Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Could we accept a huge number of migrants, but sterilize the Muslims? This would allay the fears of WorldsStrongestNerd et al (who form a good percentage of the population) by preventing them altering the demographics of the host country in the long-term.

What's worse - dying horribly in a warzone or living a long, peaceful, childfree life in a first world country?

A possibly more humane alternative is to use some kind of implanted contraception so it could be reversed later, such as when they return on their host country or renounce their faith.
Another advantage is it would discourage the economic migrants.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

tumblr.txt posted:

Could we accept a huge number of migrants, but sterilize the Muslims? This would allay the fears of WorldsStrongestNerd et al (who form a good percentage of the population) by preventing them altering the demographics of the host country in the long-term.

What's worse - dying horribly in a warzone or living a long, peaceful, childfree life in a first world country?

A possibly more humane alternative is to use some kind of implanted contraception so it could be reversed later, such as when they return on their host country or renounce their faith.
Another advantage is it would discourage the economic migrants.

here's a great humane policy: eugenics and forced sterilization

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rincewind posted:

I really, really hope it's a case of Poe's law.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

http://www.conservativehome.com/the...n-solve-it.html

I'm curious what people think of this article. It seems like it does a good job of presenting the 'right wing' side. While I don't really agree with the conclusions there are good points in there especially about the difficulty of differentiating asylum seekers/refugees from economic migrants.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Chomskyan posted:

As an American, the US has a horrible immigration policy and absolutely should absolutely accept more refugees. That said :lol: at your naked attempt to distract from the moral failings of your own government by turning the discussion to US policy.

I don't think I implied that we were blameless at all. To clarify, I think the UK's refugee policy is very bad. We get a lot of heat for that, and so we should. I'm not arguing for lessening the pressure on the UK at all, if anything it should be heightened. We need to take more refugees.

That said, it's literally unbelievable to me that the richest country in the world, and one of the most populous, accepted ~121~ Syrian refugees between 2011 and the start of 2014, so we've got to see a little more pressure there as well. Is the American media discussing this problem at all? I watch a few American poltiics shows regularly and it really doesn't seem to be a hot topic of discussion.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
You didn't answer my question. Is being unable to have any more kids worse than drowning or being shot in a warzone?

Also I am an Australian, and we successfully "Stopped the Boats". I can share more about our solution if you like?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

You didn't answer my question. Is being unable to have any more kids worse than drowning or being shot in a warzone?

Also I am an Australian, and we successfully "Stopped the Boats". I can share more about our solution if you like?

Well, hell, torturing someone to within an inch of their life isn't worse than dying, let's just stuff red-hot iron bars up the asses of prospective refugees. Tough times call for tough decisions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

tumblr.txt posted:

Forced sterilization is a crime against humanity. Fullstop.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lmaoboy1998 posted:

121 Syrian refugees in 2014. I accept that there's only a thin sliver of coast where brown people can actually live without fear of persecution but really, you guys are letting the side down.

Why should a country a thousand miles further away across an ocean take them in, instead of the even larger, just as wealthy region a thousand miles closer, not across an ocean? Like just from a logistical perspective this is a baffling complaint

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

tumblr.txt posted:

I think Europe has plenty of experience with concentration camps, actually.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tumblr.txt posted:

We could just increase their standards of living until they play MMORPGs all day. Birthrate powerbomb

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

my dad posted:

Forced sterilization is a crime against humanity. Fullstop.
Hypothetically, if one wished to help a huge group of people, but didn't want parts of their culture to propagate (lack of respect for Women etc) and harm the host country - how would you do it?

It seems to me the only other way is to ensure they are widely dispersed to prevent enclaves forming. Maybe restrict freedom-of-travel for 5 years or so, and instantly deport anyone accused of rape etc.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

tumblr.txt posted:

Yeah, the Australian system is really disgusting, maybe you could enlighten people on why we shouldn't be looking at prison islands as something to aspire to.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

Yeah, the Australian system is really disgusting, maybe you could enlighten people on why we shouldn't be looking at prison islands as something to aspire to.

Without giving too much away, don't pay the Cambodians up-front for starters :argh:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

tumblr.txt posted:

Hypothetically, if one wished to help a huge group of people, but didn't want parts of their culture to propagate (lack of respect for Women etc) and harm the host country - how would you do it?

It seems to me the only other way is to ensure they are widely dispersed to prevent enclaves forming. Maybe restrict freedom-of-travel for 5 years or so, and instantly deport anyone accused of rape etc.

You could just try to integrate them instead of treating them like a cancer that needs to be excised from your society.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think the United States should accept refugees in a large number.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

same op

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Welcome to the United States! As you are a refugee from a war zone, you have now been granted :arghfist::10bux:FULL CITIZENSHIP.:10bux::arghfist: Here is your driver's license. Here is your free access to public health clinics. Here is your library card. Here are some GROCERIES. Here is a bicycle, and a Crown Victoria and an iphone 3GS with uber already on it, now get into the arena with the rest of us gladiators, and just hope you don't get a workplace injury.

All of you, refugees from war, are welcome.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I don't think I implied that we were blameless at all. To clarify, I think the UK's refugee policy is very bad. We get a lot of heat for that, and so we should. I'm not arguing for lessening the pressure on the UK at all, if anything it should be heightened. We need to take more refugees.

That said, it's literally unbelievable to me that the richest country in the world, and one of the most populous, accepted ~121~ Syrian refugees between 2011 and the start of 2014, so we've got to see a little more pressure there as well. Is the American media discussing this problem at all? I watch a few American poltiics shows regularly and it really doesn't seem to be a hot topic of discussion.

nationalist propaganda radio frames this as an exclusively european problem while highlighting eu member state :ghost:financial troubles:ghost: to remind us that while it's tragic that Kids Dead and slash or Public Official Racist it's just an unavoidable natural tragedy like an earthquake or bombing a wedding because as everyone knows running a nation-state is exactly like running a businesshouse and sometimes you have to kill some Others tighten your belt

meanwhile, mexicans have drugs and rape and anchor babies are taking our jobs

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Why should a country a thousand miles further away across an ocean take them in, instead of the even larger, just as wealthy region a thousand miles closer, not across an ocean? Like just from a logistical perspective this is a baffling complaint

Well for one, the US had a direct hand in creating the refugee crisis through its military action across the middle east.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Sedanchair, are you proposing to take people who may not know how to drive and give them driver's licenses without proof of ability?

That aside it's a wonderful dream but will never ever happen in today's political climate. We may as well wish for everyone to stop fighting and just get along.

I propose an alternate solution: Accept 10x the current migrant intake, give them all the support they need, but Women and Children under 10 Only. It worked then and it could work now.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Well for one, the US had a direct hand in creating the refugee crisis through its military action across the middle east.

but the whole point of the eurozone is to shield us from the consequences of that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my dad posted:

As loathe as I am to say something like this, a friend of mine spent two months in a primarily immigrant Muslim town in Sweden, and her experiences were a horrifying cocktail of misogyny (up to an including rape and death threats), from men and women alike (including a little girl screaming at her that she's a vile person for watching cartoons instead of having children). How do you prevent the creation of insular, toxic communities like that one without loving over desperate people fleeing a horrible place?

Integration. Bombard people everyday with dissenting viewpoints. Expose them constantly to ideas other than the ones they already have. Require them to mix with other people in order to get the things they want. Show them why they should want the things that require integration to acquire.

Exactly the same way everyone else learns to integrate into society, a combination of pressure from their peers, material incentives for compliance, and a lack of viable alternatives.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

A ticket to the US costs less than what these people are paying to get to Europe. If your asylum quotas for Syria were wider there would be no shortage of applications for refuguees wishing to immigrate to the US legally and pay their own flight, so the ocean wouldn't make a huge difference to the 'logistics' of anything.

Both regions are trying to limit their exposure to the refugee crisis by refusing to accept a sensible number of asylum applications - for the EU this is a completely futile tactic because they can just move here illegally, for the US it is a very successful one because they can't. I fail to see how the same cynical tactic becomes more morally acceptable in the American case simply because geography had made it more effective.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact: The US contributions to the UNHCR since the Arab Spring are less than the annual military funding provided to Israel.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

tumblr.txt posted:

I propose an alternate solution: Accept 10x the current migrant intake, give them all the support they need, but Women and Children under 10 Only. It worked then and it could work now.

I don't know, your plans have a pretty bad track record.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

XMNN posted:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's fascinating how people obsessed with the preservation of culture are convinced that it's a glass menagerie. If we have too many Muslims in the country at one time, Shakespeare will just poof out of existence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

Sure, we'll accept any that get here.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chomskyan posted:

And its military inaction, given 10 million people fled Syria before ISIS was prominent. No corner of the country was safe for IDP's thanks to a systematic bombing campaign by the regime on residential areas. A NFZ would have been a huge asset in limiting the scale of this crisis, and many, many refugees still advocate for one today. It isn't just republicans that have to wear this.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Effectronica posted:

It's fascinating how people obsessed with the preservation of culture are convinced that it's a glass menagerie. If we have too many Muslims in the country at one time, Shakespeare will just poof out of existence.

It's also fascinating that the same mindset that people would've thought would be laughed at as outmoded is still good and fresh in this day and age. All you have to do is replace the word 'muslim/arab' with 'Irish/Chinese/Black/Jew/Asian/jew' and you have the exact same outmoded thought as before, it's really interesting how many Europeans cant quite comprehend how much the US had to deal with the troubles with it's own large immigrant populations, but stuck it out, dealt with it (with some awful poo poo done to the immigrants along the way) america had poo poo TONS of constant problems with immigrants and new challenges with each new wave of different nationalities, but they put effort into integrating them, and in the end benefitted exponentially from people who at one point were thought of as too 'alien' and 'different'. Entire cornerstones of what America is today and it's power comes from those immigrants who fled poo poo situations.

I think it has to do with the same type of 'yellow horde' propaganda that they're subjected to about arabs and muslims, and when you don't actively seek out knowledge and find facts it's easy to buy into cartoonish thinking about people.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 5, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tumblr.txt posted:

Sedanchair, are you proposing to take people who may not know how to drive and give them driver's licenses without proof of ability?

That aside it's a wonderful dream but will never ever happen in today's political climate. We may as well wish for everyone to stop fighting and just get along.

Yes let's keep the military-age males in the middle of history's greatest jihad cauldron, ostracized from their families.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Volkerball posted:

And its military inaction, given 10 million people fled Syria before ISIS was prominent. No corner of the country was safe for IDP's thanks to a systematic bombing campaign by the regime on residential areas. A NFZ would have been a huge asset in limiting the scale of this crisis, and many, many refugees still advocate for one today. It isn't just republicans that have to wear this.

yes

inaction

that's the ticket

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

SedanChair posted:

Yes let's keep the military-age males in the middle of history's greatest jihad cauldron, ostracized from their families.
Away from their families, on the opposite side of the world to the host country. Exactly.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Not really. While in theory, a no fly zone could be positive for Syria, historically such actions tend escalate into bids at regime change (see: Libya) which would almost certainly destabilize the country further.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tumblr.txt posted:

Away from their families, on the opposite side of the world to the host country. Exactly.

I'm glad you've chosen to socially engineer refugees for fear of their communities becoming "toxic." That's certainly the place to begin such activities, with refugees from war.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rincewind posted:

Yes.

The human population should be culled to 2 billion, tops.

All males should have vas deferens valves implanted and couples must be licensed before they can procreate.

All crises today can be attributed to too many humans.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chomskyan posted:

Not really. While in theory, a no fly zone could be positive for Syria, historically such actions tend escalate into bids at regime change (see: Libya) which would almost certainly destabilize the country further.

The US had a NFZ in Iraq for a decade prior to Iraq and all it did was prevent a second al-Anfal campaign, but feel free to try and explain to a Syrian who's family was killed by a barrel bomb that we can't stop the regime from dropping them indiscriminately because that's a gateway bomb.

In news:

quote:

Leaders in Austria and Germany have agreed to take in migrants from troubled Hungary who approach their border, the Austrian chancellor said.

In a statement posted to Facebook, Werner Faymann said that the agreement had been reached after communication with Austrian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, "due to today's plight at the Hungarian border."

Earlier Friday, hundreds of frustrated migrants left Budapest on foot and began walking toward the Austrian and German borders, their numbers stopping traffic on highways, Hungary Today reported. At a railway station in Bicske, about 20 miles west of Budapest, groups of migrants refused to be transported to a reception center, the news organization reported.

The migrants were passengers on a train that was stopped at Bicske, but said they preferred to go to Germany rather than a refugee camp, according to Hungary Today.

They said they were tricked into getting on the train that they thought was headed for Western Europe, where they hope to seek asylum.

The announcement from Faymann came after a day of increased tensions among refugees attempting to leave Hungary.

"Hundreds of refugees are currently on foot from Hungary to Austria," read a statement released by the Austrian interior ministry translated into English. "Police and Red Cross are prepared for the arrival of refugees. Every refugee in Austria can apply for asylum."

The statement further read, "A solution of the current situation can only be ensured in the spirit of European solidarity."

While the crisis came to a head on Friday, it has been building up for weeks.

The migrants are among hundreds of thousands fleeing war, poverty and prosecutions. Among them are Syrians running from Islamic State, Iraqis, Eritreans, Nigerians and Albanians.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/04/austria-germany-agree-take-migrants-hungary/71731476/

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

SedanChair posted:

I'm glad you've chosen to socially engineer refugees for fear of their communities becoming "toxic." That's certainly the place to begin such activities, with refugees from war.

Call it what you will, but I honestly believe it could be sold to first-world countries. We could save a given number Men, Women and Children, or 10 times that many Women and Children. There is no point discussing solutions that are politically impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

barrel bombs!

• Locked thread