Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ligur posted:

A good article about the Refugee Crisis - why i cry myself to sleep at night:

A shorter piece NYT - A New Wave of Migrants Flees Iraq, Yearning for Europe

Hmm

quote:

BAGHDAD — Having sold his car for $4,600, and then some of his wife’s jewelry, and having loaded his smartphone with photographs of his five children, all that was left for Haider Abdella to do was say goodbye.

“From yesterday to today, we are crying,” he said.

His mother sat next to him on the couch, sobbing. “He’s never left me before, from when he was a child until now,” she said. “How can I bear him leaving?”

Mr. Abdella, 42, a police officer, had never left Iraq — never even seen the sea. But last week, he was on a plane to Istanbul, and from there traveled to the coastal resort city of Izmir, Turkey. A day later, he was on a smuggler’s boat to Greece, crying and praying over the phone with his family left behind in Baghdad. By the weekend, he told them, he was well on his way to Germany.

quote:

For now, he has been using the Viber app to communicate with his family in Belgium, where they are living in a migration camp.

With the journey behind them, his family is adjusting to life in exile, and to the little differences between life there and life here. Meal timing has been one jarring change for his family in Belgium, Mr. Azzawi said.

There, breakfast is served at 7 a.m. “That is too early for us,” he said.

Dinner is at 6 p.m. “We like to eat at 10,” he said.

The food itself is sometimes strange. His family sends photographs of their meals. One showed what looked to be a pile of lasagna with a dollop of mayonnaise. “They didn’t eat it,” he said. “They don’t know what it is.”

He sends them back photographs of their favorite Iraqi dishes, “to make them jealous.”

Those monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ligur posted:

hulking bodybuilders from Iraq

e: ahaha nice nija edit Ligur but I spotted it! qft biiitch :D

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 1, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Refugee chat is going on hiatus for a bit.

• Locked thread