Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CSPAN Caller posted:

While it is nice to tell refugees that Germany, Sweden, and other countries are open to refugees, this doesn't seem to solve the problem of people dying en-route. Are there any plans for Europe, Turkey, etc to directly facilitate refugee transport or are they just going to implicitly condone smugglers? Do they think that a huge coast guard response is sufficient to save all the people whose ships sink?

Its a major concern, however if it was actually addressed with a sea-lift or airlift of some sort, I suspect there'd be massive political backlash. Its precarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Who the gently caress would want to go to Saudi Arabia? Or the UAE? Or Qatar?

Seriously, most of these people are fleeing the sort of people in those countries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ernie Muppari posted:

well see i know your house is on fire but your next door neighbors are just fine right this second i don't know why you think you need to move your whole fam to a nice hotel in a nicer part of town

They are likely the guys who paid the guys to light your house on fire. And they hate you!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Freezer posted:

Why is the liberal democracy of Israel, right next door, not taking in refugees? Because they're probably drafting settlement plans for their former land that's why.

Pretty much. We all know the reason they won't take them in. Because they are busy trying to turn the Palestinians into refugees as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

Maybe because the experiment has already happened and importing muslims from third world countries causes disorder, riots, rapes and violent culture clashes. Is it a liberal value to tolerate women being treated worse than animals?

That's some nice Right Wing talking points you have there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

I guess liberalism is just moral relativism.

I guess throwing all Muslims under the Fundamentalist flag and stereotyping is a general Right Wing tactic. Oh wait, it is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

That doesn't seem like too big of a group to have stereotypes about. Is that even the first step to solve the Sunni/Shia/6000 ethic group conflict that is causing this war?

So throw them all under the bus, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dmitri-9 posted:

No not the Kurds they actually like us.

50% of the refugees are children. Are you afraid the kids might try to institute Sharia law? Y'know, after fleeing an oppressive religious government in the middle of sectarian violence?

Do you get your news from Stormfront or something?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

my dad posted:

As loathe as I am to say something like this, a friend of mine spent two months in a primarily immigrant Muslim town in Sweden, and her experiences were a horrifying cocktail of misogyny (up to an including rape and death threats), from men and women alike (including a little girl screaming at her that she's a vile person for watching cartoons instead of having children). How do you prevent the creation of insular, toxic communities like that one without loving over desperate people fleeing a horrible place?

Report it to the police as harassment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

The US was never directly providing weapons in Syria, those were being bought by the Saudis and maybe the CIA helped smuggle them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...889d_story.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PerpetualSelf posted:

Are you claiming sharia fascists dont exist?

Are you claiming they all are sharia facists? Forgive me, but considering most of these people are fleeing a group trying to institute such, why should I believe your claims?

Or are you already stuck on the idea that All Muslim = Sharia Facists?

And considering your claims, most of these refugees don't seem to be enforcing Sharia law among themselves very well...

Seriously, you're an rear end in a top hat

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

The evidence employed right now against accepting further refugees is that ISIS has claimed 5000 holy warriors have already infiltrated Europa since the crisis began.

ISIS claims a lot of things. Doesn't make them valid.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PerpetualSelf posted:

Explain why secular democracy has failed to take root in any middle eastern country and why free elections in iraq, afganistan, and Egypt has only lead to people like the Muslim Brotherhood winning.

Explain why the only hope for secular government in the middle east was the B'ath party and when the United States stepped in and removed or opposed B'ath leaders the forces that took over were mostly Sharia and those seeking Democratic Secularism were minorities.

We are in a 4 way civil war where two of the combatant parties want Sharia law in one form or another. The third is a secular dictator and the fourth doesn't have a chance in hell of winning.

There are secular Muslims out there. But they're in loving Iran.

If this was the us civil war and the refugees were a bunch of southerners fleeing the south half this forum would be going on and on about how they deserved what they got for being redneck hillbilly traitor racists that enabled slavery and genocide.

:allears: Do you have any other unfounded claims you'd like to make?

PerpetualSelf posted:

If this was the us civil war and the refugees were a bunch of southerners fleeing the south half this forum would be going on and on about how they deserved what they got for being redneck hillbilly traitor racists that enabled slavery and genocide.

Wait a second...isn't this EXACTLY what you are doing? You threw all the refugees under the bus for a power vacuum that they neither wanted nor created, you rear end in a top hat.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 9, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thank goodness they fired her, what an rear end in a top hat.

For everyone else: This is in relation to a reporter who tripped a refugee in Hungary, the refugee was carrying his son. The report tripped him in order to help police.

http://www.businessinsider.com/camerawoman-tripping-refugee-in-hungary-2015-9

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ligur posted:

Yet still, somehow, it becomes very expensive. Peculiar dissonance.

Gotta let em die, its too financially difficult. *cocks shotgun* Sorry son.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ligur posted:

Nobody wants anyone to die. You know that. Come on.

Its one or the other: Either you keep complaining about the financial hardship and accept that rejecting refugees will most likely result in preventable deaths, or you bite the bullet, save some lives, and in the end probably make it out okay financially.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Financial resources exist. Borders exists and they matter, whether or not they should. The world should be fair, but it isn't. Do you want to talk about developments, realistic solutions, and the costs, problems, and benefits of those solutions, or do you want live in the ponyverse where everyone gets along and every story ends with friendship?

That isn't what he was arguing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

Remember that kid who drowned and washed up on a Turkish beach, and was used as an example of the urgency of the refugee crisis? Yeah, turns out his father was at the helm of the boat when it capsized and he was a people smuggler being paid to smuggle people to Greece.

https://twitter.com/TenNewsSydney/status/642234404710936577

.....so?

Look at this and tell me you'd stay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

It's emblematic of the fact that this is hardly a "refugee crisis" in the sense of it being a humanitarian crisis; these are economic immigrants. That's why they continue onwards to Germany & Scandinavia instead of just stopping in the first country that isn't at war, and why a huge proportion of them are young males instead of the mix of men/women/children you'd expect.

Narciss posted:

I'm not sure about a quota, but Tunisia does have a higher proportion of woman in parliament than the US does in Congress. As for your citizenship idea, my God that would be a nightmare. We'd have hordes of mainstream Sunni muslims coming in, going "yup I'm *oppressed religious minority*" and then ghettoing it up in Dearborn, Michigan.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shut the gently caress up and get out of here, you vulture.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ligur posted:

Some of you guys are really obsessed with race :stare:

Can you even about anything without mentioning black people, brown people, ayrabs, the Muslim race etc? You know, even if you think everything through some racial angle, most people don't.

We're responding to a guy noted (and probated multiple times) for his racist views.....soooooo....

Plus, are you saying that he is justified in basically going "Well, their father was piloting the boat to smuggle them out so ha ha, his kids deserved it?" Think about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

That's pretty sick. I'm saying that his father was an economically-motivated opportunist, and not the desperate "gotta get my family to safety that's all I care about" saint that we might like to assume he is.

Because getting a boat and fuel is free, right? I mean, you can just pick them up along any major shoreline with ease.

Seriously, get the hell out of here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love attempted character assassination. Especially when said person has literally lost everything he loves and holds dear. :allears:

Let's make sure to kick him while he's down, why don't we?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

But can we be sure this MUSLIM did not actually use his dear children as a disposable flotation device to get himself ashore?

Well, obviously he was heading to Greece so he could use his blood money to establish himself in Greece's thriving economy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

The guy was being championed as an example of Successful Integration because hey, it's this harmless old man who got tripped by a mean woman and now he's a football coach. Woops, turns out he's a member of Al-Qaeda.

"OMG, guy who was living in the middle of a civil war might have fought on one side or the other, SEND EM ALL BACK!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

Don't worry man I got you covered

Its cool, I got your back too:

quote:

I'm not sure about a quota, but Tunisia does have a higher proportion of woman in parliament than the US does in Congress. As for your citizenship idea, my God that would be a nightmare. We'd have hordes of mainstream Sunni muslims coming in, going "yup I'm *oppressed religious minority*" and then ghettoing it up in Dearborn, Michigan.

You're an idiot who is trying to race bait by equating that there might be a minority of BAD guys among the vast majority of innocents. So, no, your point does not stand. If he was actually part of ISIS or one of the groups, yes, deport him. But you don't get to pretend that you are arguing in good faith considering your history of race baiting and outright blatant bias.

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

The US should let in cartel members, it's not their fault that they were forced to behead people and disembowel them. Those poor, poor refugees.

"We cannot risk allowing one baddy to enter, so block em all" :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Perfect example right here, just keep calling people nazis and see how well that works out.

:ssh: Here's a hint: his post is in defense to a poster who has a noted history of racist arguments and bigoted debating points. This is not at all in defense of a good faith argument.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

False Flag Rape posted:

lol @ europe getting a jihad enema

hmmmm....*checks Rap Sheet* Yup. Thought so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:frogout: Seriously, go away. You know how many kids I did that to when I was little? Oh, right he's a BROWN kid, and you sure are scared of non-whites.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

You can't ignore economic effects when you look at what the Germans did. To chalk it up to some pinks neanderthaling-out because it's 'in their nature' is to miss a huge part of what's going on.

Surely you have some supporting evidence outside of your usual wet farts that you call evidence? Please share.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

People in this thread believe that al Nusra members are refugees.

Narciss is scared of blacks and Muslims. And you have yet to prove that man's guilt outside of Narciss' link.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"Please ignore that we are basically facists and overflowing with racism. Thanks!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Riso posted:

I have a crazy idea!

How about Saudi Arabia takes three million Syrian refugees and houses them in their air-conditioned and teflon coated fibre glass tents after the Hajj is over?

Same language, similar culture and religion! Should be easy for a petro state!

There is a reason they don't want to go the Saudi Arabia or Qatar. Probably something to do with their really lovely human rights conditions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

We can't even get to the part where we start speculating on solutions to these problems, both temporary and permanent, because we can't get past the idea that there might be problems to begin with without someone getting called a racist.

The overwhelming problem being the ones who bring up any issues that might arise have a history of blatant racism, and also tend to blow the problem out of proportion.

See: Any of Narcissis posts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:bahgawd: OUR WOMENS!?!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Clipperton posted:

What does '96 points' mean? That 96 people upvoted that comment, or what?

Yes. Yes it does.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mordekai posted:

The majority of asylum seekers are young men.

Surely young men should want to meet the face of danger head on, not flee from it. Cowards, the lot of them!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rudatron posted:

Concerns of the particularities of Islamic immigrants are overblown when you compare the same rhetoric to old anti-catholic propaganda in the US. The biggest causes of radicalization are social, not cultural, and you'll find disenfranchised Buddhists can be just as dangerous as disenfranchised Muslims. The biggest thing to remember is that muslims, like most people, are normal, which means their concerns are, in order of importance: 1) getting food on their table 2) meeting with friends 3) the ending to game of thrones 4) maybe politics. Secret plans to overthrow the EU and establish the Eurabiastan caliphate isn't on that list, that's mostly the domain of shut-in paranoid retards, so basically the muslim versions of you, ligur.

Basically this. Most, if not all, of these people fleeing just want a return to a normal life and some semblance of normalcy. Most of these people used to live in a fairly modern middle class lifestyle, and they want a return to that and not having to face possible death every day from one side or the other.

And they are willing to risk possible death to get back to a normal life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Liberal_L33t posted:

I understand the danger inherent in dehumanizing groups of people,but very recently we have already seena group of religious refugees go, for lack of a better word, "feral", attempting to when a man en masse in response to a koran being disrespected. it is unfortunate that these people are in such a desperate situation, but you can't deny that some of them hold an ideology that makes them a danger to everyone around them, and the Middle Eastern culture as a whole is tolerant if not supportive of this.

......yyyyeeeeaaaahhhh. Big wide brush strokes. That'll do it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Liberal_L33t posted:

Secularism is a prerequisite to sustainable religious tolerance. it is a form of social contract. Religions which reject secularism (which is a primarily political, not theological matter) should expect resistance to their efforts to create new religious communities nations that practise secularism.

Because you are going to make them more secular by rejecting their refugees.

Right.

You realize this sort of mindset is the root cause of so many of the Middle East issues, right?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Liberal_L33t posted:

care to elaborate? I'm not sure how to respond to this.

Please highlight your proposed solution to the refugee crisis and how its going to improve our image in the Middle East.

steinrokkan posted:

Why is secularism not a requisite of countries which have secularism enshrined in their constitutional order?

So, what, an anti-religious test? That's gonna go over well. Either way, Libera_L33t's claims of a secret plot to out-Muslim everyone else in Europe is just another strawman from the Right that only goes to cause harm to those in need most at this moment.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 29, 2015

• Locked thread