Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Letting people die, starve and rot in countries that are wartorn or fall victim to a disaster isn't cool at all, but I think it's worth acknowledging that it's not as easy as 'just letting refugees in'. By virtue of existing, everyone takes a toll on the land, the infrastructure, and the resources a given land has. Finding the room and resources for almost a million more people who are unfamiliar with your culture, your rules, your expectations -- this is hard to do, and expensive to do. If the last half a decade is any indicator, people seem to be less concerned about the economic impact and much more concerned about the cultural impact.

That is obviously a huge topic, but I really want an honest discussion without a purely humanitarian viewpoint, because while we should help our fellow man, it simply isn't that simple and saying, 'Well, it IS that simple' is pretty dishonest.

The EU countries are wealthy and large enough that they could literally take in the entire populations of Iraq and Syria combined and feed them all relatively easily. Remember literally 25% of the people living in the borders of Lebanon as of 2015 are refugees. The EU, even excluding all former eastern bloc countries plus Greece and Portugal, still have 380 million people and could take all 50 million Iraqis and Syrians without reaching half that figure

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sharkie posted:

What viewpoints other than the humanitarian should we be using to look at this problem?

Racial Cultural purity

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 4, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kaal posted:

Also Lebanon's refugee population mostly lives in UN aid camps that are run by gangs and look like this:

Dang, those tents look pretty lovely. I'm sure they'd all prefer a watery grave at the bottom of the Mediterranean, or life in an ISIS rape camp

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TBQH I'm not convinced this whole Syrian Civil War thing isn't just a sham put on by those dastardly Arabs to infiltrate Europe and pollute our pure culture

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Teddles posted:

I think that Europe would be a lot more willing to accept lots of refugees if other countries around the world besides those near Syria (the Gulf States for example) were making an effort to accept refugees. As it is, while a photo of a drowned child might create some sympathy for a week, in the long run it doesn't do much more than play into the anti-immigrant crowd.

What other countries around the world are there? The EU comprises literally over half of the total population and GDP of the developed world. Who else is supposed to take them? Australia? Japan? The US?

This would be like if a homeless, starving person asked me for food and I got pissy because lots of other people don't give homeless people food, but also I owned over half the wealth in the entire world

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's pretty surreal as an American to see educated, nominally liberal first worlders basically argue for white supremacist immigration policy

One of the cool things about liberalism as an ideology is that it can tolerate individuals who don't agree with each other, on things like religion, social values, etc. It shouldn't be surprising, then, that the people bitching about the drat Muslims not sharing our values don't actually believe in liberalism

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 4, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Maybe because the experiment has already happened and importing muslims from third world countries causes disorder, riots, rapes and violent culture clashes. Is it a liberal value to tolerate women being treated worse than animals?

The correct terminology is "urban ferals stealing our white women" As in all things, Europe is decades behind the times on this

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lmaoboy1998 posted:

121 Syrian refugees in 2014. I accept that there's only a thin sliver of coast where brown people can actually live without fear of persecution but really, you guys are letting the side down.

Why should a country a thousand miles further away across an ocean take them in, instead of the even larger, just as wealthy region a thousand miles closer, not across an ocean? Like just from a logistical perspective this is a baffling complaint

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Seeing countries that are a hair-length away from electing actual neo-fascist parties to government in reaction to 10% of their population now being ethnic minorities, criticizing the United States for racism, is one of the best things. Irony is dead, and we're currently beating its corpse with lead pipes and kicking the poo poo out of it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Baron FU posted:

Shut the hell up. These things happen, especially in low income areas where extremism thrives. You are in no position to question how a working class/poor southern white feels or their experiences regarding the blacks or Mexican immigrants.

I'm tired of rich and intolerant people on this forum hating on the poor and working class.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Haha, 'our' disaster? I reckon your inability to keep your dick out of the Middle East might have played a small role in it mate. Unbelievable.

A better suggestion than yours: Stop waiting for us to solve this unilaterally and behave like human beings.

I mean if you don't give a poo poo about the refugees and don't want them in your country say so, but don't do this thing where you point at the US and scream about it as if it has anything to do with that country and not Europe

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

chessmaster13 posted:

Money is not the problem you say? Does this money come from thin air?
My prediction is, that many much needed things wont happen because of this crisis.
Our roads already look like poo poo and there not enough daycares (every child has claim to a place in a daycare here).

I not patriotic, in fact I see countrys like shared flats, and there is a limit on how many people can crash on the couch and take things from the fridge.

literally MY TAX DOLLARS. glad to see european political economy progress to 1968. welcome to the future

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What's the counterpoint, though? That countries are actually endowed with infinite resources or something?

They're endowed with enough resources to easily accomodate all the immigrants they are facing. Even more so because those immigrants themselves are in fact resources which contribute to the economy of their new countries

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

Whatever may be done to guard against interruptions of supply and to develop domestic alternatives, the U.S. economy will require large and increasing amounts of minerals from abroad, especially from less developed countries. That fact gives the U.S. enhanced interest in the political, economic, and social stability of the supplying countries. Wherever a lessening of population pressures through reduced birth rates can increase the prospects for such stability, population policy becomes relevant to resource supplies and to the economic interests of the United States.

MIGF, is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eventually I'm sure the average third worlder will have so many poisonous metals in their bodies we can just harvest them directly from the surplus population. Win-win IMO

• Locked thread