Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I had to wait until I'd finished my library books and then dig out the box with all the mystery novels! My edition is the 1946 Literary Guild edition, with lovely illustrations by William Sharp, so it was a nice read. Actually, a re-read, because I've had this book, in one version or another, for several decades.

I like the different perspectives to the case and the use of diaries and reports, which technique was, of course, used by the likes of Bram Stoker and H.P. Lovecraft. Having different voices present the evidence works well for me.
I admit that the first time I read this, I suspected the perpetrator based entirely on the initial description of him. Not because I'm super-smart and detective-y, but as a teenager living in foster care, that type of person was inevitably a nasty creep. Therefore, he's guilty. Which is not a reasoned judgement even if I was right.
The Miss Clack narrative was perhaps the most "difficult" for me, because I despise that sort of person soooo much.
A bit of good ol' English "but he looks weird, you guys!".
Also, the general "can't let the Indians have it because now that we stole it it's ours forever and the rightful owners aren't allowed to steal it right back from us" attitude, even, supposedly, from the Bombay Police. Their religion is weird, so they can't have their property back.
Jennings and Murthwaite were the only ones with any real sense. Cuff was pretty good, but let his one bias interfere, so he loses points there.

Also, I hate writing book reports. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any last minute suggestions for the poll for next month before I scrounge together something from the recent posts in the Recommendations thread?

Something by Robertson Davies.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ok, but he's been suggested before and included in polls and nobody bit. Which book and why should people read it?

High Spirits. It's short, it's funny, and it's good for a discussion on the merits of the ghost story. (I love ghost stories.)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Oh, and this is my comment:

The real question I have about the book is the extent to which Collins was deliberately painting the Indian characters as heroes. To a modern reader they come across that way; they certainly seem to win in the end; but I'm not sure what message Wilkie was trying to send. Was he defending "natives" ? Implicitly critiquing colonialism? Just writing a good story that played on the doubts as to the validity of their colonial enterprise that even the most British Britisher must have, on some level, had? I don't know!

How common was the protest against colonialism for that time and amongst that social class?

• Locked thread