Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Asmus has said he has more planned but he was on Unity until recently and is now working on All New Inhumans for Marvel which is a great book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Asmus has said he has more planned but he was on Unity until recently and is now working on All New Inhumans for Marvel which is a great book.

I am reading inhumans I just want more adventures of the two and goat.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

When did Faith and Archer first meet? Did it happen in Harbinger? I still haven't read that series.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Adnor posted:

When did Faith and Archer first meet? Did it happen in Harbinger? I still haven't read that series.

It's complicated! Technically Ivar first brought it up in Archer and Armstrong. Though they didn't actually meet until Aric got married in XO.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

It's complicated! Technically Ivar first brought it up in Archer and Armstrong. Though they didn't actually meet until Aric got married in XO.

From Ivar's first appearance

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ah cool, thanks. I've read A&A and I bought Faith #1 because I read a lot of recomendations and there they already knew each other so I wondered when it happened.

I should have started reading Valiant before, it's really good!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is Shadowman any good? The last storyline in Ninjak made me interested in the character, but is he almost a completely different character now? It seems that they have completely made him into a villain at this point. How is the Punk Mambo series?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Shadowman any good? The last storyline in Ninjak made me interested in the character, but is he almost a completely different character now? It seems that they have completely made him into a villain at this point. How is the Punk Mambo series?

I think the first few by Justin Jordan are good, but the stuff after isn't very good. Punk Mambo sucks also it's only a one shot. But I kind of hate that character anyway.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The best shadowman is 0 and 10(?), which are the prequels. The rest is emo Jack, and is bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

gently caress I just finished Rai. Is 4001 out yet?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Shadowman - Agreed with other posters, the prequel issues are the best, Jack just isn't given enough proper villainy/occult mess to overcome (as of the third trade, so far as I know). Doctor Mirage is a waaay better occult series.

Bloodshot - Finally caught up to the trades I think, up through Bloodshot Reborn Vol.1. The H.A.R.D. Corps stuff was an overall valley compared to previous volumes, but I still enjoyed the hosed-up origins of all the teams and how their powers were comparably half-assed compared to everyone else in Valiant. Plus that one scene of the stoner teammate talking a hulking beast-man of an opponent into surrendering and feeling horrible about it - pretty well done at times, but Reborn is still better.

Rai - Just finished volume one, good god that artwork is slick, can Rai fight Battle Angel Alita on top of Earth-blasting New Japan and get it over with?

Only a little farther to go until Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong series are caught up...here's to going out on high notes!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

2016 is going to be a hell of a year for Valiant.

https://twitter.com/ValiantComics/status/707956665602195458

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

2016 is going to be a hell of a year for Valiant.

https://twitter.com/ValiantComics/status/707956665602195458

Assume that's going to be the mystery character in 4001

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Deathmate event will be comprised of a series of variant covers where the Valiant heroes are all flipping the bird at Rob Liefeld.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Deathmate event will be comprised of a series of variant covers where the Valiant heroes are all flipping the bird at Rob Liefeld.

Only half the books come out on time and the rest come out 6 months late.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Everyone should be reading Imperium. The lack of sales does not reflect the quality of the comic. Best drat comic on the shelves and it deserves more sales than it is getting.

Everyone read Imperium and urge your friends to read Imperium.

Quoting this from a couple months ago because it and other Imperium posts from January made an impression on me but I wanted to take my time and read through all of Valiant's offerings on the way to Imperium.

Now that I've read the first trade? Yeah, any blue feelings I had over Harbinger ending (aw man...) were met with equal elation over how great a start Imperium is into the evil version (aw yeah!). Plus the H.A.R.D. Corps are still around to get their asses kicked! Everyone comes out ahead.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Caught up on Ninjak and Bloodshot.

Analogue Man has been really amazing so far. Magic :smith:. I didn't like the Ninjak goes to alternate dimension magic land as much as the first arc but I do appreciate that it was something completely different and it' still one of my favourite comics.

edit: How is there such a gulf in class between Bloodshot and Extraordinary X-Men. Unless, there are two different Jeff Lemires or something. Am I crazy?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 13, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Book of Death - Oh, so that's how The Valiant was supposed to end! I can't imagine what it would have been like to wait an entire year between events for all of The Valiant's major threads to resolve here, but nevertheless, what a ride. I'm liking Gilad more than ever and feeling really hyped for Wrath of The Eternal Warrior now.

Is my hype warranted?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Very much.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
In true Venditti style, Wrath moves perhaps a bit slowly for some folks. But I thought it was great and well paced, so YMMV. I'm guessing that if you like XO's pacing, you'll be more than okay with Wrath.

I'm of the opinion that too slow is much better than too fast, so that is the side to err on. For instance, the second arc of Ninjak could have easily been spread through two more arcs, and Im sure everyone would be okay with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Valiant continues to give away the best promotional poo poo

Divinity 2 pen, Faith Sharpie, A&A coaster post-its and bottle opener.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh man, just found out about the audio drama thing they're doing.
http://www.pendantaudio.com/shows/ArcherArmstrong

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deathmate is a new character from Lemire in the Bloodshot Island storyline. Here's our first look at her in action.

That gorgeous art!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I know its a bit redundant but needs to be said. A & A and Imperium are awesome. If you are not reading them you are missing out.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

For some reason I don't want to like A & A, but I keep reading it because it's great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

For some reason I don't want to like A & A, but I keep reading it because it's great.

Why don't you want to like it you son of a lady dog?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 16, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Why don't you want to like it you son of a lady dog?

I don't know, alright! I don't usually read superhero stuff but I gave Valiant a try last year and now A & A is one of my favorite comics.

I need to read Bloodshot now I guess. I hope it goes on sale or something soon before 4001AD. I hope the entire Valiant catalog does because I'd probably buy everything since the relaunch that I don't have.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

I don't know, alright! I don't usually read superhero stuff but I gave Valiant a try last year and now A & A is one of my favorite comics.

I need to read Bloodshot now I guess. I hope it goes on sale or something soon before 4001AD. I hope the entire Valiant catalog does because I'd probably buy everything since the relaunch that I don't have.

They had a huge rear end sale a couple of weeks ago. I assume that bloodshot might go on sale before the Deathmate is introduced as they seem to be pushing her. They also had a sale on the entire catalogue a month ago or so. I am also with you, as the only thing I really need to read is bloodshot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I am looking to get into Valiant and only have the miniseries Valiant and Bloodshot reborn. What are the titles that need to be read?

It's been really fun watching bobkatt go from here to the forum's foremost Valiant evangelist in two months. It's a great company and I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a BSS/internet in general following, because they tend to do the opposite of things that I see people complain about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Part of me just wants to get everything off my list and just get valiant books only, sometimes.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I did that, and now I am spending way too much money on Valiant. I have everything digitally thanks to Comixology sales, and have all their titles in my pull box. Also, I'm starting to pick up the hardcovers.

They are really the best in the business, though I don't really like the new A&A as much...

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I only buy Valiant and Image comics. I like a few Marvel titles but I don't want to spend anymore on comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

It's been really fun watching bobkatt go from here to the forum's foremost Valiant evangelist in two months. It's a great company and I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a BSS/internet in general following, because they tend to do the opposite of things that I see people complain about.

Have you accepted Toyo Harada as your lord and savior?

Barristicide
Sep 2, 2012

I... might have bought all these in the last month or so. You think your wallet is safe when you vow to only buy really good comics. Then you start reading Valiant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Harbinger Wars and Divinity are triggering me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Harbinger Wars and Divinity are triggering me.

Armor Hunters is a thing of beauty

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's kind of funny Armor Hunters deluxe makes X-O deluxe 3 redundant

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want to branch out a bit from the Big 2 for hero books. My favorites characters are Thor and Batman.

What should I check out here first? I'll be buying hardcovers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Norns posted:

I want to branch out a bit from the Big 2 for hero books. My favorites characters are Thor and Batman.

Archer and Armstrong and XO are good starting points. Harbringer is also pretty important as it introduces the major villain of the entire universe, plus Faith. If you like Batman Bloodshot might also be a good jumping on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Norns posted:

For my friend who likes Batman, I gave him a Ninjak trade and he loved it. Think a good mixture of James Bond, Batman, and a ninja.

Otherwise, for generally getting into the universe, I usually recommended reading The Valiant, then Book of Death. You'll be introduced to a whole bunch of characters who you can look into, and a few series branch off of those.

There are a lot of fun entry points, though. XO, Bloodshot (Reborn or vanilla) Harbinger, A&A and even Imperium can be jumped into. For a couple, you have a series you can read for more background. For instance, folks can jump into the excellent Imperium and later read the lead up, Harbinger, to learn how the world ended up that way. Good times. Lots to dive into.