Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barristicide posted:

I... might have bought all these in the last month or so. You think your wallet is safe when you vow to only buy really good comics. Then you start reading Valiant.

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to buy the Unity and second A&A books.

I really want to start getting those classic Valiant books but I have little attachment to those versions anymore. I really want them to start collecting the Acclaim comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's kind of funny Armor Hunters deluxe makes X-O deluxe 3 redundant

I just looked that up. That's really funny / strange.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LordPants posted:

I just looked that up. That's really funny / strange.

Valiant deluxes are weird, if you want the complete story you are gonna double dip a lot.

So this is actually an improvement.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Valiant deluxes are weird, if you want the complete story you are gonna double dip a lot.

So this is actually an improvement.

Kinda... Reading the trades is hard because if you want to read the intended order, you read one issue from one trade, hop to another trade to read the second issue, and so on. The hardcovers for Armor Hunters and Harbinger Wars are all in order, so they are so much better.

But why they didn't start XO's third hardcover after Armor Hunters is beyond me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's because some people won't bother to buy the AH HC.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can you get the essentials just from reading X-O Vol. 3?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LordPants posted:

I dunno, I bought Armor Hunters. Is Vol.3 even out yet?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It releases this month. Same for Book of death deluxe I think.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

Most likely, and you can get the trades to fill in the Harbinger and Bloodshot parts which are more or less stand alone.

But Armor Hunters is already out, and 100% of the third XO hardcover is in the Armor Hunters hardcover. So instead of making people confused, why not just make them pay the extra ~$10 or so for the Armor Hunters HC and pick up XO at 30? At this point, people are either going to buy 1,2 and 3, skipping AH, or 1,2,AH skipping 3. Or buy everything and feel ripped off because they bought the same comics twice. Dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LordPants posted:

You mean skip reading Armor Hunters? I would not recommend that, it's one of the best comic crossovers I've ever read.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

You mean skip reading Armor Hunters? I would not recommend that, it's one of the best comic crossovers I've ever read.

No I mean X-O volume 3 has the armor hunters issues and the X-O issues but not the unity and uhhh harbinger(?) issues.

This was an idle question, I've got them all on comixology anyway :getin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Most likely, and you can get the trades to fill in the Harbinger and Bloodshot parts which are more or less stand alone.

But Armor Hunters is already out, and 100% of the third XO hardcover is in the Armor Hunters hardcover. So instead of making people confused, why not just make them pay the extra ~$10 or so for the Armor Hunters HC and pick up XO at 30? At this point, people are either going to buy 1,2 and 3, skipping AH, or 1,2,AH skipping 3. Or buy everything and feel ripped off because they bought the same comics twice. Dumb.

Well clearly AH should have been titled "X-O Manowar Vol.3: Armor Hunters" but somebody at Valiant decided they could make money off the people who don't care about the crossover.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

No I mean X-O volume 3 has the armor hunters issues and the X-O issues but not the unity and uhhh harbinger(?) issues.

This was an idle question, I've got them all on comixology anyway :getin:

XO 3 is missing the Unity, Harbinger and Bloodshot issues. Literally the only thing it'll have over AH is the variant covers in the back, from what I can tell. There will likely be overlap there as well...

Honestly, the only reason I would recommend XO3 over AH is if you really need to save the extra $10 but are still buying comics, or if you will get upset if your books are numbered 1,2,AH,4.

Just get the AH hardcover. It's a thing of beauty.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If the Book of Death Deluxe doesn't contain the Geomancer issues I'm going to cut someone. I'm not paying for floppies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It only contains the main series and the fall of.... Going by the solicits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

If the Book of Death Deluxe doesn't contain the Geomancer issues I'm going to cut someone. I'm not paying for floppies.

quote:

Collecting BOOK OF DEATH #1-4, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF BLOODSHOT #1, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF NINJAK #1, BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF HARBINGER #1, and BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF X-O MANOWAR #1 now in a deluxe oversized hardcover format!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hold you personally responsible since you gave me false hope in the last thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I hold you personally responsible since you gave me false hope in the last thread.

It sounds like those issues are getting their own super limited HC. If I can get one you get first dibs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

It sounds like those issues are getting their own super limited HC. If I can get one you get first dibs.

If you're wrong this time you will pay.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Yeah let me know too if its possible to get one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It sounds like it's gonna be a one per store kind of thing. I will ask Adam when I see him on Saturday.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bleedingcool, I know I know, is saying that Valiant has signed up or extended 15 artists for exclusives ahead of C2E2. That list is: Doug Braithwaite, David Lafuente, Trevor Hairsine, Mico Suayan, Raul Allen, Brian Reber, Diego Bernard, David Baron, CAFU, Khari Evans, Robert Gill, Clayton Henry, Lewis LaRosa, Pere Perez, Juan Jose Ryp. Which is pretty much all of Valiant's main artists outside of Clay Mann, signed with DC, who I will miss on Ninjak.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Rhyno posted:

What is your source on this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rusty Kettle posted:

What is your source on this?

I am friends with a few people that work at Valiant who like to hint at stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why would they make a collection that limited a run. It's loving dumb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would they make a collection that limited a run. It's loving dumb.

Are you unaware of how rare the singles were? It was an incentive to get your shop to order more copies of the main series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I actually was not, but still that gimmick has run its course.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, that mini wasn't even released on Comixology, which is pretty much all I use for comics these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually was not, but still that gimmick has run its course.

This was a unique book, not just a cover. Kind of ballsy for a small company to pull a stunt like that. The initial claim was they would never reprint them. The current teased rumor is they will do a HC but it would be a one per store deal.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They also do some really great incentive covers which look amazing but no chance I will ever see one in my tiny shop.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I would be first in line for a hardcover even though I am a dumb baby who hunted down all the issues. They are pretty drat good, and give some great background into the lore behind the whole Valiant universe.

That being said, Dinesh has gone on record dozens of times that they will not be reprinted, so I am pretty skeptical of those rumors.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Just going to pick up all the recommendations you guy tossed out. I needed an excuse to get some stuff with my Secret Wars HC anyway.

That and I've never really had a bad recommendation from any of you :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So did the book of death ending change the fates of all the characters? The prophecy did not come to pass, but we know due to 4001 that some of the fates do happen.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

bobkatt013 posted:

So did the book of death ending change the fates of all the characters? The prophecy did not come to pass, but we know due to 4001 that some of the fates do happen.

I dunno. Ivar makes it seem like it'll happen one way or another, but then again the end could make the future able to be changed....

I think we should follow the advice of Ivar and realize that you shouldn't think too hard about time travel and let things play out. I have a feeling that while the whole 'bad guy kills everyone' event won't happen, most of the story beats including the Fall Of stuff will happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I dunno. Ivar makes it seem like it'll happen one way or another, but then again the end could make the future able to be changed....

I think we should follow the advice of Ivar and realize that you shouldn't think too hard about time travel and let things play out. I have a feeling that while the whole 'bad guy kills everyone' event won't happen, most of the story beats including the Fall Of stuff will happen.

The one that definitely happened as written was Ninjak since it has a connection to 4001. I do hope that the fall of fates still happen since they all really fit the characters. I also want to see more of pirate armstrong.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I would be first in line for a hardcover even though I am a dumb baby who hunted down all the issues. They are pretty drat good, and give some great background into the lore behind the whole Valiant universe.

That being said, Dinesh has gone on record dozens of times that they will not be reprinted, so I am pretty skeptical of those rumors.

Yesterday at C2E2 at a Valiant panel, Legend of the Geomancer came up and CEO Dinesh said that while they wanted to make the comic an object fans had to track down, they never intended for it to become a scalpers' treasure that marked up to $25-50 online. He said that they would somehow distribute the remaining issues they still have around, though I'm not sure the actual method.

There's a deal at their booth, six volume 1's for $30. Lots of hardcovers calling to me, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got some one on one time with Dinesh and Adam today. When i pressed Adam about the HC edition he firmly said "I'm not allowed to talk about that" and winked. Dinesh smiled and said "He's not allowed to talk about that."

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The end of the second feature in the Bloodshot Reborn annual was magical. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So some of the other stuff I talked to the V-guys was about creators. DC went after the Valiant artists and writers hard according to Adam. They made Clayton Crain an to come to DC and do a book of his choice but since he's so invested in what they're doing he declined. They tried to steal David Lafuente away before his first A&A even hit and it's a similar story pretty much everywhere. Venditti was offered exclusivity and turned it down. Basically DC tried to lock in everyone doing Valiant work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC made smart choices there, glad to see these guys like what they've built at Valiant though. Any word on what Van Lente is doing next? Dinesh said a while back he'd already handed in scripts for his next book but there's been no announcement yet.