Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
If I bought this now could I make my own server shard and pump up xp so as to take away the horrendous grind and play this more or less as a coop game with friends.

Also need a boat like in uo. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ShadowMoo posted:

T-t-t-triple post.

Also I don't have the patience for MUDs like I did back when I was a kid. I keep trying to get into them, but with F2P graphical MMOs the need is gone. All the one's I've tried are either entirely devoid of life or somehow horribly p2w.

you don't have the patience for modern graphical mmos either lmao

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I got a couple 7 day trial codes for the alpha for Shards Online. Join the discord and message me, these are actually limited so only take if you're genuinely interested.
https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Is this subscription based?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

Is this subscription based?

Buy2Play with shards/clusters being hosted on your own machine or through their service similar to Minecraft's "realms" program.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I got a couple 7 day trial codes for the alpha for Shards Online. Join the discord and message me, these are actually limited so only take if you're genuinely interested.
https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

Have any left? I can see myself losing a lot of time to this game, would like to make sure before I drop $40.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I tried it via ADL's promo code, and IMO it needs a lot of work. I couldn't really even get to the meat of the game due to personal annoyances with the UI. As far as I could tell, everything was being done serverside - this meant that all UI interaction (opening pack, grabbing item, opening character window) were all paired with a second or two of lag. Also, while the UO-style backpack is different, they didn't do it well and so the novelty wears off really quickly. In its current state it feels like a system they really wanted into their game and so forced it in, not one that just works well at its core. The combination of unresponsiveness and small icon sizes makes the entire inventory thing a pain in the rear end. All I could think the entire time was "this is why new games don't use this type of inventory management". Lastly, there was no minimap, only a fullscreen toggleable one (with the aforementioned input lag) and that also got old really quick.

For core gameplay, the amount that I did actually absorb was forgettable and trite. How many shovelware MMOs have I killed rabbits, snakes, deer, and bandits in by spamming the same newbie spell? Too many. Everything stunk of the standard medieval fantasy MMO tropes. I'm not going to complain too much about the lack of tutorial or direction due to the game being in alpha but I had little to no clue what to do so I just ran around aimlessly hoping I'd find something interesting. Lastly, the world was already littered with lovely personal housing and they have a tiny player base - what's it going to look like when the game goes live?

I could go into more detail or hone my post to read better but who am I kidding, this game is in alpha so it doesn't even matter. It could turn out okay and maybe even fun to play with goons, but it really does need a lot of work.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Official endorsement of sorts. Lead dev is a really cool guy and he's on our Discord now.

:siren:Awful Citizen/Tempus Thales got in contact with Supreem (lead developer on Shards Online) and he's worked out a Q&A for us on Wednesday, June 29th on the community discord @ 5PM EST. If you're even remotely interested in Shards, you should be there so you can ask your own questions. :siren:

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586Q9op9Fn

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 21, 2016

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Official endorsement of sorts. Lead dev is a really cool guy and he's on our Discord now.

:siren:Awful Citizen/Tempus Thales got in contact with Supreem (lead developer on Shards Online) and he's worked out a Q&A for us on Wednesday, June 29th on the community discord @ 5PM EST. If you're even remotely interested in Shards, you should be there so you can ask your own questions. :siren:

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586Q9op9Fn

I got 10 more keys if anyone wants one PM me here or @TT in Discord

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Tempus Thales posted:

I got 10 more keys if anyone wants one PM me here or @TT in Discord

PM sent.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yea I'll ask some questions later. I like the game conceptually but the UI really needs some work and like any other games like this, a playerbase (1 other person last time I got on).

It also needs quite a bit of content work, like the only offensive magic spells appear to be really limited in nature. Wiki and a quick glance made it look like it was just fireball and lightning.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
UI really needs to be simplified. Other than the connection issues (obviously going to be a thing considering it's pre-alpha) it has a lot of potential. Feels like a mix of Asheron's Call and UO. Bag graphic bothers me but when I opened my bank for the first time t was a huge nostalgia hit.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Kortel posted:

UI really needs to be simplified. Other than the connection issues (obviously going to be a thing considering it's pre-alpha) it has a lot of potential. Feels like a mix of Asheron's Call and UO. Bag graphic bothers me but when I opened my bank for the first time t was a huge nostalgia hit.

This is basically how I felt. It doesn't hold your hand much and there is something lovely about watching mining going up 1 point at time... and only collect stone not ore for some reason.

Definitely a pre alpha, tons of lag and super janky at best but I can see the potential.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Don't forget the Q&A with Supreem next wednseday (June 29) @ 5pm EST at the SA Goon Discord - https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

I have two keys left...

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
0.3.4 Patch Notes: Catacombs Lower Level and so so much more!

• Player Run Merchants
      Anything can be listed for sale including containers with items inside
    • Initial charge of 100 coins and 10% commision for all sales.
    • In Celador, they are found wandering the Refugee area. In Outlands, they are at the Celador gate.
    • There is a new engraving tool for sale at the general store that can be used to rename containers in your possession. This allows you to mark chests with items for sale so they can be identified by potential customers.
  • Unity 5 Upgrade
      Along with the Unity 5 upgrade comes some miscellaneous graphical improvements.
    • Some users may notice a slight performance improvement
  • Catacombs Lower Level
      5 different configurations that randomly change like the upper level
    • New raid boss encounter – Death
    • Mini bosses –
        Warpsoul the Crusher (Wraith Knight)
      • Ghost of the Dead Giant (Giant Phantom)
      • Sidcharm the Reanimated (Revenant)
      • Rahab the Madame (Succubus)
    • New Enemies – Death Skulls, Succubus, Gargoyles, Ravenous Ghosts, Hell Guard, Banshee, Void Shadows, Void Ogre, Fiends, Tainted Imps
    • New Quests
        Fruit of Life – Find the Fruit of Life in the Catacombs
      • General of the Enemy – Find the general of Kho’s armies and slay him.
      • Beast of the Void – Slay the Void Guardian
    • New Items
        Book of Portal Summoning – Allows user to open a portal to their bind point once every three hours.
      • Magnifying Glass – Gives you a short description of an item.
      • Unique weapons – Scythe of Death, Ghostsplitter, Guard of the Void One, The Void-Reaver, Fist of the Necromancer, Scepter of the Soul-Swallower, The Void Defender, The Skullbreaker, The Soul-Stealer, Blade of the Strangers
  • Outlands Content
      New Quests
        The Insurrection – Ascertain the nature of the rebellion in the Outlands
      • The Dragon of the Outlands – Slay the dragon in the Outlands
      • The Would-Be-King – Kill the rebel leader for the Guardian Order
      • The Puppet – Kill the Mayor for the Outlands rebels
    • Dragon Encounter
        Dragon has been updated with new combat abilities and butchery resources.
    • Rebels
        Rebels of the Guardian Order have set up camps in the outlands.
      • New faction in the outlands called Outlands Rebels.
    • Tameable Young Dragon – Obtained from dragon eggs after the dragon is slain. Requires 50 Animal Ken.
  • Necromancy Skill – A combination of direct damage and summoned minions makes any master of this skill a force to be reckoned with. The higher your skill, the more minions you can control at one time (up to 3).
      Void Blast – Sends a blast of Void energy at your target, damaging your opponent and and draining his mana.
        Mana Cost: 25
      • Required Skill: 0
    • Reanimate Skeleton – Raises a nearby skeleton from a corpse to do your bidding. Skeleton Minions are do not despawn and can be trained and equipped with a weapon.
        Mana Cost: 100
      • Required Skill: 10
    • Soul Drain – Drains your opponent’s health while regaining some of your health.
        Mana Cost: 25
      • Required Skill: 20
    • Grim Aura – Create an aura of negative energy around a specified area, making whoever in it take more damage for a short period of time.
        Mana Cost: 50
      • Required Skill: 30
    • Summon Imp – Summons a miniature demon that aids you in combat temporarily.
        Mana Cost: 75
      • Required Skill: 30
  • New Manifestation Spells
      Chain Lightning – Shoot lightning out of your hands at the opponent, bouncing onto nearby foes.
    • Ice Rain – Rains down ice shards at target location
  • New Potions (Alchemy Recipes)
      Stoneskin Potion – A potion that raises defense but decreases attack
    • Haste Potion – A potion that increases attack speed but decreases dodge and blocking chance
    • Bloodlust Potion – A potion that increases damage but decreases defense
  • Cooking Skill Improvements
      Cooking Bonus system now allows for ingredients to add any type of bonus effect.
    • Cooking also allows for both flat bonuses and multipliers
    • Ingredients have been updated to provide a wider range of effects. (Previously was limited to regeneration effects.) Now includes damage, soak, stamina use, mana use, evasion, recovery etc.
    • Certain ingredients modify the behavior of the final product rather than adding a specific bonus.
        Potency (Modifies the effects of ALL ingredients in the final product)
      • Fillingness (Modifies how full the food will make you.)
      • Duration (Modifies how long the food bonuses remain in effect for)
    • Examples (All ingredients were re-done to ensure they were providing some bonus, this list is a small subset of examples.
        Demon Blood (Butchery)(HPR/MR/SR  +.3 to all)
      • Rabbits Food (Butchery)(SR + 10%, Duration -10%)
      • Ginseng (Foraging)(All Effects Potency +5%, Fillingness +10%)
      • Lemon Grass(Foraging)( Effect Duration +5%, Fillingness + 10%)
    • **Reminder: Food bonuses are shorter than the digestive process, so what you eat, is as important as when you eat it.**
    • **Note: It is possible to make food so filling you are unable to eat it, though this will come from ingredients which modify fillingness rather than just the amount of food in the cooked in the pot. (You will get a warning if the amount of food in the pot exceeds what you can eat while starving).**1/
  • Mob Collision (Prototype)
      First Pass on mob collision. There are known issues with getting stuck inside large mobs.
  • New Player Guild
      All new players are automatically put in the guild “Recruits of the Order”.
    • GMs are leaders of the guild and can assist new players in guild chat.
  • New Player Status
      For 2 in-game play hours, new players have Initiate status and do not drop their bags on release.
  • Map Markers for Corpse and House
  • Rare Crafting Resources – Ingredients for new equipment qualities
      Durable Wood – Some trees have a slightly different appearance and give this type of wood.
    • Blightwood – Blightwood is no longer obtainable from any Black Forest tree. Must find unique blightwood trees. Blightwood trees can now be found in the graveyard.
    • Vile Blightwood – Chance to harvest from blightwood trees starts at 30 skill and maxes out at 30% chance at 50 skill.
    • Gleaming Iron – Chance to harvest from iron starts at 10 skill and maxes out at 30% chance at 30 skill.
    • Crystallized Cobalt – Chance to harvest from cobalt starts at 30 skill and maxes out at 30% chance at 50 skill.
    • Fluffy Cotton – Chance to harvest from Cotton plants. Used to create Quilted Fabric.
    • Golden Spider Silk – Chance to harvest from high end spiders. Used to create Royal Silk Cloth.
    • Brute Leather Hide – Harvested from animals (more rare than regular leather) crafted into gilded leather
    • Beast Leather Hide –  Harvested from high end monsters crafted into beast leather
    • Fabled Beast Leather Hide – Harvested from certain bosses and rare animals.
    • Spectral Bones – Crafted from Cursed bones and Deathly Miasma
    • Toxic Bones – Crafted from Cursed bones and Toxic Saliva
  • New Equipment Qualities
      Robust – 40% more durable than Sturdy, 1 extra improvement
    • Stalwart – 80% more durable than Sturdy, 2 extra improvements
  • Outlands and Catacombs Maps
      Ingame maps can now be obtained for these areas.
    • Outlands map is gained from the Rebel quest.
    • Each of the 5 catacombs maps are obtained by completing the quest for killing Death on that dungeon configuration.
  • Fixed issue where WASD movement would cause framerate lag in the catacombs
  • All action commands (dancing etc) should now work again
  • Characters now smoothly rotate when they turn
  • Crafting skills now play an animation while crafting
  • Torches and other light sources automatically turn off during the day
  • Trees now have falling animation
  • Animals with custom combat abilities will now use them in combat
  • Slowed down loading wormhole animation
  • You can now extinguish campfires
  • Add delay to closing/opening doors
  • Iron and Cobalt nodes will eventually decay if they can not be reached
  • Blightwood can no longer be obtained from just any black forest tree. Blightwood trees are visually distinguishable.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Where do you all play? I just started this afternoon and it was really laggy - all of my clicks took a couple of seconds to register. Moving and skills were fine but selecting items or talking to npcs etc was frustratingly slow. Would a murder squad on the rp server be something anyone would be interested in? In character of course - don't want to break any rules!

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Patch notes look awesome, I haven't had much time to play but I'm itching to get back in - having said that, where the hell do I mine actual ore? Anywhere I go it's just stone.

rio posted:

Where do you all play? I just started this afternoon and it was really laggy - all of my clicks took a couple of seconds to register. Moving and skills were fine but selecting items or talking to npcs etc was frustratingly slow. Would a murder squad on the rp server be something anyone would be interested in? In character of course - don't want to break any rules!

The lag and rubber-banding is really bad, on the verge of unplayable for me pretty much all the time. It's pre-alpha super early dev so I just live with it for now with hopes that it improves soonish.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

rio posted:

murder squad sounds like mayhem. and since the dev wants goons murdering pubbies, we should obligue.

I am playing in the main server (Celador) as AwfulCitizen

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 24, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I think I'll roll there then. I thought the rp server would be embarrassing and fun to see but it is a wasteland

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

[CS Official][Cluster][Shards of Aria (AzureSky)(0.3.3)

AwfulCitizen - Warrior
AwesomeCitizen - Mage

I'll be in #shards-online at the SA Discord.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Patch notes sound nice. UI and lag still needs work though.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Guild made:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

gently caress yeah. How does one join a guild in this game - fave to face? Going to make a character there in like 10

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Also it is saying that the goon discord posted above has expired

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Tried to get some more time in, but the guards suddenly decided they wanted to kill me at random as I'm walking around town. :shrug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is fun, don't ruin it by playing with goons

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
here let me play out exactly whats going to happen

hey guys im making this guild for this fun game
oh poo poo its not fun anymore probably because of goons
oh i gave a bunch of poo poo to goons and someone ran off with it or was super loving goony and the guild split

okay I saved you a lot of time and effort, go play with someone else

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also yes im sure griefing people will fun, its not going to happen in large scale, and all thats going to happen is guilds that don't care about the whole "pubbie" thing will kick the poo poo out of the goon guild because they have a lot more people, all of whom like the game outside of the few times they get to kill people

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Lol this is dumb why do goons do this

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Eonwe posted:

here let me play out exactly whats going to happen

hey guys im making this guild for this fun game
oh poo poo its not fun anymore probably because of goons
oh i gave a bunch of poo poo to goons and someone ran off with it or was super loving goony and the guild split

okay I saved you a lot of time and effort, go play with someone else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDOPPNAq2w

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Eonwe posted:

game is fun, don't ruin it by playing with goons
Explain to me how to have fun, or progress, in this game. So far I hit a training dummy while afk and got my stats up to max and 20 in a bunch of skills. And I still can't kill a god drat beetle.

So far the goon guild is really chill and everyone seems just as clueless. It's more like a gathering of players from here learning the game.

I am also going to stick with the game until I get a good handle on things so don't take this post as a complaint. I'm just clueless. I might try the shovel in the graveyard thing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 24, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad you are having fun in the guild, enjoy it while it lasts

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The key to having fun in goon guilds is to not give a drat about anything

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

In this game however I'm not yet sure

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Oh I backed this thing a long time ago. Can't wait to loot the guild stash

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Eonwe posted:

im glad you are having fun in the guild, enjoy it while it lasts

eonwe #guildleader for lyfe.

ok?

lol

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Khorne posted:

Explain to me how to have fun, or progress, in this game. So far I hit a training dummy while afk and got my stats up to max and 20 in a bunch of skills. And I still can't kill a god drat beetle.

So far the goon guild is really chill and everyone seems just as clueless. It's more like a gathering of players from here learning the game.

I am also going to stick with the game until I get a good handle on things so don't take this post as a complaint. I'm just clueless. I might try the shovel in the graveyard thing.

I started killing chickens, deer and going to the cementery and killing bats and worms. also ask questions in #shards-online at Goon Discord, the developers hang at that channel from time to time and so does the group that is playing now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hmm

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
when does tempass fails ninja loot the gbank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just stole everything out of the gbank and deleted my character get poo poo on nerds