Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Bad games.

They're sort of everywhere. You have your traditional bad games where people obviously just didn't give a poo poo, to major releases that honestly tried and unfortunately failed. From shovelware on your iPad to top-tier PC or PS4 games. It's a reality every system has to face. Not only that, but people buy these games. Sometimes it's older grandparents who don't know better. Sometimes it's because a little child really wants it.

And sometimes it's because a bunch of stupid nerds buy them ironically to do let's plays for the internet for other nerds.

Welcome to the Bad Games Megathread. Here, we are all somewhere in the ranges above. Some of us have had these bad games bought for us, or we were tricked by screenshots and misleading trailers, or simply spent hard-earned money on a product we knew was crap but hey, why not? We want to show them off because we literally don't have anything better to do with our time, apparently.

Games are linked to their OPs and listed alphabetically.

Rules
1. Don't be a dick. Respect people's spoiler rules, if any.
2. Don't worry about how many updates you can pull out of the game. If you want to do a one-off, that's fine. If you want to do a full, 100% LP that's fine too.
3. If you just want to cross-post your thread supplying an awful game that has it's own LP, either be the LPer or get consent from the LPer first. Respect all their spoiler rules still.

Megathread Games
1993tris ... by Faerie Fortune
Amazon Trail ... by Faerie Fortune
Bad Games Streamaganza ... by Cowman
Batman: Dark Tomorrow ... by kalonZombie
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts DLC ... By Dex01 and Vilemoon
Cry of Fear ... by chocolatekake
Dr. Ruth's Computer Game Of Good Sex ... by Faerie Fortune
Dragonball: Evolution ... by corn in the bible
Eternity's Child ... by Cowman
Garfield Games ... by LORD OF BUTT
Gran Turismo 2 ... by Great Joe
The Last Hope For the Young Century: Banzai Pecan ... by Doseku
Mario Teaches Typing ... by Faerie Fortune
Metal Reaper Online ... by Twiggy Mouse
Orc Attack Flatulent Rebellion ... by Doseku
Pandora: Purge of Pride ... by Nidoking
Pound the Ground ... by Nebiros
Redneck Racers ... by Combat Lobster
Secret of the Magic Crystal ... by Faerie Fortune
Seven Samurai 20XX ... by mateo360
Star Trek ... by kalonZombie
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness ... by corn in the bible
Trains vs. Zombies 2 ... by Namtab
Valhalla Chronicles ... by OldManMarsh

Other LPs
Bubsy ... by CJacobs
Jotun ... by Alexeythegreat

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Star Trek was a show that originally aired for three seasons in the late 60's. It painted a positive future for humanity, searching for other life forms in space to co-exist and learn about. While some episodes were action-packed, most episodes involved quiet introspection and learning to live with each other despite racial, cultural, and political differences. Very rarely were problems solved by shooting an enemy into oblivion, the humans of the future having supposedly evolving past such barbarism. It is one of the single most recognizable pieces of science fiction on the planet.

In 2009 JJ Abrams took the quiet introspection of the series and then took a huge steaming dump on it, turning the whole thing into a mindless popcorn action flick where the solution to any given problem is shoot lots of guns at it. All of the characters are exaggerations of themselves and everything is so bright and bloomy that you can barely see what's going on. It sucks and I hate it.

In 2013, in order to bridge the gap between the movie and the sequel, a game came out. Simply called Star Trek, just to cause further confusion if you are talking about the original show, the movie reboot, or the game, the game is a cover based shooter with RPG elements. It also features online co-op for you to play with your friends. It's also very shoddily made and clearly was a quick cash-grab made for people who didn't know better. I still don't know if it's worse than the movie or not.

There are no cut versions of these videos because this game doesn't deserve it.

Episode 1: Fire Bad
Episode 2: Low profile
Episode 3: Handi-Capable
Episode 4: Guarding the Fire
Episode 5: Turret Friend
Episode 6: Jump
Episode 7: Fock
Episode 8: Teleport
Episode 9: Turbo(lift) Tunnel
Episode 10: Mind Meld
Episode 11: The Script

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 5, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm tempted to play through Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate for this. But that would require me to start up that bullshit game again. I'm not ready for that sort of commitment.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oh come on, Scruffy. If you're planning to do Arkham Knight as well, you'd almost have to do Blackgate just for completion's sake. :D

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well I do have a copy of Too Human around here. And I happen to know somebody who actually likes the drat game.
Let me see if I can make things happen.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Hell yes, this thread. I'm going to learn how to play Friday the 13th for the NES because twenty plus years later, in still convinced it is a decent game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

Well I do have a copy of Too Human around here. And I happen to know somebody who actually likes the drat game.
Let me see if I can make things happen.
Please. Isn't that the game that was withdrawn and is literally impossible to get due to legal fuckery? It'd be a public service!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Not sure if there are any bad games left that I want to LP. I've kinda done them all. :v:

Maybe there's something I can dredge up from the edges of my memory.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Awww, maaaaan. I love that this thread exists again, because there are some real stinkers out there, and awareness of them is a good thing, but at the same time... I'm a gaming masochist, and I know I'm going to end up trying to record things for it... :(

...Welp, time to check my Do Not Reinstall tag on Steam... :|

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yay, this thread :)

I need to polish up my Pathfinder Online videos (or do a proper one with no stream audience) so it can join in the great collection of Awful MMOs.

Here's the playlist of the videos I made for this thread's last incarnation.

MMOS: Bad the Ugly and Mediocre

There's a video that I dont' think I posted in the original thread - a little look at character generation in a couple of games. It was originally streamed, so I'm occaisionally talking to viewers rather than commmentating.

Awful character customisation or... 'They go out, they go in'.

I'm pondering dusting off Daikatana too, but will happily take suggestions for awful mmos that 'deserve' a few minutes in the limelight.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I got some things to say about Gran Turismo but I don't feel like doing more than maybe a couple videos or starting my own thread to say it. Is that cool?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

~Doin' the electric slide~

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Action Shot

e: and in the time it took me to post this, I've been beaten

Jothan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 5, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Ah, star trek. There are times when both of you are quite and the game isn't audible. It would be "nice" to hear just how bad the game is.

Great Joe posted:

I got some things to say about Gran Turismo but I don't feel like doing more than maybe a couple videos or starting my own thread to say it. Is that cool?

Rule 2 in the OP says one-offs are fine.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, I have looked through my library, and have the germ of a short series. However, I need a co-commentator who likes Eberron. It's a borderline case, but anyone who wants to assist, let me know. :D

Major_JF posted:

Ah, star trek. There are times when both of you are quite and the game isn't audible. It would be "nice" to hear just how bad the game is.

Yup. Although from what I could hear, it's pretty, er... Generic. Of all the sins a game can commit, blandness is among the worst. :(

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

JamieTheD posted:

However, I need a co-commentator who likes Eberron.

Eberron is the best post-2e setting and better than all of the other standard settings combined.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

JamieTheD posted:

Okay, I have looked through my library, and have the germ of a short series. However, I need a co-commentator who likes Eberron. It's a borderline case, but anyone who wants to assist, let me know. :D
I quite like Eberron, though I only really know it from DDO.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

JamieTheD posted:

Yup. Although from what I could hear, it's pretty, er... Generic. Of all the sins a game can commit, blandness is among the worst. :(

Eberron rules, but if one more person says DDO is a 4e video game. (I want a Fire Emblem style tactics D&D 4e game so badly.)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm sure I have something in my library I can do for this thread.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

This is really great, but there's going to be an even better gif moment coming up. Probably be about the third episode, depending on how long Kalon makes these.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
well I guess I better start editing the 6 hours of Too Human footage I recorded.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Eberron rules, but if one more person says DDO is a 4e video game. (I want a Fire Emblem style tactics D&D 4e game so badly.)

Sadly, the chances of ever getting a 4E game are pretty much ruined thanks to Atari just sitting on the license and doing NOTHING with it for the entire run of 4E. Would've done wonders for the edition's popularity too.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
...well they did make Daggerdale.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Loving the Trek LP so far.
Anyone, as an aside, got a link to the original incarnation of this thread? I just realized I never did finish it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

WilliamAnderson posted:

DDO is clearly a 3e based video game.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Loving the Trek LP so far.
Anyone, as an aside, got a link to the original incarnation of this thread? I just realized I never did finish it.

It vanished I think. Might still be in the archives?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

OmanyteJackson posted:

well I guess I better start editing the 6 hours of Too Human footage I recorded.

Maybe I just have poor taste, but I kind of dug the concept behind Too Human, even if the plot and gameplay were trash.

And they were trash.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I liked the idea behind Too Human, but not being an Xboxer never got a chance to play it. Sorry to hear that it's bad

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I remember beating Too Human and getting pissed that there was no real conclusion. Of course I bought the game a few weeks after it came out so I didn't know then that their fuckup of a studio would never make the sequel. On the other hand, techno-magic Viking Gods was a cool setting and I don't remember hating the gameplay.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I love bad games. I have so much fun with broken terrible poo poo and it's just so much fun to play completely broken pieces of poo poo. I'm going to do Eternity's Child my personal favorite of bad games. It's got 20 levels and it's one of the worst platformers I've ever played. I'll try and get some videos recorded this week and do an actual post with it. It'll be my first real LP :D

Edit: I've beaten it and have apparently spent 11 goddamn hours on this piece of poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Did anybody else notice that T'Pal is wearing high heel boots?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

anilEhilated posted:

Please. Isn't that the game that was withdrawn and is literally impossible to get due to legal fuckery? It'd be a public service!

Wait, what? I know the studio imploded or something, but nothing else. And I too would love to see an LP of this game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

AltaBrown posted:

Wait, what? I know the studio imploded or something, but nothing else. And I too would love to see an LP of this game.

Wikipedia posted:

On July 19, 2007, Silicon Knights sued Epic Games due to "breach of contract", including "inadequacies" of Epic's support, service, and cooperation with Silicon Knights concerning Unreal Engine 3. Among claims, Silicon Knights accused Epic of missing the deadline to provide a fully functional version of their engine.[21][22] On August 9, 2007, Epic Games counter-sued Silicon Knights, claiming that it was using its engine without paying royalties. On May 31, 2012, Epic Games prevailed in the lawsuit and was awarded $4.5M in damages.[23] Silicon Knights has been forced to recall and destroy all unsold copies of their Unreal Engine games.[24] In January 2013, Silicon Knights served a recall notice to Microsoft to remove Too Human from the Xbox Marketplace. Even though the product page is still visible, the game and the associated digital content are no longer available to download from the Games on Demand service.[25]

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Oh ouch. Too Human was a bigger clusterfuck than I had thought.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Lemme just say that the summary doesn't give the whole deal justice at all. It was just too much :effort: to actually pull together the whole thing. You should look up Denis Dyack and all of his poo poo to see the whole story of why this happened, as it spans multiple games and studios.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JamieTheD posted:

I love Eberron, I'd be up for helping out.

As far as DDO, it was based off of 3.5. Neverwinter is the 4e MMO, and it's.. okay, as long as you like super-samey builds with little actual character progression.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I think I have found it. I will soon begin to record Seven Samurai 20XX

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To clarify, Silicon Knights basically got a UE license so they could steal massive swaths of code from it wholesale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

AltaBrown posted:

Oh ouch. Too Human was a bigger clusterfuck than I had thought.

It wasn't just Too Human, I remember X-Men: Destiny getting tanked under the whole fiasco as well. Not that it was much of a loss. I snagged it as a freebie from redbox before the whole court case went down, and I wanted a refund. It looked like early PS2, maybe if I were being generous, early Xbox level graphics on the Wii, which I know isn't a powerhouse, but it can do way better than that. Awful, sloggish combat, lousy controls, I don't think it belongs in this thread because there's not even anything to make fun of, it's just poo poo.

• Locked thread