Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So whatever happened to that sequel anyway? Probably just never crawled out of the grave that the first game made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I think her weakness is that you have to shoot her when she is doing windmills with her arms.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
i think that game's weakness is that it sucks

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

kjetting posted:

I think her weakness is that you have to shoot her when she is doing windmills with her arms.

Hammurabi posted:

i think that game's weakness is that it sucks

both of these are probably true.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Who's ready for more Seven Samurai 20XX where we are going to a bridge.

Chapter 1 - To The Silver Bridge

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 30, 2015

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
... Weird. Mateo, did we stop talking after the 10 minute mark when we were recording? Because our commentary got cut off.

I say the ex-Streets of Rage-mecha-samurai got head lice form the hobo's clothes he borrowed. And that explains why he touched his receding hairline.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 30, 2015

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Ok, audio should be working now.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

mateo360 posted:

A lot of the stupid ideas here would have been fun and quirky in a good game, like the "calories burned" counter for yourself and the character you control. I even think that there's potential for a good game in the general idea of "sci fi anime seven samurais", but the thing about good beat 'em ups and crowd combat games is that they're good despite the silly framework, not because of it.
How about getting to play as the six other samurais? How about making the fights challenging instead of just "mash square to win"? Most importantly, how about trying to make the game fun?

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but

Don't know that there's much else to get out of this train-wreck besides frustration and horrible translations, but here's the next part.

Ep 3: Where Childrens Are

There might be more, but in addition to all the other problems this game has, the game servers aren't particularly stable.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

mateo360 posted:

I think the combo names are names of types of samurai or something. I'm not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatamoto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gokenin

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kalonZombie posted:

Oh hey, the game throws some "variety" at us at last. Too bad it all pretty much sucks.

Episode 3: Handi-Capable
It's incredibly depressing to someone like me who played through the 'golden age' of Trek games in the late 1990s/early 2000s to see that this is basically the only game we will get for awhile because CBS seems content to kill off what's left of the Star Trek brand, rather than do anything with it.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Are you guys ready for a deviant art style beat em up with bunny girls.

Today I bring you.

The Last Hope For The Young Century: Banzai Pecan
Bonzai Pecan: Episode 01
Banzai Pecan: Episode 02 - Chemical Plant
Banzai Pecan: Episode 03 - BunnyCon
Banzai Pecan: Episode 04 - Ruined City
Banzai Pecan: Episode 05 - Sex Dungeon?
Banzai Pecan: Episode 06 - Rooftops

Doseku fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 24, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sexualization of violence on and by women? Enemies with no wind up frames for movies? Heavy enemies that can't be stunned or reliably countered? And more? Quite the masterpiece you found there.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Doseku posted:

Are you guys ready for a deviant art style beat em up with bunny girls.

Today I bring you.

The Last Hope For The Young Century: Banzai Pecan
Bonzai Pecan: Episode 01

The icing on the cake is that Flan will berate you for picking green zone (Easy) so much so that there will also be this huge green arrow on your hud the entire game that does nothing at all.

God, this thing is a mess. Like it feels like it's running at a higher speed than it should, but it's not. I assume the developer couldn't figure out how to delay individual frames in an animation because most frames last for one game tick. Your punches come out so fast that they sometimes don't chain properly causing you to miss a lot of the time; and your dodge move is completely useless. Also the audio mixing is poo poo from the ground up. The voice acting is so loving quiet compared to the blaring music; not to mention there is an enemy that replaces the heavy in easy mode and their voice clip is hosed up with some noticeable clipping going on whenever they attack. Holy gently caress, how did the developer not notice these glaring rear end problems!?

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 6, 2015

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Combat Lobster posted:

The icing on the cake is that Flan will berate you for picking green zone (Easy) so much so that there will also be this huge green arrow on your hud the entire game that does nothing at all.

God, this thing is a mess. Like it feels like it's running at a higher speed than it should, but it's not. I assume the developer couldn't figure out how to delay individual frames in an animation because most frames last for one game tick. Your punches come out so fast that they sometimes don't chain properly causing you to miss a lot of the time; and your dodge move is completely useless. Also the audio mixing is poo poo from the ground up. The voice acting is so loving quiet compared to the blaring music; not to mention there is an enemy that replaces the heavy in easy mode and their voice clip is hosed up with some noticeable clipping going on whenever they attack. Holy gently caress, how did the developer not notice these glaring rear end problems!?

My guess. He did notice and was either too incompetent or too apathetic to fix them.

Probably both really.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's incredibly depressing to someone like me who played through the 'golden age' of Trek games in the late 1990s/early 2000s to see that this is basically the only game we will get for awhile because CBS seems content to kill off what's left of the Star Trek brand, rather than do anything with it.

I remember Star Trek Online being cool and good, with a good-ish mix of exploration and combat for Federation players, at least. It's been a while since I've seriously played it, though. Right now, I have to admit I just putter around on it to play pretty space-princess dressup :shobon:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
UPDATE

Have some more of this awful game. Now with Heavy sigh and DynamiteKidd

Chapter 2 - Art of Junk Life

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

mateo360 posted:

UPDATE

Have some more of this awful game. Now with Heavy sigh and DynamiteKidd

Chapter 2 - Art of Junk Life

Ah, Malatora. That was one of the weirdest and most fun threads I've ever been involved with.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time to move onto the chemical plant and new enemies.

Banzai Pecan: Episode 02 - Chemical Plant

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The two-wheeled balancing contraptions are called Segways. I don't think I've ever seen one in real life, but they seem to be pretty popular in fictional contexts.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time for BunnyCon.

Banzai Pecan: Episode 03 - BunnyCon

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Nidoking posted:

The two-wheeled balancing contraptions are called Segways. I don't think I've ever seen one in real life, but they seem to be pretty popular in fictional contexts.

I've seen 'em on occasion but for the life of me I can't really see the point. I guess it saves energy on walking around if you're doing a job where you need to be on your feet all day but it doesn't move fast enough to be good for anything else and it seems like a lot of expensive technology went into solving the balance problem when "a third wheel" would have done the same thing for about ten bucks. None of these are original critiques in the least but they've always seemed the most salient points to me.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

I've seen 'em on occasion but for the life of me I can't really see the point. I guess it saves energy on walking around if you're doing a job where you need to be on your feet all day but it doesn't move fast enough to be good for anything else and it seems like a lot of expensive technology went into solving the balance problem when "a third wheel" would have done the same thing for about ten bucks. None of these are original critiques in the least but they've always seemed the most salient points to me.

To star with I do agree that they more of a toy then anything else.
The segway actually has 2 speed limits: standard that tops out at 4mph and fast that tops out around 12-15mph.
I am guessing that it was originally intended as a bike replacement for areas that would not allow for that type of length.
But, again they are just trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist and are reduced to being toys for rich people.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're being used a lot for camera work, where being able to control your motion without using your hands is super useful, but also without the sway and instability of an unsupported camera being walked around.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Episode 2 of Pound of Ground is up with Major and Zain this time around. I managed to fix some of the issues, I actually remembered to make the game visible (I'm sorry) and... I recently moved and the room my computer's in is currently empty so my mic sounds worse than usual. Sorry about that. In this episode, we get a new gun and I'm down a bottle of Whiskey.

Pound of Ground Episode 2

On a side note, we joked last episode about the game using stolen music. I wanted to share this of my raw upload on youtube for commentary.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 13, 2015

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
There was talk of how the developer was infatuated with abbot and Costello jokes. Perhaps there is something to that considering that there was a picture of Abbot and Costello right next to the piano player in the bar.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 13, 2015

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

goatface posted:

They're being used a lot for camera work, where being able to control your motion without using your hands is super useful, but also without the sway and instability of an unsupported camera being walked around.

And they make the perfect device to attempt to cripple Usain Bolt.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

The only time I've seen one was back in college; there was a guy who rode one just about everywhere. It was annoying because the thing took up nearly the whole sidewalk and the sea of inter-class traffic would have to part just for this one guy going twice as fast as anyone else, and I used to wonder what kind of jackass honestly thought that he was so much better than anyone else that he'd do this.

Then I saw him try and walk without it and that's how I learned that apparently Segways are effective mobility tools for people with cerebral palsy.

Also, fun fact, the owner of Segway (the company) died in a Segway accident.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

For how bad everything else in the game is, the animation of the main character is pretty fluid. I wonder which game they traced her movements from?
Apart from that, everything in this game is just wrong and bad.
By the way, is Flan a self insert character for one of the developers? She really feels like it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Jothan posted:

Also, fun fact, the owner of Segway (the company) died in a Segway accident.

Didn't he go off a cliff on one or something?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

kjetting posted:

For how bad everything else in the game is, the animation of the main character is pretty fluid. I wonder which game they traced her movements from?
The vertical jump looks pretty bad regardless of its origin.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Doseku posted:

There was talk of how the developer was infatuated with abbot and Costello jokes. Perhaps there is something to that considering that there was a picture of Abbot and Costello right next to the piano player in the bar.

You made me go back and watch the video more than I wanted to. And no those two are Laurel and Hardy. The smart/bumbling are switched along the fat/thin line from Abbot and Costello to Laurel and Hardy.
Although I do understand why I didn't see it the first time around. My brain was trying to save itself from the cut scenes of this game.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Hoss Corncave posted:

Didn't he go off a cliff on one or something?

Yeah; he tried to back up to give someone room on a path and (coroner) "As a result of that he's got into difficulty."

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

kjetting posted:

By the way, is Flan a self insert character for one of the developers? She really feels like it.

That's the feeling I've been getting as well. Either an insert of one of the devs, or the girlfriend of one.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

How does this even exist :stare:

There were so many parts where I desperately wanted to take my headphones off to make the voices stop, but I had to hear your reactions.

The "What?" "Why?" exchanges definitely sound like someone trying to mimic Who's On First without even slightly understanding why that skit works. The result is cringeworthy.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Echo Cian posted:

How does this even exist :stare:

There were so many parts where I desperately wanted to take my headphones off to make the voices stop, but I had to hear your reactions.

The "What?" "Why?" exchanges definitely sound like someone trying to mimic Who's On First without even slightly understanding why that skit works. The result is cringeworthy.

All of the skype noises in the video are because I legitimately didn't know about them until I was editing. I plug headphones into my laptop, this time it was Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Tenggar Cavalry and Arkona. In the first episode I had to stop myself from pulling my headphones. Trust me, I understand.

Edit: Major and I were having this discussion this afternoon actually. I'm pretty sure you're right about the translation being the most likely culprit. It just lacks the charm of something like Stalker's translation. With that said, I have to wonder if the humor is still going to fall flat just because of how long the scenes drag on.
vvvv

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 14, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think the developers are literally translating jokes from their native language and the idioms are making absolutely no sense in English. That and the voice actors are trying to cover up their accents with the thickest American accents they can think of.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Pound of Ground looks kinda like Armed & Dangerous but worse in every single way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Pound of Ground looks kinda like Armed & Dangerous but worse in every single way.
Cutscenes or gameplay? Because there's quite a difference there.

edit: Oh poo poo, it's that Majer. I might have to do a little effortpost later, this game has quite a genealogy of poo poo. Sneak peek: it's fourth in a series.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Cutscenes or gameplay? Because there's quite a difference there.
Gameplay. A&D is barely mediocre in the walking sections once the novelty of the Land Shark Gun wears off.

• Locked thread