Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The justice cut and agenda are identical.
Edit: this is repeated by the previous post, ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mors Rattus posted:

Will this include mods to the core playbooks to make them work better with it?

Like I feel that some of the gear options ('the Overlord's weakness') and playbook history stuff (and the Harbinger in general) are going to need some shifts to deal with There Is No Overlord.

I think with The Horizon, the Harbinger turns into someone from or touched by unknown points in The Horizon, and the weakness is some kind of way to navigate The Horizon, a map or compass or something.

You've run into that kind of character before, right?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Xelkelvos posted:

Will any of the expansion playbooks make it into Inverse Fellowship or will it be its own thing with The Horizon and those five Playbooks?

It will be its own thing. I am planning to consolidate all the expansions into another big book with The Empire at some point, though.

Double Plus Undead posted:

The text for Make it personal and Wrong them is repeated in the pdf.

Golden Bee posted:

The justice cut and agenda are identical.
Edit: this is repeated by the previous post, ironically.

Whoops! I'll need to fix that.

Mors Rattus posted:

Will this include mods to the core playbooks to make them work better with it?

Like I feel that some of the gear options ('the Overlord's weakness') and playbook history stuff (and the Harbinger in general) are going to need some shifts to deal with There Is No Overlord.

Yes, I already have some plans for the Harbinger and the Heir specifically, but I'll be looking over all the existing playbooks and including a chapter about converting them for the Horizon in the final product. Any mention of the Overlord's Weakness or Sources of Power needs to be replaced by... something. I haven't decided exactly what, yet. But this is also something that I'll need to do with the Empire, so I'll need to start figuring something out there.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ahhhh Inverse Fellowship is going to rule so hard

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo Inverse Fellowship, gently caress yes

This is some extremely good news.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man that sounds cool.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

gnome7 posted:

Yes, I already have some plans for the Harbinger and the Heir specifically, but I'll be looking over all the existing playbooks and including a chapter about converting them for the Horizon in the final product. Any mention of the Overlord's Weakness or Sources of Power needs to be replaced by... something. I haven't decided exactly what, yet. But this is also something that I'll need to do with the Empire, so I'll need to start figuring something out there.

Local/regional legends might be a thing here. Sure, the Overlord's not going to tearing out a dragon's still-beating heart as a Source of Power, but everyone tells tales of the Mountain That Is Dragon and its molten heart, and its existence is core to the local area's scenery and history.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is The Empire available? I can't seem to find it but apparently there are people who can play with it?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Xelkelvos posted:

Is The Empire available? I can't seem to find it but apparently there are people who can play with it?

That would be weird, because I haven't written it yet. I've talked about it a few times but no, it isn't available yet. The Horizon is the first alt overlord I've actually written.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I must have misread a post or two then

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
:five:

I haven't read through it yet but I just want to say The Horizon owns as a concept. The focus on a main big bad is one of the major constraints for the system, and this makes the game a lot more versatile.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Looking forward to a Fellowship Collector, though I'm sad that the Captain didn't make it, it was my favourite IW playbook. But with the Ship not being tied to a playbook, maybe it would work better as a Destiny?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I really enjoy The Horizon; it's perfect for a loose sort of hexcrawl. It would be really neat if some of the moves/advances centered around environmental dangers: storms, wild animals, starvation, getting lost, things like that. I dunno, maybe a Ryuutama-style game would require a very different sort of Overlord.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Horizon v2 is now available for playtesting.

It contains a few wording improvements here and there, the Seeking Justice agenda doesn't list the same thing twice, and I've added a few pages of "so here's what changes when you use the Horizon playbook instead of the Overlord" to the end. This includes things like changing Weaknesses out for Protection, changing Sources of Power into Artifacts of Power, and changing the End of Session questions.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
I bought Gnome's Panic at the Dojo a few days ago, and I'm so excited and inspired by it!

Is this the right thread to ask questions about it, since it's another Gnome game? Or should I head somewhere else?

The questions I've had so far are:

1) The FATAL & Friends review says about the Patient Style "Side note on this one - the description in the text seems to suggest that the intent is to build up a bunch of numbers, then blow them all at once for one killer turn, but as written, that seems like it's impossible, because the style doesn't offer any exceptions for the "one action per turn" trait."

My theory is that the intention is to build up lots of numbers, then switch styles and use them up that turn, with the new style. Is that correct or am I missing something too?

2) I'm confused about when heroes can forgo the Default Bonus (+2 max HP), and what forgoing it means.

Can heroes forgo the Default Bonus during battle, or only before it?
If they forgo the Bonus during battle, do they lose 2 current HP, or does their maximum just decrease by 2?
Does every hero lose the Bonus in exchange for one Bonus/Penalty, or does only one hero lose the Bonus in exchange for one Bonus/Penalty?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

gnome7 posted:

The Horizon v2 is now available for playtesting.

It contains a few wording improvements here and there, the Seeking Justice agenda doesn't list the same thing twice, and I've added a few pages of "so here's what changes when you use the Horizon playbook instead of the Overlord" to the end. This includes things like changing Weaknesses out for Protection, changing Sources of Power into Artifacts of Power, and changing the End of Session questions.

This is looking great. Friends already were interested after I showed them the first draft you posted; we might end up doing something with the Horizon, so an updated version is really nice.

One question, though; for the different Seeking options, some have "<verb> them" as their Agenda, while others have it as their Extra Cut. Is that intentional? Specifically, Seeking Progress and Virtue have it as their Extra Cut, while everything else has it as the Agenda, making those two seem out of place. For Seeking Virtue in particular, "Threaten the innocent" seems like it's more fitting as an Extra Cut.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 11, 2018

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Sanglorian posted:

I bought Gnome's Panic at the Dojo a few days ago, and I'm so excited and inspired by it!

Is this the right thread to ask questions about it, since it's another Gnome game? Or should I head somewhere else?

The questions I've had so far are:

1) The FATAL & Friends review says about the Patient Style "Side note on this one - the description in the text seems to suggest that the intent is to build up a bunch of numbers, then blow them all at once for one killer turn, but as written, that seems like it's impossible, because the style doesn't offer any exceptions for the "one action per turn" trait."

My theory is that the intention is to build up lots of numbers, then switch styles and use them up that turn, with the new style. Is that correct or am I missing something too?

2) I'm confused about when heroes can forgo the Default Bonus (+2 max HP), and what forgoing it means.

Can heroes forgo the Default Bonus during battle, or only before it?
If they forgo the Bonus during battle, do they lose 2 current HP, or does their maximum just decrease by 2?
Does every hero lose the Bonus in exchange for one Bonus/Penalty, or does only one hero lose the Bonus in exchange for one Bonus/Penalty?

I was considering making a thread for Panic at the Dojo but I wasn't sure anyone would use it. This thread is as good a place as any, for now. Maybe after I release Final Bid in a couple months I'll make a master thread for Liberi Gothica Games (PatD, Fellowship, Final Bid, Breakfast Cult).

1) Your theory is correct, the intention is to build up a bunch of numbers, use Waiting Game to make them bigger, and then switch styles to take a turn with many very large numbers. Patient Style will pass the numbers over to your next Stance when you switch over to it.

2) At the beginning of battle, the heroes may forego the bonus before the fight starts. If they do, they have the same max HP as the enemies, instead of the 2 HP boost. Every hero loses the default Bonus. In exchange, one hero gets a single Bonus of their choice, or gives one enemy a Penalty of their choice.

It usually isn't worth it, the +2 HP advantage is very nice to have. But sometimes you might want to do something weird, so the option is there. For example, if one player has a combo that relies on power tokens, they could take the bonus to just get 4 Power Tokens to kickstart their combo.

Roland Jones posted:

This is looking great. Friends already were interested after I showed them the first draft you posted; we might end up doing something with the Horizon, so an updated version is really nice.

One question, though; for the different Seeking options, some have "<verb> them" as their Agenda, while others have it as their Extra Cut. Is that intentional? Specifically, Seeking Progress and Virtue have it as their Extra Cut, while everything else has it as the Agenda, making those two seem out of place. For Seeking Virtue in particular, "Threaten the innocent" seems like it's more fitting as an Extra Cut.

I wanted all of them to have matching agenda names but couldn't find a better wording for the Seeking Progress one, but this is just a draft so I was fine with releasing it in the form it is in now. I'll hopefully figure out some wording to make them all match later.

So yes the matching names are intentional, but I'm not so married to the theme that I would stick to it when I couldn't think of a way to fit the theme.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I've been noodling around with this system a bit since finding it the other day, and I was wondering if anyone had come up with a good way to use The Pair to represent a fusion or combiner type character- two characters who physically and mentally combine into one, but can split at will too. I figured you could just do it as a flavor thing and use the Fated Pair to represent them just working best as one unit, since the mechanics already combine their stats? Or would there be a better or more flavorful way to do this?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Two questions:

1) How exactly do spider traps work? Should, for example, Manipulate/The Catch be used as triggers for finish/keep busy/etc or is their effect intended to purely be fictional positioning (potentially providing Advantage)?

2) We're playing online, with a couple of hours running time and our advances are coming very frequently as a result; is it fair, in this circumstance, to go down the list every few sessions, or maybe just be pickier about the questions?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

spectralent posted:

Two questions:

1) How exactly do spider traps work? Should, for example, Manipulate/The Catch be used as triggers for finish/keep busy/etc or is their effect intended to purely be fictional positioning (potentially providing Advantage)?

2) We're playing online, with a couple of hours running time and our advances are coming very frequently as a result; is it fair, in this circumstance, to go down the list every few sessions, or maybe just be pickier about the questions?

1) It's mostly fictional positioning, but fictional positioning counts for a lot in this kind of game. Manipulate and The Catch can be used to basically succeed at Overcome/Get Away without rolling if you use them right before someone is put in danger.

2) Yeah in my own campaign I've started to only bother with the list every few sessions. Players advance very quickly when you decide not to include experience points in your game, it turns out! Pacing an advancement system is hard and basically why Fellowship is my only game that has one so far.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Thanks!

gnome7 posted:

1) It's mostly fictional positioning, but fictional positioning counts for a lot in this kind of game. Manipulate and The Catch can be used to basically succeed at Overcome/Get Away without rolling if you use them right before someone is put in danger.

Right! So, in essence, they're not triggers for things like keep busy, they just straight up happen and frequently give you the sort of outcomes you'd expect of strong hits. That's quite powerful! Thanks.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I have questions about Panic at the Dojo! Rubble is specified as costing an extra speed token. Likewise, diagonal movement also cost an extra speed token. However, what about abilities that say "move 3 spaces" or "move an enemy or ally 3 spaces", for example? How're those affected by diagonal movement and rubble?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I have questions about Panic at the Dojo! Rubble is specified as costing an extra speed token. Likewise, diagonal movement also cost an extra speed token. However, what about abilities that say "move 3 spaces" or "move an enemy or ally 3 spaces", for example? How're those affected by diagonal movement and rubble?

Rubble ends all movement effects when you enter its space. Diagonal movement is unaffected, and only costs more for Speed tokens.

So a "move 3 spaces" ability can get extra value by using three diagonal movements, since those come at no extra cost, but if you step onto Rubble during that movement, that's where you have to stop.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Rubble ends all movement effects when you enter its space. Diagonal movement is unaffected, and only costs more for Speed tokens.

So a "move 3 spaces" ability can get extra value by using three diagonal movements, since those come at no extra cost, but if you step onto Rubble during that movement, that's where you have to stop.

There should be a rule that if you're thrown into rubble or an object that turns into rubble, you're in a dust cloud and can't be hurt for the rest of the current turn. Just saiyan.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Also I should mention a house rule I used for the battle I just ran. A good part of the battle took place on a rooftop, and I ruled that moving from the ground to the rooftop is possible but costs an extra Speed Token. Since this game is inspired by Ranma 1/2 and that routinely has people jumping around without much regard for gravity.

Speaking of, later I'll do a full writeup of the two battles that've happened so far.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Hey gnome, it looks like DriveThruRPG files for The Pair are missing a fillable playbook that every other playbook has.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nuns with Guns posted:

Hey gnome, it looks like DriveThruRPG files for The Pair are missing a fillable playbook that every other playbook has.

I had forgotten to upload it, and it took a few days for me to find the file. I just uploaded it to DTRPG, so you can grab that there now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gnome7 posted:

I had forgotten to upload it, and it took a few days for me to find the file. I just uploaded it to DTRPG, so you can grab that there now.

Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
New thread, time to lock this one up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880156