Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fellowship is a game about actually going on an adventure and saving the day from an evil Overlord. One player is the Overlord, and the rest are the Fellowship of heroes who have banded together to stop them. Fellowship is now available for sale!

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Backed!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Congrats gnome!
Definitely gonna back this.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
This looks super interesting.

How much is the game married to Tolkienesque fantasy? Humans/elves/dwarves/orcs still seems like a very traditional setup, even if you've got an awesome novel take at it with feminist mushrooms. Is the game reskinnable enough to break away from this structure altogether?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Cyphoderus posted:

This looks super interesting.

How much is the game married to Tolkienesque fantasy? Humans/elves/dwarves/orcs still seems like a very traditional setup, even if you've got an awesome novel take at it with feminist mushrooms. Is the game reskinnable enough to break away from this structure altogether?

Absolutely. Reskinning is a major part of it - I really wanted to get away from every elf being a tolkien Elf. The Elf playbook lets you place as a merfolk or a space alien just as well as it does the traditional forest dweller. The commonality all Elves have is they're really good at the basic move Get Away, and they have a few weird abilities others mistake for magic. There is an outline for what they have and what they do but the fluff of how they do it is very open ended, and there are explicitly options for being veeeery different.

All of these are level 1 Elf possibilities:

Tree man, Merfolk riding a hermit crab, alien with a laser-bow, and tiny fairy are all very within the playbooks' realm.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have to ask, just out of curiosity: of all the adjectives to apply to your mushroom orcs, why feminist?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
100% entirely because of this tweet by my good friend Clove: https://twitter.com/cloveochai/status/626519324992385024

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

fellowship.jpg

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm in a playtest game right now, and I'm going to back this as soon as I get back to my computer proper.

It's so loving great you guys.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I just backed this last night and I'm super excited for it. I'll try and get my group to try out the backer preview as soon as I can!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
On the topic of playtesting and playing this game, the kickstarter preview versions are not under any kind of NDA, so feel free to talk about rules, post anything from the book, or even host a public pbp. It's fair game now.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am super glad I got to influence this game as much as I did. Already backed, too.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
How close is the preview pdf to the final design?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Are you gonna run a playtest game? It was a big hit when Spirit of 77 did it. (And I ended up attending 6 subsequent adventure playtests...)

Backed BTW.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 5, 2015

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
This game owns, and I will back as soon as I have cash.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

potatocubed posted:

How close is the preview pdf to the final design?

The previews are complete, excepting any changes as a result of feedback. The exceptions are:

Every playbook has a few moves omitted because I'm a jerk like that. None of the moves you need in order to play them are omitted - just some of their Custom moves, half of their People moves, and half of their Fellowship moves. What's there is perfectly playable, just missing some choices.

Chapter 4 is super bare bones because I've barely written any of it. That chapter will be around 20-30 pages of just first session and starting advice, and part of the delay on it is that I'm waiting on playtest feedback for how first sessions go to figure out what works best.

Half of the Destinies in Chapter 5 are incomplete and only have a title/basic move. This is because their other halves are not written yet, it's on the to-do list.

Chapter 7 needs to be a lot beefier, with more threats and more Set Pieces. It's something I plink at as I go, throwing in a thing or two as I think of them, so there'll be more there in the final version. Nothing is missing right now though - what's there is what I've got so far.

In related-to-playbooks news, I've put up a kickstarter update with some pictures I wanted to share.

Golden Bee posted:

Are you gonna run a playtest game? It was a big hit when Spirit of 77 did it. (And I ended up attending 6 subsequent adventure playtests...)

Backed BTW.

Yeah actually, I'll be running a game with Six Feats Under next weekend, and it'll go up on their podcast before the end of the month. I'll be sure to link it everywhere once it is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

From the preview, the very first move has a 7+ option and a 7-9 option, instead of a 10+ option. Same with "Talk Sense". You use this a few times, but it's inconsistently used (sometimes it means "7+ is always a pure success", sometimes it means "You have to do something else", sometimes it means "add a consequence").

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 5, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yes that's intentional. I only use a separate 10+ when the 10+ success result is different from what you'd get on a 7-9. So when a move says "On a 7+" and then "On a 7-9," you do both things on a 7-9 result.

Honestly I wanted to do it a lot more, and probably could with some creativity, but it wouldn't be too meaningfully different from what's there already.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gnome? And the *World engine?

It's backed like Donkey Kong.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Everything about this game is cool. Backed!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The playbook is really cool. LMK if anyone is running this as a weekly.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I feel this game's existence should be encouraged if only because of the extremely non-creepy art style for the women, and if that's not a damning statement about mordern tabletop RPGS then I'm not sure what is. :shepicide:

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I'm loving what I've seen in the playtest version. A question: when do the squire's community options get triggered? Does the overlord always have the option of choosing from them when a community connects with the fellowship? (and if so, how did no-one notice all the cyborgs and the surgery before that?)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It looks like the point of those rules is that the squire makes friends with everyone, even people who might normally not be friendly. It's not that they turn a town into cyborgs, it's that a squire lets you befriend cyborgs when they show up. (And having a squire in-game is an invitation to find very weird small towns of Mr. Saturn-esque figures.)

Also: Backed. I'm very excited about this game.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Impermanent posted:

It looks like the point of those rules is that the squire makes friends with everyone, even people who might normally not be friendly. It's not that they turn a town into cyborgs, it's that a squire lets you befriend cyborgs when they show up. (And having a squire in-game is an invitation to find very weird small towns of Mr. Saturn-esque figures.)

Also: Backed. I'm very excited about this game.

Yeah, I get that, but the overlord picks 3 community benefits for the fellowship to choose 1 of when they befriend the community, which seems well after the point that you'd be noticing the cyborgs (or otherwise be aware of the nature of the community).

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Backed! And I put a "Hey this looks cool also let's get it to 10K because I totally want to play a giant" blurb on the RPG.net Crowdfunding spotlight thread, so hopefully that gets you a few more hits.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Alright, just backed it and pimping it to all my RPG friends at the game store.

Really hope we hit the Giant playbook!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Backed. Maybe this will be the game that gets me to try GMing offline TT. At the least, I think I can sell it to my fantasy-heavy group!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Looks great, gnome. Tossed a pledge your way, looking forward to trying out the playtest.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Backed so loving hard, this looks like the coolest poo poo.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Backed today.

Someone mentioned possibly running a pbp in the kickstarter thread. If anyone starts one please link it here.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

This looks cool but the way you have organised your information in the kickstarter seems a little odd to me. It's strange that you have previews of set pieces and destinies but nothing more basic like, say, a preview playbook or a summary of the rules. Overall the description is a bit vague for someone who knows nothing about the game before they click on the KS page.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Sailor Viy posted:

This looks cool but the way you have organised your information in the kickstarter seems a little odd to me. It's strange that you have previews of set pieces and destinies but nothing more basic like, say, a preview playbook or a summary of the rules. Overall the description is a bit vague for someone who knows nothing about the game before they click on the KS page.

I've gotten this feedback a couple times, so I edited the main description of the game a bit. Hopefully that should help things out some.

Also,

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 7, 2015

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
So one rules variant I thought would be neat for Fellowship and will probably scribble up at some point:

In the Old School thread a while back there was discussion of a retroclone where your race/class were assigned to you through a procedure. So the elf was given to whoever rolled the best stats (because elf supremacy), then the cleric was whoever volunteered to be the cleric, the fighter was the hero of the story so they were decided through hidden ballot, the thief was whoever voted for themselves in said ballot and so on.

I think some kind of procedure for deciding who gets what playbook could be a pretty interesting idea, up to and including the overlord for groups that are up for it.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I'd like to run the preview version with some friends who are kind of on the fence about backing. Would it be acceptable to pass the link around/Dropbox the preview files, or do they have to suck up the dollar each?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Benly posted:

I'd like to run the preview version with some friends who are kind of on the fence about backing. Would it be acceptable to pass the link around/Dropbox the preview files, or do they have to suck up the dollar each?

Nah, feel free to share it. The official legal text on the PDF is "Do Not Distribute Too Much". A little is okay.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

gnome7 posted:

I've gotten this feedback a couple times, so I edited the main description of the game a bit. Hopefully that should help things out some.

Also,

Looks much better now. Congrats on getting funded.

What's the standard number of sessions you'd expect this to run for?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I just want to say that I finished running a nearly year-long game of Inverse World yesterday, and two players called it the best roleplaying experience they've ever had, even though we ended up playing a little loose with the rules by the end on accident. I've shown them all Fellowship and they've all gotten hype as gently caress for it. I've been waiting to back this since that storify chain of tweets a few months ago, and hope this poo poo gets the mad money it deserves :toot:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Sailor Viy posted:

Looks much better now. Congrats on getting funded.

What's the standard number of sessions you'd expect this to run for?

There haven't been nearly enough games of fellowship for a "standard" number of sessions to become apparent. I have no honest idea! It'll take quite a few just to get a Destiny going, the game is designed to be long-running. I'd say an absolute minimum of 6 sessions. I have no idea what an upper limit or average number would be.

Daeren posted:

I just want to say that I finished running a nearly year-long game of Inverse World yesterday, and two players called it the best roleplaying experience they've ever had, even though we ended up playing a little loose with the rules by the end on accident. I've shown them all Fellowship and they've all gotten hype as gently caress for it. I've been waiting to back this since that storify chain of tweets a few months ago, and hope this poo poo gets the mad money it deserves :toot:

This is very encouraging to hear! I am glad you had such a good time with Inverse World, and I can only hope you are equally pleased with Fellowship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Do you want typo/grammar reports on the preview? If so, where would you prefer them? What about play reports?

Really looking forward to giving the game a play!