Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

RSIxidor posted:

I can't believe I was so totally oblivious to this having happened. I was looking forward to backing it. T_T

Well, still looking forward to the game, assuming it will still be available through DTRPG at some point?

fulfillment of physical copies is through dtrpg, so presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, it'll be up for sale at the exact same moment for backers and non-backers.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Gave the playtest a whirl last night and it was a total blast! The party was:

ArgBlarg the Tumblorc and her two aunties, trying to defeat the threat to the world and shake of the yoke of their peoples oppression
Angvar Firewheel, Dwarven Mad Max with a machine gun, armor made out of dynamite, and no restraint
Durindal, Angelic Heir from an orbital space station with a tongue as sharp as her many, many swords
Baldrick Phlegmetic, the Squire of no particular importance to anything, just here to keep everyone else from taking the easy way out of their problems
Vivi the Harbinger, who dispensed wisdom and prophecy from the back of her pegasus Sir Bigglesworth
and Garden the Giant. Who carried around a garden.

The party was opposing the scourge of Crisos From The Moon, a sentient crystal virus that seeks to convert the entire planet and everything on it into gemstone.

The party started on the outskirts of a dwarven worker camp, which had been corrupted by Crisos into a crystalline mockery of itself. The party followed the trail of corruption back to the dwarven capitol, to find that the once proud city was now a massive edifice of iridescent gemstone. Making their way to the capital building, they battled their way through a mob of gem-sand zombies and crystal chaos beasts to shatter the pulsing edifice that had spread this corruption. The dwarves, freed from the slavery of Crisos, forge the fellowship fine dwarven weapons before they headed off to stop the Crystal Colossus from gaining control of an ancient orcish fire golem. Vanquishing it by collapsing the ceiling onto its face, the Colossus fled, leaving the fellowship with a Fire Golem that demands feeding for melting off the Colossuses chest armor, and even now Crisos moves to take another source of power to add to his collective might.

10/10, would crystal mindmass again.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The backer poll results are viewable, though I don't know if the poll has actually closed yet. Surprise surprise, the three most conventional concepts won and we will have the Dragon, the Remnant, and the Constructed. The Pair came in a close fourth.

The Hatchling was in last place :cry:

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Litany Unheard posted:

The backer poll results are viewable, though I don't know if the poll has actually closed yet. Surprise surprise, the three most conventional concepts won and we will have the Dragon, the Remnant, and the Constructed. The Pair came in a close fourth.

I'm happy with the Remnant and the Constructed doing well, but the Dragon being first place and the Hatchling being last makes no drat sense to me. Who would want to play a boring old dragon when you could play the sea elf's baby kraken friend? Who?!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Litany Unheard posted:

:(

That was the best one!

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Litany Unheard posted:

I actually am surprised by that. For some reason I thought backers for a project like this would be more into "weird" options. Dragon was absolute last for me... Barely see the point in voting for something you could just find in a PHB.

Well if gnome ever writes up some of these other books I'd drop a few bucks for em.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I mean, I voted for Constructed, Remnant, and Elemental so I am pretty happy with this result. I put pair in last because get hosed yall.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Fumaofthelake posted:

I actually am surprised by that. For some reason I thought backers for a project like this would be more into "weird" options. Dragon was absolute last for me... Barely see the point in voting for something you could just find in a PHB.

That's also true of Elf, Orc, and Dwarf. The way I see Fellowship, it's is all about creating adventurous fantasy from the ground up, basing it on the sources of the genre rather than on derivatives like D&D. I'm confident gnome can do good things with these vanilla concepts.

I'm only sad about Constructed because we already have the Golem in Inverse World. I don't know how similar they'll be, but adapting earlier work to a current project feels a bit underwhelming.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Dragon won because of two things:
-Dragon Fans
-Kobold Fans.

Those are two wide constituencies.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Astro Ambulance posted:

I mean, I voted for Constructed, Remnant, and Elemental so I am pretty happy with this result. I put pair in last because get hosed yall.

I think I did Dragon, Constructed, and Elemental. I forget the order. I feel like dragon has a lot of room to work. Any remnant of an ancient, powerful race would fit in with that archetype. I played my DW Survivor under that paradigm as a dwarf preserved from a fallen advanced civilization.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Put Hatchling 1st I think, so a bit disappointed. Kobolds are cool though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah honestly it's hard not to be giddy about the potential for kobolds to be a Good Thing in the fellowship. Plus, ancient dragons can be all sorts of things, including undersea monstrosities only now waking up in the planet's time of need.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Cyphoderus posted:

That's also true of Elf, Orc, and Dwarf. The way I see Fellowship, it's is all about creating adventurous fantasy from the ground up, basing it on the sources of the genre rather than on derivatives like D&D. I'm confident gnome can do good things with these vanilla concepts.

I'm only sad about Constructed because we already have the Golem in Inverse World. I don't know how similar they'll be, but adapting earlier work to a current project feels a bit underwhelming.

Part of my thinking is that we already had so many options if you want to go "standard." I'm sure gnome will cook up good stuff for all the books, not concerned about that.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I sad about the hatchling and i didn't want the constructed. But i did vote dragon for number 1 so at least that got in.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I voted for Remnant and Constructed, but put Dragon dead last. Two out of three is pretty great though.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Hey gnome, any way that we might see these other playbooks that weren't voted in in the future? I was especially interested in what you were going to do with the pair. It's such an interesting concept that I don't think I've seen done in any other playbook. Certainly not as the main focus.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Hey gnome, any way that we might see these other playbooks that weren't voted in in the future? I was especially interested in what you were going to do with the pair. It's such an interesting concept that I don't think I've seen done in any other playbook. Certainly not as the main focus.

Yes absolutely, I'm gonna write The Spider and the Pair for sure. But it'll be after these other three, and they'll be sold separately, while the Dragon, Remnant, and Constructed are going to be sent straight out to backers free of charge upon completion.

The funded playbooks will also be available for sale later, in the same way all my Dungeon World playbooks are, but backers will get them free.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

gnome7 posted:

Yes absolutely, I'm gonna write The Spider and the Pair for sure. But it'll be after these other three, and they'll be sold separately, while the Dragon, Remnant, and Constructed are going to be sent straight out to backers free of charge upon completion.

The funded playbooks will also be available for sale later, in the same way all my Dungeon World playbooks are, but backers will get them free.

Excellent.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Yeah I'm down to buy all these playbooks because they sound pretty cool. The Pair especially is one I really am looking forward to.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm one of the people who voted for the Constructed because I trust gnome to make it distinct enough from the Inverse World one and I can't pass up an opportunity to add robots to games, sue me. Unfortunately neither of my other choices made it into the final three so oh well. I will say I agree that the Remnant seems a little macabre for the tone that the game otherwise seems to be going for but it's a pretty solid concept in general. The Dragon I'm kinda so-so on but, as Golden Bee said, both dragon and kobold fans are big constituencies and so it's hard to be surprised that it got a lot of votes.

At the risk of sounding greedy, I hope we also get the Hatchling down the line once you start doing individual sale playbooks (I realize this is probably a ways off since you're going to be busy with the main Kickstarter stuff for a while) since that seems to be the playbook that this thread was most interested in.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't even remember what I voted for, but I think if they're good enough ideas to be considered for the main game, they're good enough ideas for a supplement for sale later, so I am frankly not super worried about what wins. I think they'll all be good.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The Hatchling wasn't in my top 3 but it was a close thing, and I would be strongly tempted to play it as the placeholder art, a mystery egg with little legs sticking out.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I hope the Constructed gets some tweaks to the Ordering Around move. Needing 2 bonds stops you from connecting with the Giant and Harbringer.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So I'm playing with the portal fantasy idea and I may have at least a basic grip on one of the playbooks maybe.

The Yankee

“Blah, blah blah insert character quote here’.

The Yankee is the sort of visitor from another world who, upon seeing the vaguely medieval fantasyland he’s arrived in, thinks "What a dump” and tries to make it more like his home, using grit, know-how, and a touch of condescension. They’re likely to be the least genuinely heroic visitors, caring more for themselves and how terrible the primitive circumstances they find themselves in are. Play as the Yankee if you want to jury rig fantastic weapons, if you want to cow the locals with your sufficiently advanced technology, or if you want to replace a lost hand with a chainsaw.

Given name: Ashley, Conrad, Milo, Oscar.

Titles: The Boss, the Foreman, the Engineer, the learned, the Great and Powerful.

What is the Yankee?

Problematic Travelling Salesman

Shadetree Mechanic

Industrial revolutionary.

Currently thinking that the Companion stuff would focus in on "The people who took you in when you arrived, and how you relate to them."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The Yankee needs one of the names to be Dorothy. :haw:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Possibly! but I was actually thinking of doing Dorothy/Alice/"Normal person lost by accident" as its own playbook.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

unseenlibrarian posted:

Possibly! but I was actually thinking of doing Dorothy/Alice/"Normal person lost by accident" as its own playbook.

Sure, but imo it still works as an option for the Yankee.

Like the many flavors of Orc, the Yankee can be a lost traveller, a swindler, etc.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Gnome: Which 'What is a Giant?' option should be picked to play as an Ent?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Probably Hill Giant, Ents seem a populous folk. A case could be made for Cloud Giants if you wanted magic tree sap that gives super strength and healing.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Blind Azathoth posted:

I'm happy with the Remnant and the Constructed doing well, but the Dragon being first place and the Hatchling being last makes no drat sense to me. Who would want to play a boring old dragon when you could play the sea elf's baby kraken friend? Who?!

Easy. Dragon means a whole lot more to me than just boring jerk sitting on a pile of stuff. When it comes to a system like this where I need to slot my ideas into a set frame, I like having something familiar enough to tinker with. Close to a blank slate, but specific enough in cool ways to give me stuff to play with. I totally want to play a lady cursed with skin of living armor with a heart of molten steel, that's a Dragon to me, and I have even more ideas than that. Fellowship's already good at telling you (and literally showing you with the diversity in the art) to make things whatever you want them to be, so I don't see people being shoehorned into playing 'boring old dragon' unless they wanted to do that anyways.

Some concepts just resonated with me better than others, but it's kind of lame to play down what other people are excited about and I hope the discussion around the vote doesn't turn into that. I will say though, the Remnant is flavor concept I'm okay with, but when I read how the moves worked I was pretty quickly turned off by it. The others I didn't like just didn't click with me from a flavor perspective, but I'm hoping the Remnant sees some shifting from its core concept of abolishing an entire interesting rule. I like hope and despair, so I'd rather not see an entire playbook be based around ignoring a nice mechanic like it.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I'm gonna join the 'remnant is really cool and I want one but maybe a bit too grim/dark' crowd. Maybe it could, say, focus more on WHY your remnant hangs on beyond death, instead of how?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Pretty excited about the Constructed and Dragon bringing us about 90 percent of the way to running Chrono Trigger: the Roleplaying Game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Sure, but imo it still works as an option for the Yankee.

Like the many flavors of Orc, the Yankee can be a lost traveller, a swindler, etc.

You're probably right. It's still early stages though, so the Yankee may not even last!

(I admit, the main reason I wanted to make "The Lost one/The Castaway" its own playbook was to have a names section that starts with Marshall, Will, and Holly.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

(I admit, the main reason I wanted to make "The Lost one/The Castaway" its own playbook was to have a names section that starts with Marshall, Will, and Holly.)

"A Routine Expedition" is a solid name for a move, too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

homullus posted:

"A Routine Expedition" is a solid name for a move, too.

A three hour tour.

and maybe
There's No Place Like Home
When you take some downtime, show the fellowship some of the comforts of home; make some food, tell a story, etc.
Everyone can recover or fill their bellies as if they were in your community.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Impermanent posted:

Pretty excited about the Constructed and Dragon bringing us about 90 percent of the way to running Chrono Trigger: the Roleplaying Game.

I was just thinking about this. If there ever was a game to play JRPG: the RPG, this is it. A group of plucky friends come together to travel the world, save communities from local trouble, and ultimately try and take down a big bad villain. Instead of Commanding Lore about different People, players could Command Lore about different parts of the world's culture – for instance, in a Chrono Trigger game, Frog's player might be responsible for 600AD, Marle's for 1000AD, and Lucca's for technology in general. The "generic main character" archetype is clearly the Squire, who isn't a strong representative of one culture but who connects on a personal level with everyone.

When you defeat the Overlord and realize this is only the end of Disc 1, the true Overlord is revealed...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This isn't even my final form!
When you defeat 2 out of 3 threats to the world...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Set Piece: The Twelve Hour Optional Sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

For the record, this is precisely why I voted for the Constructed.