Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/all-lives-meaningless/

I liked the perspective of lives not mattering at all, in comparison to a mountain. There's that perspective thing going on, after all, our lives really are puny. But it's too referential to modern events. Also casual mountain racism in last three paragraphs...whoa. It does satirise the whole "I'm not racist, but..." meme, in a way, but too twisty. In the end that mountain's a dick.

Personally I really enjoyed the line: "Your fleeting life can be recorded in a history book that will burn in seconds," having just re-read That Insidious Beast recently, where a fragile history book is literally a plot point (probably not a spoiler now), it draws connections. And also recently looking at stuff I've written a few years ago, I can see why writers hate their own work (my own work is consistently terrible). But that particular fact about writing only applies to amateurs like me. I started off crap, I'm slightly less crap now. While Parson's style has changed over the years, but at least it's been consistently good.

Don't be ashamed of your work dude!

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
The opinions of a speaker will be dependent on the opinions of speakers he listens to (company he keeps and media he follows). People who shout #blacklivesmatter and #alllivesmatter oversimplify an issue to a red/blue situation that simply isn't. You don't wanna fall into that trap because it's one thing to have somewhat extremist [meaning extreme political views, not bombs] viewpoint but becoming a sheep for any party is simply weak and unthoughtful.

I like how this anecdote really just kind of mockingly oversimplifies the issue for both sides.

• Locked thread