Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

We could probably bring a lot of stabilization to the region if the US and Russia worked together in some sort of good cop bad cop type diplomacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
i support WWIII as long as i thrive during it or at least survive it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Decebal posted:

That Hind attack helicopter looks pretty powerful and it hasn't seen any action since Afghanistan. Can it still perform to modern standards ? Do syrians have a honeybee countermeasure system?

Like all helicopters, they are magnets for MANPADS and even old-rear end stingers from their time in Afghanistan were swatting them out of the air like flies. SAM tech has only gotten better, and countermeasures have not been able to keep pace. I'm not sure if Hinds have anything more effective than flares, and I'm not sure if they have something like IR dazzlers or effective electronic countermeasures to keep the same from happening now.

If you have to fly through a hostile airspace in a helicopter, you have two options.

The first is going high as you can, but means that everyone can hear you coming from miles away, and you present yourself as a target for minutes instead of seconds. That's the kind of situation that attracts MANPADS and means if you somehow evade the first, the enemy can see that and send a follow-up to finish the job.

The second option is to fly as low as you can so that the chance of getting a missile up your rear end is less (you're harder to hear coming, and a smaller area can target you), but now you have to worry about every hick with a gun shooting at you. In Syria right now, pretty much every truck in the country has a heavy AA MG set up in the back, and those things make really short work of choppers. If one isn't handy, one of those Light MG's will do some damage, and a lucky shot, or multiple people firing can take you down as well.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
why cant we just kill all the poor people like we used to?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Blistex posted:

Like all helicopters, they are magnets for MANPADS and even old-rear end stingers from their time in Afghanistan were swatting them out of the air like flies. SAM tech has only gotten better, and countermeasures have not been able to keep pace. I'm not sure if Hinds have anything more effective than flares, and I'm not sure if they have something like IR dazzlers or effective electronic countermeasures to keep the same from happening now.

If you have to fly through a hostile airspace in a helicopter, you have two options.

The first is going high as you can, but means that everyone can hear you coming from miles away, and you present yourself as a target for minutes instead of seconds. That's the kind of situation that attracts MANPADS and means if you somehow evade the first, the enemy can see that and send a follow-up to finish the job.

The second option is to fly as low as you can so that the chance of getting a missile up your rear end is less (you're harder to hear coming, and a smaller area can target you), but now you have to worry about every hick with a gun shooting at you. In Syria right now, pretty much every truck in the country has a heavy AA MG set up in the back, and those things make really short work of choppers. If one isn't handy, one of those Light MG's will do some damage, and a lucky shot, or multiple people firing can take you down as well.

The Mi-24 is capable of accommodating modern eletronic warfare suites, including sophisticated jamming systems, IR directional ounter measures etc. Most notably Poland ontracted BAE, the primary provider of defense technology for American helis, to upgrade their Mils to the contemporary standard established by the AN/ALQ-211 SIRFC suite.

However, I doubt the Russians can match this level of protection, both due to R&D and budgetary reasons.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How come nobody falls all over themselves to say that while they oppose the war they support the troops when those troops are Russian? Seems like that rationale disappears when you don't know anybody there and therefore aren't emotionally obligated to pre-emptively justify your rapey loser nephew's idiot life decisions

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Who is "nobody", what do you know about the media landscape in Russia? I know you are retarded, but judging the feedback to a Russian policy through American discourse is dumb even for you.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You seem to be confused. I have no doubt that people in Russia are very concerned with supporting armed belligerent makework rapists as long as they are Russian but surely Americans should feel the same way given that the reasons they support the troops -poverty, they're serving their country, they're manipulated- all apply equally as much to Russian troops

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

You seem to be confused. I have no doubt that people in Russia are very concerned with supporting armed belligerent makework rapists as long as they are Russian but surely Americans should feel the same way given that the reasons they support the troops -poverty, they're serving their country, they're manipulated- all apply equally as much to Russian troops

You seem pretty stupid.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Great logi, it's much like saying "Well, this family lost a child to a traffic accident and they are devastated. Why aren't they equally ravaged whenever any chid in the world dies in similar circumstances? They are reprehensible hypocrites."

As I said, you are retarded and terrible.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Great logi, it's much like saying "Well, this family lost a child to a traffic accident and they are devastated. Why aren't they equally ravaged whenever any chid in the world dies in similar circumstances? They are reprehensible hypocrites."

As I said, you are retarded and terrible.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. My point was exactly this; their professed reasons why we must support the troops are lies and what they really care about is tribalism and defending their murderous idiot associates. If they were sincere about the reasons they profess then they would support Private Ninth Class Vladimir T. Hajjikiller as much as they do his infinitesimally less drunken counterpart from Abilene

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tezzor posted:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. My point was exactly this; their professed reasons why we must support the troops are lies and what they really care about is tribalism and defending their murderous idiot associates. If they were sincere about the reasons they profess then they would support Private Ninth Class Vladimir T. Hajjikiller as much as they do his infinitesimally less drunken counterpart from Abilene

The reason for supporting troops is pure parochialism, which doesn't exist, by definition, if you take the object far away from the subject. Are troops people appreciate whatever the troops do as long as it's aimed at them (in the form of a political community) as the recipients of supposed benefits. Therefore there exists no reason for them to support troops whose product benefits another polity. In other words, the reason for soldier worship is that they allow political emancipation of the nation. Naturally soldiers working for the emancipation of another country are naturally not in the same relation with the public of our hypothetical country; in fact, they may be detrimental to their welfare if the interaction between the two countries can be conceived as a zero sum game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also do you have any proof that the military fetishists of America don't respect soldiers of other nations, at least as representatives of some sodierly virtues and honor?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

steinrokkan posted:

The reason for supporting troops is pure parochialism, which doesn't exist, by definition, if you take the object far away from the subject. Are troops people appreciate whatever the troops do as long as it's aimed at them (in the form of a political community) as the recipients of supposed benefits. Therefore there exists no reason for them to support troops whose product benefits another polity. In other words, the reason for soldier worship is that they allow political emancipation of the nation. Naturally soldiers working for the emancipation of another country are naturally not in the same relation with the public of our hypothetical country; in fact, they may be detrimental to their welfare if the interaction between the two countries can be conceived as a zero sum game.

On the other hand: the actual stated beliefs they have and why

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tezzor posted:

On the other hand: the actual stated beliefs they have and why

The actual stated beliefs are exacty what I mentioned - they give us freedom, they protect our independence, they enable freedom of speech etc. In short, they perpetuate our emancipated status. Soldiers of other nations do the same for their population, and therefore are disconnected from us (they render no service to our nation). We can admire their gallantry, but that"s it.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

they should make mini nukes the size of tank shells and have tanks fire those that would be p fuckin cool

hahahaha, like they don't have that sort of poo poo.

The cold war was awesome for crazy poo poo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_%28nuclear_device%29

Get that crap flying now, soldier!

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Hoping for this to happen:

:ussr:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Somebody ask Obama what his plan is with the Saudi King in Syria after Assad's government is overthrown. I'm sure this "60 nation coalition against ISIS" will be able to prevent the country from becoming murder fields of anarchy, right?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Immortan posted:

Somebody ask Obama what his plan is with the Saudi King in Syria after Assad's government is overthrown. I'm sure this "60 nation coalition against ISIS" will be able to prevent the country from becoming murder fields of anarchy, right?

"becoming"

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Feranon posted:

"becoming"

I meant who would they replace Assad with? loving al-Nusra front?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Assad's country fell apart all by itself, with no help from America. Propping him up wouldn't even be a case of playing nice with brutal warlords alternative governments to keep the peace because, as he demonstrates, they can't even manage that..

Not really it had lots of foreign players such as Saudi Arabia and Iran.

US was just a useless sitting on the fence player since Obama didn't do the more traditional involvement until it was too late.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Blistex posted:

I like that one war video of the :911:brave American heli pilots mowing down like a dozen guys with AK's who are running away and then one of them stops giving a gently caress and turns around and shoots at the helicopter with his machinegun and the fucker damages the heli so bad they have to leave

Was totally rooting for him over the :911:brave American heli pilots at that point

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Russia looks at 15 years of costly failure by NATO and says "we gotta get in on this."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

so would Russia or USA be the bad cop?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

etalian posted:

There would be no practical difference between them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agag posted:

There would be no practical difference between them.

bad and worse cop

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

etalian posted:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

do what putin says or america will perform some "nation building" and you sure as gently caress dont want that

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zzulu posted:

I like that one war video of the :911:brave American heli pilots mowing down like a dozen guys with AK's who are running away and then one of them stops giving a gently caress and turns around and shoots at the helicopter with his machinegun and the fucker damages the heli so bad they have to leave

Was totally rooting for him over the :911:brave American heli pilots at that point

For some reason the average person seems to think that Hinds/Apache's are armoured to be impervious against small arms.

Iraqi farmer shoots down Apache with 98K rifle.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Blistex posted:

For some reason the average person seems to think that Hinds/Apache's are armoured to be impervious against small arms.

Iraqi farmer shoots down Apache with 98K rifle.

The trick is to hit the Muslim peasant with a Hellfire before he knows you are there. Preferably before he has grown from a child into an adult.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agag posted:

The trick is to hit the Muslim peasant with a Hellfire before he knows you are there. Preferably before he has grown from a child into an adult.

it's like a real world version of Minority Report

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

etalian posted:

it's like a real world version of Minority Report

Instead of white or red all the balls just have a crescent moon on them, and everyone is always guilty.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So silly. White people don't go to war against each other. Only brown & yellow people we go to war with.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

So silly. White people don't go to war against each other. Only brown & yellow people we go to war with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtSv3x6lh3o

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Nuclear bombs were invented to deal with psycho shitbags that won't stop fighting no matter what-
as civilized cultures will stop when they realize they can't win.
Muslims are bomb food.
They will flash into flying clouds of ash in the white-hot X-ray sunrise that soon will greet them. It's what they deserve for their non-sentient idiocy.

And then God-dammit, we will have to expend our good labor to sweep their foolish dust off our doorsteps, this as their paltry revenge.

A hundred years from now it will be obvious they are (where) a pathologically suicidal culture that has no place in a civilized world.

Fuckem.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Russia has to get involved somewhere else so they can explain away all the Russian troops getting killed in Ukraine when there aren't supposed to be any there :lol:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Russia can't even defeat Ukraine. Still stuck in that quagmire.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

zimboe posted:

Nuclear bombs were invented to deal with psycho shitbags that won't stop fighting no matter what-
as civilized cultures will stop when they realize they can't win.
Muslims are bomb food.
They will flash into flying clouds of ash in the white-hot X-ray sunrise that soon will greet them. It's what they deserve for their non-sentient idiocy.

And then God-dammit, we will have to expend our good labor to sweep their foolish dust off our doorsteps, this as their paltry revenge.

A hundred years from now it will be obvious they are (where) a pathologically suicidal culture that has no place in a civilized world.

Fuckem.

They are winning so why would they stop fighting?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I was just reading some news and since Russia is just dicking around I've decided to support France and their upcoming air strike.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

What we need to do is sell our heavy artillery to both sides respectively and let the savages test it on eachother for us, then we'll know who the real weiner is

• Locked thread