Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
going to be another long season for Texas. the only hopes i had for the season was the team not being embarassed. whelp...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Kansas

Positives: There's actually fun offensive playcalling now!
Negatives: We loving suck.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Probably Magic posted:

Kansas

Positives: There's actually fun offensive playcalling now!
Negatives: We loving suck.

Don't forget the part with the Enterprise.

Never not going to bring that up.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

good. pac12 south looked like garbo.

lol if you say so...

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

VDay posted:

lol if you say so...

I mean, take a look at USC right exactly now.

Utah, Oregon State and UCLA are the only teams that don't have their fans howling for changes right now.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

VDay posted:

lol if you say so...

ucla was the only one who didn't lose, or look gross in a win, and they played fuckin uva

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Maxwells Demon posted:

I mean, take a look at USC right exactly now.

Utah, Oregon State and UCLA are the only teams that don't have their fans howling for changes right now.

and even then the utah fans i know weren't terribly won over by the game

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Well, that was a scary first half, especially those first possessions where Wisconsin was able to put pressure on Coker and he melted down like a japanese reactor. Thankfully we put the screws on 'em and in the second half the difference in depth and talent was pretty drat clear. So some observations for the 2-3 Bama goons that might bother to read my obnoxious posting:

1) Not to repeat the obvious, but Derrick Henry is a goddamned monster. That problem he had hitting the line last year and getting taken down before he built up speed? Gone. Pass blocking? Linemen bounced off him like a 60s godzilla movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuEa6Hum0b4 (henry is the G-man obviously).

2) Ryan Kelly is a rock

3) Drake looks somehow faster than before he broke his leg. It's got to be bullshit to go from getting your entrails ripped out by Henry to having to catch that dude.

4) Harris looked ok, he was saddled behind the second string though, which brings me to my biggest problem (and Saban's). The second stringers just laid an egg when they got playtime instead of going out there to compete against a quality opponent. Sabes got so mad that he benched the entire second string defense after putting them in for one possession where Wiscy immediately scored. They're going to get chewed out something fierce.

5) Our D-line is sick as advertised. Running on every possession except the second-string one was absolutely futile. In the secondary, they didn't even bother passing by Cyrus Jones. Minkah looked better than Jackson last year, but drew several penalties for not turning his head and basically playing like a greenhorn, but at least he's fast enough to keep up with these guys unlike last year's CB #2. Jackson looked a lot more comfortable at safety and got the only pick so good on him.

6) Coker was... ok. I'm not going to be pissed if they keep trying to see if he'll develop, which I would have been if he stayed like he was in that first quarter. He operates lethargically, making him useless on those quick screen plays Lane likes so much. Even though he can run and be a load if he does it aggressively, his scrambling was hideous and basically amounted to slow, panicked retreats that added 10 yards to every sack. Just ugly under pressure. However, he did progress through his reads when given time and spread the ball around well, throwing at the right guys on every play. He absolutely needs to move faster and make better throws moving on though if he wants to keep his job--on one play he had a guy 10 yards ahead of the defender and threw it at the DB's back.

7) Bateman was his polar opposite. Really crisp, sound mechanics, he looked a lot like Blake last year. Quick throws, fancy feet, scrambles were decisive and effective like Blake was. However he's nowhere near where Sims was in terms of progressions or accuracy. He got the screens out fast enough to be effective, but threw them behind the receiver. A few plays he'd try to force it to someone that was double covered or run out of bounds when he had guys wide open elsewhere. He's got the physical stuff Lane wants down pat, but didn't show nearly enough patience or wisdom, maybe because he was too anxious to make plays and steal the job. Absolutely has great potential though if he can clean it up and add some poise.

8) Better blocking than we had at the beginning of last year in general. Robert Foster almost killed a guy in one play

9) nick saban is a good coach roll tide

if anyone has questions about the game I'd be glad to offer an opinion, this isn't comprehensive in any way

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, poor Teldrick:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
oh yeah and the captain of Wisconsin's defense got owned by Cam Robinson so bad that he tried to go to the Alabama huddle on the next play and had to sit out the game. dude got concussed as shiiiit

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
AZTECS bitch

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
300+ yard passing games:

Muschamp Gators: 1

McElwain Gators: 1

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Lasagna Pilot posted:

300+ yard passing games:

Muschamp Gators: 1

McElwain Gators: 1

So what your saying is this is the last 300+ yard passing game under McElwain?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
No, you see, Notre Dame fans are excited because they beat a team badly that they were supposed to beat badly. Notre Dame fans are used to either losing in embarrassing fashion a game that should've been over at halftime, or squeaking by.

So, the team meeting expectations is, in fact, newsworthy.

Cue them losing to Virginia next week.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So that BYU QB (Taysom Hill) who left in the first quarter with a "foot issue" and came back before exiting again? He managed to play for a couple of quarters with a Lisfranc Fracture :stare:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

So that BYU QB (Taysom Hill) who left in the first quarter with a "foot issue" and came back before exiting again? He managed to play for a couple of quarters with a Lisfranc Fracture :stare:

Through God, anything is possible.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Strobe posted:

Don't forget the part with the Enterprise.

Never not going to bring that up.

Marching bands are huge fans of old Sixties scifi shows, it turns out.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Lisfranc's end careers unless you're a lineman. Feel bad for Hill, he's lost so much time to injury.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Found out that the only reason Rice was playing (and routing) a mediocre FCS team is because UAB dropped out of football and Wagner was the replacement they could find on short notice.

:smith:

Rice fans are currently daring to dream about maybe beating Texas next week, although I am highly skeptical.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Cue them losing to Virginia next week.

You joke but it's a prime look ahead spot with Georgia Tech looming. I doubt Virginia rolls over the way Texas did for their home opener.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ty1990 posted:

You joke but it's a prime look ahead spot with Georgia Tech looming. I doubt Virginia rolls over the way Texas did for their home opener.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Incoherence posted:

Found out that the only reason Rice was playing (and routing) a mediocre FCS team is because UAB dropped out of football and Wagner was the replacement they could find on short notice.

:smith:

Rice fans are currently daring to dream about maybe beating Texas next week, although I am highly skeptical.

uab is gonna come back though

also

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i miss u taylor

u were a mediocre passer but great runner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD-KMAlQAp0

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Sparty fans, how did your passing game look this week? Cause it's gonna look a lot better next week. :suicide:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
On the front page of the Wazzu blog on SB Nation:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-QTJer3vU

i mean it's old but watch it at half speed and just laugh your rear end off

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
loving Miss. St. absolutely CANNOT help themselves from pulling poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/werdisdrew/status/640369183881056256

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Go Tigers, gently caress Notre Dame.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

So FSU just wrapped up. Imagine I write out "against Texas State" after every nice thing I say.

The left side of the OL are all road graders. The right side....isn't. Everett Golson only passed like 8 times in the first half and passed 18 or so the second half, 4 for tds. He had a pretty good showing, and the WRs that were targeted seemed to all settle into getting open in their option reads.

Our backfield is really good. Our WRs seemed to play pretty naturally out there for the amount of freshmen that were playing.

Our linebackers seem serviceable. Terrence Smith is great, and the new comers, tyrell lyons and lorenzo phillips and such, all managed to not noticeably gently caress up bad.

The play calling is waaay different from Jameis back there, in the ways I kinda thought they'd be except for more finding-the-WR-settling-into-the-zone pass play reads.

Tight ends are actually really interesting. I like how Everett puts the ball on the bigger players. Hope he doesn't get them killed against better defenses.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
tennessee's offense looked good and their secondary looked like rear end trash. please get it together and win games convincingly, thank you!

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I can't stop laughing at the K-State marching band video for basically every reason and this is coming from a KU grad

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth about the Kevine Steele hire, the first Saturday of college football season comes to a close and McNeese was not able to score on the LSU defense!

:suicide:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

C2C - 2.0 posted:

loving Miss. St. absolutely CANNOT help themselves from pulling poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/werdisdrew/status/640369183881056256

Dan Mullen is loving dirty as poo poo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The Coug's loss was just there to set up for when an angelic wheez goes all Christopher Lloyd and Washington State wins the NCG with help of angels in backfield, and secondary, and on the bench, and kicking, and punting, and probably also in the weight room.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

Dan Mullen is loving dirty as poo poo

Is it just me or is this becoming a trend under him?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
https://twitter.com/MarioMocciaNMSU/status/640376053387632640

yall loving florida pieces of poo poo stole new mexico state's poo poo, who are the team that had to ask for literal grandma's to make them lunches during camp because they had no money. yall stole the grandmas dvd copies of legally blonde and bridget jones' diary

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
My insightful analysis of Week 1:

Georgia owns, Aztecs Bitch, lololol Penn State loving sucks and Hackenberg is poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioMocciaNMSU/status/640376053387632640

yall loving florida pieces of poo poo stole new mexico state's poo poo, who are the team that had to ask for literal grandma's to make them lunches during camp because they had no money. yall stole the grandmas dvd copies of legally blonde and bridget jones' diary

gently caress florida

also eat it penn state hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Alaois fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 6, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

gently caress florida

I don't like Auburn but we can be friends if you want.

Its way too early and it was basically a rent-a-rout game but I think Georgia's got a RB trio capable of running on anybody in the country, including Bama. Chubb did his thing but Sony Michel looked very good and Keith Marshall seems to be back to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Raku posted:

uab is gonna come back though

also

Long-winded butthurt masquerading as thoughtful commentary is much worse than low-content posting IMO.

• Locked thread