Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Roasted Donut posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioMocciaNMSU/status/640376053387632640

yall loving florida pieces of poo poo stole new mexico state's poo poo, who are the team that had to ask for literal grandma's to make them lunches during camp because they had no money. yall stole the grandmas dvd copies of legally blonde and bridget jones' diary

Lol. Florida is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Twimp Lingam posted:

yeah hooooly poo poo, our O-line is garbage and the kicking game was a gently caress story. The team looked a lot better coached and seemed to have more poise though. I think if we still had Pelini, once we went down 10 pts, it would've just snowballed into an embarrassing blow out . BYU is a good team, sucks they lost Hill but that backup qb had some serious balls of steel. Heart breaking losses suck :smith:

edit: this was bullshit though
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25291793/nebraska-player-injured-after-questionable-hit-by-byu-player

I pretty much agree on all points. Especially thinking that if we still had Pelini it would have been a total blow out in the second half. O line needs to be better, d line thankfully improved in the game but maybe that was just because folsom was playing with a fractured foot by that time. Secondary really needs to step up. However I really liked the offense call and plays in the 1st and 3rd quarters. If you just take just those two Nebraska looked almost awesome. Also going to say byu can suck a dick for hitting Sutton and foltz and the refs can suck one to for whatever the gently caress was going on with that penalty during byu's second touchdown.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

I sincerely hope A&Ms Dline continues to murder people because that was great.

It was good

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://vine.co/v/eTEIj0XrzH1

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Incoherence posted:

I didn't watch the Penn State game because it was Penn State, but is this going to finally derail the incredibly stupid "Christian Hackenberg as #1 pick" hype train that made no sense even during the offseason?

Lol no. Excuses are already being formed for him

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Oregon certainly had some questions about their pass protection before the game and those questions got answered. Our pass protection sucks was the answer.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hackenburg has intangibles meaning tall and white. That's my draft analysis.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I know its been repeated a bunch of times, but

Jeff Driskel - 12/15, 274 yds, 4 tds, 321.4 qb rating

Hahahahha

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hahahahha

Jeff Driskel gonna play his way into the NFL draft

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is Kaser OK?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I fully expect to see that video of the Ref getting cleaned out at my next Officials Association Meeting. Good that the kids were immediately ejected. I hope they never play football again.

Alabama will struggle with anyone that can effectively load the box (this will still be hard to do those RBs are a load), but the QBs are going to limit how good those WRs can be. I'd agree with whoever said Coker was just a bit slow on his short routes releases causing defenders time to blow up those short screens that Cooper was deadly with last season. I fell asleep by time their backup was in.

BYU, in true Mormon/christian fashion, had to sacrifice their annoited savior to receive glory in the midwest. Sorry Huskers.

Anyone that thinks UVA will give ND a game is just crazy. That's a bad football team again. Sorry Texas but you started 2 True Freshman on the Oline offense prb wasn't going to improve. Team just looked really young and thin on offense, defense everywhere really. They got some good players but they need time, good luck not getting run out before you can fix it Charlie.

Bobby Petrino needs to learn how timeouts and clock stoppage rules work because he blew the end of that game so badly.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hahahahha

I don't think there is any sport where coaching matters half as much as it does in pigskin.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I sincerely hope A&Ms Dline continues to murder people because that was great.

They have the talent and the coaching, don't see why not.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Roasted Donut posted:

probably not because it's the same retards who said blaine gabbert would be a good pro, i.e. people that love the draft but have never watched a single college game veer

Seriously, I was at the Maryland-Penn State game last year. Ol' Hackenberg just isn't that good

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DOOP posted:

Penn State real bad

Gonna be a long season :suicide:

I don't think I've ever switched from "weak schedule, could go 10-2" to "gently caress worst team I've ever seen, going to go 2-10." so fast.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Maxwells Demon posted:

Oregon certainly had some questions about their pass protection before the game and those questions got answered. Our pass protection sucks was the answer.

Why can you guys never put it all together? It's so weird, your offense can be so good except you can't even find some random kicker better than the mean, or your D is weak or w/e.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I mean VT lost to JMU then won 11 in a row and the ACC to boot. Everyone here has watched enough football to know that inevitably one of the teams who looks super lovely in week 1 with a bad loss just had an off week and wins 8-10+ games anyway.

That may or may not be PSU, though.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Heaf posted:

Bob Stitt and Montana lost to Cal Poly (an okay but not great FCS team) by a score of 20-19 today. Something to keep an eye on?

they gonna beat the poo poo outta arizona state next week. stangs bitch

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean VT lost to JMU then won 11 in a row and the ACC to boot. Everyone here has watched enough football to know that inevitably one of the teams who looks super lovely in week 1 with a bad loss just had an off week and wins 8-10+ games anyway.

Not with that oline

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Not with that oline

Unless it was an elaborate ruse to fool everyone.

it was not

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Crotch Bat posted:

hackenberg never looked that good from what ive seen and i dont know why draft analysts were jerking off over him as much as they were

similarly, cook is an adequate qb, but i dont get the heisman talk. he puts up good stats, but watching games shows that he has some accuracy issues and refuses to loving throw the ball away when he should (pick almost 6 during baylor is agood example)

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

People who think UVA can give Notre Dame a game are out they dang minds

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hackenberg picked PSU in large part because of Bill O'Brien. He goes there, gets coaching from a great QB coach and shocker, a kid with those tools and that coaching looks amazing even as a freshman. Then O'Brien leaves, the whole dynamic shifts with the new staff(like Franklin has any idea what to do) and his OL is putrid and you get the product you see today.

He's not as good as his projected spot and that will probably level out but things have really changed for him and someone is going to take him with the idea that once they take him out of State College they can rework him into a serviceable talent. Hell, aren't the Texans like desperate for a QB anyway? Maybe if he falls enough O'Brien might snag him early on.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

WVU fans, or anyone who's been to a game/that area:

I know someone posted about going to a game last night in the GDT, so there's at least one of you here. Friends and I are trying to make it down there to relive our glory days/party/tailgate/the whole Shebang.

Any tips on what game will be the most fun? Things to check out in Morgantown: bars, food, etc? Probably make a long weekend out of it

It would have to be a game from either October or November.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

and even then the utah fans i know weren't terribly won over by the game

Oh, please. If they can't enjoy a home opener win over a team other fans are actually aware of then they should go do something rude or unprofessional or I don't know.

Maybe we actually suck this year, whatever, it was a fun game and we won it. Now excuse me as I mutter to myself about how kids these days don't recognize the importance of the Ron McBride era mumble mumble mumble

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zypher posted:

I actually quite like Charlie Strong and I really hope he severs himself from Shawn Watson. And I'm not trying to say that Mack would've done better this season with these players. My complaint has always been about Mack getting tar and feathered by Texas fans on his way out. Karma's a bitch. This loss and the Arkansas loss are infinitely more embarrassing than anything that lead to Mack's demise.

You talking about on this board or elsewhere? Here it was mostly Groverat (who started making GBS threads on Mack 1 year removed from a 10 win season). I personally thought Mack was gonna get 1 more year to turn things around and that he deserved that but by the time he left I also wasn't too bent out of shape about it. He had let the program decline and it was obvious that they could no longer develop the talent they were getting and were starting to lose talent to A+M / LSU etc which wasn't going to stand with the boosters.

I still think Strong can get it together, need to see more of what this team can actually do this season though. They were never in the ND game for a second and didn't really ever get into a rhythm on either side of the ball. If they aren't improving through the course of this season then it's going to look really really bad for Strong and he'll be in the hot seat starting year 3.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I don't think I've ever switched from "weak schedule, could go 10-2" to "gently caress worst team I've ever seen, going to go 2-10." so fast.

How fitting that Hack gets the the thread title, but well deserved for PSU's total implosion on almost every front. This is gonna be a long season. Ten. loving. Sacks. (Good for Owls fans, of course, although the fact that Temple's defense is, apparently, legitimately a very good unit is barely any consolation.)

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

god drat it i forgot maryland plays wvu again

ugh

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

WVU fans, or anyone who's been to a game/that area:

I know someone posted about going to a game last night in the GDT, so there's at least one of you here. Friends and I are trying to make it down there to relive our glory days/party/tailgate/the whole Shebang.

Any tips on what game will be the most fun? Things to check out in Morgantown: bars, food, etc? Probably make a long weekend out of it

It would have to be a game from either October or November.

I'm way across the country, but the Okie State one could be a lot of fun and still early enough where it's not freezing out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Texas Tech will be cold, but also have some good fireworks to stay warm.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@onlygators:
Florida #Gators tight ends ...

2013: 4 rec., 42 yds, 0 TD
2014: 26 rec., 237 yds, 3 TD
Last night: 7 rec., 100 yds, 2 TD

lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa looked pretty good! Against a I-AA team but still, progress! And Illinois State has some talent. Roberson was a decent Big Ten QB (and specifically the type of QB who has given us fits in the past) and their RB ran for 2,300 yards and won the Payton Award last year. They also have DI transfers all over the place. They'd probably be like a MAC contender or something. We really outclassed them on the lines but it was still nice to see us shut those two down so effectively. I figured Roberson would scramble all over us, but we did a really good job of contain in the zone read game. They basically couldn't move the ball at all until we were up 31-0 and put in a bunch of backups, at which point they scored two meaningless TDs to make the final score seem less lopsided than the game actually was.

Defensively Drew Ott is going to have a very good year I think (I can count on one hand the number of times he was actually effectively blocked) and Jaleel Johnson is a effective Carl Davis replacement. Not sure about the front seven aside from those two, but it seems less of a disaster than the linebackers last year were, and I feel really good about the DBs. Both corners are very sound in both coverage and in run support. They mostly stayed away from Des King (which I expect to be a theme), but Greg Mabin more than held his own and had a couple huge hits in run support. He might be the best tackler on the team, which is often a trait of good Iowa corners.

Offense looked a lot better. Having a real running back instead of a fullback playing pretend is very nice. They were hitting holes and getting to the edge in a way that Weisman flat out couldn't. Daniels looks like a good power back with reasonable quickness, and I love Canzeri as a change of pace/third down back. He had some excellent plays in the passing game where they let him get out in space. I'm still concerned about the offensive line (there were several plays that would be losses against a real team that turned into gains because our RB broke a tackle or got a corner on an overmatched defender), but it wasn't quite as much of a disaster as I though it might be based on the open practice reports. Maybe they'll be serviceable and Drew Ott is just really loving good, who knows.

Passing game didn't really do a ton outside of the screens to Canzeri but it still looks better. That short stuff works better with a QB who can get the ball to the receiver with some zip. I thought Beathard looked a little shakier down field after the first couple drives, but they didn't really try it much either. He wasn't as good as his stats made him look but he was fine for a guy making his second start ever. I like what he brings as a runner and he has a good arm. We need to do a better job taking advantage of Tevaun Smtih. He's a legit talent who could have a McNutt-like season and they've never given him enough opportunities.

Anyway, don't want to take too much from winning a game against a I-AA team, but actually dominating them was a nice change of pace from recent early season games. There's a lot of good stuff to build on there We could well go out and blow it against ISU next week but for now I'm feeling slightly better about the season.

e: Oh also, great moments in sarcastic Iowa crowds: A standing ovation for a fake field goal that didn't even work, just because everyone was psyched that we'd even be aggressive enough to try something like that.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 6, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Concussions are serious business.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MourningView posted:

e: Oh also, great moments in sarcastic Iowa crowds: A standing ovation for a fake field goal that didn't even work, just because everyone was psyched that we'd even be aggressive enough to try something like that.

Is Kirk Ferentz still coach at Iowa? I remember the one year I went there in 2001 and everyone was all stoked he was hired.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

this was something like the second play of the game

do not pursue lu bu do not attempt to tackle Derrick Henry

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bad Moon posted:

Is Kirk Ferentz still coach at Iowa? I remember the one year I went there in 2001 and everyone was all stoked he was hired.

Yeah year 17. Are you sure it was 2001? Everyone still hated him then because he wasn't Bob Stoops and his teams were awful in 99 and 00 (not through any fault of his). It wasn't until after 02 when we went undefeated in the conference that everyone flipped.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 6, 2015

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Pakled posted:

i love this sport, but man is it dangerous

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 6, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MourningView posted:

Yeah year 17. Are you sure it was 2001? Everyone still hated him then because he wasn't Bob Stoops and his teams were awful in 99 and 00 (not through any fault of his). It wasn't until after 02 when we went undefeated in the conference that everyone flipped.

Maybe? I remember watching some noname QB throw passes to Dallas Clark when he was just a JC transfer and also beating Penn State Joe Pa being sad he didn't get 300 wins. We went to a bowl game that year if I recall correctly which hadn't happened in awhile but that was ugh 15 years ago.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

God I remember all the Ramsthe entire loving NFL fan base wanting to hire him in 2004 and on after they started getting tired of Mike Martz. How times change.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AKMoose posted:

How fitting that Hack gets the the thread title, but well deserved for PSU's total implosion on almost every front. This is gonna be a long season. Ten. loving. Sacks. (Good for Owls fans, of course, although the fact that Temple's defense is, apparently, legitimately a very good unit is barely any consolation.)

They should watch Temple's coach for the next couple years. If he turns out to be any good, he could be a useful replacement for Franklin. Plus he was a PSU linebacker, so that'll satisfy the crazies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Roasted Donut posted:

https://twitter.com/MarioMocciaNMSU/status/640376053387632640

yall loving florida pieces of poo poo stole new mexico state's poo poo, who are the team that had to ask for literal grandma's to make them lunches during camp because they had no money. yall stole the grandmas dvd copies of legally blonde and bridget jones' diary

:siren: Petty theft in Florida :siren: Holy poo poo, a petty theft of used DVDs. This doesn't happen anywhere else on a daily basis. I bet Jeremy Foley and a bunch of Florida alumni were on that bus stealing those items. :ohdear:

• Locked thread