Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

It's not quite time for the NBA preseason so you know what that means: International basketball. See your favorite role players and bench warmers look like world destroyers! Marvel at Old Man Dirk as he suits up for his national team for the first time in four years in front of his home fans!

The top two teams will earn fame and fortune and a ticket to next year's Olympic basketball tournament in Rio.

Main Page
Schedule
Group Standings

So how does this work?
The group stage is four groups of six teams who will all play eachother. Don't ask me how the tiebreaker rules work, I forget every year. Also, a win gets you two points while the loser still gets one point for some reason.

After that, the top four teams from each group advance. Appearantly, this year there won't be any additional group stages, we'll proceed straight to the knockout portion of the tournament.

Hey Illinois Smith, did your lovely country make it this year?
:smith:

How long has it been again since they qualified for any kind of international tournament?
60 years :smith:

Will anyone beat France this year?

They're certainly considered heavy favorites to defend their title this year, fielding the most NBA-heavy team with Tony Parker, Nic Batum, Evan Fournier, Boris Diaw, Rudy Gobert and Joffrey Lauvergne. Their biggest rival, Spain, only has two NBA players in the tournament with Pau and, for some reason, Mirotic.

Germany though!

As stated in the thread title, Dirk will make his triumphant return to his national team after a four-year absence. Not making it out of their group would be seen as a huge failure, especially with all their games in front of a rabid home crowd in Berlin. They have a ton of injuries and drew what's probably the toughest group though.

Other NBA players aside from Dirk include the Hawks' Dennis Schröder and Jazz rookie Tibor Pleiss.

Mah Serbs

Made it to the finals of last year's World Cup against the US. Led by Teodosic (one of the best guards in Europe) and Euroleague MVP / Timberwolves rookie Nemanja Bjelica. A very complete team with great shooters and good centers down low in former NBA bench warmers Raduljica and Kuzmic. Probably the biggest favorites besides France. Also features former Warriors rookie Nemanja "Euro Derrick Rose" Nedovic.

Other players to look out for
Hey, you know who plays on Lithuania's squad this year (aside from Valunciunas, who can't get respect from his national coach either)? SON OF SABONIS

You can also check out Magic rookie Mario Hezonja (Croatia). And Antetokounmpo is playing for Greece this year. There's a more complete "guys you might recognize" overview here.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Spain v Serbia and France v Finland were great games, if you didn't see them, you should watch the replays. This is the only good basketball we'll get until october 27.

Today we get Serbia v Germany at 850, Latvia Lithuaia at 1120, and the marquee matchups, Turkey v Spain and Greece v Croatia at 250 est. I'd go with Turkey v Spain, but they could both be good games.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
loving unbelievable.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Serbs shooting like poo poo but still up because those puny Germans can't grab a rebound.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Illinois Smith posted:

Serbs shooting like poo poo but still up because those puny Germans can't grab a rebound.

Hopefully a strong beating by Serbia will teach Germany a lesson for their international meddling

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

12 to 1 in offensive boards after a half. If the Serbs remember how to hit from deep they'll blow this out.

Schröder's gulf between dumb decisions and good drives on any two given plays is loving infuriating.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Tibor Pleiss will take the reigns out of ancient Dirk's hands any minute now!!!

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watch Q4 and OT of Finland-France and god drat, that was disappointing, could have won it with just a bit more :/ But good start for Finland, and I really hope Koponen gets an NBA contract for next year

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ooo just turned on a tie game with 15 seconds to go in the 4th lookin' like a good day

edit: Bjelica hit a floater, he's tournament MVP so far

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 6, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

lool Bjelica

Mighty Serbia rolls on

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
i love defeating germany in berlin

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
SERBIA THE UNCONQUERABLE

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
please reunite yugoslavia for moral and superteam, superbasketball reasons

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
All my watchespn streams so far have had a strange mixing issue where the announcer is practically muted next to the court sounds (dejan has suggested it's some 5.1 surround downconversion issue, just watching it with laptop speakers here) which sorta sucks but also lets you know which fans go craziest and Gott Damm the Lithuania/Latvia crowd is noisy

i think i won't watch this one i just wanted to see Kristaps and the Knicks got his little-big-rear end not to play

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Turkey's defense is loving terrible even without Enes Kanter. The proud patriots of Spain are lighting them up.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I've decided I don't want FIBA style above-the-basket play rules because dunking in a teammate's layup that's gonna bounce around the rim and go in anyways is lame

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

EvanTH posted:

All my watchespn streams so far have had a strange mixing issue where the announcer is practically muted next to the court sounds (dejan has suggested it's some 5.1 surround downconversion issue, just watching it with laptop speakers here) which sorta sucks but also lets you know which fans go craziest and Gott Damm the Lithuania/Latvia crowd is noisy

Lithuanians take the basket sport very, very seriously

e: Bojan son of Bogdan got a concussion and is out for several days :(

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 6, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

I've decided I don't want FIBA style above-the-basket play rules because dunking in a teammate's layup that's gonna bounce around the rim and go in anyways is lame

Turning a layup into a dunk is lame?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It would be more correct to say that putting down a shot that is already going in is not dunking.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
No good matchups today

9/0711:20 AM EDTCzech Republic vs. Latvia (Group Phase) (FIBA EuroBasket)
ESPN3

9/0711:20 AM EDTIsrael vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina (Group Phase) (FIBA EuroBasket)
ESPN3

9/072:20 PM EDTUkraine vs. Estonia (Group Phase) (FIBA EuroBasket)
ESPN3

9/072:50 PM EDTFrance vs. Poland (Group Phase) (FIBA EuroBasket)

Unless you want to watch France demolish Gortat's team. Eat your grilled meats in peace knowing that you miss no good basket

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

EvanTH posted:

agreed

it's really kind of dumb and unreasonable how much i hate seven nation army but holy poo poo i hate seven nation army

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 7, 2015

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Dutchy posted:

agreed

it's really kind of dumb and unreasonable how much i hate seven nation army but holy poo poo i hate seven nation army

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Sgm0rOpaU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
kikanovicccccccc

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Slaughter was so afraid of challenging Gobert on that last play before the half.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
If only MV could have seen the Gobert steal Gobert dunk Gobert block to Tony Parker sets up Gobert for the dunk combo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Watching basketball without play-by-play is kind of disorienting.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Real pretty move by Slaughter to get open for that midrange shot. Gortat for 3 didn't work out though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Tony Parker is now the leading scorer in EuroBasket history, which is pretty cool.

Lots of good Group B matchups today, Germany vs Turkey should have a crazy-rear end crowd and neither they nor anyone in the Italy / Spain game can afford to lose. No idea who's gonna be left out in that group besides Iceland.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Based on five and a half minutes I've seen this tourney, I'm comfortable saying Germany is the worst basketball team ever

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Wird die deutsche Basketball-Team ein Sandwich ihrer eigenen Trauer serviert werden

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dutchy posted:

Based on five and a half minutes I've seen this tourney, I'm comfortable saying Germany is the worst basketball team ever

Sounds about right, Schröder is the first PG of the Dirk era who can actually hang at this level. All other PGs of the past 15 years didn't even manage to make NBA Summer League rosters. And yet:

Dirk should get into the Hall of Fame based on those medals alone (not the 1993 one, obviously).

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Greeks are the dunkingest Giannis rules

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

EvanTH posted:

Greeks are the dunkingest Giannis rules

They also are the clutchest, since they have Vassilis Spanoulis, who did this at this year's Euroleague semifinal. He was 0/11 from the field in the first three quarters. I saw it live, and believe me, it felt unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oU9qZw7sV0

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

chunkles posted:

e: Bojan son of Bogdan got a concussion and is out for several days :(

He's already starting against Macedonia. Too bad we didn't have him against Greece, I'm sure that would've been a win.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

LupusAter posted:

They also are the clutchest, since they have Vassilis Spanoulis, who did this at this year's Euroleague semifinal. He was 0/11 from the field in the first three quarters. I saw it live, and believe me, it felt unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oU9qZw7sV0

dang, he helped them out from behind last game too

the greeks have the longest names in all of the league, which surprised me.

The Italians are literally sponsored by a pasta company (Barilla)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
FYROM v Croatia is a really tight game, watch it before it's over forever!!!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Dejan Bimble posted:

FYROM v Croatia is a really tight game, watch it before it's over forever!!!

It was tight while Croats were playing at 80%. I hope Macedonia will qualify for the second stage though.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
is Saric ready to play in a league where opposing defenders don't flinch away from passes?

https://vine.co/v/etHFlnIZaVA

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Just came home to see Germany blow that final possession, looking forward to Belinelli killing them in overtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

ahaha loving called it

• Locked thread