Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

You're the Worst is a comedy about a group of friends who volunteer at soup kitchens and help the needy at all times.

No, not really. The best way I can describe it is as a dark romantic comedy. Jimmy and Gretchen meet at Jimmy's exes wedding, where Gretchen steals a blender (a fact which only disappoints her). They proceed to go to his place and have sex. Afterwards, despite their better judgement, they start dating. More or less. The show tends to get pretty dark and there are plenty of sex scenes (nothing naughty shown, though). It's a dark, cynical, and ultimately realistic look at relationships where the people in it are both utterly and completely broken people. Season 2 made headlines with Gretchen's depression arc (The AV Club even called it the best performance on TV in 2015). The recurring cast is also pretty rare in that they have their own ongoing arcs, even if they're not in every episode. The chemistry between the main 4 characters is helped by their actor's theater backgrounds, helping them play off each other more. Seasons 1 and 2 is on both Hulu and Amazon video.

Cast of Characters

Chris Geere plays the British, ridiculously jaded writer Jimmy Shive-Overly. He's got a book under his belt that is underwhelming in terms of sales, and butts heads with the local bookstore manager who refuses to spotlight it (played by Stephanie Courtney aka Progressive's Flo who is fantastic at driving Jimmy crazy). He is thus forced to freelance for local celebrity magazines, interviewing people. He lives with Edgar, the closest thing he has to a best friend. He is an incredibly tortured artist, even if he's pretty far from starving. He thinks honesty and bluntness is always best, even when it hurts. He's also got a foot fetish. He's got a high opinion of himself and tends to go off on rants. He also thinks Cameron is the villain in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

In season 2 we finally met his family, who were redneck stereotypes with British accents, a big catalyst for why he's the way he is. He also did his utmost to help Gretchen despite feebler and feebler results, culminating in them almost breaking up and Jimmy going off with a bartender he'd been flirting with a majority of the season, but ultimately realized he loved Gretchen and told her so, which she said was "pretty dark".

Aya Cash is the female lead, Gretchen. We meet her smoking outside a wedding utterly distraught that she stole a blender because she thought it was a food processor. She's a PR rep. Best friends with Lindsay, who she resents a bit for "selling out" and getting married and all that. She tends to party hard. She says she doesn't date but finds herself being drawn to Jimmy, despite both of them being broken as hell. She seems to be slightly more together as a person than Jimmy but she still has work to do, something she decides to work on in the season 1 finale. Her life seems to be different than what she tells her parents. And in a parallel with Jimmy's truth and honesty thing, she is excellent at coming up with lies on the spot. Need to hire a maid, like, yesterday.

Gretchen's depression stole the show in season 2, and took the series on a more dramatic road for the back half of season 2. It was a gamble for a show that sold itself on the big laughs in season 1 and it paid off. It's revealed by Lindsay that Gretchen has been battling depression on and off since college, and although Gretchen insists she just needs time and it'll pass, it seems to rapidly get worse, to the point where she dognaps a couple's dog (a couple she's been spying on and even scheming to hold their baby) in an effort to get a taste of what she'll never admit she wants. She resists Jimmy's attempts to "fix" her, insisting time and again nothing will work while she sinks further and further, and eventually explodes on Jimmy, delivering a chilling monologue about how she feels nothing. In the finale, she sends Jimmy off with the bartender via text, saying her stuff will be gone when he gets back, but at the last second he decides to stay, which seems to be the thing that finally pushes her to get help.

Desmin Borges plays Edgar, the closest thing the cast has to a conscience. A veteran with PTSD, he used to sell drugs to Jimmy. Jimmy later found him homeless and took him in, more or less treating him as an unpaid maid. Edgar cooks and cleans while trying to come to terms with his own issues. At the end of the season he starts having a crush on Lindsay after watching her sing "This Woman's Work".

In season 2, things started turning around for Edgar. He gets over his crush on Lindsay fairly quickly and joins an improv group in an effort to manage his PTSD. There, he meets Dorothy a woman he starts to fall for. They begin a relationship and slowly help each other. He helps her get rid of the sexual harassment she's been dealing with for years in her improv troupe and after a disastrous haunted house visit (which is apparently a real place, McKamey Manor, and I'd give your left nut to go), she helps with his PTSD. It's a pretty drat cute relationship. They decide to move in together at the end of the season, but Edgar backs out, causing their first fight which terrifies him as she walks off. But he tracks her down and they make up.

My personal favorite character, Kether Donohue (aka Bitch Bella from the intro to Pitch Perfect with a blink-and-you-miss-it cameo in the sequel) plays Lindsay, the sister to Jimmy's ex-fiance Becca and Gretchen's best friend. Married to rich man Paul, that hasn't stopped her partying ways. She has one foot in the rich world with her husband, and one foot more firmly in her hard partying ways (in one memorable scene she snorts coke off her own boobs). And this conflict wears on her throughout the season, culminating in a beautiful moment that shows off Donohue's singing ability. To quote Gretchen "But, putting bad things in your mouth is kinda your thing". Ultimately a sweet girl who indulges her vices waaaaaay too much.

OK maybe not such a sweet girl in season 2, but still hilarious. She demands Gretchen and Jimmy keep things interesting by way of slapping her and ordering her to do buttstuff with Jimmy (probably my favorite scene in the series so far) and taking advantage of Edgar's crush on her to do stuff for her. She starts to learn to live on her own after a booty call with Paul when he tells her they're done. She finally gets her power turned back on while in a pit in McKamey Manor. She tries again and again to get Paul back, culminating in injecting some of his semen that she saved and froze into her uterus, making her pregnant. They reconcile at the end of the season, but she's not into it anymore.

Recurring Cast

Janet Varney as Becca, Jimmy's ex-fiance and Lindsay's sister. Lindsay got married to one-up her.

Todd Robert Anderson as Vernon, Becca's manchild husband.

Allan McLeod as Paul, Lindsay's wealthy husband who would probably love this site.

Stephanie Courtney as the bookstore manager, who seems to be the only person who can go toe-to-toe with Jimmy as far as snide remarks go. Sadly did not appear in season 2.

Brandon Mychal Smith as Sam Dresden, Gretchen's main client.

Collette Wolfe as Dorothy, Edgar's girlfriend.

Samira Wiley as Poussey. Shut up she's Poussey. I'm not crying, you are. OK fine, she's Justina, Gretchen's new therapist.

Season 3 starts August 31 on FXX at a time I don't know because I don't have cable anymore

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How the gently caress did the funniest comedy and probably best show of the 2014 summer not get a thread last year?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know. My writeup doesn't do it justice but this is a fantastic show

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Trash juice and other YTW recipes:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/youre-worst-breakfast-nachos-trash-819006

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This is a good show and I am excited for S2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xoidanor posted:

How the gently caress did the funniest comedy and probably best show of the 2014 summer not get a thread last year?

I didn't even hear much buzz about it at all until I binged it on Hulu. Show is fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

I didn't even hear much buzz about it at all until I binged it on Hulu. Show is fantastic.

I found out about it through national television in the fall, that's how under the radar it flew.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It fell under the radar because FX was all about advertising Married instead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is the poo poo and I am ridiculously excited to see it again

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
This show gave me the biggest Aya Cash crush. And is also so good. Stoked for this season.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Why anyone would like Married rather then this is crazy.

Jimmy loving the Hollywood IT girl and then writing about it it more then likely graphic details is the best throwaway joke on the show

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey guys, if you need some advice for life, Jimmy and Gretchen have you covered

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The magic starts again tonight. Here's hoping more people watch it and are just turned off by my horrible writeup

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

People are turned off by not having watched at all in the first place.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
At least all the critics are all board this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sbaldrick posted:

At least all the critics are all board this year.

Rectify season 3 has a 100% on Rottentomatoes.

The thread for it had like six people posting.

Television being good is absolutely no guarantee that goons will watch it. In fact it's usually the bad shows that everyone watches and won't shut up about. :\

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I just want the show to stay on, sometimes I don't care if Goons like things

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was just kinda hoping for some discussion on it, really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know what would be The Best? A crossover episode between this and Difficult People. Just 30 minutes of the four characters sniping at each other.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
Forgot to state that the theme song to this show is also so so good.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I didn't know there was a school... :(

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yay for the fact that this has its own thread this season. I first opened up the couch chat tv thread since that's where all the discussion happened last go around.

The end shots of what happened that night with the camera car had me in stitches. Show continues to be awesome.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yeah, I had to watch it online today since I no longer have cable, but we're definitely off to a strong start.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I didn't watch it till lunch today but gently caress was that good.

No show has ever handled the horror of moving in with someone and the fear of it being horrible as well as this. You do some stupid loving poo poo when you first move in with someone.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So apparently Jessica Goodman over at EW is gonna be keeping track of who the worst is every week

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Why even rank Edgar? He's going to come in last every week.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know, I think he has it in him to do something awful in an attempt to get Lindsay.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The whole having to jerk off Paul at the end of sex was pretty weird.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I love how the show gleams humor from people's weird fetishes without ever treating them as 100% creepy.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
"Do I look like a FitBit?!" had me rolling

I was a little worried about s2 since I loved the first one so much, but that was a really strong episode

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

This show continues to make me laugh, and it even hits me in the stomach sometimes too. It's sad to think that this will probably be the last season because nobody loving watches this. I hope I'm wrong.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I think maybe I set my expectations for this one a little high during the break. After twelve months of raving about it that return was good, but not empassioning. Hopefully I'll get back in the shows groove soon.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Viginti posted:

I think maybe I set my expectations for this one a little high during the break. After twelve months of raving about it that return was good, but not empassioning. Hopefully I'll get back in the shows groove soon.

The only thing I can think of is that the tag at the end didn't feel right. I mean, it was funny, but it just didn't seem to fit with the rest.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only thing I can think of is that the tag at the end didn't feel right. I mean, it was funny, but it just didn't seem to fit with the rest.

I liked it. The tags haven't always been the most traditional, so showing what happened was pretty neat I thought.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

seaborgium posted:

I liked it. The tags haven't always been the most traditional, so showing what happened was pretty neat I thought.

The tag was loving hysterical, from the inspired presentation to the choice of music down to that spit take Jimmy did when he saw the Google car and Gretchen's little hop over the beaten driver. Perfect capper.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't get why people don't rave about this show. I adore it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Second Sun posted:

I still don't get why people don't rave about this show. I adore it.

It's now on FXX, a network that's seen just about every original show debuting on it fail and is mainly comprised of 20 years of Simpson's reruns.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
To kinda agree with what other people I've said, I -just- discovered this show recently and used a friend's Hulu to get caught up with season one in time. I absolutely love it, but I had never even heard of it before I got the recommendation.

Laughed like hell, though, and I'm already enjoying the new season.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Good to know I'm not the only one who gets cart paralysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
That trivia thing would have bothered me just as much as Jimmy

I also want to steal a car and drive around a mall in it.

• Locked thread