Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lindsey was the worst for a while but drat, gently caress Jimmy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Lindsey was the worst for a while but drat, gently caress Jimmy

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
After the episode ended I considered asking my girlfriend whether a could get a free honk the next time I needed to console her younger sister. :pervert:

Ohh abd the actor who plays Vernon is in a phone commercial playing the same character but with more kids. Good to see him getting other work

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Catching up on episode 5, Jimmy's crazy happy smile while reading his erotic fiction from 5th grade made me snarf. He's done that smile a few times before but it really landed this time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

And then, Jimmy, with a look of satisfaction on his face, walked away as Gretchen kept crying. :stare:

The best part is that he's walking away thinking he's just saved the relationship, even though Gretchen is a) a loving mess -- I read it as some kind of chronic depression, but whatever it is, it's clearly not good at all -- and b) she very clearly didn't want him to go away at all. That look of relief when he walks back to the car was loving heartbreaking. And he just wanted to double check she wasn't still sleeping with someone else.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Man, this was a really good episode.

The rocket ship to heaven gag was top notch.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
yeah, that episode finally felt more like season 1 episodes. I get that they elevated and had to give more story to Edger and Lindsey, but I think that's be the major draw back to this season so far. You have to spend time on them and so you take away from the main relationship. That whole sneaking off thing felt like it took an episode and a half longer than it should have to get to the meat of it.

Here's hoping it gets picked up for another season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jack Skeleton posted:

Here's hoping it gets picked up for another season.

:ohdear: I didn't know it was on the chopping block.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The look on Jimmy's face at the end was amazing, a whole range in like 10 seconds.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

fancy stats posted:

Man, this was a really good episode.

The rocket ship to heaven gag was top notch.

Truly the most humane of execution methods. :godwin:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

:ohdear: I didn't know it was on the chopping block.

Viewership has dropped from 0.7m to 0.6m through season 1, and started season 2 on FXX with 0.3m and has dropped to 0.15m

It's not a rosy future, which is sad, because I really like the show.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Every character in this show shines. And this was the first episode I immediately had to watch again. It's fantastic.

I miss Becca though. Becca does the best bitch faces.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It was honestly refreshing to see a real take on depression. And it's so sad that this is indeed, probably the end.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Khablam posted:

Viewership has dropped from 0.7m to 0.6m through season 1, and started season 2 on FXX with 0.3m and has dropped to 0.15m

Landgraaf has said that they have 3 indicators to decide whether they should renew shows: ratings, reviews and internal support. If 2 are positive they'll renew, and since reviews are great and I can't imagine the executives don't love it, I'd say the chances are good for more.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
You may be right, but I can't help but worry when Aye Cash is posting stuff like this.

https://instagram.com/p/8itFFpiMkm/

not sure if to take it seriously or just laying it on thick.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Landgraaf has said that they have 3 indicators to decide whether they should renew shows: ratings, reviews and internal support. If 2 are positive they'll renew, and since reviews are great and I can't imagine the executives don't love it, I'd say the chances are good for more.

It's lost ~2/3 of it's audience since it was barely renewed. What you're saying is probably true, but there's a point at which you aren't making money and I don't think I've seen a series kept on for a fringe audience outside of public broadcasting.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This is a good show and I will be sad if it isn't renewed.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Khablam posted:

It's lost ~2/3 of it's audience since it was barely renewed. What you're saying is probably true, but there's a point at which you aren't making money and I don't think I've seen a series kept on for a fringe audience outside of public broadcasting.

Well to be fair not much on FXX has a huge audience or ratings. I have no idea why Fox made that channel. They don't even promote anything on it. You used to see promos for the League and Sunny on other channels and whatnot when they were on FX but since they moved them to FXX you would be surprised to know they still exist.

I feel like this series is just begging to get noticed by it's audience. If it were on HBO or Showtime you would hear nothing but people praising it since it would have a higher profile. Realistically I feel like if Fox cancels it, there is a good chance that this could get picked up by a streaming service as it is a cheap to produce, well written and reviewed comedy. They would promote the poo poo out of it as well, if only to show the traditional media how badly they dropped the ball.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I'm pretty optimistic if only because I'm imagining these indicators compared against other FXX stuff. With The League ending do they have any original programming beyond Always Sunny with ratings/name recognition or critical acclaim? (I honestly don't really know)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the first season and the layer episodes have been good but the start of season 2 seemed a massive jump in the "slap stick" stakes

like the first season wasn't very silly but then you get them stealing a car and other poo poo but NO consequence from those choices

anyway I hope the show continues. although the first season benefitted from them establishing and discovering their boundaries and relationships this second season seems a bit more like, let's just explore what wacky antics these sociopaths get up too

the rapper is cool. I'm glad he's a skater and their beefs are kinda nerdy

Lindsay is cute as hell and I love her stepford wife look although her over the top useless / superficial persona isn't great

Edgar has such an upbeat personality it owns

I don't get jimmys thing how he is clearly very bright but has a real childish side where he seems to get distracted by baby things. his voice sounds like the tall guy that wrote the UK office. a good ranting voice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

an aya tweeted something about people with Neilsin boxes really needing to watch :[

my fav shows get killed too early. I really wanted to know what happened in "forever"

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

If they cancel this show they truly need to give up on FXX. If a show this good and so perfectly appealing to FXX's desired demographic can't succeed then they need to acknowledge their mistake.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Wax Lion posted:

If they cancel this show they truly need to give up on FXX. If a show this good and so perfectly appealing to FXX's desired demographic can't succeed then they need to acknowledge their mistake.

Isn't sunny done in 2 seasons as well? I could see them dropping FXX once sunny runs out. What does FXX even play when it doesn't have the league and sunny and ytw? I have to torrent all my stuff so I don't know what else that station plays.

CaptainScraps posted:

Every character in this show shines. And this was the first episode I immediately had to watch again. It's fantastic.

I miss Becca though. Becca does the best bitch faces.

Becca is a basic bitch though.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Holyshoot posted:

Isn't sunny done in 2 seasons as well? I could see them dropping FXX once sunny runs out. What does FXX even play when it doesn't have the league and sunny and ytw? I have to torrent all my stuff so I don't know what else that station plays.

I believe it was the "Simpson's Only Channel" that was talked about when they first got the syndication rights. Other than that a bunch of random reruns; Parks and Rec, In Living Color, Mad About You, HIMYM and some bad movies. FX itself went off in the weird, mostly horror programing with American Horror Story, Fargo, The Strain, etc.

Honestly both channels are a mess and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a major housing cleaning with both of them in the future. They don't really have enough programing for two channels, breaking off the popular comedies was a poor choice to prop up the second channel as they have lost viewership as FXX is not on every cable system like FX is and none of them were popular enough to bring viewers to a channel. I love Sunny but it has never done gangbusters ratings.

They probably should make FXX the Simpsons Channel and just have nonstop Simpsons reruns, bring all the original content back to FX and try to right the ship.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
drat, that put most heavy dramas to shame on packing a punch. I laughed, cringed and cried throughout Gretchen's meltdown which put up Aya Cash's performance up there with basically anything ever.

The notes scribbled on the Rocketship To Heaven were a great little bit, Edgar's 'Say hi to Velazquez' especially.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, hell of an episode.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Sunny was renewed for two new seasons, but as far as I know nobody involved has mentioned wanting to end it after that. Honestly I could see FXX folding and Sunny just going back to regular FX.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The AV Club reported that FX canceled Married today. That probably isn't great news for You're the Worst, unless FXX is more forgiving with low ratings. Plus, YTW always got more critical buzz than Married, which will hopefully help.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Ytw is getting a ton of press for this last episode so here's hoping.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I watched the first episode of Married, and it was terrible. John Hodgman was the only entertaining part.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well the failure of pretty much all of FX's programing except for American Horror Story, which from what I gather isn't doing gangbusters either this year, is that they do absolutely zero promotion of any of it.

For example during Gotham for the first several episodes there was the same exact promo for AHS on almost every single break. They could use some of that promotional time to give other programing a leg up. I didn't even know that Married had a second season. I haven't seen a single promo for YTW or the League on anything other than FXX and right before they are on. You would think that they would be promoting the poo poo out of the League at least since it is the final season(?) but nope, nothing.

I really wonder what is going wrong there since they have the programing that other channels would kill for and a promotional tool with the major network that should be effectively feeding them viewers. Hell, it isn't like they didn't know this storyline/angle with YTW was coming. You would think that they would be putting everyone involved out there for media/press to take advantage of the positive press and get the word out more. It is like watching a Columbus Blue Jackets game, where they just fail at every little thing they do.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I watched the first episode of Married, and it was terrible. John Hodgman was the only entertaining part.

Well congrats: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/married-cancelled-fx-judy-greer-nat-faxon-1201626795/

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

boom boom boom posted:

As much as I enjoy Judy Greer as an actress, I couldn't watch more than 2 episodes of Married.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Interview with John Landgraf where YTW and it's renewal chances gets a mention:

http://decider.com/2015/10/27/john-landgraf-ahs-hotel-premiere-fx-top-rated-episode-of-2015/

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Interview with John Landgraf where YTW and it's renewal chances gets a mention:

http://decider.com/2015/10/27/john-landgraf-ahs-hotel-premiere-fx-top-rated-episode-of-2015/

Well that's very good news for renewal.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
God drat it it's a Sunday Funday episode

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really hope Jimmy doesn't hook up with the bar owner. I'd like to say I hope that because the writing on this show is too good to do something that predictable but I more so hope that because I like Jimmy and Gretchen so much.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
That haunted house was pretty crazy. Apparently it's a real thing. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6CGlBVpCA

I wouldn't have fun in something like that because I would just be thinking in the back of my head the entire time "this is fake they arent going to hurt/kill you".

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
gently caress Lindsey is stupid hot. GODDAMN it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SlipkPIe posted:

gently caress Lindsey is stupid hot. GODDAMN it

• Locked thread