Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Jimmy's family is probably something that will only work in doses but I hope we get more of them if the show gets renewed. It's been getting a ton of critical buzz, which has to help its chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Less depressed Gretchen please. It's annoying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Holyshoot posted:

Less depressed Gretchen please. It's annoying.

How is it annoying? She's barely there, and when she was it was kinda funny - peeking out from beneath a bedsheet on the couch. :laugh:

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
At the beginning, is that a little dish of coke Jimmy is hiding in a drawer? Like a coke candy dish or something. How much blow are these people doing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Drifter posted:

How is it annoying? She's barely there, and when she was it was kinda funny - peeking out from beneath a bedsheet on the couch. :laugh:

She used to be a funny character.

Also, "Alabama British" is great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That finale was a more accurate depiction of the vast majority of English people than anything I've ever seen including anything from actual England

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

That finale was a more accurate depiction of the vast majority of English people than anything I've ever seen including anything from actual England

Wasnt the finale, s2 is 13 eps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh thank god, that made no sense as a wrapup

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha holy poo poo me too

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just got around to watching last week's episode. It was really good and funny, but this is the last show I would ever expect to pull the "yeah I read your book, son" cliche. i was seriously expecting the dad to admit that he was lying about that, but I guess not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was the only part of the episode that wasn't accurate to English people

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is what's going on with Gretchen a real thing that can happen to people because if so that would be pretty awful.

Edit: Holy poo poo at Gretchen pulling the gun on that chick.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 19, 2015

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Holyshoot posted:

Is what's going on with Gretchen a real thing that can happen to people because if so that would be pretty awful.

Edit: Holy poo poo at Gretchen pulling the gun on that chick.

You're lucky that you've never knowingly dealt with a depressed person, this is the most accurate depiction from the drug use to the mood swings to feeling nothing at all, I'm not myself but I had an ex that was just like this it was terrible not being able to help her and I completely feel for jimmy and this is bringing up some terrible memories.

Edit: oh and emotional sometimes violent outbursts too those were fun.

6-year plan man fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 19, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is Gretchen bipolar? Because that's on a bunch of shows.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Mu Zeta posted:

No, she's clinically depressed and not medicated properly. It's an accurate portrayal, but a bit of a downer in my favourite comedy show.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Mu Zeta posted:

Aside from violent outbursts at Jimmy and pulling that gun on the girl in this episode she's been pretty flat emotionally so I'd say probably not

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
As someone who suffers from often debilitating depression, it's kind of freaking me out how accurate and sincere Gretchen's depiction of depression is.

Normally seeing a person on TV suffering from depression just results in eye-rolls from me for how ridiculously over the top and fake it seems, but Aya Cash is playing it really accurately.

I'm sorry for those that are annoyed by depressed Gretchen, but to see what is kind of a mirror of my psyche on TV is kind of amazing to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

6-year plan man posted:

You're lucky that you've never knowingly dealt with a depressed person, this is the most accurate depiction from the drug use to the mood swings to feeling nothing at all, I'm not myself but I had an ex that was just like this it was terrible not being able to help her and I completely feel for jimmy and this is bringing up some terrible memories.

Edit: oh and emotional sometimes violent outbursts too those were fun.

Yeah this is pretty much my experience as well, its hitting a little too close to home. :(

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree entirely. She deserves more recognition for this, and the show in general. I've never seen it done this well.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What will I watch when this season is over? :smith:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mistikman posted:

As someone who suffers from often debilitating depression, it's kind of freaking me out how accurate and sincere Gretchen's depiction of depression is.

Normally seeing a person on TV suffering from depression just results in eye-rolls from me for how ridiculously over the top and fake it seems, but Aya Cash is playing it really accurately.

I'm sorry for those that are annoyed by depressed Gretchen, but to see what is kind of a mirror of my psyche on TV is kind of amazing to me.
Same here. This show is incredibly real.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
"You poor as poo poo, no search engine havin' handjob prostitute"

I love Sam so much :allears:.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

SpaceAceJase posted:

What will I watch when this season is over? :smith:

Did you check out Togetherness on hbo? It's a slow burn, but a lot of the writing is similar in quality wrt character development. Shameless is another fantastic show about terrible people (though clumsy on portraying mental illness.)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This was a pretty A+ episode of TV. Cash should really get an Emmy nod but it won't happen.

I kind of hope Sam getting beaten down but a bunch of girls ruins his career but it would be kind of fitting.

Also Jimmy moving on with Nina in many ways was kind of perfect rebound fling that's never shown on tv as while he really likes Gretchen and may even love her it hasn't been that long of a relationship.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Popelmon posted:

"You poor as poo poo, no search engine havin' handjob prostitute"

I love Sam so much :allears:.

I wish I could say this to some of the customers I have had to talk to in the past.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, Tessa Ferrer is hot as hell. I know her character is just "happy bartender/owner" so it's not much of anything, but gee-gosh golly I think she's attractive as all getout.

I think it's kinda funny that one of my favorite comedy shows is no longer a comedy and it doesn't make me love it any less.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hope they fix Gretchen's depression soon.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I hope they fix Gretchen's depression soon.

Agreed. It's a good portrayal and all, but it isn't what this show was. Entertainment has a contract with the audience, and while of course the unexpected is good, this out of nowhere depression feels to me like a violation of the contract.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

Agreed. It's a good portrayal and all, but it isn't what this show was. Entertainment has a contract with the audience, and while of course the unexpected is good, this out of nowhere depression feels to me like a violation of the contract.

This just screams goony as gently caress. Maybe you can drive to the studio and ask to speak to the manager.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh man this is way too good of tv to trade out for more stupid humor. They threw that poo poo to the supporting cast. The parts where he was yelling up the stairs to try to cover his weird fetish conversation killed me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Drifter posted:

I think it's kinda funny that one of my favorite comedy shows is no longer a comedy and it doesn't make me love it any less.

It's because the episode still had plenty of jokes going. Jimmy's strict adherence to stealing something on a stormout (which the bartender then mimicked) along with Sam's everything was good fun. They also got some black humour in by showing how Vernon's and Becka's home-life has become even more dysfunctional after the events of the last season finale. Not so much the money BDSM thing but rather how Becka has at this point completely lost it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh man this is way too good of tv to trade out for more stupid humor. They threw that poo poo to the supporting cast. The parts where he was yelling up the stairs to try to cover his weird fetish conversation killed me.

It has all these great, really funny characters and interactions, and then just Sad Gretchen. One episode was one thing, but she's a drag on the show now. I know the ratings are terrible, and I guess this is a great way to generate "buzz", so I can't really blame them.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I love the breadth of fetishes portrayed in this show. We've got one guy almost destitute because he's a fin-dom, and one of the leads is into feet. If that isn't representation then I don't know what is!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Drifter posted:

This just screams goony as gently caress. Maybe you can drive to the studio and ask to speak to the manager.

What he's saying is. We came to watch a comedy and they are adding in drama Where's it's not needed. If I want to see someone be all super depressed and see how it's delt with I'll watch a drama not a comedy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Counter-point: the show is handling the blend very well, it's great, it feels like a natural progression for the character, and I want more.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, I'm actually digging the Gretchen stuff. You're the Worst was never really a strict comedy in the first place, at least where I'm standing - it was always about these hosed up but mostly humorous people trying to be better, and some of it was funny and some of it wasn't. Right now, Gretchen isn't, but, and this is part of why I love them for going there, comedy and depression go hand in hand. Funny people are often deeply hosed up, deeply depressed, deeply hurting in some way or another, and if you remember, these were never well-adjusted people. We've got an egotistical, self-loathing writer, a PTSD riddled heroin addicted war vet, and a woman who casually stole, had drug problems, hoarded, and is now revealed as depressed - which totally makes sense when you look at some of her earlier actions. (and that's without even going near Lindsay...)

If there was ever an appropriate place to take a sudden turn into serious depression poo poo, it's shows like this - mature, adult humour shows that don't shy away from things. The fact that it's being handled so well, with an audience other than the usual 'I'll just watch a drama' one, is part of why this is great to see. The more people are familiar with the signs and behaviours that go with depression, the better they can recognize them in their own lives either for themselves or those around them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Holyshoot posted:

What he's saying is. We came to watch a comedy and they are adding in drama Where's it's not needed. If I want to see someone be all super depressed and see how it's delt with I'll watch a drama not a comedy.

It's common with comedies right now. Louie and Master of None for example. I think comedians are sad a lot in real life.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

.... really, thread?

I was sure a certain bard from the 1600s already demonstrated the best stories can blend tragedy and comedy, and the best writing is often an evolution of one into the other.

I'm not arguing this show is as good as Billy the Bard, but some "ur I didn't know I would have to experience more than one emotion" is just a ridiculous point to argue from.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Aye, Season 1 was good & funny, but Season 2 has made "the leap" into greatness territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you wanna see another example of blending tragedy and comedy, Maria Bamford has a fantastic bit on her latest album about her suicide attempt. Tragedy and comedy are VERY close together, and in the right hands can be combined into magic.

• Locked thread