Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

I genuinely lol at anyone dumb enough to like the prequels. The OT ain't any great shakes but seriously the prequels are dogshit.

Say waht you will about the Star Wars franchise, but the first film is a great movie. Like, not even a taste issue, it's just a very well put together film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Sojenus posted:

the only thing i love more than comic book movies is star wars movies! the complex explorations of morality and the human condition really speak to me. can hardly wait for opening night, gonna buy all the merch and camp out in my chewbacca pjs!

"No it's not a DOLL!!!!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Say waht you will about the Star Wars franchise, but the first film is a great movie. Like, not even a taste issue, it's just a very well put together film.

Which first one? Episode IV is pretty drat good and deserves its recognition but Episode I is really mediocre at its very best.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mind the walrus posted:

Which first one? Episode IV is pretty drat good and deserves its recognition but Episode I is really mediocre at its very best.

the actual first one made, Star Wars

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Phantom Menace is an absolute mess

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
I saw this target ad on fb for the build your own lightsaber toy and the comments from all the upset fans we're all you need to know about what's coming in the next few months. I will be waiting for the vod release so I can watch it in the privacy of my own home away from these horrible people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well yeah. Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and everything about Return of the Jedi that isn't about the Ewoks are legit movies. They're just not as good as fans proclaim they are--and bear in mind they're really loving good so think about how high the hyperbole is for me to say that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I like the part where Atkins wins the chariot race at the space Colosseum where the horses are jet engines instead of horses. I exclaimed "now THIS is chariot racing!" at the exact moment that Anansi was like "Now this is plorg racing!"

I also liked when instdead of spiked chariot wheels it was lasers.

Later, Quagmire Jin used magic to cheat at gambling so that a human trafficking deal could go his way, ultimately setting in motion a chain of events that would lead to the destruction of an entire planet and hundreds of millions of deaths.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I like the part where Atkins wins the chariot race at the space Colosseum where the horses are jet engines instead of horses. I exclaimed "now THIS is chariot racing!" at the exact moment that Anansi was like "Now this is plorg racing!"

Later, Quagmire Jin used magic to cheat at gambling so that a human trafficking deal could go his way, ultimately setting in motion a chain of events that would lead to the destruction of an entire planet and hundreds of millions of deaths.

Ah Ah! you remembered the plot!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's no surprise pog racing was so popular on Tatoonie. It looked like a lot of fun to sit in some bleachers in the middle of a desert and wait for rocket cars to go by and imagine the exciting adventures they were having out of sight, and maybe watch them on the holo-jumbotron while you died of heatstroke.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Ah Ah! you remembered the plot!

Uh... uh... I meant to type

"lol, Annikins was like "ploob a doopie" and pooped himself and the poop was a lightsaber."

I never even saw The Phantom Mantis :smug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Everyone has to admit those robots that rolled around in a ball shape and unfolded were pretty cool and actually the high point of the movie.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Applewhite posted:

Everyone has to admit those robots that rolled around in a ball shape and unfolded were pretty cool and actually the high point of the movie.

All of the robot and ground vehicle design for the trade federation was really good.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's slavery on Tatooine in the prequels, but it's not mentioned in the original series. Do you think the Empire banned slavery?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Applewhite posted:

pog racing

lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

There's slavery on Tatooine in the prequels, but it's not mentioned in the original series. Do you think the Empire banned slavery?

It seemed like the empire did a lot of good things. Nobody ever gives it credit for getting the space trains to run on time.
Emperor Palpitation did nothing wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I look forward to the new movie where they go out of their way to make space fascists sympathetic and appealing, and when people rightfully point out how creepy that is it'll get defended with "but they're just doing their job!"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Applewhite posted:

It seemed like the empire did a lot of good things. Nobody ever gives it credit for getting the space trains to run on time.

i like the scene where he offers Luke Highwalker a chance to turn to the Dank side

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I look forward to the new movie where they go out of their way to make space fascists sympathetic and appealing, and when people rightfully point out how creepy that is it'll get defended with "but they're just doing their job!"

A lot of people believed in the empire because it promised to return a sense of dignity to a people who had suffered greatly. The Galactic Weimar Republic was in an economic crisis that left the galaxy desperate. A lot of people got swept up in the fervor without fully realizing what they were doing. By the time the Death Star was built, it was too late to turn back.

As long as the movie doesn't veer into Alderaan denial territory (the planet exploded on its own, really?) I'm willing to accept the humanization of the Empire.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
It's too bad Nimoy died so he won't be able to be in the new Star Wars movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

It's too bad Nimoy died so he won't be able to be in the new Star Wars movie.

I would throw my hands down and get 210% behind all of these lovely movies if halfway through Episode VII Old Spock showed up and brought the cast of NuTrek into the Star Wars universe.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I mean yeah the Alderaan denialists make some points it's hard to refute.
In order for the Death Star to completely obliterate Alderaan, the superlaser would have had to have a throughput of 6.67x10^27 watts. A beam of that magnitude would have vaporized the emitter and the entire Death Star long before it vaporized a planet the size of Alderaan. The math doesn't add up.
But it makes even less sense that a planet with no weapons would blow up on its own.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

if there isn't an openly lgbt character in this new movie then im gonna sue disney

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also, if the empire did want to destroy planets, why go through the trouble of building a huge and expensive giant laser when they could have diverted a massive asteroid into Alderaan's orbit for a fraction of the cost in energy and resources?

I'm not saying Alderaan didn't happen, but I think it's time we questioned the official story.

Snaga_Drax
Sep 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

This! The Empire didn't take control by force, they were given the authority. Setting a universal currency, switching to the metric system. Those drat rabble-rousers trying to blow everything up and "stick it to the man", they're the criminals. All because they were told to cut their hair and get a job.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I was awestruck when we first see the orbital shot of the imperial city-planet of Trantor.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But in the movie the characters called it Croissant for some reason??

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:goonsay:

ahem

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Applewhite posted:

Except for killing all the space jews.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Star Wars isn't canon.

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas
I hope gungungs make a cameo in this movie like they did in the other ones.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They will but it'll be like some dark way of killing them to show the fans that this is serious Star Wars

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Matey posted:

if there isn't an openly lgbt character in this new movie then im gonna sue disney

True fact: lgbt people didn't exist in the old EU because someone in charge of a video game said so and it became canon.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hate to say it guys, but star wars in general isn't all that amazing. Way overhyped. It's just a movie (series), after all. Yeah it was good for its time, I guess

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Guardians of the Galaxy was better than A New Hope.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MisterFister posted:

I saw this target ad on fb for the build your own lightsaber toy and the comments from all the upset fans we're all you need to know about what's coming in the next few months. I will be waiting for the vod release so I can watch it in the privacy of my own home away from these horrible people.

i hope triumph can be back for round 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RGohIKxc9M

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

les fleurs du mall posted:

what;s even more confusing is how star wars fans -hate- the phantom menace and the other prequels all becauseo f jar jar binks

jar jar binks is a good star wars character, consistent with the camp silliness of the original franchise and is no different thematically to the comical talking bear chewbacca or the funny speech impediment goblin wizard yoda, and any pretense that the original trilogy is somehow more serious, less camp or more mature in any way is nerdish pseudonostalgia for a time that never existed.

Jar jar besa berry scared ani, wooooop

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Hate to say it guys, but star wars in general isn't all that amazing. Way overhyped. It's just a movie (series), after all. Yeah it was good for its time, I guess

2edgy4me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Bilbo Feet's ship was called Slave I.
Problematic, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Applewhite posted:

poo poo dude the only thing i remember about that movie was that there was a horny satan man

• Locked thread