Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

jabba's palace is almost as dumb as the ewoks, made even worse with that horrible song on the dvd and blu ray versions

i mean, luke's entire plan was "send all my friends to possibly die and then show up to fight jabba except I'm an idiot and fell into a pit containing a monster designed to sell toys. but it's okay because i fought it with a convenient bone i found instead of using my jedi powers but then get captured anyway because i forgot i sent my friends to get captured. now i am on a boat and it's a good thing that r2d2 is serving drinks and has a lightsaber in him so i can use my jedi powers to get my lightsaber back and kill everyone which i could've just done in the first place but i'm a dickhead".

the only good parts are the bits on the deathstar and the blu ray even managed to poo poo those up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
I haven't watched the movie trailers but i really liked the 'firefly' stuff the director did. i hope he does as well here.

I hope the star wars kicks rear end.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The truth is all of them have been bad, OP

Its just a question of whether you are child/manchild/autistic girl enough to enjoy them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
When you think about it, Star Wars is really about Darth Vader :smug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
"May the Fourth of May be with you." -Old Ben Canopy

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
Star Wars is the best, gently caress all you haters.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
Oh except for the prequels, gently caress the prequels.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Otterspace posted:

Oh except for the prequels, gently caress the prequels.

why?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
they're just as good as the original trilogy; silly, camp, witty, nonsensical . . .

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I hope disney runs this poo poo to the ground to such an extent that international law will be made to prosecute and exterminate star wars fans

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

les fleurs du mall posted:

they're just as good as the original trilogy; silly, camp, witty, nonsensical . . .

The cinematography and pacing of the prequel films is significantly worse, and action sequences are not judiciously conserved to invoke audience catharsis.
It's like the difference between any other lovely b-movie and a movie like Pulp Fiction. Yeah, you can say "but they both have hammy acting, cheesy effects and grainy film!" but the fact is that there are other, intangible qualities that make Pulp Fiction more than the sum of its parts.

It's the same for Star Wars.
The only reason the Prequel films are even close to thematically appropriate for the Star Wars franchise is because of the lovely trends started in Return of the Jedi.

When you think about it, episode VI is when Star Wars actually started going downhill.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Applewhite posted:

The cinematography and pacing of the prequel films is significantly worse, and action sequences are not judiciously conserved to invoke audience catharsis.
It's like the difference between any other lovely b-movie and a movie like Pulp Fiction. Yeah, you can say "but they both have hammy acting, cheesy effects and grainy film!" but the fact is that there are other, intangible qualities that make Pulp Fiction more than the sum of its parts.

It's the same for Star Wars.
The only reason the Prequel films are even close to thematically appropriate for the Star Wars franchise is because of the lovely trends started in Return of the Jedi.

When you think about it, episode VI is when Star Wars actually started going downhill.

they'er still just as enjoyable unless you care about star wars in a frankly psychologically disturbed way

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

they'er still just as enjoyable unless you care about star wars in a frankly psychologically disturbed way

Not especially. The "'verse" stuff doesn't bother me at all. I could give a poo poo about continuity or the expanded universe or even Jar Jar Binks.
They're just like, literally inferior films on every level from cinematography to plot to dialogue to acting.
Even the effects seemed less convincing somehow.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's like trying to make the argument that Terminator: Salvation is as good as Terminator 2 by pointing out the common elements shared between both films.
Actually Terminator 2 is better and that's a fact, Jack.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
the original trilogy wasn't good, though, except for pioneering special effects!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

the original trilogy wasn't good, though, except for pioneering special effects!

The original Trilogy wasn't good. The original two films (Hope and Empire) were good. They were retro sci-fi/fantasy with solid storytelling and cinematography that were to pulp sci-fi what Indiana Jones was to pulp adventure.
Lucas's initial budget restrictions forced him to adopt an economy of style that kept scenes tight and to the point with very little superfluous material. All the special effects serve to drive the plot forward and exterior shots of spaceships are used effectively to convey something important is happening.
Things start to unravel in Jedi as his "unfettered vision" begins to shine through and it turns out he's not a very good storyteller after all.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think Star Wars is good and Empire is legitimately a classic of American cinema. Jedi was just meh and that really was the point where Star Wars turned into an artless merchandizing machine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

I think Star Wars is good and Empire is legitimately a classic of American cinema. Jedi was just meh and that really was the point where Star Wars turned into an artless merchandizing machine.

P. much this.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
so what you're saying is that the redeeming features of the original 2 films all occured by chance / were not really intentional because the storytelling is actually truly poo poo? I agree!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

so what you're saying is that the redeeming features of the original 2 films all occured by chance / were not really intentional because the storytelling is actually truly poo poo? I agree!

Saying George Lucas isn't a good storyteller isn't the same as saying the first two films had bad stories. They had good stories, largely because George Lucas couldn't tell the story he wanted. A small but crucial distinction.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
i hope ep 7 is the worst god drat thing

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Saying George Lucas isn't a good storyteller isn't the same as saying the first two films had bad stories. They had good stories, largely because George Lucas couldn't tell the story he wanted. A small but crucial distinction.

Lucas wasnt really in control until Jedi onward. The first two films were basically made by other people.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Applewhite posted:

but they did have bad stories

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

but they did have bad stories

I disagree.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

JB50 posted:

Lucas wasnt really in control until Jedi onward. The first two films were basically made by other people.

You think Jew Jew Abrams is going to save this franchise?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Quote-Unquote posted:

jabba's palace is almost as dumb as the ewoks, made even worse with that horrible song on the dvd and blu ray versions

I think Lucas should be used as an example taught in film school how you don't loving doctor/revise films you've made after they've been released. My god this guy is a piece of poo poo.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Applewhite posted:

It seemed like the empire did a lot of good things. Nobody ever gives it credit for getting the space trains to run on time.
Emperor Palpitation did nothing wrong.

got rid of the muslim (jedi) morality police

rebels = islamo-marxist guerrilla

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Palpatine the liberator

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
It seems like the First Order imagery is reminiscent of islamonazis in TFA.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
i was watching empire strikes back in teh theater and my child arms were not strong enough to hold the gigantic soda my friend's mom had gotten me and I dropped it. She told me I could have some of my friend's soda but I wanted my own so I was sad the whole movie. I think I heard people laughing

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
It's probably going to be good. At the very least they'll be entertaining but hollow, like Star Trek.

I hope they remake episodes 1-3.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If they had let Michael Jackson be Jar Jar Binks as originally planned Episode 1 would be a classic to this day.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Boinks posted:

If they had let Michael Jackson be Jar Jar Binks as originally planned Episode 1 would be a classic to this day.

Michael Jackson looked like a Star Wars creature IRL.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Star Wars has never been good at any point in history.

*goes back to watching The Fountain on repeat*

*is not being ironic*

*gay*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Boinks posted:

Yousa been hitted by
Yousa been struckted by
a smooth crimbidal
*pratfall*

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i thought the star trek reboot was great but i havent actually seen any of the originals but im assuming they sucked

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i thought the star trek reboot was great but i havent actually seen any of the originals but im assuming they sucked

They feel like long episodes of television rather than a movie made to be shown in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
JJ Abrams loves to pervert everything he touches, the stupid lightsaber should have served as warning to everyone

• Locked thread