Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Sign O' The Times was also released on Blu-Ray in Australia. I watched it a few weeks back... as a movie it is complete garbage but at least the music is good.

Also, 'U Got The Look' inexplicably reverts back to VHS quality. It's really jarring and makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Creature posted:

Sign O' The Times was also released on Blu-Ray in Australia. I watched it a few weeks back... as a movie it is complete garbage but at least the music is good.

Also, 'U Got The Look' inexplicably reverts back to VHS quality. It's really jarring and makes no sense.

They probably used a tape SD source of U Got The Look for the movie itself. So, when they scanned in whatever film print they had for the Blu-Ray release, there was no improvement for that section since it used an inferior source. I can't find anything about what the U Got The Look music video was filmed on so I guess it's possible it was also shot on film.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Call Me Charlie posted:

They probably used a tape SD source of U Got The Look for the movie itself. So, when they scanned in whatever film print they had for the Blu-Ray release, there was no improvement for that section since it used an inferior source. I can't find anything about what the U Got The Look music video was filmed on so I guess it's possible it was also shot on film.

Chances are, U Got the Look was shot on film but it was edited on video, which meant when it came time for the movie, they had two choices - go back and reedit the music video, or just use a video. So, they had to use what they had. Also, it's possible the film elements don't exist anymore or are lost. Back then, how could they know that there might be a demand to have the videos available in higher quality. So, even if you wanted to, you might not be able to go back and remaster the video to match the quality of the rest of the film.

It's a shame his videos have essentially disappeared. He was a part of early MTV, and there just really isn't any way to see them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think I read a bunch of his videos have appeared back on YouTube, but yeah it's a shame that most of that stuff remains unseen.

There's a lot of live stuff up as well, so it's pretty easy to find material from his recent tours. Personally I think the highlight was around 2011. I know that he had a fractured relationship with performing his older material, but there's a video from Zurich where he can't help having this grin on his face during Purple Rain. Also, it's clear from his 2014 and later shows that he's alarmingly thin. I don't know which of the numerous rumours are true, but it's a shame to think that he was clearly suffering the last few years.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
re: his hip problems - when was the last time Prince did a split onstage?

I remember when MTV Music launched as a website, MTV put THEIR ENTIRE archive of music videos/live performances up, and there was a live version of I Would Die 4 U from 1984-ish that was 10 minutes long and was amazing. But of course Prince found out and within 2 days all his videos were pulled from the site.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ha, I can't even dislike him for it. The older I get and the more involved with writing and putting stuff out into the world, the more I understand his need to constantly control his product. I think there's a balance though, and it's a shame that a lot of the time fans suffered for it (Can Prince honestly claim he never sought out bootlegs of his favourite artists?). Its not like the folks over at Housequake were profiteering as such. He just took that aspect very seriously and was principled enough that he stuck to his guns.

However, whoever is looking after all that now is going to have a heart attack when they hit Youtube seeing as its a free for all. I even just found a copy of the Black Album on there. And right next to it is Crystal Ball.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So, I'm sure people knew this but despite being a fan I had no idea; the recording of 'Purple Rain' is actually a live version. In fact its the first time the song was performed live, so Prince just cut it short (Including a whole other verse which doesn't fit the song at all), added string overdubs and called that sucker complete. It makes sense that the song ends with live crowd noise, since I just assumed that was an overdub. Anyway, here it is EDIT: Already been taken down sadly.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 7, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

So, I'm sure people knew this but despite being a fan I had no idea; the recording of 'Purple Rain' is actually a live version. In fact its the first time the song was performed live, so Prince just cut it short (Including a whole other verse which doesn't fit the song at all), added string overdubs and called that sucker complete. It makes sense that the song ends with live crowd noise, since I just assumed that was an overdub. Anyway, here it is EDIT: Already been taken down sadly.

There's a full video bootleg of that show called The Makings Of Rain. It's fairly easy to find and it's amazing.

quote:

Let's Go Crazy
When You Were Mine
A Case Of You
Computer Blue
Delirious
Electric Intercourse
Automatic
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm A Star
Little Red Corvette
Purple Rain
D.M.S.R.

Three songs from this show: I Would Die 4 U, Baby I'm A Star and Purple Rain were reworked in the studio and released on Purple Rain

http://princevault.com/index.php?title=03_August_1983

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 7, 2016

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a shame his videos have essentially disappeared. He was a part of early MTV, and there just really isn't any way to see them.

That's why I recorded all seven hours of Rage last weekend, they played just about every video he made. If I'd been better planned I'd have got another hour from early Saturday morning as well. Most of them I hadn't seen before, because guest programmers always choose either 'Sign O The Times', which is the most dull video ever, or 'Gett Off'. Sometimes 'Kiss'. Everything else is forgotten.

Now I have a HDD full of Prince videos I don't know what to do with.

Creature fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 8, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of my biggest beefs with MJ's death is that his estate never went back and remastered his music videos in HD

I would buy the poo poo out of a Blu Ray with all Prince's videos in HD (if possible - I'm sure some were filmed on videotape)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Listening to Black Sweat (Live) from Tidal. It's crazy to think that a week later he'd be dead.

I really hope his estate releases the full show while everybody's still paying attention. Even Prince realized he captured lightning in a bottle with that performance.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Listening to Black Sweat (Live) from Tidal. It's crazy to think that a week later he'd be dead.

I really hope his estate releases the full show while everybody's still paying attention. Even Prince realized he captured lightning in a bottle with that performance.

Given that they're still probably arguing over money and who's controlling what, it'll likely be a long time before any of that stuff, outside of bootlegs, gets any sort of official release. Even then his vault material will get priority I imagine.

Speaking of, it's somehow oddly poetic that his final public performance was of Purple Rain.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

Given that they're still probably arguing over money and who's controlling what, it'll likely be a long time before any of that stuff, outside of bootlegs, gets any sort of official release. Even then his vault material will get priority I imagine.

Speaking of, it's somehow oddly poetic that his final public performance was of Purple Rain.

I'm hoping it won't take too long after the value of the estate is figured out and any possible kids are ruled out. The only two siblings making a media play are Tyka and Alfred. And both of them seem to be in agreeance that his music needs to be released. Everybody else seems fine with a payday. The live album's already done. They just need to hand it off to a record label.

It was really cool how he weaved The Beautiful Ones and Diamonds & Pearls through Purple Rain. The show had a few moments like that (he weaved the Peanuts theme through Dirty Mind and Little Red Corvette)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 9, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm hoping it won't take too long after the value of the estate is figured out and any possible kids are ruled out. The only two siblings making a media play are Tyka and Alfred. And both of them seem to be in agreeance that his music needs to be released. Everybody else seems fine with a payday. The live album's already done. They just need to hand it off to a record label.

It was really cool how he weaved The Beautiful Ones and Diamonds & Pearls through Purple Rain. The show had a few moments like that (he weaved the Peanuts theme through Dirty Mind and Little Red Corvette)

Who knows with these things. The split in fortune can be sorted fairly easily I guess, but when it comes to future releases and who decides on how that's all to be managed then god knows what happens. I'm just hoping they do it right and don't put out some quick cash-ins.

I have to believe that Warners are going to come knocking though and you're going to see reissues with bonus material etc.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's an interesting article.

quote:

Unfortunately, the big headline everyone remembers about Prince and the Internet is when he said it was “over” in 2010. Many people with short memories used him as the poster boy for the old guard of musicians who “just don’t get it.”

But the reality is that Prince was a pioneer: Over 20 years ago, years before iTunes, iPods or broadband, he already understood that the Web would change the whole industry, and he had a vision for how fans would access his music through the Internet.

“Welcome 2 the Dawn, playground for the New Power Generation,” begins Prince’s 1994 song “Interactive.” “There are over 500 experiences to choose from. Here’s a sample. …”

The song kicked off his underground film, “The Beautiful Experience,” starring Nona Gaye. Don’t bother looking for it on Amazon, it was never officially released. It only got screened during special viewing parties across the United States.

I saw it in Chicago at the Park West, and my eyes lit up. Prince showed me songs I had never heard before, like “Pheromone” and “The Days of Wild,” with videos for all of them. This was the visual album 20 years before Beyoncé. And according to this film, you could only access the album through a computer, a computer with a “Come” button on its keyboard. This experience didn’t exist yet, but Prince’s vision of the future was clear. And I knew I wanted to be a part of it.

Six years later, I found myself in the position of brainstorming ideas with Prince for what would become his first official online music club. I had been doing professional Web design for years by that point, and through a mutual friend I got the opportunity to work on Prince’s charity website, Love4OneAnother.com. That led to work on two more Prince sites, 1800newfunk.com, and NPGOnlineLTD.com, which is where the real planning began on how we could use this Internet to make a real business.

During this time, Prince and I often had long conversations about the music industry at his Paisley Park Studio. One time he described a fairly standard contracting situation, in which a musician signs a multimillion-dollar deal with a record label, but it’s got clauses that make all the payments contingent on specific numbers of album sales.

“Guess who’s counting the album sales?” I recall him saying.

The record label does.

“So you’re told, ‘Oh sorry, you didn’t sell enough,’ ” Prince railed. “Meanwhile you’re selling out stadiums and everyone knows the words. The creators of the contract control the whole distribution chain.”

In his view, they could make up whatever number they wanted.

Prince’s goals for his own online business were simple. As the creator of the music, he wanted to control the distribution chain himself with as little dilution as possible. “Let the baker bake the bread,” he would often say.

The recording industry had been all about gatekeepers before the Internet. Record labels, radio stations, and music store chains were all middlemen that needed their cut or else you wouldn’t get through. Now he saw the Internet as a perfect way to level the playing field. If he built his own online record label, his own online radio station, and his own online music store, he had just as much access to his audience as the traditional channels did. He finally had a way to skip all the barriers and go direct.

Anyone who has followed his career knows that he was a huge advocate for artists’ rights and a fair payment system. Technology was catching up to his vision.

On Valentine’s Day 2001, we launched the NPG (New Power Generation) Music Club. We started out with monthly “editions” that delivered multiple new song downloads per month, plus a downloaded radio show curated by Prince and the NPG that featured new music, commentary and comedic skits. All that came for either a monthly fee or a premium annual fee that got you bonus songs.

This was the first step in realizing the dream of Prince’s film “The Beautiful Experience” from seven years earlier: New music was flowing directly from Paisley Park to your computer.

Prince was always changing things up — that was one of his signatures. And each year, we changed our approach to the NPG Music Club. Sometimes we distributed downloads, other times we sent CDs directly to members. Finally, we settled on the Musicology Download Store, the only place where you could download Prince’s independent catalog. During this time, we also attracted an amazing community of club members, many of whom got the best seats on his One Nite Alone and Musicology concert tours, as well as access to sound checks, press conferences, and week-long summer celebrations at Paisley Park.

This direct connection between the fans and an artist on Prince’s level didn’t exist before the NPG Music Club. There was no Twitter, Facebook or even YouTube. At the time, he saw direct Internet distribution as a model for all artists. He would tell me, if you could build your own music club, why would you need to pay anyone else a share and give away all your fans’ information? Why not do it all yourself — downloads, concert tickets, streaming concert events, and even a hub for emerging artists? He was leading the way to a new artist-owned music business.

“Why do I need to give my music to iTunes,” he would often tell me. “We’ve got our own iTunes right here. This is how it’s supposed to be done.”

As a result of this work, Prince received a well-deserved Webby Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006; the award cites how he “forever altered the landscape of online musical distribution” and “reshaped the relationship between artist and fan.” The NPG Music Club also received its own Webby Award that year for Best Celebrity/Fan Site, and when I accepted the award, it felt like a real validation.

But after the awards, Prince again felt the need to change things up. He believed the club had proven itself a legitimate business model, and once we won the Webby, it was a good time to go out on a high note. I had a lot of mixed feelings about this. We had done so much; I didn’t want to see it end. But as I said, Prince liked change. So after a lot of back and forth with him, I had to accept the decision and move on.

The NPG Music Club doesn’t always get the acknowledgement it deserves in the never-ending debate about Prince’s relationship with the Internet. But for a moment in time, we had something special no one had ever seen before — and something prescient, that predicted some of the questions about online distribution and artist agency that would come later.

Over the past few years, Prince warmed up to the Internet again: He used Twitter as his preferred communication tool, and threw his full catalog in with Tidal. I never heard this directly from Prince, but I believe he saw Tidal as the next evolution of what the NPG Music Club could have been: an artist-owned distribution channel that could release his music as fast as he could make it and pay the artists involved a fair rate.

It was not a surprise to me then when several of Prince’s NPG Music Club releases reappeared on Tidal, ready to be streamed all over the world once again. I’m just sorry that I won’t have another chance to watch him change the rules.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lped-him-do-it/

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

That's a great piece, and I believe that when he said the internet was over, what he meant in context was that for musicians and artists it's over because of iTunes and streaming services. Of course, the rest of it isn't a catchy soundbite so it never gets mentioned.

Also, Mac Demarco covered 'It's Gonna Be Lonely' which is such an underrated cut (So much that Prince never performed it live). He struggles on those high notes at the end but gives it a good effort https://youtu.be/I-q4WjaKEDk

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

People are starting to get really adventurous with their YouTube uploads now and have uploaded the iVault collection, barring one or two years. It's neat to hear the evolution of him as an artist, starting way back in 1976 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXxBhwxg010. 85 and 86 are shockingly prolific years, but a lot of the 90s stuff kind of goes to show who he creatively started to lose his way. I'm sure that there's a whole lot of poo poo in the vault, but then you got some stuff like this killer version of The Dance Electric https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XRf3z0hZFo

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 12, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The nuttiest thing about the Vault is thinking how many different versions of a song there must be in there.

And who knew there was an Xtraloveable music video made.

Lala Escarzega posted:

The last video we shot together.

He never released this and the day I arrived at Paisley, I had no idea I was shooting it. I've actually never even seen the video myself. This was the first time I got him to dance with me. It was all my choreography. -He believed in me more than I believed in myself.

There was a moment during shooting where I was on stage dancing. It was just him, me and the camera man. P could tell I was a bit nervous because I felt unprepared. But that was the thing with him, u never knew when he was going to want to perform or shoot a video and not tell you. U always had to be prepared with him.
He stood off stage just to my left. I glanced over at him... He said, "Dance from here" *points to his heart*, "Not here" *points to his head*. He had a gentle way with me when he critiqued me and he could always sense exactly what I was thinking or feeling without me saying anything. #telepathy

quote:

This is a silhouette of Prince and I, from the video Xtralovable, which I used to tease Prince that it was spelled wrong.
I miss him so deeply.
Posting this is bittersweet.
If you know me, you know that I don't care for fame or hype. It means nothing to me without him here. I see many using his name now for the wrong reasons.
But this video, I learned, was important to him.
He was my friend first, & an icon 2nd in my world. I used to tell him, "I think I forget who you are sometimes". And he would give me big eyes and a funny face and say, "uh, yeah!" Lol!

That is one thing I know he appreciated about me. Prince just wanted to be normal around his inner circle. That is why he stayed in Minneapolis.

Because people treated him normal.

We would go to the movies (albeit, he'd still shut down the theatre), the store, coffee shops & drive around MN and he could do so because he knew he was "safe" there.
Sometimes when we'd drive around, Prince would do this hilarious thing where he'd say "watch this" and then he'd find some random stranger walking down the street and very animatedly stick out his hand and wave "hi" to them.

Most people would casually wave back.
I thought it was so funny. And he'd do it all the time because he knew it made me laugh.

We had so much fun together. But we also argued, as those who are close, inevitably do. During December of 2015, we hadn't spoke in a few weeks. We were distant.
I got very very sick in January of this year and when he found out I was in the hospital, he reached out to me immediately. That was Prince's way of demonstrating his love for me.
No matter the distance between us.

Which for Prince, if you know him... He can ignore you for a long time if he wants to. And he had... Up until when he found out I was sick.
It makes me sad, that I could not do more to save him. It breaks me inside & makes me angry.

I had just spoken to him a few days before he transcended, (after his plane scare), and told him how much I missed him & how badly it had scared me when I heard of an emergency landing.

He told me he was ok & with a smile. He told me not to worry.

We both talked about meeting soon.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

DrVenkman posted:

And even sadder/equally poetic that right before that was "Sometimes it Snows in April" :(

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

If anyone does have Tidal, they've released a bunch of stuff to 'celebrate' Prince's birthday:

The Black Album (1987)
The Gold Experience (1995)
Chaos & Disorder (1996)
Crystal Ball (1998)
1999: The New Master (1999)
Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (1999)
Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic (2001)
The Rainbow Children (2001)
One Nite Alone ... Live! (2002)
One Nite Alone ... The Aftershow: It Ain’t Over (2002)
Indigo Nights (2008)
Exodus (1995)
New Power Soul (1998)
1-800-NEW-FUNK (1994)
Girl 6 - Official (1996)

You too can complete your collection with 1999: The New Master.

Don't though, because it's loving terrible.

Still, it's weird that same of his main catalogue is still missing but Tidal release these.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

Still, it's weird that same of his main catalogue is still missing but Tidal release these.

I'm more surprised that 20Ten still hasn't been added.

Also somebody at prince.org noticed this.

"Prince left his masters where they safe and sound
We're never gonna let the elevator take him down" - Jay-Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ODny2oztGY&feature=youtu.be&t=1m44s

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 7, 2016

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

loving Tidal. They've made some of those rare albums available to buy, but not the One Nite Alone Live set. Only the poo poo like C-Note.

Of course the asking price on eBay is $250+. Bastards.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

begun, the estate wars have :banjo:

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/06/07/prince-entertainment-consultants-court

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

They ruled in favor of the trust. We may see some official things much sooner than people expected.

quote:

A Minnesota state judge Wednesday (July 8) granted the trust overseeing the late pop superstar's assets limited authority to hire entertainment industry experts to help manage his music holdings and court investors for a summer celebration at his Paisley Park compound in suburban Minnesota.

Judge Kevin W. Eide agreed with special administrator Bremer Trust that there was an urgent need to begin monetizing Prince's intellectual property, rejecting opposition from a potential heir who wanted the process delayed until the court has determined who is legally entitled to inherit Prince's estate.

The judge also noted, however, that Bremer's appointment as administrator would end no later than Nov. 2, 2016, and insisted that any agreements set to extend beyond that date must be submitted to Prince's presumed heirs for review and would require court approval.

Judge Eide's order addressed the concerns raised by Bremer and by Prince's presumed heirs over an hour-long hearing at the Carver County District Court in Chaska, Minnesota, on Tuesday.

At that time, Bremer Trust argued that it required broad authority to immediately begin monetizing Prince's intellectual property assets, citing an enormous tax bill on the horizon and lucrative incoming offers.

Attorneys representing nine of Prince's potential heirs offered a variety of responses to Bremer's proposal, ranging from support to opposition to compromise.

Bremer Trust stepped into its role as special administrator for the estate on April 27 -- six days after Prince's death -- at the request of his sister, Tyka Nelson, who told the court her brother had apparently died without a will.

At Tuesday's hearing, Douglas Peterson, an attorney for Bremer, said the special administrator has a duty to maximize the value of Prince's estate and that any delay in entering negotiations would interfere with its exercise of that duty.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7400354/prince-estate-open-for-business-judge-ruling

Honestly, I hope they put together a Experience Hendrix Paisley Park tour with The Time, The Family, Shelia E and any other former protegees they can rope in.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 9, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

July 8?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Call Me Charlie posted:

They ruled in favor of the trust. We may see some official things much sooner than people expected.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7400354/prince-estate-open-for-business-judge-ruling

Honestly, I hope they put together a Experience Hendrix Paisley Park tour with The Time, The Family, Shelia E and any other former protegees they can rope in.

The Revolution are reuniting to tour as a tribute :fap:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SgtScruffy posted:

The Revolution are reuniting to tour as a tribute :fap:

I wish they'd get Andre Cymone to do lead vocals.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

All told, court records indicate 29 people have claimed to have some familial relationship to Prince, although some haven't offered any credible evidence.

One woman from Wisconsin claims she and Prince are both children of the late actor Paul Newman.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Welp

Apple in Talks to Acquire Jay Z's Tidal

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
20Ten was finally added to Tidal so there's his entire discography.

And there's a cool new site that collected all of Prince's websites.

http://princeonlinemuseum.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V9SbfLA4Zw

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth a double post. The Revolution are playing two nights at First Avenue and Dez and Andre Cymone are also going to be on stage

http://first-avenue.com/content/2016/09/therevolution

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

wow

it will probably sell out before i am able to replenish my outings fund :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I get paid Friday when they go on sale, but they're going to sell out in seconds I'm sure.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i even know a guy who knows a guy at first ave, but i don't think that would help for this one :lol:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got tickets to the Revolution show at First Ave in September.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^^Who's going to be doing vocals/frontman?^^^^

So is this the "official Prince Thread" on this forum or a TIDAL thread? I started a Prince thread shortly after his death but closed it because it just sort of sat there, which surprised me until I noticed how little goons post about music.

I absolutely love Prince. Started with 1999 and never looked back. What I great ride he took me on.

I even met him twice and once bumped into Chuck D. at a show in Atlanta. I recognized Chuck right away. First time I ever saw a Prince after show, was in 2000, the night I met my (ex) wife, and he brought Chuck D. out for "Fight the Power" so naturally when I introduced myself to Chuck a year or so later I asked him where the aftershow was. Sadly, none were scheduled that night.

Prince is hands down my favorite musician of all time. Seen him live 7 times and two aftershows. I used to think I owned or had at least seen everything but I have not. The only good thing to come from his death has been that the YouTube moratorium seems to have been lifted (with no one to enforce it I guess) and there's been an absolute explosion of material, a lot of which I'd never seen.

Do any of you guys post on Prince.org ever? Any former members of NPGMC?

How many of you have seen those 2am jam sessions because that's where the magic was?

Any favorite outtakes or bootlegs? Links to cool shows?

The main concerts were great, if a little choreographed and stiff, but with the aftershows...just watching Prince open with "The Ride", being able to see his hands work that axe or noodle with a bass, and watch him cue his band for time changes and poo poo...just jam at 3 in the morning...was really something really special.

I don't think there's anyone who is quite like him, if there ever was, and I miss him and his art so much. It left a real void in my life.

2016 has been brutal for "cool people dying". Prince, Ali and Bowie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

If I had seen there was a real Prince thread I would've posted in that one instead. I assume most people just think this is a Tidal one.

I don't post on Prince.org but I do read it quite a bit. Though with any fan forum it can get a little...passionate. It's good for seeking out information though, and the Prince Vault is a great resource for learning more about recordings.

As for cool stuff, it really depends on your era. I have The Work bootleg, which is every unreleased song (I believe other boots cover alternate takes etc) up until I guess the late 90s, which is when he stopped giving out tapes and got really tight on security.

Without a doubt 80-87 contains the best work he did because he was insanely prolific. Most people have heard them but songs like 'Extraloveable' and 'Moonbeam Levels' are fantastic and deserve to be heard. Ultimately it depends how far down that road you want to go. There's countless variations of 'Sign O The Times' out there (Back when it was Crystal Ball) that have more of the Camille material he had recorded. Then there's the earlier configurations of the Diamonds And Pearls album, which a lot of people will argue is better.

I know a bit less about live shows, but it really feels like most of them were bootlegged at some point. A lot of the aftershows as well. I believe there's some Netherlands gigs from 87 that are highly regarded. I quite like seeking out much earlier shows because you get to hear material he didn't perform live that often (Aside from 'It's Gonna Be Lonely', which he sadly never did live), but those are pretty hard to come by.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm "pretty far down the road" as you put it.

I have an entire shelf of bootleg CDs and almost all of the official stuff. Been thinking about copying the bootlegs and getting some of them up on ebay while the iron is still relatively hot. Thing with the boots is the sound quality is all over the place. Since his death I'm discovering stuff all over the place that I hadn't heard (or especially seen). The concerts I've been watching are especially great.

God drat was this guy ever good.

I've heard/have almost all the 80's outtakes and alternates and I agree it's really great but I have a similar collection of material from The Gold Experience that's just funky as poo poo. I'd put it up agains the Revolution stuff. The NPG with Mike Bland on drums had a much heavier bottom end and a thicker, richer, funkier sound. I think they were a much better band than the Revolution. Not sure if you ever heard "Exodus" but that thing is funkier than 1999 and The Black Album combined. It's kind of a lost gem that only die hards know about and I everyone I turn onto it that loves Clinton/Sly style funk goes nuts for it.

Lastly, it seems like Jay-Z has control over the masters? How's that gonna work?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 13, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I only see Jay-Z and Prince together in news stories talking about the possibility that Tidal could be sold. This is in reference to how it might require the new owner of Tidal to re-do a deal with Prince's estate in order to keep his music on the service.

Also, selling bootlegs? :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is the Prince thread. My last one made around the time when 3rdEyeGirl debuted fell into the archive. And this was the most recent news about him.

Post on the org. Have a bunch of bootlegs. Never seen him live.

From what I read, if somebody buys Tidal, they'll have to renegotiate with Prince's estate to try to keep the rights to stream his catalog.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure if you ever heard "Exodus" but that thing is funkier than 1999 and The Black Album combined. It's kind of a lost gem that only die hards know about and I everyone I turn onto it that loves Clinton/Sly style funk goes nuts for it.

For anybody who hasn't heard it https://listen.tidal.com/album/61495341

I have a bootleg of an earlier configuration called The Exodus Has Begun and it's a fantastic ep if you swap out It Takes 3 with Return Of The Bump Squad from the final release. Love how it was suppose to be his version of Funkadelic.

I'm going to send you a PM of a NPG soundboard called Release Date Never that released shortly before Prince's death. Probably the dirtiest funk I've ever heard from him live. It's a short set cut off by the curfew at Glam Slam but they were on point that night.

29th May 1994 (am)
1) Sex Machine (Sly & The Family Stone Cover) 2) It's Alright 3) New Power Soul 4) Dolphin (Aborted) 5) The Most Beautiful Girl In The World (Mustang Mix) 6) Get Wild 7) Billy Jack Bitch 8) Days Of Wild (cut short - including Hair)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 13, 2016

• Locked thread