Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:siren: FX has almost certainly changed the name of this show and broken all your season passes again. Don't forget to make a new one. :siren:

Teaser Videos
Front Desk
Towhead
Sleepwalk
Jeepers Peepers
Beauty Rest
Do Not Disturb
Hallways
Locked Up
Above & Below
Fright Idea
Dropped Call

American Horror Story is an anthology series created by Ryan Murphy. Each season is a self-contained storyline*, a pastiche of forms and genres found in western-style horror.

American Horror Story: Hotel takes place in the Hotel Cortez in the present day, as a string of murders draws the guests and staff into intrigue and danger. This will be the first season not to feature Jessica Lange; the central character this time will be played by Lady Gaga. The rest of the cast is filled out by Murphy's stable of regulars (Kathy Bates, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, Angela Bassett, Denis O'Hare, Wes Bentley, Emma Roberts) as well as a few new faces (Naomi Campbell, Madchen Amick, Cheyenne Jackson). Lily Rabe will also be returning, continuing the tradition of integrating real-life horror into the fiction by portraying serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

AHS: Hotel will premiere on October 7, 2014.

Previously on American Horror Story:

Season 4: Freak Show

The fourth installment of American Horror Story revolved around a circus and freak show struggling to survive in postwar Florida, and the motley crew of weirdos and social castoffs that owner and putative star Elsa Mars recruited into it. While a definite improvement over Coven, its tendency to wander again led to a failure to stand up to the first two seasons, despite standout roles like Finn Wittrock as a deeply damaged nouveau-riche brat and John Carroll Lynch as a filthy and terrifying serial-killing clown. The show was also compromised by its desire to act as a loving sendoff for Jessica Lange, who left the franchise after its conclusion. Perhaps if they hadn't spent so much budget and effort on giving Sarah Paulson an extra head?

Season 3: Coven

The third installment of American Horror Story told the tale of a group of witches living covertly in the guise of a girls' boarding school in modern-day New Orleans, the last descendants of the witches who fled Salem in the aftermath of its famous trials. The school has dwindled to a mere four students, but its slow descent into irrelevance is interrupted by the reappearance of the energetic and bullheaded mother of the headmistress, whose careless schemes lead to the resurrection of an ancient feud with the local voodoo practitioners- which fades to irrelevance once the show becomes obsessed with the question of who will become the next Supreme, leader of all witches. Cinematography, production design, and dextrous scenery nibbling can't save it at this point, and Coven is generally held to be very inferior to the previous two seasons.

Season 2: Asylum

The second installment of American Horror Story focused on the goings-on at Briarcliff, a mental asylum in 1964 Massachusetts ruled with an iron fist by Sister Jude, and the repercussions of those events in the present day. Ambitious journalist Lana Winters tries to infiltrate the asylum to expose the horrors perpetrated upon the inmates and investigate the serial killer Bloody Face, but she's quickly discovered and trapped in a hellish nightmare of crazed lunatics, psychological torment, evil spirits, cannibal mutants, Nazi doctors, religious zealotry, and alien abduction (complete with a visit from a psychotic spree-killing Santa Claus played by Ian McShane). Dense, fast-moving, and filled to the brim with disturbing imagery, it was unconstrained by any semblance of reality and it was glorious. Also, Adam Levine (yes, the guy from Maroon 5) gets his arm ripped off during a blowjob.

Season 1: Murderhouse

The first installment of American Horror Story followed the story of the Harmons (Ben, Vivien, and Violet), a family strained almost to the breaking point by infidelity who seek a fresh start by moving into a massive, picturesque house in Los Angeles. Unfortunately for them the house comes with a long and bloody history that has led to it being haunted by an enormous population of ghosts, all of whom hate the new inhabitants and also each other. The resulting twelve-episode clusterfuck became one of the more memorable experiences of the 2011 season and marked this as a show to pay attention to.

*As the show evolves, this conceit has mostly faded away, with more and more links between seasons and admissions of a "shared universe". Hotel is openly advertising its connections even before it's aired now.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Needs more Taissa Farmiga. :colbert:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mad Dragon posted:

Needs more Taissa Farmiga. :colbert:

Needs more Lily Rabe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

Needs more Lily Rabe.

It has at least 2 episodes worth of Lily Rabe (the Halloween special), unclear if she'll stick around.

Also unclear what it means that Lily Rabe is Aileen Wuornos in a world in which Lily Rabe is also Sister Mary Eunice and Misty Day and Nora Montgomery.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show is 100x better binge watched plus they have that goofy long break over halfway through. I might just DVR and wait.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

haveblue posted:

It has at least 2 episodes worth of Lily Rabe (the Halloween special), unclear if she'll stick around.

Also unclear what it means that Lily Rabe is Aileen Wuornos in a world in which Lily Rabe is also Sister Mary Eunice and Misty Day and Nora Montgomery.

Yeah, who loving knows.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lady Gaga? Yeah this season wont be anything other than horrible. Someone really needs to rip this show away from Ryan Murphy and give it to someone else

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
American Horror Story: Silent Hill Fashion Show

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

If Hotel was coming off of the high of Asylum, I would be beside myself with anticipation, but after the last two lackluster seasons, I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Here's the intro for Scream Queens too, if anybody is interested in more Ryan Murphy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJH7ire9oDQ :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHluAYPd9sE :rock:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh my god. I just discovered this show last week and I am like totally in loving shock that a show like this exists. And that I didn't start watching it sooner. Hopefully it's cool for me to talk overly verbosely about my experience watching the first two seasons?

I was having a typical insomniac night last week, and a boring day ahead of me, and I decided, hey - I'll give this show a shot! I decided to start with season 2, as the (only) thing I really knew about this show other than Jessica Lange's perpetual awesomeness going into it was that it was an anthology horror show and the concept of a scary Insane Asylum interested me more than a Haunted House or Witches. Bit I knew nothing else, I was totally unprepared. I was expecting something serious, slow-paced, introspective, dark. I was worried it would just be too rote and boring and take itself seriously. Good loving god were my fears SO misguided and wrong.

I was just totally blown away by season 2 from the very first episode - it was absolutely AMAZING over-the-top insanely fun horror-candy! And absolutely full of character actors I utterly love from previous stuff - I mean, for god's sake you have James Cromwell playing an evil and deranged former Nazi scientist, rescued via Operation Paperclip and gleefully mutilating his patients! And James Cromwell might be my absolutely favorite character, so seeing him hold his cock while telling a whore dress as a nun to show him her "mossy bank" with a straight face is something that will likely stay with me forever - for example, and we all know that's just one example from the season. Zachary Quinto as a magnificently hosed up psychopath "Baby needs colostrum" is so horrifying that I don't think that line/image/scene will ever leave me. Or Lily Rabe just stealing scenes here and there as the freaking devil - "Just think of it as a big box of music!" And of course, of course, Jessica Lange was so amazing in Asylum that I just developed a huge respect for that character (Sister Jude/Judy Martin) and the way she was written and portrayed.

And then actors I had never seen before (like Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters for instance) who just did amazing work. The series just... It was so incredibly different from my expectations and was so extreme and intense and out there. I can't believe this was on cable, like, normal TV with commercials. Because it's so incredibly disturbing and upsetting and violent and hosed up than most anything you'll find on, like, HBO or Showtime. But whatever.

So I watched all of Asylum in, quite literally, a single day - and I never do that. Then I obviously decided to watch season 1, despite some misgivings, and it was certainly fun - I sort of did it backwards but I still enjoy the re-using of the same actor in different roles, it's something I quite like. Dylan McDermott is also freaking *hilarious* to watch. Season 1 had a few strokes of brilliance but it definitelty got... kinda lost. Took me a few days to watch it, and while I enjoyed it was nowhere even close to the work of art that season 2 was. But still quite a lot of it was good, and it had its moments. I was watching it quickly (as you can tell) and I was purposely not thinking too hard about anything that was going on in season 1 - I honestly just turned off the part of my brain that looks for plot holes or inconsistencies because there were so freaking many that I just had to roll with it less I fall into one of those gaping chasms of a plot hole. But I didn't mind that, because the show doesn't give a poo poo about plot holes and it really shouldn't - it's entirely missing the point. But anyway, because my brain was so turned off and I was just letting it wash over me, I was totally blown away and shocked by the reveal that Violet had actually died on her suicide attempt. I had considered it at the time but dismissed it shortly after for some reason, but it was very very obvious in retrospect. At least I enjoyed it - stuff like this is a big advantage of binge watching.

Geek-god Todd VanderWerff used to cover this on AV Club as some of you probably know (I really enjoy his writing) and I feel like he summed up why this show works (at least apropos to season 2) in a really perfect way. A better way than I could, in any case. So I'm going to quote from his review of "Madness Ends", the last episode of season 2:

Todd VanDerWerff posted:

These last two episodes haven’t so radically changed my opinion of American Horror Story as to blind me to its weird storytelling lurches and haphazard character development, but they have increased my belief in what this show is capable of. Where once I saw a goofy lark that could occasionally turn out a fun, twist-laden episode, I now see a show that has ambitions beyond simply trying to make people laugh and/or shriek in equal manner. (And, okay, the laughs have always been greater than the shrieks.) This is a big mess of a show, and every episode has moments of outright lunacy, where I wonder what Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk are thinking, but it’s also a show that’s got an emotional core now, a core that has a surprisingly compassionate streak somewhere inside of it. This season swung for the fences; it may have struck out as often as it connected, but when it did, the moments it came up with were indelible.

I’m trying not to oversell this, because I’m sure you know as well as I do that the experience of watching this is the experience of vacillating crazily between, “Am I really watching this? It’s so stupid!” and “This is some pretty daring television!” This happens often enough in the same scene that I find myself baffled as to what I really think of what I’m watching, beyond the vague sense that I’m mostly having a good time. Take, for instance, the long sequence in which we watched the last days of Sister Jude, which happened at the home of Kit and his two children, attempting to live a normal life with a mad, older woman who comes into their lives because Kit’s a compassionate dude. This all builds up to a sequence where the kids lead Jude off into the woods—like fairies leading children away in a fairy tale—and when she returns, she’s back to who she was, back to Judy Martin. She’s fun-loving and full of life. She’s a great surrogate grandmother, and the kind of loving figure Kit needs in his life. And then she dies, and it’s surprisingly sad.

What do you do with that? On the one hand, it’s just a big lump of exposition, no matter how evocative some of the shots (like Jude walking off into the wilderness) can be. On the other, there’s a stark poetry to some of what happens, like the way that the Death Angel and Jude are alone together at last, a couple singled out on a bare stage by a beam of light that hits them just so. (This series has some beautiful cinematography.) Anyone who’s had mental illness in their life at any point can absolutely understand what’s happening here: Jude was driven mad, and now, she gets a respite of six months to be herself again, before the aliens or death or whoever takes her away. Mental illness is a cancer that eats away at lives; wouldn’t you cut any deal you could to be rid of it for a while, to be whole? The Sister Jude sequence is incredibly stupid and deeply beautiful, and when American Horror Story walks that line, there’s nothing else quite like it.

This is one of the things I was trying to get at in that review of the Murder Santa episode, but I think that we as people who talk and think about TV a lot don’t put enough weight on mold-breaking. Shows that break the mold are sometimes wildly erratic and completely hosed up, and that can make us anxious. We sometimes over-value consistency, of tone or of plotting or of whatever, to the detriment of shows that maybe don’t always connect but are always trying to figure out new ways of TV storytelling. And, yes, a wildly inconsistent show has its own burdens to bear. I went back and tried to watch a few episodes of the first season of this show, and I still found them messy and empty and incomplete. But the second season of American Horror Story got in a zone every so often—a zone you could miss if you looked away—and it made for some evocative, spellbinding television, almost as often as it made for TV that was just completely stupid.

If I had to figure out a reason I’d wager it worked, I’d point to Sarah Paulson’s Lana Winters, perhaps the most purely sympathetic character a Ryan Murphy series has ever had. What was interesting about Lana was that everybody involved—Paulson, the show’s writers, its directors—didn’t bother too much trying to make her “likeable.” Instead, they just put her in a series of awful situations—a recipe that often becomes a poorly plotted mess—and counted on her purity of spirit and intention to shine through. The finale concludes with her laying out a kind of seduction to get her son to lay down his gun, then using that gun to put a bullet in his head, and I was surprised how momentous this moment seemed. Granted, she also killed his father by shooting him, but that was a much more fraught situation. Here, she’s just ridding herself of a bit of unfinished business, albeit one that’s threatening her life. The time at Briarcliff—even if just a small part of the whole of her life—marked her. The episode flashes back to a conversation between Lana and Jude when she first entered the asylum, and it says that when you stare at evil long enough, it eventually stares back. Lana knows that only too well now. Paulson’s work has gained a kind of wariness throughout the season, and that wariness comes through very clearly in the scenes set in the present day. She’s a woman marked as much by horror as by love, and that will do things to a person.

In the end, I think I responded to this season so strongly because it was, ultimately, about a bunch of people trying to get past a trauma and failing. [...]

I think I responded to the season *so* strongly for exactly the same way, As silly as it was it times, it managed these incredibly poignant moments, and the background and subtext of over-the-top insanity and campiness is almost appropriate to me because... sometimes that's how life very often feels, even if it's not what it is.

Anyway, sorry for the massive post. I'm just... really, really loving this series and getting into it. I think, at least in season 2, it was *really* pushing boundaries. I have heard season 3 is not as good, and frankly it's the premise I am lease interested in, but 2 episodes into it so far and I am still REALLY enjoying myself because as silly as the plot is Jessica Lange is being really awesome, as is Kathy Bates. And I have a feeling Frances Conroy (a REAL standout and scene-stealer from season 1) will wind up being a formidable presence this season though I do not believe I have seen her since she took Violet (I mean Zoe) away. That's actually a mean joke I should make becayse Violet and Zoe are extremely different characters and Taissa Farmiga deserves some credit for *really* not just riffing on the same type of adolescent girl at all but playing a very different character and pulling it off effortlessly.

Out of curiosity, how does Freak show compare to the other seasons? I am honestly looking forward to it, after Asylum it was the premise that seemed to have the most potential. Anyway, I'll get to it!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I wish I could relive season 2 with fresh eyes. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

kaworu posted:

Out of curiosity, how does Freak show compare to the other seasons? I am honestly looking forward to it, after Asylum it was the premise that seemed to have the most potential. Anyway, I'll get to it!

I'll save you 13 hours.

BAD!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll be the heathen that says - I still think Murder House is a better season than Asylum. Murder House was a self-contained story that feels like everything pays off. Asylum is good but there's a lot of stuff that just kinda happens for no damned reason - it's pulp, but fun pulp.
Coven is atrocious and Freak Show is just fuckin' boring.
So I think yeah, it's just sequentially getting worse as it goes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Ride this train right off the rails!

Seriously, we're all going to hope for another Aslyum and I bet you anything the first couple episodes establish a great atmosphere and then the show will proceed to unbuckle it's paints, squat down, and poo poo allllll over it.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'll be the heathen that says - I still think Murder House is a better season than Asylum. Murder House was a self-contained story that feels like everything pays off. Asylum is good but there's a lot of stuff that just kinda happens for no damned reason - it's pulp, but fun pulp.
Coven is atrocious and Freak Show is just fuckin' boring.
So I think yeah, it's just sequentially getting worse as it goes.

Murder House was fun, Aslyum suffered mostly from them going with an anti-climax ending that wasn't Satan Vs Aliens (Seriously, this was a huge disappointment). Neither season was perfect but both were fun.

Coven is a rare gem of a case study, a show fueled by cocaine and mad libs; it belongs along side the greats, like Heroes and Dexter's later seasons.

Then Freak Show.. Freak Show was a whole lot of absolutely nothing. It wasn't rambling and utterly incoherent like Coven, but also, it was a whole lot of nothing building to nothing outside of Dandy, the only good part of the season.

kaworu posted:

Nothing happens. Well, things happen, but there's no.. persistent build up to said things happening. It's not terrible. Coven will either piss you off or make you break down and just start laughing at how dumb it all is; I went with option B, but I have an odd appreciation for TV that was just the worst.

Well here's to Hotel being awesome. Hope springs eternal!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 22, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sweet summer child. The show is poo poo after season two. But it's poo poo that some people can enjoy.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
We can call it poo poo all we want, but we're the ones still circling around it every year like so many flies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

We can call it poo poo all we want, but we're the ones still circling around it every year like so many flies.

You don't understand! It might be good this year!

This is not a healthy relationship we have with Mr. Murphy.

Edit: It doesn't help that the trailers are always so good. They have nothing to do with the show, but they're SO GOOD.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 22, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So how much better will the intro be than the actual show this time around? I think Asylum still had the best intro.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll save you 13 hours.

BAD!

It compares favorably to S3!

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I agree that the two first seasons are stronger than the last two, but all four seasons really have many of the same strong and weak points. What I think was a big flaw that was apparent already in the two first seasons is that Ryan Murphy operates after the motto "more is more". Murder House almost got comical after a while, because it seemed like every time the family opened a drawer a new ghost popped out. They just lay in waiting until their backstory is told in a new episode, then suddenly they're out of hiding. Asylum also had this, with hereditary serial killers, aliens, nazi doctor experiments and satan possessions.
Coven was particularly bad in the "characters come in, but no one leaves" way. There were several deaths of main characters, but all of them were resurrected in the next episode.

Thing is, all the seasons also have some charm and strong points. The cast is amazing. The visuals are great, both in set design and cinematography. There are some really engaging plots and interesting characters, they just drown in between all the others, and the show rarely has a good resolution to the sub plots. There's wasted potential all around. Before Coven I was hyped that they had signed Kathy Bates. Before Freak Show I was really hyped about the potential of the setting and that they were doing a period piece again. I wish the writing team could have gotten some better management.

I'll probably watch Hotel, but I know it'll still have some of the same problems as previous seasons.

Nuebot posted:

I think Asylum still had the best intro.

I agree! I think it played up the creepiness and the sexual undertones of the series pretty well, and I like the puppet show theme.

kjetting fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 22, 2015

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

^I really love the shot of the spinning wheelchair moving from the background to foreground.

I think Murder House had the best plot, whilst Asylum was the 'scariest'.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
An American Horror Story season should just be 13 teasers so they don't have to bother with writing episodes. Instantly better quality.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Haha, thanks for the info, guys... It's a little sad to hear that Asylum was apparently the apex of the show, but it was also legitimately *really* good, and at least I'm not expecting the show to top it, really. Although, already I'm having a hard time sticking with Coven after a few episodes because... Well, it's just not really grabbing me in the same way and shaking me up. Doesn't feel as persistent or fresh as season 1 or 2.

I honestly watched season 2 in a single day and I never do that with shows; it was really exciting and intriguing and over-the-top and fresh and like nothing I've seen before. I really can't say I'm feeling that way at all about season 3, though. I kinda wish they hadn't blown the 'Hogwarts' aspect to smithereens in the first episode because it would almost be a better premise if that were the case as the show really seems best when there's some static location as a palpable personality in the series. The personality of the Murder House itself and the personality of the Asylum itself were both so great in their own way, and it doesn't feel like there's any comparable 'center' to season 3, and as a result it all feels a bit ungrounded and all over the place, and I'm not entirely sure what to feel about whom (and not in a good way).

At the same time, this really is *bad* TV in a lot of ways and even season 2 was kinda bad, but... I mean, you forgive those things when you get 1-off episodes with Al Swearengen in a Santa suit trying to sadistically rape and murder Jessica Lange in a nun's habit, and it was just "another thing" that happened in that one episode and probably not even the most hosed up or disturbing thing! So, if the show at least churns out stuff like that I'll likely stay entertained at the very least.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 23, 2015

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Can't wait til you get to the wrap up of the witch hunter storyline, what s humdinger or a rivalry that was.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking forward to next month.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching Scream Queens, I appreciate that fact that Le 'Chuk and Murphdawg have decided to give traditional narrative a strong, turgid middle finger. I'm looking forward to Hotel too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

While Asylum is the best season, I always recommend that people start with Murder House because of how it gradually introduces you to the insanity of the AHS universe.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

While Asylum is the best season, I always recommend that people start with Murder House because of how it gradually introduces you to the insanity of the AHS universe.

Same, also because if they start with Asylum it only goes down from there, whereas they'll start with Murder House, think it's awesome and then have an even better season to watch. I do tell them the third is goofy, fun, but not as good as the first two and the last is boring but alright to have on in the background while doing something else.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i couldn't find any thread for scream queen but anyway i watched it, because why not and i was bored

the dialogue is a little too on the nose (maybe like Glee? I never watched that but i'm told it's similar) and Emma Roberts has yet to grow on me as a lovably hateful character. which is a shame, because the obvious Final Girl is not very good and her performance is constantly overshadowed by Roberts and the rest of the ridiculous cast. Generally, almost decent and close to fun, but probably need to warm up to get it going.

I suspect there will be scenes of the writers showing their age though, like Roberts' character Chanel, a 20 year old, calling someone "White Mammy". the death of Ariana Grande as Chanel No 2 (lol) is funny but I can see "haha, today's youths are really into social media!" is going to be super played out

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i couldn't find any thread for scream queen but anyway i watched it, because why not and i was bored

the dialogue is a little too on the nose (maybe like Glee? I never watched that but i'm told it's similar) and Emma Roberts has yet to grow on me as a lovably hateful character. which is a shame, because the obvious Final Girl is not very good and her performance is constantly overshadowed by Roberts and the rest of the ridiculous cast. Generally, almost decent and close to fun, but probably need to warm up to get it going.

I suspect there will be scenes of the writers showing their age though, like Roberts' character Chanel, a 20 year old, calling someone "White Mammy". the death of Ariana Grande as Chanel No 2 (lol) is funny but I can see "haha, today's youths are really into social media!" is going to be super played out

I watched Scream Queens and I enjoyed it a lot. I liked Emma Roberts character more than the supposed main character of the show. Roberts is a complete self centered narcissistic bitch and I enjoyed her being just that. After watching every season of American Horror Story, I'm willing to put up with a lot of nonsense in this new show.

As for American Horror Story, I'm one of the few people who liked Coven and Murder House more than Asylum. Freak Show was O.K., but I thought it didn't live up to its potential. I'm hoping Hotel turns out better.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

kaworu posted:

Haha, thanks for the info, guys... It's a little sad to hear that Asylum was apparently the apex of the show, but it was also legitimately *really* good, and at least I'm not expecting the show to top it, really. Although, already I'm having a hard time sticking with Coven after a few episodes because... Well, it's just not really grabbing me in the same way and shaking me up. Doesn't feel as persistent or fresh as season 1 or 2.

I honestly watched season 2 in a single day and I never do that with shows; it was really exciting and intriguing and over-the-top and fresh and like nothing I've seen before. I really can't say I'm feeling that way at all about season 3, though. I kinda wish they hadn't blown the 'Hogwarts' aspect to smithereens in the first episode because it would almost be a better premise if that were the case as the show really seems best when there's some static location as a palpable personality in the series. The personality of the Murder House itself and the personality of the Asylum itself were both so great in their own way, and it doesn't feel like there's any comparable 'center' to season 3, and as a result it all feels a bit ungrounded and all over the place, and I'm not entirely sure what to feel about whom (and not in a good way).

At the same time, this really is *bad* TV in a lot of ways and even season 2 was kinda bad, but... I mean, you forgive those things when you get 1-off episodes with Al Swearengen in a Santa suit trying to sadistically rape and murder Jessica Lange in a nun's habit, and it was just "another thing" that happened in that one episode and probably not even the most hosed up or disturbing thing! So, if the show at least churns out stuff like that I'll likely stay entertained at the very least.

Coven is fun at times and has some good scenes but it's not remotely coherent and doesn't hit you with any of the emotional poignancy that Asylum and Murder House have at points. They did miss a lot of potential with the premise, it just got bogged down in supremely (:v:) stupid bullshit of which the ending is the worst. There was a Stevie Nicks cameo though I guess?

Freak Show has all of the same problems as Coven without any of the good scene-chewing, visuals, and gif-able one-liners the latter occasionally served up. It starts out promising but they kill off the best character (and imo one of the creepiest of all the seasons) a few episodes in and then nothing happens the rest of the season other than really dumb carnival drama. I guess since this was supposed to be Lange's last season they put a lot of focus on her character but none of it was terribly good or interesting. Possibly stupider conclusion than Coven, somehow.

Skip Freak Show imo, stick with Coven if you're enjoying it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Add one more person who enjoyed Scream Queens. As someone who wasn't a fan of Freakshow or Coven, this was very entertaining.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fright Idea

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Pellisworth posted:

It starts out promising but they kill off the best character (and imo one of the creepiest of all the seasons) a few episodes in and then nothing happens the rest of the season other than really dumb carnival drama.

What are you talking about, Dandy didn't die?

Pellisworth posted:

Coven is fun at times and has some good scenes but it's not remotely coherent and doesn't hit you with any of the emotional poignancy that Asylum and Murder House have at points. They did miss a lot of potential with the premise, it just got bogged down in supremely (:v:) stupid bullshit of which the ending is the worst. There was a Stevie Nicks cameo though I guess?

Freak Show has all of the same problems as Coven without any of the good scene-chewing, visuals, and gif-able one-liners the latter occasionally served up. It starts out promising but they kill off the best character (and imo one of the creepiest of all the seasons) a few episodes in and then nothing happens the rest of the season other than really dumb carnival drama. I guess since this was supposed to be Lange's last season they put a lot of focus on her character but none of it was terribly good or interesting. Possibly stupider conclusion than Coven, somehow.

Skip Freak Show imo, stick with Coven if you're enjoying it.

I still hold that the same strengths and the same problems are present in every season, the problems just show a little better in later seasons. Maybe because the scope gets bigger with a larger cast and more settings, and the writers lose control of it all. If there has been a theme for the entire series it's "wasted potential". The writing has always been the biggest problem of the show. It sometimes feels like watching a daytime soap, not because of the weird twists, but because it seems like every episode was written the day before shooting without concern for the story as a whole.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

As a quick aside, there's a Scream Queens thread created and open now on the TV IV that achingly needs viewers (much like the show) to stay alive for the first season, so if you want to state your opinion, maybe talk some more, please do go.

And my thoughts on Horror Story are that it goes from best to worst chronologically, like most Ryan Murphy shows. He shows restraint and seems like he has a plan, so season 1 is amazing. Then he's all giggly that it went stupendously and throws a bunch of plans and oddly, they work in somewhat of a hodgepodge, so season 2 is great. Then he's fixated on one thing: how GLORIOUS would it be to bring back The Coven, only chic-er, set in New Orleans, with new age magic vs voodoo? AMAZING! Let's do it. And bring the White Witch herself, Stevie Nicks on the show for added fabulosity. As for story... meh, the outfits and one-liners say it all. So season 3 ends up okay (except for new age Wicca, who LOVE this season and find it the best). As for season 4? Ugh. Just ugh.

I'm hoping for better, although with Gaga and Campbell, I'm honestly thinking he's getting all caught up in the fashion and drama of it all and there isn't going to be enough substance to care about the idiots dying.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The one part that I hope Hotel does not have is Gabourey Sidebe. She is a terrible actor and ruins scenes she is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I love this so much :cry:

• Locked thread