Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Eonwe posted:

You are being passive aggressive about an insanely bad game

There has been a ton of really undeserved thread making GBS threads. It's not like he's been misleading people about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Jimlit posted:

There has been a ton of really undeserved thread making GBS threads. It's not like he's been misleading people about the game.

This video game is legitimately terrible. It's a jagged mess of ugly design in an empty world with punishing restrictions and combat that feels like it would be at home in a PS1-era console game. On a MadCatz controller.

And somehow this is honestly fun as hell. I wasn't kidding when I said I was having more fun dying to PKs in this shitgame than I was playing FF14.

There are some seriously good bones to this game, which is shocking.

Use-based skill systems are great. Locking / unlocking / downranking skills is a lost art from the UO days that I appreciate seeing again (you only have so many points in a complete character, so while you can level anything any time, you can plan the ebb and flow of your character's progression by deliberately dropping points in Skill A so you can train Skill B momentarily in order to access Skill C to make a thing for you to go back to Skill A...). Skill points only count for primary skills, meaning you can max out all of the secondary skills on one character. So there's always a sense of progression.

Full loot systems - other than your starting bound weapon - are awesome. They provide a real sense of both danger AND meaninglessness in a good way. You don't tend to walk outside with what you can't afford to lose, and death feels real fuckin' personal. But because you get killed and looted over and over, you get used to it. You're not losing poo poo you spent nine months working towards; you're losing poo poo you should have made several copies of if you knew what you were doing. I found an Exceptional Mace on some corpse and it was like christmas. I put that poo poo in my bank, though, and there it shall stay until I figure out how to make one for myself.

You'll gain skill points from running, jumping, swimming, resting, dying (!), and watching other players (!!). Finding trainers is half the fun. I haven't left the starting areas. I've been PKed over a dozen times. I've blueblocked eight people and looted their poo poo when the guards whacked 'em. Easy come, easy go.

The game sucks and is bad but if you were around for the old UO, there's something really loving satisfying about it. I can't in good faith recommend this lovely game for anyone because it is terrible, but at least I had fun for a few hours. I'll probably log back in tonight.

I TYPED WORDS ABOUT A BAD GAME DURING A MEETING!

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
This is a 5 year old crappy game. It was much crappier 5 years ago. At that point it was epicly crappy. A serious contender for worst game of all time. Now it's just crappy so yes, it has gotten better.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Calidor posted:

This is a 5 year old crappy game. It was much crappier 5 years ago. At that point it was epicly crappy. A serious contender for worst game of all time. Now it's just crappy so yes, it has gotten better.

yeah, I'm not saying anyone should actually play this crappy game, just that it's more fun than most MMOs because I can train pigs to ankle-bite a quadruple grandmaster PK who is trying to kill me. and I can learn Pork Lore while doing it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimlit posted:

MMOs are bad, thread making GBS threads is going to happen

do you know how to keep a Games thread on topic with a minimum of this poo poo?

dont respond to it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
by the way its okay to like Mortal

I mean, I dont

but if you do thats good and cool

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
It's an SA thread about a MMOPEGER, I would be more concerned if you nerds weren't making GBS threads on it.

Telravin
Oct 15, 2008
The question is who is actually playing this, from goons anyway...
I'd like to start some ruckus.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The problem with games like this is it's basically pandering to trolls so it's a game of trolls trolling trolls. I prefer my MMOs to be a bit more nuanced in their mechanics so that way normal people play it too.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Telravin posted:

The question is who is actually playing this, from goons anyway...
I'd like to start some ruckus.

I'm playing, I tend migrate between sarducca and meduli with my MA. What are skilled as ?

Alexander DeLarge posted:

The problem with games like this is it's basically pandering to trolls so it's a game of trolls trolling trolls. I prefer my MMOs to be a bit more nuanced in their mechanics so that way normal people play it too.

I was going to give a Ernest example of the deep economy, but I realized it still involved me trying to corner the market on camels by systematically killing every camel, npc or tamed, in southern sarducca.

But yeah, this game rewards oppressing your fellow player at every level.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 15, 2015

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I'm playing, I'm currently hanging in MK. I'm training up my crafter to be able to make decent asym bows, and a tamer/mage/dom to get a steady supplyof horses, so that my main can basically go full Khan.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

SweetBro posted:

I'm playing, I'm currently hanging in MK. I'm training up my crafter to be able to make decent asym bows, and a tamer/mage/dom to get a steady supplyof horses, so that my main can basically go full Khan.

Bow crafting is awesome, a good 110 str bow recipie is crepite / greywood, 25% from the right.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If Star Vault took their Steam subscription fat stacks and spent them on a complete combat overhaul this could be an actually good game as opposed to just ironically good.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
If anyone can find the first (or one of the first) episodes of Gamebreaker TV they did like a 4 hour show where he logged into the game for the first time. It was epicly funny. This was years ago when the game actually launched.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Typical Pubbie posted:

If Star Vault took their Steam subscription fat stacks and spent them on a complete combat overhaul this could be an actually good game as opposed to just ironically good.

I'd be surprised if they were turning any kind of profit or if the risk of alienating the grognards with a combat overhaul was worth the risk.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
Do we have a guild?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Negative. We could start one if we could get a decent head count of how many goons are playing and all agree to move to somewhere.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Any goon that pays a sub for this should be drawn and quartered.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
I'm enjoying it actually. I like the levelling system and it's fun enough to give it a months subscription while I get more accustomed to the game. I'll see how it goes after that.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

SweetBro posted:

Negative. We could start one if we could get a decent head count of how many goons are playing and all agree to move to somewhere.

Yeah i'd be down for getting something going. As far as a location goes, I'd suggest sarducca main city since its relitively troll free.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
It would be better to start one now even with only a handful of members. Then at least it can go in the op. We're never going to get a Goonrush but it would help to keep everyone together and encourage people to try the game out.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Twisted Perspective posted:

It would be better to start one now even with only a handful of members. Then at least it can go in the op. We're never going to get a Goonrush but it would help to keep everyone together and encourage people to try the game out.

Yeah, for a guild we need a house and a guild stone (250g). What town are you guys currently in now?

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
I've been bumming around in Tindum or w/e, game definitely has issues but thats expected with the format they chose like Darkfall did.

Slapstick
Apr 17, 2008

The Interweb Iz Seriouz Business.
I've been skilling up a ma/ melee fighter. I'd move to Sarducca. Currently in either tin or mohki. Friend my char Lastdrop. Also have a tamer and bow maker

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Slapstick posted:

I've been skilling up a ma/ melee fighter. I'd move to Sarducca. Currently in either tin or mohki. Friend my char Lastdrop. Also have a tamer and bow maker

I'll add you tonight. Moving to sarducca would be a pro move at this point. There are almost no reds to deal with, and the economy pretty much needs everything. I've been making 60+ gold a day on bows alone in Beth jedda .

Before you make the move be sure to tame a pair of male and female desert horses to breed. It's the only mount ,outside of camels (which are horrible), that doesn't cave under the heat.

Slapstick
Apr 17, 2008

The Interweb Iz Seriouz Business.

Jimlit posted:

I'll add you tonight. Moving to sarducca would be a pro move at this point. There are almost no reds to deal with, and the economy pretty much needs everything. I've been making 60+ gold a day on bows alone in Beth jedda .

Before you make the move be sure to tame a pair of male and female desert horses to breed. It's the only mount ,outside of camels (which are horrible), that doesn't cave under the heat.

I have two deserts with 61 and 63 speed that I've started breeding only for this. I hear I can make a killing on donkeys if I can get them to the west aswell. It's just a matter of moving my 4 chars from tind.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I mean I still have an account from launch when they were like "oh btw we're downgrading from our actually pretty great beta engine and launching with an alpha state engine and never going back" but am I going to have to pay something to someone to reactivate? This was legitimately the only game that ever made me extremely, genuinely, uncontrollably mad about spending money on it.

But I always enjoyed the idea of first person UO so if I can freely rejoin I might check it out.

Degs fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 2, 2015

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Slapstick posted:

I have two deserts with 61 and 63 speed that I've started breeding only for this. I hear I can make a killing on donkeys if I can get them to the west aswell. It's just a matter of moving my 4 chars from tind.

Moving from tindrem would be pretty quick. Taking the west coast route to meduli then the bridge is only an 8- 10 min walk. If you want to shave off a bunch of time you can suicide immediately once you cross and hit the nearest preist button to go right to Beth jedda.

I'm not sure about donkeys I've heard reports of them being really slow in the heat.

Degs posted:

I mean I still have an account from launch when they were like "oh btw we're downgrading from our actually pretty great beta engine and launching with an alpha state engine and never going back" but am I going to have to pay something to someone to reactivate? This was legitimately the only game that ever made me extremely, genuinely, uncontrollably mad about spending money on it.

But I always enjoyed the idea of first person UO so if I can freely rejoin I might check it out.

You can still log in to your account, your skills will be capped at 60 till you sub though.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 2, 2015

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Took a break from Darkfall to play this a no-life amount of hours a day when it launched and it was a loving blast. A broken blast but it was cool. Tried it again every now and then since and the game is just utter trash, man. It will never ever be good and the pleasure of something new and the masses of players will never again be experienced. Now it will just be this dead game with a tiny population that has some weirdos that stick to it and kill off all the new players like darkfall or any other bad game.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
People are subconsciously masochistic. There's no other way to explain why people still pay money to play Darkfall.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Flavor Truck posted:

People are subconsciously masochistic. There's no other way to explain why people still pay money to play Darkfall.

The issue with darkfall was the majority of gameplay seemed geared towards loving over anyone who didn't own a city. Gear was made far too important and the barrier for entry on crafting decent stuff was huge.

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
What's a good side profession as a thief? The guide I read suggested taming but it was also from 2011.

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Did you all quit yet?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

happy cabbage posted:

What's a good side profession as a thief? The guide I read suggested taming but it was also from 2011.

Taming can be skill intensive if you want to do it properly and should be combined with magic skills for dominating. Do you mainly want to pick pocket or get into looting dungeons chests?

happy cabbage
Mar 1, 2008

Where did I put that sunscreen?
Pick pocket.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

happy cabbage posted:

Pick pocket.

I'd go with something like bowyer that's easy to train and gives a nice Dex boost. You could alternatively put points into each crafting skill just enough to get the titles so you look Like you belong at the tables and won't spook folks just standing by a station.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Not sure if anyone reads this thread but I picked up this lovely game. Met some pubs. Can someone tell me anything that is broken , besides the game, that I can use to my advantage like load lines and anything to break the game?

Chemical_Ali
Sep 30, 2005

War Criminal
How bad is this game right now and are goons playing it?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Chemical_Ali posted:

Well this thread is dead, I play a bit but less than I use to and they fixed a lot of bugs.... But.... Ya I like the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Chemical_Ali posted:

This is a 5.5 year old crappy game. It was much crappier 5.5 years ago. At that point it was epicly crappy. A serious contender for worst game of all time. Now it's just crappy so yes, it has gotten better.

• Locked thread