Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Sorry to hear about the layoff mutata. Hell, sorry for all 300 of those people.

I just got into Infinity right as it died. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
What we had planned for the future was gonna be good stuff too. Ah well, maybe the Mouse will roll the concepts into a 3rd party and they'll do it up right. Thanks for the words, everyone. I'm glad you guys liked it. Really, I am. It's really really nice to hear that it meant something to some people. :unsmith:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I guess it's for the best none of the in-development stuff has been shown off yet to media outlets for previews and what have you. If there's one thing fandom thrives on it's stuff that was in-development, shown off but never released. People can go on about it for years.

Though even without showing anything the team announced publicly like as late as March that there would still be content from all four Disney corners coming this year so I guess some people will still be wondering "What if?" for that stuff.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Marvel's twitter stuff was saying about a month back they had just recorded a video with the DI team for revealing some new Marvel content so we're never gonna see that i guess

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

mutata posted:

Ah well, maybe the Mouse will roll the concepts into a 3rd party and they'll do it up right. Thanks for the words, everyone.

Do you think Disney has already made an effort to sell off the rights to DI to a third party?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Do you think Disney has already made an effort to sell off the rights to DI to a third party?

I have no idea. I think they are burned out on trying to do the "all IPs in one game" thing, personally.

https://t.co/iD7QzFV61p Here's a final note I wrote on Facebook, mostly to the parents and kids who played our game.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That was a nice post Mutata.

It still seems so weird for a company to just up and not only walk away from that but immediately lock the doors like that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Meanwhile some anonymous source have started talking about stuff that will never be to Kotaku:

4.0 would have had a full (meaning Disney+Marvel+Star Wars?) cross-franchise story mode in the Toy Box and apparently twelve-inch figures that cost a pretty penny were being developed.

They overproduced characters like Hulk to the point they sold a million of them, but there's still around a million unsold Hulk figures still on shelves.

Also the way they talk about Yondu right after that Hulk anecdote makes it seem like his figure did the worst sales wise. Like, failed them more than any of the others. Poor guy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Meanwhile some anonymous source have started talking about stuff that will never be to Kotaku:

4.0 would have had a full (meaning Disney+Marvel+Star Wars?) cross-franchise story mode in the Toy Box and apparently twelve-inch figures that cost a pretty penny were being developed.

They overproduced characters like Hulk to the point they sold a million of them, but there's still around a million unsold Hulk figures still on shelves.

Also the way they talk about Yondu right after that Hulk anecdote makes it seem like his figure did the worst sales wise. Like, failed them more than any of the others. Poor guy.

I was baffled when they announced Yondu. People mention no Goofy, yet a D-list character like Yondu got made because he was in the movie. Especially weird when he gets made, but Scarlet Witch didn't.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rirse posted:

I was baffled when they announced Yondu. People mention no Goofy, yet a D-list character like Yondu got made because he was in the movie. Especially weird when he gets made, but Scarlet Witch didn't.

According to the article it seems like either they made a Yondu figure, or they wouldn't get to put any Guardians content in at all. A weird stipulation, I guess the people at Marvel could see before the movie came out he'd be pretty memorable, but they seemed to go overboard and outright demanded the Infinity team make a figure of him.

It'd be like if they had to include that random Stormtrooper that yells "Traitor!" as a figurine in 3.0 because the people making the movie knew he'd catch on and go viral on the internet before the film released.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rirse posted:

Wasn't no Scarlet Witch because of an insane mandate at the time to never produce toys of female superheroes, or am I getting two stories mixed up?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mycot posted:

Wasn't no Scarlet Witch because of an insane mandate at the time to never produce toys of female superheroes, or am I getting two stories mixed up?

Probably some part of that mandate leaking into what Marvel would let the team use, at least back then in 2013/2014.

Apparently Spider-Gwen was going to appear in "4.0", alongside Rogue One stuff and a Moana playset as well.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm not surprised they overproduced figures, it seems like a general problem for Toys To Life stuff except for early Amiibos and maybe Lego Dimensions? I still see tons of unsold Skylanders dating back to Giants on shelves everywhere at big discounts.

That story mode is what they should have had since day one though. It's a shame we won't see it now, it would have been fun to mix everything together like that. Have Luke Skywalker and Elsa join the Avengers and fight Davy Jones or whatever.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm not surprised they overproduced figures, it seems like a general problem for Toys To Life stuff except for early Amiibos and maybe Lego Dimensions? I still see tons of unsold Skylanders dating back to Giants on shelves everywhere at big discounts.

That story mode is what they should have had since day one though. It's a shame we won't see it now, it would have been fun to mix everything together like that. Have Luke Skywalker and Elsa join the Avengers and fight Davy Jones or whatever.

Yeah. That why I liked the Villains' Takeover a lot and why I kept it when I sold off a lot of the characters. It was a fun mode where you actually can mix characters into places they are not from. Like I rather like the part where I had Aladdin in the Deathstar, taking over a AT-ST and shooting stormtroopers.

Dunno how I would had feel about the 12 in figures through.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rirse posted:

Dunno how I would had feel about the 12 in figures through.

The thing about making a line of "For the serious collector" twelve-inch figures is odd because Skylanders already tried it around Trap Team two years ago by introducing a line of twenty-five dollar figures that were basically the same series one figures but with much better paint jobs and over-clocked stats. And they did super poorly in execution.

Since the Infinity line was said to be of popular characters who already had figures I assume they'd have probably met the same fate.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The thing about making a line of "For the serious collector" twelve-inch figures is odd because Skylanders already tried it around Trap Team two years ago by introducing a line of twenty-five dollar figures that were basically the same series one figures but with much better paint jobs and over-clocked stats. And they did super poorly in execution.

Since the Infinity line was said to be of popular characters who already had figures I assume they'd have probably met the same fate.

Is that the one in the fancy boxes? They have a ton of them at work and I not noticed a single one sold since I started working there in September.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rirse posted:

Did they ever make a Winter Soldier figure? It's weird as hell that there were two different Captain Americas but no Winter Soldier.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Eon's Elite Skylanders are weird because they're repaints of the original Skylanders roster, just sparkly. I picked up a few for my little sister last Christmas when they were reduced to $10 or so because they had 3x damage and health compared to the 'normal' Skylanders and she's bad at video games

I don't think DI would have pulled off bigger figures of existing characters well. But bigger figures of bigger characters would have been neat. General Grievous would have to be a premium, very large figure if he were ever made, for example. Doesn't sound like that was the idea though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

raditts posted:

Did they ever make a Winter Soldier figure? It's weird as hell that there were two different Captain Americas but no Winter Soldier.

No Bucky fig but he was a Team Up disc at least (along with War Machine and Captain Marvel).

They were going to announce another wave of Marvel characters this year and I imagine Bucky would have been a natural pick for that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rirse posted:

Is that the one in the fancy boxes? They have a ton of them at work and I not noticed a single one sold since I started working there in September.

Yup, and I guess a second series was already too far along because they released more across stores last fall. They lowered the price by five dollars to $19.99 but that seems to have done a good deal of nothing to get stock moving naturally. They probably only ever sell during sales and clearance events now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
:O

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Eon's Elite Skylanders are weird because they're repaints of the original Skylanders roster, just sparkly. I picked up a few for my little sister last Christmas when they were reduced to $10 or so because they had 3x damage and health compared to the 'normal' Skylanders and she's bad at video games

I don't think DI would have pulled off bigger figures of existing characters well. But bigger figures of bigger characters would have been neat. General Grievous would have to be a premium, very large figure if he were ever made, for example. Doesn't sound like that was the idea though.

Yeah that's the one never-will that's actually burning me, no Star Wars villains. :argh:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I would've loved a traitor stormtroopwr for the game.

What?! Is there something on my face?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

mycot posted:

Yeah that's the one never-will that's actually burning me, no Star Wars villains. :argh:

Well, we have Darth and Kylo, at least. Boba Fett kinda too...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So can you tell us anything about how the Finding Dory characters work Mutata? Or is that all NDA'd until release?

I'm just curious if they're like the Cars figures and super limited or if yall figured out how to make them work in things like Toybox Speedway and Toybox Takeover, hold weapons/items, ride horses, etc

And if they basically 'fly' around by swimming outside of the playset or how that works

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Um, I know that from early on the approach was "let's start by letting them do everything everyone else can do and then if it breaks we'll slowly walk that back"

In the Toybox they kinda "swim" just above the ground and have super high jumps. I forget if they can go into flying mode or not. As of like a month ago they can definitely drive cars and ride mounts and the like and yes it's as goofy as you're imagining it.

No idea if any of that has changed since then, so if it has I guess you can just get real mad at me or whatever. :)

mutata fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 14, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fish riding horses makes Disney Infinity a good game to the very end

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

It would have been awesome to get a Goofy before everything ended. No idea why the original Disney gang weren't some of the first figures.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Honestly surprised there wasn't a Mickey And Friends Playset in 1.0 with the whole gang from day one

But I guess they were being a bit protective and cautious early on... And probably later on too

RIP Goofy

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

Honestly surprised there wasn't a Mickey And Friends Playset in 1.0 with the whole gang from day one

But I guess they were being a bit protective and cautious early on... And probably later on too

RIP Goofy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XzlAwWkXQ

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kelp Plankton posted:

RIP Goofy

Apparently just getting approval for Mickey was a bitch and a half in 1.0. And even then it had to be (?) Wizard Mickey and not Mascot Mickey.

A big problem was always that there was a ton of contemporary stuff coming out in addition to whatever "House" they were pushing that year. So first year was Pixar, then you had Marvel, then Star Wars. The season after that would have looked like the best time to finally say "Alright now it's fukkin' Toon Town time" but even then they had to make way for another Pirates playset, a Moana one.

Even after coming off of years of seeing people debate if "Wasted Slots" for games like Smash Bros is a thing; seeing that the human kid from The Good Dinosaur got a figure but Goofy didn't almost makes me put stock in the concept.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Well with Infinity 3.0 I remember someone saying it came down to making Olaf or Darkwing Duck so they went with Olaf. Which is the right decision for financial reasons

But the wrong one for my hopes and dreams

At least we got those rad Tron characters

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to finish the 2.0 collection so I grabbed Maleficent (totally OP), Hawkeye, and Yondu. I think I'm missing another 5-6 and then I can move on to completing 3.0. I also need to pick up another Tinkerbell because my daughter snapped a wing off. I'm not sure why I care.

What's the consensus... Are figure prices going to go up or down?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Down for clearance and then up for rare figures as they run out over time. No more being produced so the well stocked ones will be easy to find but the rare stuff will just get more rare

Now is a good time to finish up whatever collections you want to have

And nobody will ever get that King Mickey disc now, zero chance of a reissue and zero chance of me getting one for less than like $300. I'm not hardcore enough to spend big bucks on that, I just wish they had made an easier to get version of that costume

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

Down for clearance and then up for rare figures as they run out over time. No more being produced so the well stocked ones will be easy to find but the rare stuff will just get more rare

Now is a good time to finish up whatever collections you want to have

And nobody will ever get that King Mickey disc now, zero chance of a reissue and zero chance of me getting one for less than like $300. I'm not hardcore enough to spend big bucks on that, I just wish they had made an easier to get version of that costume

Is the rarest character still Syndrome? When I was getting figures last year he was still in the 20s where everyone else can be found for below 10 unless it Violet or Ms Incredible.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's probably Francesco but that's because nobody cares about him

Syndrome is up there at like #2 probably, though I think Violet is pretty rare too

I'm not up on everyone's rarity because I don't care about them all (I want the Incredibles but the other 1.0 stuff is blah) but I think Francesco, Randall, Davy Jones, Syndrome, Violet, and Ms Incredible are generally the hardest to find overall. Sucks to be an Incredibles fan

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Gotta say this was such a disappointing end to such an interesting thing. Especially now knowing what the future had planned. Disney Infinity wasn't even allowed to really live

GenericMartini fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 15, 2016

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I've been thinking about trying to auction off my King Mickey disc for a children's charity of some sort. No idea how to go about setting that up and publicizing it though.

TRON characters are badass and very much the product of JV pushing things through, from what I've heard. Even those were digital-only at first, though. Continuous Pixar support was a given because Lasseter was almost the sole reason why the game was able to exist and a huge fan of Avalanche's. Bless him.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kelp Plankton posted:

RIP Goofy

I wouldn't call them overprotective considering these videos from their official YT channel. I absolutely adore all the new MM shorts. They're like slightly more family friendly Ren & Stimpy shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1-cL9NM6JY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ubNBxbLpZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVS7BLbbkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTnfkv3I_y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDhdMF0qZI8

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

How did I not know about those shorts? Those are awesome!

This one especially: https://youtu.be/_2WMLV1UeuM

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 15, 2016

• Locked thread