Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

mutata posted:

You're half-kidding, but there's no chance.
Yeah, I was exaggerating my thoughts on it quite a bit, I'm sure it was a constant fight to get anything through the layers of approval Disney would have in place. I don't envy having to be involved in that part of things, it sounds nightmarish. Still, I have to imagine that approval process might have been a bit lighter if the physical toy aspect wasn't part of it, adding more financial risk to each piece of the game.

Obviously I don't really think it was just a couple days work on each one, the design work, animation, and all of it were top-notch. (sorry if it sounded like I was saying I thought it was quick and easy work, that wasn't at all my intent) It just seems like cutting out the "Ok, now we also need to make and sell this as a toy in stores" part would have been a better way to go if they were worried about that aspect, rather than just giving up entirely on a still-profitable project.

It's just sad because this seemed to be the one toys-to-life game where that gimmick could disappear and the game itself was solid enough to stand alone. I hope the servers at least stay up for a decent amount of time, because my Niece and I play it together whenever I babysit, and it's easily the best game around for those occasions. We just picked the game up for the first time just a couple months before the announcement that it was being discontinued.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Gann Jerrod posted:

I don't think Disney is entirely wrong getting out while the getting is good. I'd be willing to bet that the bottom will fall out of the toys to life market within the next few years, due to oversaturation.

It's hard to say. Open the App Store in the last week and you'll see that Activision just launched a Skylanders collectible virtual card game...and of course it's Free-to-Play. THAT franchise is not only going strong, it's expanding beyond that kart racer one that had its own separate toys. (In a related note there's been annual FtP versions of Magic pumped out for multiple platforms for at least 4 or 5 years by now.) The fact that the WiiU is starting to prematurely enter its twilight era hasn't stopped the Amiibo train, Lego Dimensions was a hit, etc.

All that plus the fact that toys-to-life has never really existed like this before in the industry. Yeah, the music games of last gen faded and fizzled but that's not quite the same. This really is new territory. No, it hasn't changed the industry aside from retail having to alter shelf allocation, but it could turn out that it remains an established genre/product market with a presence that continues on into next gen.

Is it still oversaturation if there's enough consumer demand for continued profitability? Especially since a major player no longer wants to commit solely on unknown long-term risks...

Maybe Magpie
Mar 21, 2016

Stop! I have a license to post!

mutata posted:

You're half-kidding, but there's no chance. Every single character, whether attached to a toy or not, had to go through multiple levels of approvals for every stage of production including initial idea (in the form of a text list of desired characters), concept, blockin, sculpt, in-game model, animation, script, and voice acting. Approvals for days.

If you worked on the game, I just want to thank you guys for getting Sam and Quorra in. There's like no good tron merch so I snapped them up the minute they came out. I was part of the petition to get them made into actual figurines and I was very happy when disney made them physical and not just digital exclusives. Luv dat ISO :3:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Maybe Magpie posted:

If you worked on the game, I just want to thank you guys for getting Sam and Quorra in. There's like no good tron merch so I snapped them up the minute they came out. I was part of the petition to get them made into actual figurines and I was very happy when disney made them physical and not just digital exclusives. Luv dat ISO :3:

I had very little to do with the characters, but I believe most of the credit for the Tron toys goes to JV. I think he did a lot of pushing to get them done. However! As an artist early on in the Toybox, I was the one who made all of the Tron Legacy Toybox stuff at home on the weekends and weaseled it all into the game (which they made power discs for eventually).

https://www.artstation.com/artist/mutatedjellyfish More there.

I agree, though. I don't have a ton of Infinity toys on display (because I have full 1.0 and 3.0 collections and I have nowhere to display them all) but I DO have Sam and Quorra on my shelf here at my desk. They're both great.

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 2, 2016

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

mutata posted:

I DO have Sam and Quorra on my shelf here at my desk. They're both great.
I have Sam, haven't grabbed Quorra yet. I love me some Tron. For a bit we lived within a half hour of Disneyland and sprung for season passes, and I loved hanging out at the elecTRONica show when I got the chance. (which was then replaced by the Mad T-Party, and then something else)

Last week we picked up the Hatter figure, mainly just to complete a full set of three Johnny Depps.

Maybe Magpie
Mar 21, 2016

mutata posted:

I had very little to do with the characters, but I believe most of the credit for the Tron toys goes to JV. I think he did a lot of pushing to get them done. However! As an artist early on in the Toybox, I was the one who made all of the Tron Legacy Toybox stuff at home on the weekends and weaseled it all into the game (which they made power discs for eventually).

https://www.artstation.com/artist/mutatedjellyfish More there.

I agree, though. I don't have a ton of Infinity toys on display (because I have full 1.0 and 3.0 collections and I have nowhere to display them all) but I DO have Sam and Quorra on my shelf here at my desk. They're both great.

Yeah, I'm just frustrated because as an enormous tron dork with a few tron dork friends, WE'RE loving STARVED. We get no cool merch, the most recent content to come out for it is the D:I toys and Run/R (which is good and fun, don't get me wrong, but it's still a pretty small package, so to speak). The way Uprising got dicked over is super frustrating.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

A video went up a week or two ago from someone who did VFX stuff for the game of a playable Clu that looked cool but I can't find it now. So I guess more Tron was coming too.

Maybe Magpie
Mar 21, 2016

drat you, Waly Gisnep :arghfist::saddowns::arghfist:

You'd think a movie that pulled in like twice its budget would get a better shake from them but nooooooo, we can't have nice things.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

You think that's bad? The sequel was all ready to go, with the cast and director returning and a November 2015 start date for photography...and then when Tomorrowland bombed, Disney pulled the plug killed it. Why? Because the failure implied that "there's not an audience for futurist-tech-based adventure movies."

As a result, Bruce Boxleitner swore that he wouldn't return to the role ever again. And TRON himself was barely onscreen during Legacy!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't really have anywhere to show this off anymore except here. It's kinda a cool thing:

We all were given a Vader a few months ago but instead of the Lucas-mandated shiny helmet, he has the Avalanche-preferred matte finish helmet. He was only made and given to employees and is the only "employee exclusive" item we ever received. I had him signed by the lead character designer, the artist who sculpted him, our studio art director and our studio head. The lead character artist signed him on the back of the box too.

I think I just need JV to sign him and he'll be complete, but who knows if I'll ever see him again, heh.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe poor form to talk poorly of the dead, but...

MAN! I didn't agree when people talked about The Force Awakens being just a repeat of the first movie, but goddamn does the Force Awakens playset's first main sequence mirror the Rise Against the Empire playset... Walk around a desert town doing odd jobs until you get enough [currency] to purchase the Millennium Falcon and go off-world.

I'm not complaining too much, because Rey is loving badass and she's tearing poo poo up... I ended my last session after the escape sequence and I'm wondering if the rest of the play set gets more... unique?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

mutata posted:

I think I just need JV to sign him and he'll be complete

And what if, during your adventures, you run into George Lucas?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mutata posted:

I don't really have anywhere to show this off anymore except here. It's kinda a cool thing:

We all were given a Vader a few months ago but instead of the Lucas-mandated shiny helmet, he has the Avalanche-preferred matte finish helmet. He was only made and given to employees and is the only "employee exclusive" item we ever received. I had him signed by the lead character designer, the artist who sculpted him, our studio art director and our studio head. The lead character artist signed him on the back of the box too.

I think I just need JV to sign him and he'll be complete, but who knows if I'll ever see him again, heh.

Knowing Johnny V, he probably sign it and put Dave Lang's phone number under it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kelp Plankton posted:

A video went up a week or two ago from someone who did VFX stuff for the game of a playable Clu that looked cool but I can't find it now. So I guess more Tron was coming too.

i found it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYcmwGH8D8Q

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i still havent seen tron 2.0 or tomororwland am i part of the problem

i also cheape dout and bought Disney Infinity 2.0 playset for $11 and then Disney Infinity 3 digital on PS4 for $5 sorry mutata I definitely am part of the problem

but thats what you get for no Brer Rabbit :colbert:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I absolutely don't care about Infinity sales figures anymore, if you can imagine. Get dat firesale pricing, yo.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I'm so very glad that unlocks in DI have always been tied to a Disney account... My 2 year old was recently possessed by some sort of evil spirit and factory reset my Wii U. Thanks to the Disney account, everything I unlocked is still there, even though all of my game progress is wiped. Kudos!

It's really frustrating to see more Skylanders stuff and more Lego Dimensions stuff and more Amiibo stuff coming out of E3... I guess I understand Disney wanting to get out BEFORE the fall of toys to life, but goddamn... It seems like no one else is worried.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Skylanders underperformed, and I don't think LEGO Dimensions debuted as well as they wanted. I imagine they're a bit emboldened by our exit, though. Still, you'd be hard pressed to convince me to work on another T2L game again.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
On clearance, I picked up one of those snow-globe like bubbles Disney sold for keeping Infinity figures in for display. I'm babysitting my niece later this week... and she's been awful lately. Elsa is, possibly, the only thing she actually cares about in the world. So the Elsa figure is going into a bubble, to mock her from an unreachable shelf. Here, kid, you can use Tonto.

mutata posted:

Skylanders underperformed, and I don't think LEGO Dimensions debuted as well as they wanted. I imagine they're a bit emboldened by our exit, though. Still, you'd be hard pressed to convince me to work on another T2L game again.
Lego was, in theory, positioned to do the best out of any of them. They were already ruling the toy market, already had a line of wildly popular video games based on those toys, and already had marketing deals with various properties for making toys and games. So much of the groundwork was already done before they even started. If they're struggling to make it work, I'd imagine that anyone else working on a similar product would get worried about the viability of T2L. Of course, if Lego Dimensions did take off, then their competition would be worried about that too, because Lego tends to dominate.

I wonder if Disney has been approached by Lego, to roll Star Wars and Disney characters into Lego Dimensions for a 2017 update?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Power to them. Maybe fans will finally get their mashup? Lego has some kind of magic fairy dust that convinces IP holders to let them do whatever they want. We couldn't ever do it because games were always the unwanted redheaded stepchild of the Dis family.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

games were always the unwanted redheaded stepchild of the Dis family.

I remember back in the day the Aladdin and Lion King games did well. Was that merely luck? (Given I owned the PC port of Lion King, which had issues, I expect the answer is 'possibly'.)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If Dis licenses to the right companies and lets them do their thing, then you'll get good games. That's the potential great part about the licensing model. On the other hand, if they just go for lowest bidder devs, then that's what gets you licensed games circa 2000-2008. We'll see! I certainly have no idea what they have in mind anymore.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mutata posted:

Power to them. Maybe fans will finally get their mashup? Lego has some kind of magic fairy dust that convinces IP holders to let them do whatever they want. We couldn't ever do it because games were always the unwanted redheaded stepchild of the Dis family.

Money?

How is the jobhunt going?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

How is the jobhunt going?

Poorly so far, but that's hardly surprising. The hiring process in the industry is notoriously lengthy. Thanks for asking, though! :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mutata posted:

Poorly so far, but that's hardly surprising. The hiring process in the industry is notoriously lengthy. Thanks for asking, though! :)

Sucks man. Best of luck.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Benedict Cumberbatch concept.

Also I didn't know the premium figures concept got as far as potential designs being drawn up for them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They were pretty far along, actually.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
We picked up an Alice figure for cheap and I really like the way she plays. Shame about that Dr. Strange. I would have loved to play as him.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Also a shame that, cinematic quality aside, the movie was such a massive flop, since that means its figures will probably be a bust too. So one of the last aspect of Infinity's legacy will be tarnished. (Unless those Finding Dory figures made it to shelves? Apparently that's on track to do well this opening weekend.)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Agent Escalus posted:

Also a shame that, cinematic quality aside, the movie was such a massive flop, since that means its figures will probably be a bust too. So one of the last aspect of Infinity's legacy will be tarnished. (Unless those Finding Dory figures made it to shelves? Apparently that's on track to do well this opening weekend.)

Yeah the Finding Dory playset (with Dory figure) and the Nemo figure made it to shelves. Or will be making it to shelves shortly. They're the final DI releases

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah the Finding Dory playset (with Dory figure) and the Nemo figure made it to shelves. Or will be making it to shelves shortly. They're the final DI releases

I saw them at work today, so they are indeed out.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I guess just to bring it back home to how quickly this all happened, the E3 convention center didn't find anyone to take the booth space the DI booth was usually at this year? I don't know any of the logistics like if Disney still technically had the space in their name but opted (obviously) not to do anything with it or if they got a refund and there were just no other takers but, it is an odd sight to see.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Finding Dory is indeed out now! Go play my sewer pipe levels!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

mutata posted:

We just bought the Dory pack earlier today, Mrs. Hobo has been wanting that one since she first heard it was coming.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Yeah, my daughter picked up Nemo and Baloo yesterday. He's cute!

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

mutata posted:

Started playing it yesterday! It's super cute!

Hope you find another job easily mutata. Thanks for my fav power disc, the Kittens for Fists. What was your favourite thing to work on overall? Inside Out? Dory?

Meanwhile I'm putting all my stuff into storage and moving. Debating whether to grab the last few DI figures and have a full set.

Gotta get :
Obi Wan
Yoda
Rebels
Chewie
Zootopia
Baloo
Alice figures

Got all the rest from 3,2 and 1. I don't want to think about how much money I've spent in total.

(yeah, I am not a massive Star Wars fan, so I feel slightly to blame for this cancellation)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

Started playing it yesterday! It's super cute!

Hope you find another job easily mutata. Thanks for my fav power disc, the Kittens for Fists. What was your favourite thing to work on overall? Inside Out? Dory?

Thanks! :3:

I'm immensely proud of the work we did designing the Toybox and it's initial visual style. When I first started at Avalanche back on 1.0, the Toybox was called the RumpusRoom and was a glorified waiting room, but we and the TBX designers turned it into a monster.

Other than that, Inside Out was a big growing period for me and a project that I really plugged into creatively.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I bought the digital version of 3.0 but i'm totally lost as to what to do; this is my first Disney Infity game. All I have access to is the ToyBox I guess? How do I do story missions, or do I have to buy one of those playsets

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

So I bought the digital version of 3.0 but i'm totally lost as to what to do; this is my first Disney Infity game. All I have access to is the ToyBox I guess? How do I do story missions, or do I have to buy one of those playsets

Yup, you have to have playsets for the story stuff. There is a lot you can do in the Toy Box and a good amount of curated stuff through the community Toy Boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I've seen and held the Finding Dory figures. They look nice. I couldn't buy them as I was away and couldn't carry.

• Locked thread