Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Have they learned nothing from Chris Roberts?

Drink mixing machines aboard passenger ships is the future of spaceship games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I was waiting for someone to remake this thread since the last OP up and disappeared.

The alpha gameplay doesn't look that bad so far.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It looks like Space Marine with a slightly more complex melee system. Which is probably good, since if you didn't have a force hammer get hosed in the original. Still, who knows if it'll even come out of that alpha.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really just want Space Marine with dedicated servers please. Or 40k in the frostbite 2 engine or something.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Chomp8645 posted:

Have they learned nothing from Chris Roberts?

They learned that people will pay millions of dollars for nothing...

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're not allowed to get hyped about it, but rather amusingly they turned the thing Space Marines use to pull out organs into a melee weapon.

@1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF9Bl3IFuM8

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Orv posted:

You're not allowed to get hyped about it, but rather amusingly they turned the thing Space Marines use to pull out organs into a melee weapon.

@1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF9Bl3IFuM8

The Narthecium is used to extract geneseed from fallen space marines, it is not a melee weapon.

gently caress these guys.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

It looks like Space Marine with a slightly more complex melee system. Which is probably good, since if you didn't have a force hammer get hosed in the original. Still, who knows if it'll even come out of that alpha.

Chainsword was better buddy. You needed to up your game, the hammer was way to slow to compete.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 21, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Kimsemus posted:

The Narthecium is used to extract geneseed from fallen space marines, it is not a melee weapon.

Their heresy should be punished.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kimsemus posted:

I know, right? They couldn't even bother to pretend they were Exsanguinators!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kimsemus posted:

I don't know space nad snippers would need to be pretty durable and they'd have to be a pretty hardcore tool. I think you could swing something like that around and do damage.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Orv posted:

Thats pretty much it at this moment. 1 box canyon, 2 vehicles, 3 badly animated skins with some good particle physics and sound FX. Ovuer is actually pretty responsive to forum tells (SHC referencing gets you a hi). Devs and Ov plays with the alpha testers nightly so you can get a pretty consistent update/dialogue on the game progress and timeline just by listening in on the alpha server chatter. Patch cycles for alpha are on 6 day cycles. System testing is what the alpha is focused on and they have already done 1 melee revamp to show a steady improvement in both play and tabletop balancing. Walking up a ramp and gutting someone with a chainsaw sword have been steadily improving since last week with daily threaddumps/statistics harvesting to ensure the Q&A matches team build priorities.

bE may be a horrible bucket shop but they at least pretend to believe this game will be what launches the studio to "the big leagues". In this day & age of mega games and disposable code monkeys that can-do spirit is heart warming to see, esp. after the debacle of MWO and UbiSoft Quebec. Given that most of the employees up to the directors will play the game after pushing a build for 4 hours a night reminds me of EQ alpha in terms of passion for product.

Game has about a 20% chance of stillbirth at this stage, maybe I'll up that to 25% in November. Give it a try if you have 30 bux to spend, you basically get a concierge Space Marine at this stage.

(bE should pay me for this post).

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 29, 2015

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Space Marine had enjoyable combat but was ultimately too shallow and linear but good for a play if you can get it cheap. If EC is that with more depth and more options then I might start cautiously holding my breath.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I plunged for the super nerd level because I am a bad. Initial impression is that the game is promising but has some serious flaws with respect to controls, identifying enemies, and TTK.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I plunged for the super nerd level because I am a bad. Initial impression is that the game is promising but has some serious flaws with respect to controls, identifying enemies, and TTK.

What does the TTK compare to against other titles?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

What TTK.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kimsemus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRKL5Ge5Mk

Maybe Quake? It doesn't feel like you're a Space Marine.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRKL5Ge5Mk

Maybe Quake? It doesn't feel like you're a Space Marine.

That's pretty poorly tuned then. I don't really like games like Quake at all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Space Marine had just about every weapon a 0 TTK.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I thought this game was dead for sure actually, that video made me think it's maybe a chance it'll come out. Just barely...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hope is the substance of empty wallets.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Whales are the space marines of freemium gaming business plans.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Whales are the space marines of freemium gaming business plans.

Speaking of which, I made an Adult Decision and opted against Rock Band 4 in favor of this. I'm a stupid idiot please don't follow this example, but Space Marine Battlefield is not terrible.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Hope is the substance of empty wallets.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You don't get to talk Wildstar.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I thought this game was dead for sure actually, that video made me think it's maybe a chance it'll come out. Just barely...

They will keep scaling the game back until it's just 2 people playing pong with space marine sprites. And then it will come out in 2018.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Considering we already have 40k chess, that'll probably happen at some point. Probably a mobile game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is this thread going to get a proper OP considering a few goons have already stated the potential is there?

Orv
May 4, 2011
When it's playable without paying astonishingly stupid amounts of money.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This thread has the OP the game has earned.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Skoll posted:

Is this thread going to get a proper OP considering a few goons have already stated the potential is there?

You're joking, right?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

You're joking, right?

No, I'm not repeating that tired rear end space court joke you and your friends seem to think is so hilarious.

While this is probably going to fall short of being Planet Side 40k, just about everyone I know who has played the alpha said there is a lot of potential there.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Skoll posted:

No, I'm not repeating that tired rear end space court joke you and your friends seem to think is so hilarious.

While this is probably going to fall short of being Planet Side 40k, just about everyone I know who has played the alpha said there is a lot of potential there.

If you think the game is worth more effort, be the change you want to see in the forums.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skoll posted:

rude

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Skoll posted:

Man, you try way too hard.

Eternal Crusade isn't going to amount to poo poo. It's changed design visions a half dozen times, each one to justify a smaller game as money and interest dries up.

Bottom line is if this game comes out, it's going to be a super awkward UT4K clone, a lovely social map for Space Marine multiplayer, or just a laughably bad isometric shooter.

Also Planetside is one word.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Skoll posted:

So it wont hit this fairly low bar, but there is "a lot of potential there". Hmm

The game gets a better OP when someone who gives a poo poo enough to do it does it. Maybe you can guilt one of them into it?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kimsemus posted:

Man, you try way too hard.

Eternal Crusade isn't going to amount to poo poo. It's changed design visions a half dozen times, each one to justify a smaller game as money and interest dries up.

Bottom line is if this game comes out, it's going to be a super awkward UT4K clone, a lovely social map for Space Marine multiplayer, or just a laughably bad isometric shooter.

Also Planetside is one word.

Somebody got fuckin' mad.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Skoll posted:

It's not even trying to be Planetside 40k anymore man.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hi friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Skoll posted:

Read the last page of the last wildstar thread, look what happens if your the retard who has the thread closed so they can make a new OP ( but don't ).

• Locked thread