Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Uziduke posted:

I was told that warmachine was more of a competitive game and people play that to win.

It's more competitive in that winning is not a factor of who paid the most money. Some people take the lore way too seriously though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

randombattle posted:

It's more competitive in that winning is not a factor of who paid the most money. Some people take the lore way too seriously though.

Are you trying to say my army of tau mechs that can all stand in a fireline making it impossible for any of your units to move close is not playing the game properly?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which is pretty much just preordering the full game when it comes out.

Guess you already figured out that was wrong as the $40 patrons now have alpha access and you seem to be playing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dvsilverwing posted:

Guess you already figured out that was wrong as the $40 patrons now have alpha access and you seem to be playing.

Where are the screenshots?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Where are the screenshots?

Still under NDA? Unless you mean of him playing, in which case he literally said that he was playing it in a post.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I say post the screenshots anyway. Not like the dev knows who he is, or has the money or time to find out. They barely have the resources to make this new Space Marine multiplayer lobby.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dvsilverwing posted:

It's both. Now I have early access to it's Alpha and I have pre ordered the full game.

Anyway I don't want to break NDA. If only because the NDA for the game is a fight club reference. And I do hope the game eventually meets it's goals. (If only because I want to see Eldar, Orks, Space Marines, and Chaos slugging it out at the same time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

I say post the screenshots anyway. Not like the dev knows who he is, or has the money or time to find out. They barely have the resources to make this new Space Marine multiplayer lobby.

They do they watermark username thing and devs have the ability to track that down via Steam super fast. Whether they'd even find out isn't really worth the trouble of knowing.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Just go watch the last few stream things they posted, there's not much that's been added since then so you aren't missing anything really.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
New video got put out. Not much but looks neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf2DZ8fNehg

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this isnt really an mmo anymore is it, more of a battlefield cod clone?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If they manage to make this a larger scale Space Marine game I will be very happy. The new video definitely shows some progress and hope :shobon:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Online game developers rapidly find out it's almost physically impossible to make 64+ player per instance shooters unless your game name ends with side.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

MMOs are universally terrible so this isn't as bad of a thing as it sounds

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Color me shocked and amazed that this isn't vaporware. I'm not sure if free-to-play players being considered part of the ork mob was just a rumor or if that's actually going to be a part of the release, but even if the game is poo poo I'll probably end up giving them my money one way or another to be a warboss.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No clue if they're still committed to it but it definitely was not a rumor.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Per the site, Free-to-WAAAGH is still the proposed plan.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mods please change thread name to Tumblrhammer: Eternal Crusade.

Q&A Question posted:

2. So there seems to be a general consensus among the Chaos players (at least the ones that commented on the thread discussing it) that the name change of the Tactical to Traitor is... not ideal. I know you guys are busy with playtesting and whatnot, but I was wondering if you were willing to reopen the discussion of alternate names for our Tacticals? Sorry to beat a dead horse but Traitor is more than a little loyalist-centric.

I self-identify as a malfunctioning bolt pistol.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

I self-identify as a malfunctioning bolt pistol.

I am Stanley Pain's Burning Autism

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Every other game I've seen with chaos in just called them chaos marines.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

randombattle posted:

Every other game I've seen with chaos in just called them chaos marines.

It's what type of Chaos Marine. I would just call them Warriors, since that's what they're called in the TTG.

Space Marines
Tactical
Assault
Devastator
Apothecary

Chaos Space Marines
Warrior
Havok
Raptor
Sorcerer

Boom. Done.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Played some of this for the first time in months. It seems like all the 24/7 alpha autists are on SM and play Assault, ping ponging around murdering people with little to no effort. So, autism jetpacks instead of chariots.

That aside it's made some pretty cool progress to being a real video game, so if they don't suddenly collapse it should be alright.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh look, someone made a cool video of the game and it actually just shows how clusterfucky assaults are right now. Also it looks like garbage because ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhFs5_JBII

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN
Mommy why is that compression artifact hurting that man?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I just found out about this still being alive thanks to the Warhammer sale on steam. It looks like a bigger version of Space Marine's MP, any trip reports?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You should never buy Warhammer games early, they run the whole entire spectrum of quality from 'extremely good and fun' to 'well-intentioned mediocrity' all the way down to 'awful shovelware' and there's no way to know how good the final product will be, regardless of how much 'potential' they show.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The best thing about this being put on Steam is that Battlefleet Gothic was put up on the same day, cheaper, with a more accomplished developer working on it and more interesting things to do.

:orks101: gently caress you if you don't think Orks in space is interesting :orks:

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 27, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Is this game still going with the instanced PVP thing with basically a matchmaking lobby, didn't they scrap the whole open world concept?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

They hope to work they way back to an open world game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is this worth throwing money @ yet? Is the combat janky? Are jet pack dudes still broken? Is there actually a game to play?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Is this worth throwing money @ yet? Is the combat janky? Are jet pack dudes still broken? Is there actually a game to play?

The combat is functional when lag doesn't get you. The RPS melee system is even pretty good at solving a lot of the issues SM MP melee had. That said, there's nothing to really recommend it over SM MP right now. A few more weapons, new (bigger and more complex) maps, a new Fortification mode that could be really cool if they flesh it out, and vehicles that mostly get used like you'd expect from a Battlefield-alike, camping spawns and clowning people who can't fight back. It has potential, the lure of a SM MP Battlefield is a strong idea, but it's only the barest step past the original game right now. Eldar should probably be in somewhere in the next two or three months, and Orks who knows when, both of which will significantly (supposedly/hopefully) change the dynamic of just Space Marine vs Space Marine with more specialized roles per class and a focus on faster, more mobile gameplay for the Eldar; and tankier, more bruiser get in and punch style for the Orks.

TL;DR - if you're not scared by the price tag and a slightly larger scale SM MP sounds good, that's all it is now, but I wouldn't recommend it wholesale in any respect.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Hrmm... yeah I think I will hold off, especially for the price at the moment. Once they get Eldar and Warp Spiders in, it would be a buy for me. Teleport and shuriken spam :getin:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
When does the dress up game unlock?

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Oh look, someone made a cool video of the game and it actually just shows how clusterfucky assaults are right now. Also it looks like garbage because ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhFs5_JBII

Cool it's nice to be back in 2005

Orv
May 4, 2011
Believe it or not they were way worse a couple weeks ago. They're at least manageable now. Rolling as a non-assault gives you immunity to the stun from their slam, but that's not always reliable since they can do it three times.

Robo Reagan posted:

Cool it's nice to be back in 2005

Weirdly all of the videos that the team has tweeted about look like that when someone is playing assault. Whenever the action gets hectic the compression goes insane. I don't know enough about such things to guess at what it is.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

That ship set sail so long ago it's circumnavigated the globe

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Believe it or not they were way worse a couple weeks ago. They're at least manageable now. Rolling as a non-assault gives you immunity to the stun from their slam, but that's not always reliable since they can do it three times.

Weirdly all of the videos that the team has tweeted about look like that when someone is playing assault. Whenever the action gets hectic the compression goes insane. I don't know enough about such things to guess at what it is.

His computer isn't top of the line or whatever so when stuff is zooming around it's harder for the recording software to keep up

or he's a dumbfuck who didn't set things up properly

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bleusilences posted:

I still must say that I'm glad to see an MMO developer that's at least a bit grounded in reality and knows when to scale things back instead of promising the moon.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm pretty sure you can get the license to Warhammer if you just ask politely. There is now like 3 good Warhammer (including 40k) games and 20 awful ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get the license to Warhammer if you just ask politely. There is now like 3 good Warhammer (including 40k) games and 20 awful ones.

I have vermin tide and thus somewhat is the third good one

• Locked thread