Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

tonight is the best time to buy an iphone 6+ guys as they will never be worth more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef_BznBwktw

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

starry skies above posted:

Remember how epic Steve Jobs introduction of the Iphone was, and how Apple then ruined that event by having some fat slob of an executive from AT&T drone on for 30 minutes?

If this is a thing you actually remember you have no soul.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
my millionaire friend with weird hookups has already had the 6s+ for a while. it's big like a galaxy, but i don't like apple stuff do i really don't have much of an opinion on it other than that and the battery is apparently really nice?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

my millionaire friend with weird hookups has already had the 6s+ for a while. it's big like a galaxy, but i don't like apple stuff do i really don't have much of an opinion on it other than that and the battery is apparently really nice?

I thought they weren't doing any more +'s?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Here's an announcement: iPhones are overpriced crap and iOS is a garbage operating system.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Who here bought that 14k gold iwatch? why does everything have an i in front of it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Here's an announcement: iPhones are overpriced crap and iOS is a garbage operating system.

How can it be bad when Steve Jobs single handily created iOS and the iphone?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

etalian posted:

How can it be bad when Steve Jobs single handily created iOS and the iphone?
because steve jobs was a disgusting lunatic that got off on stealing ideas?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
reminder that the iphone was originally a laptop sized touchscreen tablet running osx, developed at the behest of jobs himself so he could check email while making GBS threads

and yet, we still don't have a touchscreen apple laptop with osx

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pisssssssssssssssssssssssssss

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

toggle posted:

why does everything have an i in front of it

Did you miss the advertising trend of the past 15 years where it's all about MY plan and MY way. "i" is just a slicker version of the same poo poo.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

fyodor posted:

Pisssssssssssssssssssssssssss

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

and yet, we still don't have a touchscreen apple laptop with osx

touchscreen laptops are loving retarded

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Lol, those guys are still around?

Whacky.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

symbolic posted:

the one thing i can give iphones is that they're loving durable. i've thrown mine against my car where it bounced off and landed screen-down on asphalt. no damage at all.

I repair iPhones and stuff for a living, and the 6 and 6+ are super fragile. I get more of those than all the previous models combined, and the metal bends super easy too. I usually wind up having to bend it back by hand to get the new screens on.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TVs Ian posted:

I repair iPhones and stuff for a living, and the 6 and 6+ are super fragile. I get more of those than all the previous models combined, and the metal bends super easy too. I usually wind up having to bend it back by hand to get the new screens on.
well this was the 3GS, so it was built like a brick

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I don't deny that but you better believe at the price apple charges it should do everything a windows laptop could possibly conceive of doing, and then more

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Now alone, Brennan was on welfare and cleaning houses to earn money. She would sometimes ask Jobs for money but he always refused. Brennan hid her pregnancy for as long as she could, living in a variety of homes, and continuing her work with Zen meditation. At the same time, according to Brennan, Jobs "started to seed people with the notion that I slept around and he was infertile, which meant that this could not be his child." A few weeks before she was due, Brennan was invited to have her baby at the All One Farm in Oregon and Brennan accepted the offer.[1]

At the age of 24, Brennan gave birth to her baby, Lisa Brennan on May 17, 1978.[1][5] Jobs initially did not come up for the birth. He eventually did so after he was contacted by Robert Friedland, their mutual friend and owner of the All One Farm. While distant, Jobs worked with her on a name for the baby, which they discussed sitting in the fields on a blanket. Brennan suggested the name "Lisa" which Jobs also liked and notes that Jobs was very attached to the name "Lisa" while he "was also publicly denying paternity." She would discover later that during this time, Jobs was preparing to unveil a new kind of computer that he wanted to give a female name (his first choice was "Claire" after St. Clare). She also states that she never gave him permission to use the baby's name for a computer and he hid the plans from her. Jobs also worked with his team to come up with the phrase, “Local Integrated Software Architecture" as an alternative explanation for the Apple Lisa[9] (decades later, however, Jobs admitted to his biographer Walter Isaacson that "obviously, it was named for my daughter"[10]).

Brennan did explore adoption both before and after Lisa's birth, but ultimately decided to keep Lisa and become a single parent. Once, while staying with friends in the Bay Area, Jobs stopped by to see her. Brennan states that they went for a walk when Jobs said to her, “I am really sorry. I’ll be back, this thing with Apple will be over when I’m about thirty. I am really, really sorry.”[1] Around the same time, she met with Kobun who distanced himself from her and did not fulfill his promise to help her once the baby was born.[1]

Brennan would come under intense criticism from Jobs who claimed that “she doesn’t want money, she just wants me.”[1] According to Brennan, Apple's Mike Scott wanted Jobs to give her money, while other Apple executives "advised him to ignore me or fight if I tried to go after a paternity settlement."[1] Brennan also notes that later, after Jobs was forced out of Apple, "he apologized many times over for this behavior. He said that he never took responsibility when he should have, and that he was sorry."[1] By this time, Jobs had developed a strong relationship with Lisa who wanted her name changed and Jobs agreed. So he had had her birth certificate changed and her name shifted from Lisa Brennan to Lisa Brennan-Jobs.[11]

When Lisa was still a baby and Jobs continued to deny paternity, a DNA test was given that established him as Lisa's father. It required him to give Brennan $385 a month in addition to returning the money she had received from welfare. Jobs gave her $500 a month at the time when Apple went public, and Jobs became a millionaire. Brennan worked as a waitress in Palo Alto. Later, Brennan agreed to give an interview with Michael Moritz for Time Magazine. It would be for its 1982 Time Person of the Year special (released on January 3, 1983). She also decided to be honest about what had happened between her and Jobs. The issue that resulted had a lifelong impact on Brennan. Rather than give Jobs the "Person of the Year" award, the issue was called "Machine of the Year: The Computer Moves In."[12] In the issue, Jobs questioned the reliability of the paternity test (which stated that the "probability of paternity for Jobs, Steven... is 94.1%").[13] Jobs responded by arguing that "28% of the male population of the United States could be the father."[1][13] Time also noted that "the baby girl and the machine on which Apple has placed so much hope for the future share the same name: Lisa."[13] After this issue, Brennan "didn’t pay much attention to Steve’s career again." [1]

Over the years, however, Brennan and Jobs developed a working relationship to co-parent Lisa, particularly after he was forced out of Apple. Brennan credits the change in him to the influence of his newly found biological sister, Mona Simpson, who worked to repair the relationship between Lisa and Jobs.[1]

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

Upsell the poo poo out of people with these. Mark them up 150% while you're at it, 'cause people basically self select for having more money than sense for even bringing the loving things in in the first place.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's the iWatch mini.
It's slightly smaller, and only 175% the price of the old one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

I lol at people who rush out to buy the first version of the product, it's always the worst, most problems and also the most expensive.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

etalian posted:

I lol at people who rush out to buy the first version of the product, it's always the worst, most problems and also the most expensive.

yeah the 6s should be good tho :smug: can't wait :smug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how new phones are getting ridiculously huge.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DiHK posted:

Did you miss the advertising trend of the past 15 years where it's all about MY plan and MY way. "i" is just a slicker version of the same poo poo.

iSee

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

etalian posted:

He said the 6 was just as guilty of it as the 6+. How is the like loving 12th iteration of a product the first?

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Apple is cool and good. They not only rip-off retards with their garbage overpriced products, they basically indoctrinate them into a cult. Pro-tier capitalism IMO.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boosted_C5 posted:

Apple is cool and good. They not only rip-off retards with their garbage overpriced products, they basically indoctrinate them into a cult. Pro-tier capitalism IMO.

It just like Zizek said on how companies get dumb liberals to feel good at much corporations richer.

But but it's a cool sustainable environmentally conscious company

Mooktastical posted:

He said the 6 was just as guilty of it as the 6+. How is the like loving 12th iteration of a product the first?

Because it the 6 is a pretty big form factor change over the previous versions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Boosted_C5 posted:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

olaf2022 posted:

IT WILL CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT EVERYTHING

man new simpsons sucks robot cock

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

funny

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

so much hate, man

relax and chill out

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:captainpop:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I don't deny that but you better believe at the price apple charges it should do everything a windows laptop could possibly conceive of doing, and then more

the myth of apple being expensive is really hosed. iPhones cost the same as Galaxy phones and the Macbook Air is cheaper than almost every other ultrabook on the market and has build quality leagues above everything in its price range.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

I really wonder how much longer they (and every other smartphone manufacturer) are going to be able to get away with adding 0 new features while increasing meaningless numbers on a spec sheet by 5% a year. I really don't get how their business model pans out in a world where the market is fully saturated, but I'm sure I'll be eating my words come tomorrow.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mooktastical posted:

I really wonder how much longer they (and every other smartphone manufacturer) are going to be able to get away with adding 0 new features while increasing meaningless numbers on a spec sheet by 5% a year. I really don't get how their business model pans out in a world where the market is fully saturated, but I'm sure I'll be eating my words come tomorrow.

Because they have a brand and big a profit margin on each iphone sold before you get into extra bullshit such as extended warranty plans.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

i too am getting a 6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Apple build quality is poo poo.

Also their products constantly malfunction and OH GREAT ANOTHER RELATIVE IS ASKING ME TO FIX THEIR STUPID loving I-PHONE OR MACBOOK.

Apple's core customer is either (a) a dumb hipster millenial, or (b) your dumb old relative who posts chain e-mails on facebook.

Old people LOVE their crap.

• Locked thread