Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is the poo poo-talking and beer-crying-into thread for the "I Paid What For Who?" dynasty league.

Recruitment for this league is currently CLOSED. But please feel free to post if you are interested in being on the waiting list, just in case someone drops out. Note that this is a paid league: currently, dues are $25 per year.

The league is here on ESPN.

Here are your 2015 league participants:
pre:
Division	Team #	Shortname	Team Name			SA Username
Division 1	5	TARD		First Down Syndrome		Spermy Smurf
Division 1	7	WHO		Who Da Titoons?			Metapod
Division 1	8	GOON		Percy Riot			kazak_Hstan
Division 1	9	GC		Gridiron Chefs			Chen Kenichi
Division 2	2	MCLE		Team McLean			Atomictyler
Division 2	4	LOIS		Former Kicker Ray Finkle	Gyshall
Division 2	6	ZACK		Awesome Cougars			The Zack
Division 2	12	YAKS		Team Yakscoe			Swarmin Swedes
Division 3	1	CC		Concord Concordes		Leperflesh
Division 3	3	1017		1017 BRICK SQUAD		Stevie Lee
Division 3	10	💩		Placeholder Team Name		Bloody
Division 3	11	HHX		Hawk Hunters			Hixalot
The league's rules are Here.
The league's spreadsheets are here.

Your Commissioners are Leperflesh, Hixalot, and Spermy Smurf. Your Treasurer is Leperflesh.

Please use this thread to talk poo poo, discuss rules, complain, cry, ask questions, comment on matches, and so on. If you have a problem, you can post it here, OR you can chat with any Commissioner about it, privately if you wish. It's better to speak up as soon as you think there might be an issue.

Good luck and have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Division 1's name should be JPP's lost finger

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
lets do this, shitlords

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty annoyed with myself as far as the draft went. I told myself going in "people are gonna overpay up front, don't get caught up in the bidding, just let it go." But then I paid $46 for Bell, because my sheet put him at a $60 value. And I paid $31 for Mike Evans, because he's 22 years old and my sheet put him at $32 value. And I paid $43 for Lamar Miller, because he's 24 years old, and my sheet put him at $33 value. And then I paid $22 for Randall Cobb, who is 25 years old, and a $43 value by my sheet.

Any of those buys, I'd be happy with. Especially Cobb. But all four... it was too much. I wound up short when it came to depth. I didn't even need to save that much money: cutting back by any one of those four players would have left me in position to bid $2 and $3 and $4 on the depth guys I had my eye on.

$10 was way too much for Greg Olsen, too, even though he's probably the #2 TE.

Some comments on how the IDP went:

Linebackers:
$12 for Lavonte David was fine. $22 for Kuechly is nuts. Bobby Wagner is just as good and he went for $3! C.J. Mosley went for $7 which is fair. Navarro Bowman went for $2, which is an insane bargain.

Remember, these LBs are usually the best guys to slot into the flex D position in addition to your LB slot, so you usually want to roster three. I outbid one of the earliest LB bids on Sean Lee, for $2, which I was reasonably pleased with... but if I'd known I could have gotten Bowman for $3 or Wagner for $4, I'd easily have done that instead.

DBs:
Morgan Burnett is my top DB, and he went for $4, which is an excellent bargain. I paid $3 for Reshad Jones, my #2 DB pick. Harrison Smith went for $6! I'd put him at #3, so either that's overpaying, or both Burnett and Jones were major bargains. Eric Weddle was also $3.

DLs:
JJ Watt went for $27, which is quite reasonable considering how massively ahead of all other IDP players he is. I would have paid probably $30, if I'd still had the money. Robert Quinn went for $8, and Chandler Jones went for $7, so you can see a decent progression there. Calais Campbell was only $2, though, and that's a steal. On the other hand, he's 29 years old, so maybe he's not as attractive as the younger guys. Behind him is Carlos Dunlap, who went for $4, but is only 26.

There were definitely a few homer picks and reaches, but once you get deeper into the IDP rankings, it can be very tough to call them. Especially given our scoring isn't typical (although there isn't really a "typical" scoring for IDP). I anticipate a fair amount of WW activity after week 1, when we start seeing how the scoring goes. Right now, ESPN has no projections for IDP players.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

but if I'd known I could have gotten Bowman for $3 or Wagner for $4, I'd easily have done that instead.

I wanted both so badly but couldn't afford them :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've put up spreadsheets for each team, to track salaries. Find your team's tab on the bottom of the spreadsheet to check it out!

I still need to put in the logic to handle IR players. I already put Daniel Herron onto IR on my team, for example. Remember, players on IR apply 50% of their value to the team's salary cap.

For all other money-logic, we round to the nearest dollar. Do you guys think IR players should do that too? Or, should it be the case that (say) you have 2 players on IR, and each of them cost you $1, so they now each cost you $0.50, or a total of $1 for the both of them?

Seems better than having weird remainder-dollars for injured players' cap space.

Please check your team, let me know if there are any errors. I will add rows whenever a transaction takes place. The FAABed, Traded, and Dropped columns are intended to take dates; the player and their salary always go in columns A and B.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Pretty happy with my team. Work called at last minute, but I had put in values for auto draft as a backup. For the first time ever it worked. Did exactly what I wanted - avoid any big ticket superstars, get promising young cheap players (hopefully) a year early. Team is moderately competitive this year but likely doesn't compete for a championship, but hopefully a solid foundation. I didn't spend all $200, which sucks, could have squeezed some better value out of the draft, but very much better than I expected. Way happier than if the computer had sunk $120 into three players or something.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Divisions should be "What?" and "Who?"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

There don't seem to even be projections for the IDP Players which will certainly plague me with roster uncertainty for the rest of forever. I had absolutely no intention of going rb-heavy but here I am with Hill and Lacy and a bunch of chaff. Spent the entire draft panicking - panic over-bid picking early, then saying gently caress I'm gonna need money later, then scooping up every single player for $2. I spent $2 on 8 different players and $3 on 5 more.

Auction drafts are so insanely cool though. I feel like there's so much room for trading now. I have four linebackers and I'd bet at least some of them are good if anybody's thirsty.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I still don't get the Keuchly hate. Dude is 24 and will pull in 220-230 points per year for me. You had no problem paying double that for Lamar Miller who won't put up that many points. :shrug:

Also I look at my team now and think I must have been far drunker than I thought. But bidding on guys is just so much fun I couldn't stop myself :(

About IR: If a guy is suspended can I throw him on there? Is it an "If ESPN will let me I am allowed to do it" sort of thing?

Edit: Oh god I want to get on the Clowney train so loving hard but I expect him to get a dozen snaps at most on Sunday.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 9, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Before I do something regrettable, I want to make sure I understand things good. Julius Thomas is apparently IR-eligible due to his broken finger, but he'll likely be back in the second half of the season. If I move him to an IR slot on my team, will I be able to move him back to the active roster in the back half of the season? Or is our IR season-ending/non-return-eligible?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
holy gently caress my team is bad

what the gently caress was i doing last night

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

at least your $51 towards QBs got you two instead of one

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i have 5 pending waiver transactions

they don't process until saturday right?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

I still don't get the Keuchly hate. Dude is 24 and will pull in 220-230 points per year for me. You had no problem paying double that for Lamar Miller who won't put up that many points. :shrug:

I do have a problem with Miller going 40+

Stevie Lee posted:

holy gently caress my team is bad

Heavily drinking

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

Entertaining everyone!

Also: I have to drop a dude in order to process waivers to get a dude to put on my IR. Right? Then pick up the dude I dropped again to fill my bench slot?

Is there a way to grab a dude off waivers direct to the IR slot? Because otherwise I'm double-paying for dudes that I already bought in the draft right?

Edit: I say dude a lot. Deal with it.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 9, 2015

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Also: I have to drop a dude in order to process waivers to get a dude to put on my IR. Right? Then pick up the dude I dropped again to fill my bench slot?

kelvin benjamin aint comin cheap dude

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
ANSWER THE QUESTION BECAUSE I HAVE $99 MONEY AND NO BENJI.

but if I have to drop a dude, pick up Benji, then pick up the guy I dropped... then I only have $93 for Kelvin.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my only draft regret is not getting kelvin for two dollars

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
um

waivers processed

i got kelvin

for too much

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol we all forgot about benji

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i have 2 IRed receivers and nobody to start this year lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Stevie Lee posted:

um

waivers processed

i got kelvin

for too much

Lol how much

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
$18

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Zack posted:

Divisions should be "What?" and "Who?"

We have three divisions...

Spermy Smurf posted:

It's about positional scarcity. Keuchly is fantastic, but he's not massively better than C.J. Mosley or Bobby Wagner or Navorrow Bowman or DeAndre Levy or Paul Posluszny or Sean Lee or Jamie Collins or Paul Worrilow... etc. etc. It's a different situation than JJ Watt, who has just a huge gap over the next DL on the list.

I targeted Lamar Miller because not only is he in a good situation this year, he's only 24. But I probably did overpay for him. I panicked because all the top RBs were disappearing very quickly, and he was on my short list of young, talented RBs in situations where they're the clear bell cow. Other guys on my list were Jeremy Hill, C.J. Anderson, and LeVeon Bell. I got Bell, but got consistently and rapidly outbid on everyone.

In hindsight, I should have let someone else overpay for him and gone with a guy like Abdullah (who went for $20) or Hyde (who went for $26).

quote:

About IR: If a guy is suspended can I throw him on there? Is it an "If ESPN will let me I am allowed to do it" sort of thing?

I don't know if ESPN will allow it, but no: by our rules, IR is strictly for players who have been placed on the NFL's Injured Reserve list. Note that this is different from the PUP list. See: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/pup for a complete list... players marked IR can go on the IR, players marked PUP can't.

We can of course change our league rules. At this point, that requires more formal deliberation and voting, because it could be to some owners' advantage.

Bloody posted:

Before I do something regrettable, I want to make sure I understand things good. Julius Thomas is apparently IR-eligible due to his broken finger, but he'll likely be back in the second half of the season. If I move him to an IR slot on my team, will I be able to move him back to the active roster in the back half of the season? Or is our IR season-ending/non-return-eligible?

By our rules, you can put someone on or off IR at any time. Remember that being on IR saves you half of their salary cap, and frees up a bench slot. Bringing someone off IR prematurely doesn't really help you any, so I think typically you'd leave someone on IR as long as you can. However, as soon as the player is taken off the NFL IR list, you must move them to your roster, which may force you to drop a player in order to make space on your bench.

Right now, Julius Thomas hasn't been placed on IR. He's still just listed as OUT for the next game. The latest news is that his surgery may make him miss "up to a month" which implies the Jags are likely to not place him on IR - which would lose him half the season.

Again, though, we can change the rules, if you guys feel strongly that players not on official IR, but still injured, should be eligible for the IR slots.

Stevie Lee posted:

i have 5 pending waiver transactions

they don't process until saturday right?

Waivers are currently set to process on Wednesdays and Saturdays, at 11 AM EST.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Is there a way to grab a dude off waivers direct to the IR slot? Because otherwise I'm double-paying for dudes that I already bought in the draft right?

Honestly I'm not sure how ESPN handles it. By league rules, you are permitted to pick a guy up directly to Injured Reserve, but I don't know if ESPN actually allows that. We may have to experiment to find out, because the documentation is nonexistent.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

We have three divisions...

:doh: That's the second time I've made that mistake.

Who, What and Why?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, obviously Who's on First Division, and What is on 2nd. But I believe third would be "I Don't Know."

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Honestly I'm not sure how ESPN handles it. By league rules, you are permitted to pick a guy up directly to Injured Reserve, but I don't know if ESPN actually allows that. We may have to experiment to find out, because the documentation is nonexistent.

This does not work. I have to drop someone from my bench to do it. I haven't yet because I'm unsure what the process was/will be. And then I have to re-draft the guy I just had for a few bucks.

So what do we do? Changing the league rules to not allow it would be a lot easier since ESPN is already coded that way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You're right. ESPN says you can only put a player on or take a player off of IR, from your bench.

By our league rules, you can put someone directly on IR, and in doing so, avoid busting your salary cap. I feel like (since we're tracking cap manually) this is still OK. But ESPN is going to force you to free up a bench slot in order to grab an already-injured player to place on your IR.

So: I propose to update the League Rules to clarify that, while you may avoid busting your cap with a player who, before you acquire them, is already IR-eligible, by acquiring them and then immediately placing them into one of your IR slots... you still have to have a regular bench slot open in order to acquire any player.

I also propose to update the League Rules to clarify that only players explicitly on the NFL's Injured Reserve are eligible for your IR slots. I believe ESPN enforces this, but I haven't tested it.

Let's discuss and deliberate, and then I'll put it up to a vote when discussion seems to be done.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
I would be in favor of modifying league rules to closer match what is in place with ESPN coding. It will make things simpler. That'd be two changes if I've been reading these last few posts right:
1) players may not be picked up directly to IR
2) players may be placed on IR if ESPN allows it (I think but would have to experiment this includes "O" and "SSPD") but must be removed if no longer eligible.

As far as post draft team analysis, I'm fairly happy with my roster, but a bit heavy on the young guys that should be better next year than this year. I think my defense is good enough to make up for some of the short comings though.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
ESPN does not allow you to put SSPD players on the IR. Only O and designated IR players can go there which is how it should (and does) work in my opinion.

I'd be cool with just updating our rules to say "Need a free slot to pick up any player" since that's how ESPN is coded.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm fine with rule adjustments that allow us to more easily integrate with ESPN's capabilities in general but also agree that the resulting line item changes should be put to vote just so everyone's clear about it

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Spermy Smurf posted:

ESPN does not allow you to put SSPD players on the IR. Only O and designated IR players can go there which is how it should (and does) work in my opinion.

I'd be cool with just updating our rules to say "Need a free slot to pick up any player" since that's how ESPN is coded.

You're right. Sorry, confused it with CBS. Your wording is simpler, I like it!

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Bloody posted:

at least your $51 towards QBs got you two instead of one

Still don't regret it one bit! Probably could have gotten him $10 cheaper if not for the straight bid of 50 which was a wtf, but I took a one time outbid shot and it stuck. And then got Big Rape for $7 heh

Also as an aside JJ Watt for $27 was one of the steals of the draft if he performs anywhere near last year. 5th in overall pts by last year's stats, and 19 of the top 50 were QBs so although Luck at $51 was a huge overbid by relative value, Watt was value++. Flip around the dollars and it would be more correct IMO, but whatever I am happy with how it went. Only regret is not going for a couple of the higher end WRs a bit harder to be more competitive this year.

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 10, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Julio + Dez + Green = :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can confirm that ESPN allows players designated "Out" onto the IR list (I see Arian Foster on the Gridiron Chefs has been moved to their IR list). I'm OK with updating the rules to allow it, assuming the league votes that way.

In the meantime, I've updated the spreadsheets for all teams with the latest transactions. It's now also calculating salary cap hits for IR players without rounding to the nearest dollar. I think that makes the most sense, but I could change it if anyone objects.

Annoyingly, there are no notifications when owners move players to or from IR. Consequently, I'd like you all to please let me know when you move players on or off IR. It's not a big deal if you forget, as long as your move doesn't cause you to exceed the salary cap, but I probably won't notice all of these moves if you don't announce them.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Annoyingly, there are no notifications when owners move players to or from IR. Consequently, I'd like you all to please let me know when you move players on or off IR. It's not a big deal if you forget, as long as your move doesn't cause you to exceed the salary cap, but I probably won't notice all of these moves if you don't announce them.

I have both Kevin White & Kelvin Benjamin on IR.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I caught everyone's IR moves before I posted, by checking all the team rosters. Thanks though.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
I am kinda unaffected by whether Foster is on IR or not so if keeping him 'active' helps anything I will do that swap without issue. This really only affects grabbing someone off the wire in a replacement move that has to go (well somebody anyway) once the IR player becomes active again.

I guess the question becomes do we treat IR strictly in line with NFL rules or toward fantasy-like rules where players who are 'OUT' for weeks but expected to return and not put on IR can get placed on IR to allow a depth move - something we really do not need with our roster size, but it IS another bench spot to stash someone for a couple of weeks and see if that person is worth long term consideration over someone else.

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Football!