Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Monk posted:

I cut that from Santorum family pick when he announced he was running for president. Which makes it even weirder. That is one hosed up tortured family.

I knew the picture immediately but it's such a rich tapestry of weird that I never noticed the doll before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
maybe they should be amish or something if they like it so much

and stop blogging about it on their magic devil machines

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
its a cool idea as a history thing i quite like those tv shows where people go and live as a 13th century peasant for a month or whatever

generally they make a point of saying it sucks though because it does, you can tell because nobody chooses to do live like that anymore (apart from hipster one upsmanship)

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
That seems like such a pain in the rear end to get dressed for every morning.

Also vox is terrible.

quote:

Very few people actually watch those resources decreasing as they use them. It's impossible to watch fuel disappearing when it's burned in a power plant hundreds of miles away, and convenient to forget there's a connection. When we use resources through technology that has to be tended, we're far more careful about how we use them.

They made an ok point here but it's surrounded by bizarre hipster bragging.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
luddites are hilarious to me

enjoy your lovely rickety house or whatever when I'm getting cybernetic limbs installed in 20-30 years ASSHOLES

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I wouldn't be surprised if kerosene burning ends up being MORE wasteful, because you need to use it throughout the entire year (at least every night) and it's really not that efficient at heating a house. You would need a fireplace burning in every major room, which is what they used to do, but there's no way in hell that's less pollution/natural resources than modern heating.

TheTremendous
Jan 4, 2013
im a confirmed bachelor

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if kerosene burning ends up being MORE wasteful, because you need to use it throughout the entire year (at least every night) and it's really not that efficient at heating a house. You would need a fireplace burning in every major room, which is what they used to do, but there's no way in hell that's less pollution than modern heating.

Yeah I can't imagine burning kerosene lamps are more efficient than a power plant, not to mention kerosene is sold in small quantities everywhere whereas a train just rolls right up to the power plant. It's just a little reminder to not take things for granted.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
this is gay as hell

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
lol at them saying they get hate mail. Who is actually bothering to send them hate mail? Are they lowering property values or are people just loving with them? Do you think they would react better if the hate mail was phrased in a way they enjoyed?

Dear Sir,
I can not in good faith send any well wishes. Your wife is the lowest kind of woman, devoid of the gifts that a benevolent God grants on the fairer sex. A strong jaw and willfulness do not a beauty make. It is with greatest pleasure that I acknowledge her use of other gentlemen in the boudoir to make a cuckold of you as is appropriate. I hope consumption takes you both to the bosom of the Lord.

Yours Very Truly,
poorlifedecision

PS I have acquired from a mystic from far East India, a crystal of great import. It glows when I charge it with mystical life energy, but only when myself and another gentleman do work in tandem manipulating our genitals in proximity to the crystal. Write back if you are interested in meeting regarding the aforementioned crystal.

PPS I am a gentleman who enjoys the company of other gentlemen.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Shouldn't they be using whale oil? loving posers.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

TheTremendous posted:

im a confirmed bachelor

I am similarly disposed.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

poorlifedecision posted:

PS I have acquired from a mystic from far East India, a crystal of great import. It glows when I charge it with mystical life energy, but only when myself and another gentleman do work in tandem manipulating our genitals in proximity to the crystal. Write back if you are interested in meeting regarding the aforementioned crystal.

PPS I am a gentleman who enjoys the company of other gentlemen.

Dear Sir!

You may be interested to know I have obtained the most marvelous miniature reproduction of the steam-actuated transportation modality that is moving us into the future as of this writing! If you wish to witness this astounding fascination for yourself please inquire at the below address!

PS

Gentlemen only!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

dougdrums posted:

That seems like such a pain in the rear end to get dressed for every morning.

Also vox is terrible.

They made an ok point here but it's surrounded by bizarre hipster bragging.

Yeah, it's interesting but they're very obnoxious. It reads like Gwyneth Paltrow's food blog

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMDCZYjP4n4

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

XMNN posted:

its a cool idea as a history thing i quite like those tv shows where people go and live as a 13th century peasant for a month or whatever

generally they make a point of saying it sucks though because it does, you can tell because nobody chooses to do live like that anymore (apart from hipster one upsmanship)

A 13th century peasant probably had it better than Victorian proles. I mean living in a hovel and working all day in the fields and having no rights isn't exactly a picnic but it beats living in a overcrowded Victorian slum, drinking water that thousands of people piss and poo poo in, working all day in a factory where you are likely to get maimed and having no rights and also breathing air so polluted it can be fatal. At least a 13th century peasant had basically the entire winter off as well as numerous other holidays and the air quality was a lot better.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but 13th century peasants were also likely to either get drafted as cannon fodder or just get straight up murdered for the whims of the landed.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm not sure that changed in the Victorian era.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

A 13th century peasant probably had it better than Victorian proles. I mean living in a hovel and working all day in the fields and having no rights isn't exactly a picnic but it beats living in a overcrowded Victorian slum, drinking water that thousands of people piss and poo poo in, working all day in a factory where you are likely to get maimed and having no rights and also breathing air so polluted it can be fatal. At least a 13th century peasant had basically the entire winter off as well as numerous other holidays and the air quality was a lot better.

Pre-modern farmers generally worked no more than 100 20th century labour-day-equivalents in a year.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
thats really cool actually, too bad most goons wont even take th etime to read through it

:jerkbag:

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Pre-modern farmers generally worked no more than 100 20th century labour-day-equivalents in a year.

At least the church did something good by helping those guys. If you see an old catholic religious calendar you'll notice that almost half the days in a year are in RED marked as holly days

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
What a ducking loser 😂😂😂😂😂

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
there is no race other than white people who would do something as retarded as this

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i hope she gets a crippling laudanum addiction and he rapes her nightly as was the custom.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

some loving idiot posted:

My husband and I study history, specifically the late Victorian era of the 1880s and '90s. Our methods are quite different from those of academics.

lol no bitch you're playing dress-up

source: me, actual academic and student of history

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
not as bad as the hordes of idiots thinking themselves historians for having browsed wikipedia once or twice tho

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
If Victorian reall makes ya happy niggah
liiiiiiiiiivvveee it

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I bet her oval office is stank.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Do we know enough about the Victorians that we can accurately recreate they're lifestyle ?

snivell
Sep 9, 2015

watch out, my posts are pretty damn edgy
hipster oval office nuggets

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

I, too, have a masturbation room.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The last Victorian died this year.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im a cheapskate who doesnt like to turn on the heat or own a car but im not a queer about it

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
They're nuts but I do really like these old Vintage Edison-looking LED light bulbs. :yayclod:

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/blogs/daily/2015/08/led-edison-bulbs

2200K!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

was expecting steampunk, got hipsters instead. voted 1

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I will pay so much money to watch a livestream of one of them going to a period-correct dentist for a root canal or something.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bread Dragon posted:

I will pay so much money to watch a livestream of one of them going to a period-correct dentist for a root canal or something.

but you'd close it 30 seconds in once the screaming starts and the blood is gushing

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
Lotta effort to justify rarely bathing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It'd be pretty okay to be a doctor administering masturbation and or sex to rich women in their secret rooms

Depending on the woman, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw a play about a Victorian fingering doctor, it was pretty funny.

• Locked thread