Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Oberleutnant posted:

Probably not much!

(This is actually a legal document, rather than a letter. I just love to show people it so I can be all :smugdog: about being able to read it)

Is that some variant of Elvish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I wanna scrawl "Ye Olde Fagg" on his house

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sure, just pronounce it correctly - hearing "Yee" is a real thorn in my side

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
By the way: this is a great contemporary account of the reality of life lead by the poor in London.

quote:

The experiences related in this volume fell to me in the summer of 1902. I went down into the under-world of London with an attitude of mind which I may best liken to that of the explorer. I was open to be convinced by the evidence of my eyes, rather than by the teachings of those who had not seen, or by the words of those who had seen and gone before. Further, I took with me certain simple criteria with which to measure the life of the under-world. That which made for more life, for physical and spiritual health, was good; that which made for less life, which hurt, and dwarfed, and distorted life, was bad.

It will be readily apparent to the reader that I saw much that was bad. Yet it must not be forgotten that the time of which I write was considered “good times” in England. The starvation and lack of shelter I encountered constituted a chronic condition of misery which is never wiped out, even in the periods of greatest prosperity.

Following the summer in question came a hard winter. Great numbers of the unemployed formed into processions, as many as a dozen at a time, and daily marched through the streets of London crying for bread. Mr. Justin McCarthy, writing in the month of January 1903, to the New York Independent, briefly epitomises the situation as follows:-

“The workhouses have no space left in which to pack the starving crowds who are craving every day and night at their doors for food and shelter. All the charitable institutions have exhausted their means in trying to raise supplies of food for the famishing residents of the garrets and cellars of London lanes and alleys. The quarters of the Salvation Army in various parts of London are nightly besieged by hosts of the unemployed and the hungry for whom neither shelter nor the means of sustenance can be provided.”

It has been urged that the criticism I have passed on things as they are in England is too pessimistic. I must say, in extenuation, that of optimists I am the most optimistic. But I measure manhood less by political aggregations than by individuals. Society grows, while political machines rack to pieces and become “scrap.” For the English, so far as manhood and womanhood and health and happiness go, I see a broad and smiling future. But for a great deal of the political machinery, which at present mismanages for them, I see nothing else than the scrap heap.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fansy posted:

They have a lower carbon footprint than anyone here.

If there's still a vox.com in 100 years, they'll be seen as one of the few non-evil people living in our time.

That's not very Victorian. Victorians were all about heavy industry and pollution. Massive urbanization and industrialization don't lead to very good air. The "pea soup fog" that you see in a lot of Victorian fiction is mostly smog from all the cheap coal everyone is burning.

It didn't even really improve until the Great Smog of 1952. When some unusually windless and cold weather conditions made the pollution even worse causing at least 4000 deaths in a single week. As many as 12.000 might have died in total and a 100.000 people became seriously ill.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 10, 2015

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
This crap would almost be cute if the author wasn't so smugly superior about hand cranked egg beaters and kerosene lamps.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

They make good points about consumer culture, i.e. buying things made by craftsmen & built to last, but it's kind of ruined by them cherry-picking their favorite parts of the Victorian Era. As other posters have said, they're ignoring the grinding poverty of the era and being nostalgic for a time they didn't live in and barely existed, and even then only for the upper 5% of society.

I used to work in a motorcycle shop restoring pre-1980 motorcycles. Hipsters bloggers would bring in their bikes for someone else to work on every other weekend, while waxing poetic on their blog about the spiritual connection they have with their machine, carburetors are so much more tactile than today's computerized trash, etc. Meanwhile they are completely lost at anything more complicated than opening the gas tank. Or hipsters that shoot film cameras waxing poetic about the superior qualities of film as they drop it off at Walmart for developing by a 15 year old clerk.

Also they're loving morons, the 'big wheel bicycle' is called a penny farthing. Pretty simple to fact-check that, it's like they're faking it to get a book or tv deal.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

ArbitraryC posted:

Stuff like this kinda makes me wonder when historically were people happiest on a day to day basis.

I think the Native Americans were pretty happy for a good while, well before the whole "Manifest Destiny" thing, heh

There are a lot of stories of white settlers running off to live with the indians because the life was perceived to be much better and happier, it was a major problem for early settlements trying to get founded

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Amish do this poo poo on the reg and they're not big whiny babies about it. They need to loving get over themselves.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I AM ANGRY

ANGRY ABOUT LIFESTYLES

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
basically they like corsets and kerosene lamps

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
maybe she will drop a lamp and then be trapped by her ridiculous hoop skirt and burn to death, just like in real life

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What were victorian era condoms made of?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What were victorian era condoms made of?

Animal guts. The same thing as sausage casings (which must have saved some expenses)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I bet her cooch loving stinks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

I bet her cooch loving stinks

She washes it with vinegar and shaves with sharpened clam shells, she's no barbarian.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also her husband is a Victorian, he lives at a colonial outpost where he fucks a harem of exotic sex slaves. He only saw his wife the day he proposed to her, and the day he married her five years later.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's not very Victorian. Victorians were all about heavy industry and pollution. Massive urbanization and industrialization don't lead to very good air. The "pea soup fog" that you see in a lot of Victorian fiction is mostly smog from all the cheap coal everyone is burning.

It didn't even really improve until the Great Smog of 1952. When some unusually windless and cold weather conditions made the pollution even worse causing at least 4000 deaths in a single week. As many as 12.000 might have died in total and a 100.000 people became seriously ill.

These two people live an environmentally conscious life. Whether it's historically accurate doesn't really change that fact.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 10, 2015

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Fansy posted:

I'm not critiquing their historical accuracy, I'm just saying these two people live an environmentally conscious life.

Nobody in America lives an environmentally conscious life in the middle of a giant city. They just pretend to because they are too dumb to fully understand the externalities of their existence in the modern era.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sentient Data posted:

i got it

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Oberleutnant posted:

By the way: this is a great contemporary account of the reality of life lead by the poor in London.

Thanks for posting this! For any Americans wondering how poo poo life was on their side of the pond, I recommend Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. Yeah it's fiction, but it's based in large part on what he saw in the Chicago butcher factories. Also look up Nellie Bly for firsthand accounts on how poo poo life was in places like insane asylums (hint: it was fantastically, abusively bad)

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I think the Native Americans were pretty happy for a good while, well before the whole "Manifest Destiny" thing, heh

There are a lot of stories of white settlers running off to live with the indians because the life was perceived to be much better and happier, it was a major problem for early settlements trying to get founded

iirc when lewis and clark were travelling through South Dakota they ran across the Teton Sioux tribe. L&C wrote that the sioux were a bunch of backstabbing assholes. and they usually got on well with native americans. so even pre-columbian americas were a bit crap

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Hobohemian posted:

Nobody in America lives an environmentally conscious life in the middle of a giant city. They just pretend to because they are too dumb to fully understand the externalities of their existence in the modern era.

City dwellers have a lower carbon footprint than suburban or rural.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/mar/23/city-dwellers-smaller-carbon-footprints

If they live like this in the middle of a city, they're pretty drat environmentally righteous.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

iirc when lewis and clark were travelling through South Dakota they ran across the Teton Sioux tribe. L&C wrote that the sioux were a bunch of backstabbing assholes. and they usually got on well with native americans. so even pre-columbian americas were a bit crap

There's no pure and virtuous civilization. The Native American failed to destroy North America only because he didn't invent the technologies that would allow him to store excess yields from natural resources.

South American Indians saw murder as a legitimate means of doing away with unpleasant tribal members.

African tribes became the main threat to the wildlife their ancestors worshipped as soon as they got their hands on guns.

Chinese peasants destroyed natural arboreal and alluvial ecosystems in efforts to maximize short+term crops harvests.

In general humility and respect towards nature have never existed as a mass phenomenon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

She washes it with vinegar and shaves with sharpened clam shells, she's no barbarian.

I thought realistic would be having hair down there thicker than the amazonian jungle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

I thought realistic would be having hair down there thicker than the amazonian jungle.

The Victorians, contrary to popular belief, were no strangers to sex and sexual adjustments.

Erotic piercings were common (piercing of a single nipple was particularly popular among women), and shaved poosays were relatively widespread, though some shaven women wore merkins because preference for shaven pubis was not universal.

In fact the classes that took pubic shaving as a norm often used pubic clippings as keepsakes to remind them of their loved ones.

Anyway, the fact Victorian ladies knew how to trim the bush shouldn't come as a surprise, given that loving four thousand years earlier Egyptians fetishized shaved bodies without any of the advanced knowledge of metallurgy (and at least in some cases literally used the sharpened clam shells I mentioned)

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Fansy posted:

City dwellers have a lower carbon footprint than suburban or rural.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/mar/23/city-dwellers-smaller-carbon-footprints

If they live like this in the middle of a city, they're pretty drat environmentally righteous.

Just because you're less lovely than most doesn't mean your living environmentally conscious. If you want to be environmentally conscious you need to advocate for policies that address the systemic issues within society as a whole. That's usually things like replacing coal with nuclear power, deforestation, and unsustainable factory farming practices, not playing dress-up and pretending the rest of the world doesn't exist because your idle rich white rear end doesn't have to feel the brunt of it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yall are really obsessed with this woman's fish-pond. kinda creepy imo

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

hysteria is still a standard diagnosis btw, they just changed the name and you can't use it as an excuse to finger gently caress chicks anymore

Doctors didn't use it as an "excuse".

It was their best and most reliable way to make money, but many of them complained that it was really demanding on their hands. There'd be a lot of women to go through every day and they'd get real tired.

Most would've been happy to stop doing it, but it was just about the only thing doctors did back then that really made their patient feel better. It was in high demand and generated a lot of repeat business.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Millie posted:

I'm kind of disappointed. I thought they were going to be obese.

Nah they seem dedicated enough to do lovely chores w/o appliances as they also opted not to live in total squalor, some squalor sure, just not total.

If you read the article it seems like just maintaining body temperature becomes an issue in the winter. Hopefully they don't rely too hard on actual preserved foods all winter long tho lest they get scurvy or other deficiencies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope they only buy preserved food in either mason jars or lead-soldered tins.

Also that the lead in their tomato cans gets dissolved by the acid and they end up with accute lead poisoning.

fivethree
Jul 28, 2014
haha i bet they stink olol

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

South American Indians saw murder as a legitimate means of doing away with unpleasant tribal members.

The Incan empire legitimately abolished hunger and was basically a model communist state so I am still going with that one

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

The Incan empire legitimately abolished hunger and was basically a model communist state so I am still going with that one

I'm talking less about the Incas, and more about the many peripheral Amazon tribes.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

No way, it might be the best video on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Also, do they take cocaine for toothaches and mercury for stomachaches, or do they cheat and go to modern doctors?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

I hope they only buy preserved food in either mason jars or lead-soldered tins.

Also that the lead in their tomato cans gets dissolved by the acid and they end up with accute lead poisoning.

Sadly they don't seem that batshit, the second one of them gets a chest cold they probably run for the nearest hospital to get at those sweet modern antibiotics.

No bearing it out to see if pneumonia develops while feverishly getting deep into the occult when traditional treatments fail, I'm afraid.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Gabriel regularly keeps company with one or two syphilitic prostitutes in the poorer part of town while she gets vibed by the courteous, thorough Dr. Langley on a bi-weekly basis. At night they retire to their separate bedchambers but not before a chaste and loveless peck on the cheeks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think the Vitorians used mercury to treat common maladies. They used mercury to slow down syphilis symptoms, and it worked in that faculty.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think the Vitorians used mercury to treat common maladies. They used mercury to slow down syphilis symptoms, and it worked in that faculty.

yeah they used opium for the rest, which also works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
However, Victorian confectioners used arsenic compounds to decorate baked goods (a practice they copied from France).

In fact, Scottish people in particular still see green sweets (historically green colour was achieved via arsenic) as a sign of bad luck, because the unregulated use of the "green colour" kied many chidren in the Victorian times.

• Locked thread