Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Did anyone laugh at the bad effects for the zombie skunks and other animals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

etalian posted:

Did anyone laugh at the bad effects for the zombie skunks and other animals?

Yeah they looked like old arcade shooting gallery props. Like most things in Z nation this actually worked in its favor :allears:

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 18, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah they looked like old arcade shooting gallery props. Like most things in Z nation this is actually worked in its favor :allears:

get away from me you zombie varmints

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Well Murphy's bite also cured normal zombie poo poo.
Remember when they were trying to steal that dude's truck and Murphy bit him? He got shot later and stayed dead.

Good point. I kind of forgot about that scene, s'been awhile.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Reivur posted:

Good point. I kind of forgot about that scene, s'been awhile.

Which is amazing for a show like this, they have actual, long running plot threads that get resolved at some point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They even referred to the first zombie baby in the pilot.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Is there a gif of the baby toss?

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

So are Citizen Z and doggie dead? Also, are they heading towards the lab or what?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

1-Up posted:

So are Citizen Z and doggie dead? Also, are they heading towards the lab or what?

DJ Qualls was cast in Amazon's new "The Man in the High Castle" series. Maybe he's just splitting time between the two shows and they're just keeping it ambiguous while he's not available.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

DJ Qualls was cast in Amazon's new "The Man in the High Castle" series.

Is this worth a watch? The book is most excellent.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've seen the first two, it's brilliant. It's different from the book, but it's only minor stuff thus far. One of the things they changed is for the better.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I love how DJ Qualls just sort of permanently looks 14.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

DJ Qualls was cast in Amazon's new "The Man in the High Castle" series. Maybe he's just splitting time between the two shows and they're just keeping it ambiguous while he's not available.

I'm a bit happy about that. His scenes were starting to grate on me after the hallucination episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm a bit happy about that. His scenes were starting to grate on me after the hallucination episode.

His scenes are also not the interesting and unpredictable as the rest of the crazy show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like Qualls, but having an omnipotent super-hacker looking out for the team really cuts into the sense of desperation. I really enjoyed how his made-up reward for Murphy's return backfired, though.

Z-Nation is probably one of the first shows I've seen that isn't terrified to leave characters off-screen when there's nothing for them to do.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

I like Qualls, but having an omnipotent super-hacker looking out for the team really cuts into the sense of desperation. I really enjoyed how his made-up reward for Murphy's return backfired, though.

Z-Nation is probably one of the first shows I've seen that isn't terrified to leave characters off-screen when there's nothing for them to do.

Well he stopped being a omnipotent super hacker when his base got targeted and destroyed by nukes which also warmed up the dead people in the plane crash enough to make them zombies.

Plus I liked that even though he was supposed to be omnipotent, he kept getting them in trouble.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok so THAT'S where the zombie pilots came from. I must have been distracted when that was shown, I just figured somehow zombies got in.

But agreed that it's a better direction for him this season.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
In one of those bts/press interview things he mentioned how he felt sorta bad because the cast get all this work while he shows up and shoots for four days and wraps.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose the zombies will refreeze?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The arms dealers are back :allears:

Also a dentistry scam of all things

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
that ending was awesome :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geOqbM03Hf0

also gonna need confirmation on that special guest cos' damb.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dang, missed the synopses this week. Another good episode.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Erghh posted:

also gonna need confirmation on that special guest cos' damb.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/10/george-rr-martin-zombie-z-nation

That was a really fun episode, I like the gun dealers but honestly did not expect them to be able to carry an episode like they did.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

JossiRossi posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/10/george-rr-martin-zombie-z-nation

That was a really fun episode, I like the gun dealers but honestly did not expect them to be able to carry an episode like they did.

Huh, said guest likes some low budget sci-fi apparently.

Whatever brings in the attention for another season, though.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Can I just say, I love the idea of cartels being the authority figures in a post apocalytic north america. Also didn't expect scam dudes to carry an ep so well but they did it. Z Nation constantly full of surprises.

"For what? We still haven't gotten you laid!"

Between this and the condoms, now I'm afraid 10k is gonna die in a horrible sex accident.

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 24, 2015

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamn, that was a great episode. The arms dealers have a real Douglas Adams vibe to them; Sketchy especially is like Zaphod Beeblebrox. The dentist truck was great because as soon as it showed up, all I could think about was how desperately you'd want something like that in an Apocalypse and also how it's so clearly going to be a trap. And this show does a great job with sharply drawn minor characters like the woman with the zombie husband.

Also...

Tokubetsu posted:

"For what? We still haven't gotten you laid!"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Slamhound posted:

And this show does a great job with sharply drawn minor characters like the woman with the zombie husband.

The town leader was great too.

"We had a good thing going and then it all went to hell"
"Yeah, that zombie apocalypse..."
"No ! The War of Northern Agression !!!"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

CeeJee posted:

The town leader was great too.

"We had a good thing going and then it all went to hell"
"Yeah, that zombie apocalypse..."
"No ! The War of Northern Agression !!!"

Anybody who calls the American Civil War the War of Northern Aggression is either deluded or a horrible racist who wants an entire ethnicity to suffer because of their skin color.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I think that was the point of the line, yeah. To establish such about the character.

That ending was great, Sketchy and Skeezy need their own show. On a whirlwind adventure looking for zombie gold and carving out a legend in the process.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 24, 2015

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
As soon as Sketchy and Skeezy were loading up in the dentist truck, I turned to my girlfriend and said "This is going to end in a freeze frame. This just has a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid vibe"

I was not disappointed.

I was expecting 10K's new friend to join the group after Cassandra received mercy. The core group is down to ones I'd have a hard time seeing them getting killed off now. Though I would have said that back when Garnett was still around in early S1, so who knows.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

QwertySanchez posted:

I think that was the point of the line, yeah. To establish such about the character.

That ending was great, Sketchy and Skeezy need their own show. On a whirlwind adventure looking for zombie gold and carving out a legend in the process.

Not everybody who watches this show is American obviously, and might not be up on what they consider to be relatively obscure aspects of the United States. :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Klaus88 posted:

Anybody who calls the American Civil War the War of Northern Aggression is either deluded or a horrible racist who wants an entire ethnicity to suffer because of their skin color.

Also The South is full of people like that who swear up and down their family used to be southern royalty until Sherman burned down their farm and took their slaves away when really their great-grandparents were janitors in Antebellum times and were nowhere near Georgia at the time

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Klaus88 posted:

Not everybody who watches this show is American obviously, and might not be up on what they consider to be relatively obscure aspects of the United States. :v:

I'm not American. And I wouldn't really call the American Civil War that obscure.Though I do watch a lot of american shows, I've probably heard the term before on futurama or The Simpsons or something..

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
For kinda obscure, I liked when Sketchy talked about "I am an American" and then nodded to the cartel guy and said "Northern American". I've been in discussions with hispanic co-workers about how calling yourself "American" lays claim to a lot more than just the USA in many people's minds.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mortanis posted:

As soon as Sketchy and Skeezy were loading up in the dentist truck, I turned to my girlfriend and said "This is going to end in a freeze frame. This just has a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid vibe"

I was not disappointed.

I was expecting 10K's new friend to join the group after Cassandra received mercy. The core group is down to ones I'd have a hard time seeing them getting killed off now. Though I would have said that back when Garnett was still around in early S1, so who knows.

I wouldn't mind seeing Addy get killed off. So far as I'm concerned she doesn't offer anything to the group dynamics. She's like Cassandra pre-bite.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

also laughing at the blue grass out of nowhere surprise

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

etalian posted:

also laughing at the blue grass out of nowhere surprise

Did they change more than just the theme music? For some reason I thought that the eyes changed color only once in the opening, but this one they went to red and then to yellow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they've been turning to yellow and the mushroom cloud all season to address the kind of "fallout" theme of the season.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Octy posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing Addy get killed off. So far as I'm concerned she doesn't offer anything to the group dynamics. She's like Cassandra pre-bite.

I dunno, I think she plays an important dramatic role as a mediator between the idealist Doc and the more or less realists - cynics like Warren and the bounty hunter guy.

It's kinda amazing I have a much deeper appreciation of these characters after just one season than on any TWD character after five years of television.

QwertySanchez posted:

I'm not American. And I wouldn't really call the American Civil War that obscure.Though I do watch a lot of american shows, I've probably heard the term before on futurama or The Simpsons or something..

War of Northern Aggression is an incredibly popular shorthand for establishing a character as a paternalist racist,I think anybody with a passing knowledge of American culture would be either familiar with it, or able to deduce its meaning.

JossiRossi posted:

For kinda obscure, I liked when Sketchy talked about "I am an American" and then nodded to the cartel guy and said "Northern American". I've been in discussions with hispanic co-workers about how calling yourself "American" lays claim to a lot more than just the USA in many people's minds.

That was a good moment. Scorpio acted as a pretty interesting character during the court session, both impressed by Sketchy's bullshitting, and smart enough to see past it. I expected him to offer them freedom in exchange for working for the Zetas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slamhound posted:

The dentist truck was great because as soon as it showed up, all I could think about was how desperately you'd want something like that in an Apocalypse

I can tolerate all the rotting flesh and general filth, but the greyed out teeth on all characters just make me loving squeamish.

• Locked thread