Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was very subtle and I appreciate it for that. This dumb show has better writing on it than most big buck tv dramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
drat that was great, but y'all have warped meanings for "subtle" when they beat you over the head with it. About the time it got to "There's no room for us in this inn" you'd have to be pretty obtuse not to notice it.

Zombie camel. Zombie. Camel. If there's a god he'll cancel TWD and give the budget to the Z Nation folks.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Invalid Validation posted:

It was very subtle and I appreciate it for that. This dumb show has better writing on it than most big buck tv dramas.

I watched this last episode and then caught up with the final episode of Fear the Walking Dead.....and Z nation has more budget, better characters, and better drama then Fear the Walking Dead EVER accomplished.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Okay, I'm gonna need a rolling cheese gif.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just caught up. Holy gently caress the cheese. Also kudos that they made me feel a little bad for the mom who has had all of 5 minutes screentime total.

The loving Asylum made this. Holy gently caress is this bizarro world? Who knew they could make something actually good?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DarklyDreaming posted:

Cassandra is a feral puppy now

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 11, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Error 404 posted:

Just caught up. Holy gently caress the cheese. Also kudos that they made me feel a little bad for the mom who has had all of 5 minutes screentime total.

The loving Asylum made this. Holy gently caress is this bizarro world? Who knew they could make something actually good?

Maybe you should check out Grave Encounters, one of the most legitimately unsettling horror movies I've ever seen.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Remember Philly?
What happened in Philly?
You'll see

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

Maybe you should check out Grave Encounters, one of the most legitimately unsettling horror movies I've ever seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_Encounters

No mention of Asylum..?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ha I liked the part too with the water dish.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:shrug:

I coulda sworn the opening credits had the Asylum in there.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yeah it's no big deal, I love Grave Encounters and I love Z-Nation so it's still a sound suggestion, just didn't think they were related in any way. I think Grave Encounters might have had "asylum" in a subtitle or something.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
The setting was an insane asylum... Maybe that's where the wires for crossed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New Episode

Zombie Baby Daddy

Murphy's parental instincts kick in as he grows quite attached to Little Miss Murphy Jr., while the rest of the team can't help but wonder if there's more to this child than meets the eye. Elsewhere, Warren follows Vasquez to a secret meeting; and Cassandra forces 10K to make a difficult decision.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

New Episode

Zombie Baby Daddy

Murphy's parental instincts kick in as he grows quite attached to Little Miss Murphy Jr., while the rest of the team can't help but wonder if there's more to this child than meets the eye. Elsewhere, Warren follows Vasquez to a secret meeting; and Cassandra forces 10K to make a difficult decision.

Sounds good, a little over 2 hours left!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Holy acid flashback it's a bus full of zombie Lincolns

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
This show keeps toying with us...

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I appreciate the ruthlessness with which Nation-Z resolves lingering plot lines. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When they were going down that hospital corridor with the dead bodies on stretchers in sheets, I got strong vibes of TWD pilot where Rick wakes up.

So did I understand correctly that Murphy bit Ma and Pa Kettle so they'd compliantly raise the kid? Why didn't they turn out to be all 'tarded and poo poo like Cassandra?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Astroman posted:

When they were going down that hospital corridor with the dead bodies on stretchers in sheets, I got strong vibes of TWD pilot where Rick wakes up.

So did I understand correctly that Murphy bit Ma and Pa Kettle so they'd compliantly raise the kid? Why didn't they turn out to be all 'tarded and poo poo like Cassandra?

I'm guessing because Cassandra "died" of her infection just after Murphy bit her.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'm guessing because Cassandra "died" of her infection just after Murphy bit her.

Yeah I'm guessing theres some weird brain death stuff involved. Magic of course too considering z-weed and how it seemed to make her "better" temporarily.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Lincoln coin kill was pure genius.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

The Lincoln coin kill was pure genius.

No wonder why someone shot him in a theater.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Klaus88 posted:

I appreciate the ruthlessness with which Nation-Z resolves lingering plot lines. :allears:

It is kind of amazing how this show handles the lot better than most. Like with Vasquez, some shows would have turned his acting suspicious into a 6 episode affair. Instead it is directly shown a couple times, and then this episode the whole group knows he has been acting weird, right before they then just make the reveal.

Or how Cassandra's situation would have had a lot more 10K attraction weirdness very likely, and probably not had her stabbed to death in a relatively minor event. It is sad to see Pao go, but I think they wanted to emphasize that Murphy biting people does not save them, it just turns you into a puppet instead of a brain eater.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I think I'll just live in denial and hope she comes back with a classic hand breaking through the dirt, thanks :(

But wow, that whole scene between her and 10K was actually really tense. It was a good twist on that whole "two people struggle for the gun, a shot goes off and they both look shocked" trope, except for those few seconds, I wasn't actually sure who had just been killed. Normally it's the hero vs the bad guy, and the hero of the show can't die, but this is Z Nation. They filmed that perfectly, and I honestly didn't know who had just died until 10K blinked when her hands fell off his face. For a cheesy zombie show, that was a beautiful shot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I feel sorry about Cassandra!s demise, which makes this show like ten times more emotionally impactful than TWD.

And yes the scenes between her and 10K were well-shot and well orchestrated. Though I was surprised they didn't utilize the broadcast tower and its able anchors despite all the signalling early in the episode.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So I ended up binging on this show due to talk in the FTWD thread and it's just so much more fun than either of the TWD shows. I think I felt worse when Shades dies than any of the main character deaths in TWD.

Plus, the fun of the Liberty Bell and the giant cheese wheel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TMMadman posted:

So I ended up binging on this show due to talk in the FTWD thread and it's just so much more fun than either of the TWD shows. I think I felt worse when Shades dies than any of the main character deaths in TWD.

Plus, the fun of the Liberty Bell and the giant cheese wheel.

Fun and unexpected are the best ways to describe the show. It's really brilliant with stuff like the lincoln zombie coin visual gag in the intro scene or the other scene in which they inflate a zombie to death with a fire extinguisher.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Fun and unexpected are the best ways to describe the show. It's really brilliant with stuff like the lincoln zombie coin visual gag in the intro scene or the other scene in which they inflate a zombie to death with a fire extinguisher.

Both of those were fantastic. Even the Zombaby was hilariously awesome.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Am I the only one that thought 10k and Cassandra were going to be fighting but then start to gently caress?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Am I the only one that thought 10k and Cassandra were going to be fighting but then start to gently caress?

Ehhhhh. I'd have called it 50/50 either way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Not seen the latest episode yet but the previous one on the farm was legitimately brilliant, it had humor, it had pathos, it had plot moving forward, and god drat it's been awhile since I've felt so bad watching something because those poor dorky Mennonite kids deserved better, but the thing is everyone in show agreed except Vasquez, they just didn't see an alternative. Which is probably how the real apocalypse would go down, zombie or otherwise - a lot of basically decent people doing lovely things to survive. Highly effective is what I'm saying :(

The cheese wheel and the zombie camel though, holy :lol:

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
TBH I was confused as to whether she was dead or not when he buried her. I figure since they reanimate so fast she probably is dead but that was a neck stab instead of a head one. I mean so far Zombies = Gotta be head stomped. Humans = Bleed out -> Turn into Zombie. If she 'died of infection' and came back, then would neck stab kill her?

Guess so, just feels ambiguous.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reivur posted:

TBH I was confused as to whether she was dead or not when he buried her. I figure since they reanimate so fast she probably is dead but that was a neck stab instead of a head one. I mean so far Zombies = Gotta be head stomped. Humans = Bleed out -> Turn into Zombie. If she 'died of infection' and came back, then would neck stab kill her?

Guess so, just feels ambiguous.

Well Murphy's bite also cured normal zombie poo poo.
Remember when they were trying to steal that dude's truck and Murphy bit him? He got shot later and stayed dead.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 18, 2015

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Just watched this episode. This show has real range, and it's impressive. I still see people on the Internet kind of refer to it as that other Zombie show, and it's a real shame.

I guess I'm in the minority because I like this and TWD just fine. They really do the same concept in wildly different ways so there's plenty of room for both.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Astroman posted:

Also the opening scene reminded me of Terminus and they were killing Lincolns ...

Andrew Lincoln plays Rick

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was purposely shot to be a little suggestive. Especially towards the end when they were rolling around and grappling.

Show does a good job of at hinting at stuff and then actually using it later. I have no doubt 10k loses his virginity by the end of the season. We had this suggestive tussle, and then the condoms from the last episode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Genuinely sorry to see Cassandra go. On the one hand it seems like they could have done more with her character and transformation, on the other hand, the cruel abruptness of her death is kind of appropriate. It makes you kind of hate Murphy more.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Z-nation is the underdog team in a feel-good sports movie. All it has is heart and somehow that's enough. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

Slamhound posted:

Genuinely sorry to see Cassandra go. On the one hand it seems like they could have done more with her character and transformation, on the other hand, the cruel abruptness of her death is kind of appropriate. It makes you kind of hate Murphy more.

Really? Cassandra was dying and they all would have died had he not transformed her into... Whatever she became.

Murphy will inherit the Earth, probably. I for one welcome our blue overlords.

• Locked thread