Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Everything Burrito posted:

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki
Typical company employee Tanaka Daichi (38 years old, single) loves games and plays a new type of VRMMO called "One More Free Life Online" under the username "Earth". Inside this free world he chose several skills that are generally regarded as useless. Be it wasting time crafting potions, cooking up pointlessly tasty food, or hunting monsters with some absurd weapon he crafted, he simply enjoys playing the game.

I was curious if this was going to be cute or just really dull, turns out it's a cute one :3:
:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The way his skill progress is shown is pretty neat as well. Early on he's with a party and they have trouble with a particular enemy, then later he's soloing the same kind of monster easily.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Oh, yeah, I've been keeping up with that since it was recommended in The Gamer thread!
I really like the touch about how crafting things has that intuitive touch that isn't easily translated between people, even if they're at the same skill level/whatever. The whole experimental discovery process to work out recipes is really cool. I enjoy how it adds flavor and complexity to the whole crafting element

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nahxela posted:

Oh, yeah, I've been keeping up with that since it was recommended in The Gamer thread!
I really like the touch about how crafting things has that intuitive touch that isn't easily translated between people, even if they're at the same skill level/whatever. The whole experimental discovery process to work out recipes is really cool. I enjoy how it adds flavor and complexity to the whole crafting element

The crafting reminds me of Asheron's Call, an old MMO that required players to craft magical spells to unlock them, and the recipes were unique for each player. Of course someone figured out how the random recipes were generated and made a program to calculate the rest of the spells once you had figured out one or two of them.

One thing I don't like about that series is how he makes such a big deal about people claiming certain skills are useless when the game just came out and no one has had a chance to test them out.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Asheron's Call actually had a similar system as well, where the more people cast a spell, the less effective it became. The theory being that if you put a lot of effort into researching a complex spell no one knew, and didn't share, your spell would be more powerful.

In practice there were only a few dozen useful spells and everyone used the formula to figure them out, but I thought it was a cool idea.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

This feels like a less Korean, more upbeat version of The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
One More Free Life Online sounds like a really terrible game. Just a random chance that you can't participate in new content.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is incredibly similar to only sense online, but with all of the gender-swap weirdness removed.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The fairies denying his pvp attempts while all teary eyed is pretty funny to me, though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Avulsion posted:

One thing I don't like about that series is how he makes such a big deal about people claiming certain skills are useless when the game just came out and no one has had a chance to test them out.

It's pretty normal for MMOs to have open beta tests, so it makes sense for people to know a lot about the game even though it just got a proper release.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
New Delicious Dungeon.

It's the ciiiiiiircle of liiiiife.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 21, 2015

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Laius only has himself to blame.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably about time he had some sort of significant negative reaction to shoving whatever crosses his path down his gullet.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

jfc, somehow that's the first time i felt legit disgusted by their food.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I'm not sure I could stomach a parasite.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I could stomach a parasite.

Nice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is just a big eel.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Certain Lamprey species are parasitic, the ones that hook onto and suck blood from other fish. It's more-or-less just grilled lamprey.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The real lesson here is not to eat raw meat.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Laius sneakily eating it in the background of the panels while Senshi was cooking was a nice subtle detail. You can tell he's up to something but his back is turned so it isn't entirely clear until he admits it later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Delicious Dungeon updated.

Yet another fantastic chapter, and this one's not even in the same dungeon! It's got some great world-building, I didn't expect that honestly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The author's other works (Terrarium in a Drawer, The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children) show that he's consistently good at blending the fantastic with the ordinary and at worldbuilding, and Delicious Dungeon is no exception.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Delicious Dungeon updated.

Yet another fantastic chapter, and this one's not even in the same dungeon! It's got some great world-building, I didn't expect that honestly.

It never occurred to me that there were dungeons outside of this main one but it makes sense when you think back to chapter 1 where Senshi talks about how people already used slimes for cooking and again with the Mandrakes having a competitive growing scene.

Mikl posted:

The author's other works (Terrarium in a Drawer, The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children) show that he's consistently good at blending the fantastic with the ordinary and at worldbuilding, and Delicious Dungeon is no exception.
I see this get nitpicked on the chans, but the mangaka Kui Ryoku is a woman.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Haha what's up with that credits page?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Jackard posted:

Haha what's up with that credits page?

Akagi references are the best thing :allears:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really love the little details in Dungeon Meshi's art, like the water pouring out of Marcille's hood as she's standing up on the surface.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The game in Toaru Ossan no VRMMO no Katsudouki sounds like it's really terribly designed and more or less resembles something like early FF11 (I only played FF11 when it first came out, so maybe they fixed some of this stuff) in many aspects (super unbalanced, seemingly significant death penalties, mobs that chase you endlessly and chain, meaning you're forced to die if you mistakenly aggro something too strong).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 4, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Delicious Dungeon

JESUS CHRIST THAT ESCALATED FAST

edit: Oh poo poo HELMETLESS SENSHI!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 22, 2015

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Jeez, so far we've seen two groups who use revival magic and they seem like huge jerks? First the guys who revive downed parties for a fee and don't bother warning them of dangers ahead so they'll die again, and now the old man who uses his hired guards as meat shields.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
LOL when Laius just gave Marcille that piece of tentaclus while she was sick and couldn't refuse.

Also, if that new dwarf just thonked Laius on the head with the arrow, why did the monster let them go? I must have missed it. Did Laius' snail sword do something?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AgentHaiTo posted:

LOL when Laius just gave Marcille that piece of tentaclus while she was sick and couldn't refuse.

Also, if that new dwarf just thonked Laius on the head with the arrow, why did the monster let them go? I must have missed it. Did Laius' snail sword do something?
Laius is imagining her shooting him in the head on accident because he just found out she's never actually shot a crossbow before. She didn't actually hit him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

Going by the ears and fact that she smelled the group way ahead of anyone else I think she's a Halfling. Just one that really loves equipment.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Finally, a new chapter of Dungeon Meshi. I like the resolution to this one a lot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So Namari is a dwarf, right? She's an expert in craftmanship and physically tougher than a human.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Gotta be, everything about her screams 'dwarf'

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

So Namari is a dwarf, right? She's an expert in craftmanship and physically tougher than a human.

I want to say she's an atypical halfling that has a stockier build and and a thing for equipment. But dwarf is a safe bet at least. It's her ears and sharp senses that throw me off.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

dungeon meshi is loving amazing. thanks, thread

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Brought To You By posted:

I want to say she's an atypical halfling that has a stockier build and and a thing for equipment. But dwarf is a safe bet at least. It's her ears and sharp senses that throw me off.

I thought the people she was working for were halflings? They have different ears than her.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

XboxPants posted:

I thought the people she was working for were halflings? They have different ears than her.

They're gnomes. With her stocky build, metal knowledge, and strength Namari's definitely a dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm intrigued by the hint of Senshi backstory. It sounds like his family colleagues exiled him, probably for being a very nontraditional dwarf.