Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's what I figure. It's his first so I just might have to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Well, drat, I started so I might as well keep track and try to hit a high mark.

The Horror of Party Beach (1964) 3.5/5

only ever saw the mystery science theater episode. and it was hilarious

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

space-man posted:

The slumber party scene is surprisingly effective for a dudes-in-suits movie.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I watched Starry Eyes last night. It was really good, I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Watrick posted:

I watched Starry Eyes last night. It was really good, I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

Gonna second the recommendation. I was very pleasantly surprised by it.

Also, if anyone here liked Let The Right One In, When Animals Dream is worth a look. Nowhere near as good, but in a somewhat similar vein.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
1. The Horror of Party Beach (1964) 3.5/5

2. Ghoulies 2 (1988) 2/5

Unfortunately not as stupid as Ghoulies 3, but still pretty boring at times. We get to see the Ghoulies walk, which is good. One of them has wings which is ok, I guess. A man falls into a toxic barrel of dry ice in a body shop. The fruity, mewling cat-Ghoulie straight-razors a lady, flies through the air in an oversized boxing glove, and then is eaten by another Ghoulie which has become large. That is Ghoulies 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope you are going to watch Bud the Chud.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope you are going to watch Bud the Chud.

Oh man, I was in no way prepared for the huge shift in tone from the original movie to Bud the Chud! It's goofy and funny, but Chud definitely deserved a better sequel than that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How much better could a sequel to CHUD possibly be?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

How much better could a sequel to CHUD possibly be?

Bud the Chud is great. They took that sequel in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, I like the first, but Bud is just drat fun.

So my pregame so far is:

Pelts
The Screwfly Solution
Dangerous Toys
Valerie on the Stairs
Starry Eyes
Exeter

Exeter was pretty fun. Sort of a weird combo of The Exorcist and Night of the Demons. It makes me laugh how people have Internet and use it, but don't call the police when many people are getting slaughtered just so they don't get in trouble.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tell me about Valerie on the Stairs.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Tell me about Valerie on the Stairs.

It was a Masters of Horror movie directed by Mick Garris. A writer moves into a writers co-op and he sees a girl named Valerie on the stairs. She's sort of a ghost. The other writers tell him he's crazy, blah blah blah. It's more than a ghost story. It's decent. The ending was sort of stupid. Decent gore. It's worth a watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a waste of a good title.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

What a waste of a good title.

Yeah. A lot of the Masters of Horrors were mediocre.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
2. Ghoulies 2 (1988) 2/5

3. The Clown Murders (1976) 3/5

This is an odd, very flawed, slow burning thriller that just sort of drives around in circles but left me entertained. Plus, there's John Candy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is on the fence, Cooties is pretty mediocre.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
2. Ghoulies 2 (1988) 2/5
3. The Clown Murders (1976) 3/5

4. Sundown (1989) 2.5/5

There's a modicum of fun and some cool scenes in this western-flavored vampire story but overall it's an embarrassing mess and a great supporting cast is largely wasted. At least M. Emmet Walsh gets some screen time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are we just... turning this thread into the new 31 days of horror thread? Because I think that's yet to come.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Lurdiak posted:

Are we just... turning this thread into the new 31 days of horror thread? Because I think that's yet to come.

I have absolutely no idea. But there's already a horror thread, sooo?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that was this thread was generally supposed to be. I didn't want to make it specifically about people just doing the 31 day challenge, as people just want to watch a handful of movies.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I didn't sleep with my light off, in my bedroom, until I was about 12-13 or so at least. Every single night. Embarrassing, but you are all goons. So who cares?

We're around the same age and I did something similar for years. I remember when I was like, probably 6-7 maybe, there was a trailer on TV for a horror movie where, as I remember it, a zombie hand bursts out of a wall in a house. It freaked me out and afterwards I would to sleep on the side of the bed farthest away from the wall and over the years it just got to be a habit.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Vagabundo posted:

Speaking of which, a couple of weeks ago, I sent an optional viewing list to my students - "A Week of Wes"

Night 1: The Last House on the Left (1972)
Night 2: The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
Night 3: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Night 4: The People Under the Stairs (1991)
Night 5: Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
Night 6: Scream (1996)
Night 7: Red Eye (2005)

This is an excellent list and I'll try to get through them all - will take some persuading of the wife though as she hates horror

If it came to prioritising what I'd want to see out of that lot, I think it would have to be 4, 3 and 2. I have never seen The People Under the Stairs as on the trailers on the old rental VHS's, it looked waaaay to freaky for me. Would like to see it now that I'm about 20 years older though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

space-man posted:

The Zombie Stomp is a pretty fantastic song though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Zombie Stomp is a pretty fantastic song though.

The Del-Aires are perfectly acceptable white bread rock and roll.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Francois_Dillinger posted:

This is an excellent list and I'll try to get through them all - will take some persuading of the wife though as she hates horror

One of the things that struck me as I was putting it together was how much the idea of the family unit informed Wes Craven's work to varying degrees. Hell, the first half is almost entirely about families.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Man, I'm kicking myself that I've missed this thread solely because it's stickied. :doh:

Anyways, I'm a horror fanatic, and I even have a film degree, but like Pennywise above me, I only come into CD this time of year, cause I'm a single minded nerd. Anyways, last year I went ahead and played the 31 in 31 challenge, with the caveat that it had to be movies that I'd never seen before. I managed to hit 37. I just decided tonight to think big and better myself, getting at least to the 40s. I honestly don't care if this ends up being the 31 in 31 thread, or if it gets its own. Over the last few weeks I've been making a list to try to think up stuff to watch besides the random surprises in Lurdiak's streams (I'll totally do that again this year, it was a blast last year, and I recommend it) and the whim picks off netflix or my rather large collection (which I'm sure is dwarfed by some in here, but I haven't properly cataloged it. I'm sure I'm in the 4 digits by now). I add things to my list when they occur to me, when I see people talk about them here, or even in fb groups I'm in, so it's pretty random and disjointed. I have...broad horror tastes:

quote:

noroi
thirst
strange circus
noriko's dinner table
guinea pig sequels (5 titles)
gyo
celler dweller
slumber party massacre 2
sleepaway camp
blood and black lace
uncle banya who can see his past lives
who can kill a child?
The editor
Bad Milo!
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Warlock trilogy sequels (two titles)
Stage Fright
The Sentinel
Django the Bastard
nailgun massacre
I bought a vampire motorcycle
Beyond the Door 1 & 2
Some Pete Walker flicks?
The burning
The boogeyman
one dark night
la casa series
thanatomorphose
burial ground: Nights of Terror
We are still here
laid to rest
martyrs
Slime City
Devil's Rain
The Devil Rides out
occulus

Yes there are a few on there I'm ashamed I haven't seen yet. I've also done a little bit of pre-game watching of new stuff while I've been working out at night. I've watched:

Demons 3: The Ogre (1988): 1/5 it's pretty lame, and wasn't listed as Demons 3 til the US release like a decade ago, and was originally one of four TV movies by Lamberto Bava. An American family vacationing in Italy. The wife/mother is a successful horror writer and uses the castle they rent to help inspire her next piece. But then strange things start happening leading her to believe the castle is the same as one from her recurring childhood nightmare, wherein a monster stalks her in the basement... It's got some interesting ideas under the surface about meta-fiction and author-created monsters ala In the Mouth of Madness, but it wastes all of the potential and does nothing to it. It also has a very rushed ending.

Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 aka Zombi 3 (1988): 2/5 After a group of terrorists steal a biological weapon from a Philippine/US Army Base, it mutates and causes a severe outbreak of zombosis. A group of young people join together to try to survive the plague. Meh, it's alright zombie fare. There's a lot worse out there. In fact I found myself actually enjoying it more than Fulci's first Zombie Flesh Eaters film. But like it, it's a lot of slowness and poor acting punctuated by a handful of absolutely amazing moments, such as when a zombie head attacks without a body. Also, it's noteworthy that the zombies here are fast, talk, remember who they are, and use tools. The ending you can see coming, but it's still fun.

Also I ended up watching that Bohemian Grove documentary tonight posted earlier. I dunno if that counts. I do like that the filmmaker kinda just has us slide down an ever sharpening slope regarding Alex Jones' sanity. Like, at the beginning they paint him as a smart, sane, responsible person, but just more and more he gets weirder and weirder as the show goes on, culminating in his wackadoo screaming fit at the end. Also, at the time of the documentary, 2000, he's the oldest looking 26 I've ever seen. I'd have pegged him at being close to 50 in the video.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Choco1980 posted:

Man, I'm kicking myself that I've missed this thread solely because it's stickied. :doh:

Anyways, I'm a horror fanatic, and I even have a film degree, but like Pennywise above me, I only come into CD this time of year, cause I'm a single minded nerd. Anyways, last year I went ahead and played the 31 in 31 challenge, with the caveat that it had to be movies that I'd never seen before. I managed to hit 37. I just decided tonight to think big and better myself, getting at least to the 40s. I honestly don't care if this ends up being the 31 in 31 thread, or if it gets its own. Over the last few weeks I've been making a list to try to think up stuff to watch besides the random surprises in Lurdiak's streams (I'll totally do that again this year, it was a blast last year, and I recommend it) and the whim picks off netflix or my rather large collection (which I'm sure is dwarfed by some in here, but I haven't properly cataloged it. I'm sure I'm in the 4 digits by now).

Speaking of which. Lurdiak, do you plan on making your own thread when the season of evil begins?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Speaking of which. Lurdiak, do you plan on making your own thread when the season of evil begins?

Lurdiak posted:

Just wanted to pop in to say that if you guys can't decide on what to watch during October, you're all welcome at the Scream Stream (thread pending), which will be showing Horror/Halloween themed films every weekend for all of October.

Yes, I do.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny how this happens

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, I do.

Any ideas of what showing at the Scream Stream? How often are movies shown?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Watrick posted:

Any ideas of what showing at the Scream Stream? How often are movies shown?

I have the lineup mostly locked down unless a great find or suggestion upsets my plans. This year's theme is going to be modern horror, so everything I'm showing will be from 2000 or later. The stream shows 2 films every Friday, Saturday and Sunday for all of October.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Neat. That pretty much means a much stronger chance than last year of me seeing things for the first time (there were a handful from the stream, but most were old hat and just for me to enjoy and shoot the poo poo with y'all).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, I forgot, remakes are disqualified, so don't worry about having to sit through the NOES remake or House of Wax or anything like that.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot, remakes are disqualified, so don't worry about having to sit through the NOES remake or House of Wax or anything like that.

House of Wax isn't a remake - just the same title. You can show it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

House of Wax isn't a remake - just the same title. You can show it!

No thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

No thanks!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ah, bad CGI. The reason people prefer 80s horor.

Also, I looked into it, and it's totally a remake. Don't lie to me!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's a "remake" that doesn't resemble the original at all except for both involving wax statues, basically.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So this Universal Monsters blu ray set did me in, I couldn't resist getting a jumpstart on the season. I won't write anything up until the new thread starts though.

I'm watching mostly sci-fi horror right now and other stuff that doesn't quite fit in with Halloween 100%. I had the day off of work yesterday and watched Lifeforce and Under the Skin, which make a great double feature for obvious reasons.

In the evening I watched Creature from the Black Lagoon and loved it. If all of the other films in this set look as good as this then I'm in for a great October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's a "remake" that doesn't resemble the original at all except for both involving wax statues, basically.

Remake or not, it's not very good. I watched it for free and I was pissed. I was a projectionist, so no stealing involved.

• Locked thread