Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hot 2 Cold -1 Volatile -1 Dark 1
Harm: 0/4 | Condition:

This has been a lovely day so far. It began at 4 in the morning when I was woken by Emery finally going to sleep. That seemed like as good a time as any to get dressed and help myself to the coffee grounds and banana peel that were lying on the counter, then head off to school. On the way there, I ran into Officer Clint, and we had a nice chat about how his wife was doing after the complications during her recent childbirth and his anxieties about the way his father treated him as a child. He said he'd see me soon and I said not if I see you first. He seemed sad, standing there in the rain as I left. At 5:30 the school janitors arrive, and they leave the backdoor unlocked so they can wheel their trashcans in and out, so I let myself in and got everything ready for Wugou's meeting this morning -- leaving her notes in order and squaring the chairs and adjusting the blinds so no one got sun in their eyes. Interesting agenda they have for today, what with the upcoming athletics festival and the surprise inspection. You'd think such a thing wouldn't be announced ahead of time, but then there are always people who experience time in a different order than others. They're going to see if they can get the weather changed, but I don't like their chances.

After everything was just so, I went hunting for something else to eat. This body can eat, not that it needs to, but the novelty of using the systems is so much fun, I don't think I'll ever get over it. Unfortunately, the janitors had finished changing the trashcans, I didn't want to start in early on my lunch, and stealing out of the teacher's refrigerator seemed impolite. But I did end up right outside the faculty lounge where Mr. Rault and Ms. Yuu were discussing the recent power outages that had swept the city over the past week. Ms. Yuu's whole block had lost power for the entire day, and everyone she's spoken with is baffled as to why its broken down. And unfortunately, because of the storms, it doesn't look like the solar collectors on the roofs are going to be any help. Mr. Rault suspected foreign agents, but he always suspects foreign agents; if he drops his chalk, he thinks its foreigners making extra slippery chalk to discredit him and mock the nation's educators. But to my surprise, the usually even tempered Ms. Yuu agreed with him! The outages seemed too coordinated, too regular, too well-timed to be random machine failures or system breakdowns. I need to know more about this. The AI runs on power, doesn't it? Electricity? Would it use electricity like that, for something really really big? Or could this be someone trying to kill it, and seeing how big of an area they can shut down? Before she could say anything more, Mr. Goldberg entered, and they both got real quiet. They were polite, but that stiff sort of polite I've come to recognize as not actually polite at all. Seelie polite.

And now where the heck is he? Mr. Goldberg is never late. He's so worried about his visa being pulled that he always starts class right on the dot. The only possible infraction he's approached is a few posters on the wall: A kitten doing a pull up on a tree branch with the text "Hang in There, Baby!", a chart showing the development of the nation's flag, a picture of a student writing on a piece of paper juxtaposed with two men in suits shaking hands with the text "Study Hard for Success!", and there's nothing specifically written in the school guidelines about room decoration, just convention.

As usual, I'm here early. The whole crew has filtered in, but without the professor to reign them in, I'm quickly left the only one sitting with his hands folded on his desk. Even Michael, that straight-laced guy who never takes off his junior peacekeeper uniform and never speaks, is milling about. This is really strange!

As was inevitable, one of them makes their way over. My class neighbor, the darling Catherine Lee! It's not often I'll lie to cover for someone, but she's terribly interesting and, perhaps, terribly useful. She might know what's up, or someone who could find out. I'm not quite sure what she's doing with her eyes and her posture, though. Does she not know how to do that correctly? Head at an angle to accentuate the jaw, eye contact that's open and inviting, a confidant smile... Doesn't she watch TV?

"Oh, a delightful week, thanks! I got so much done. How about you? Get up to anything fun?"

Turn someone on vs. Catherine Lee: 2d6+2 11
Mark XP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

XP: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Condition:

"Really, nothing? That's surprising. I'd think someone lik--"

And just like that, I'm being invited to a pool party. A bit rude to interrupt, maybe, but... That is... Huh. I've never been to one of those. What does one do at a pool party? Presumably there is swimming, and I'll need to acquire a bathing costume, since I'm guessing nudity isn't an option, nor will there be leaves to drape one's self in. But the number of folks coming, yes... Yes. This is a good idea. There will be talk, gossip, and if Harmony has this sort of pull among school officials... Perhaps not the most private of places to speak, but certainly less observed than the classroom. And since Catherine seemed to react well to that look, perhaps if I did it again, she could be pushed one way or the other.

"Sure, that sounds like a great time! Just promise not to be any cuter than I am, alright?" He adjusts his tie and smiles.

Accept XP. If Harmony accepts the promise, she marks XP, and I get a string.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Condition:

Morgan smiles. "Well, that should be a sight to see. I'm looking forward to it!"

Checking his watch, he remarks to no one in particular "Boy, Mr. Goldberg is awful late today. I don't want to ruin everyone's fun, but do you think we should check to see if something's going on? Anyone want to join me?"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

XP: 2/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Condition:

Morgan laughs, but it seems good natured enough. "Why not a contest? That'd be fun, right Kev?" He winks at Cheung. "Short notice, I know, but if everyone promises to do their very best, who knows what sort of fun could be had? I'd love to see what creative ideas everyone can come up with."

This, of course, isn't helping him get any closer to the answer's he's looking for. Maybe that's the idea? Would the King know? Morgan leans back, drumming his fingers on the desk rhythmically, as you've seen him do on occasion, eyes closed, daydreaming perhaps? Already thinking about the outcome of his idea, perhaps?

Asking the King of Faerie "Where is Mr. Goldberg? Should I do anything about this, or is it all part of the plan?
Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+1 8
+1 XP -- We'll take confusing and alarming, that seems more in keeping with an entity like that.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Condition:

Morgan blinks a lot, way more times than ought to be necessary, then shakes his head, eyes focused on Mr. Goldberg, like he's looking through him.

Well, he's here now. That's something. But... How? From a boat? That's much too far to get from there to here, isn't it? A symbolic boat, then. His ship coming in? Something he's been waiting for? An office and a factory simultaneously? It he planning a new career? No, no, this is symbolism. It means something else. Think laterally. This would be so easy if I wasn't stuck in this stupid meat robot. A ship, a wall with metal by a rock. A factory. An office. All things with rock, rust, stone, hardness, conformity, order. An underlying structure that is covered with water, flesh... He's pressed into the metal of the wall... Is he... like me now? No, not quite like me. A replacement? A twin brother? But how to be sure? Why would he do that to us? Why would they do that? drat this stupid body and stupid brain. I can't be sure. I need more information. Catherine has information... Perhaps this afternoon will provide opportunities to bring this up, subtly.

"No worries, Mr. G. Family's important. Just please promise not to be late tomorrow, would ya?" He grins that same old winning grin you see every day.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

XP: 3/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Condition:

A long, lingering look. What does it mean? Is he on to me? Does he know I'm on to him? Or, is he here to investigate me, and they've replaced him to investigate replacing me, so they can then put him back in place with a replacement me, to monitor the old him... Arrrgh! No, no, stay calm. Let this horrible thing wash over you. Don't be that person. You've handled such fetches before. It's the body, not the mind, doing these things to you. But the uncertainty...

Cate might know, but she's getting tugged outside by Harmony and there's no way to follow without looking weird. Just have to hold out until this afternoon, then. Oh yes, right. Where does one obtain a bathing costume on short notice? Would there be time to sneak off campus in between now and then? Is fashionably late something that's done among this age cohort? No, no, certainly not.

First, essentials: food comes from the now accessible vending machines, 1000 calories of A1, the button that is quickest to press, and coincidentally enough, the bar that is easiest to eat. Four bars, three bites a piece, done. Then, hunting. Perhaps something acceptable can be scrounged from the men's swim team? Something functional, that won't attract attention, at the very least. A back up plan, if the rushing after school won't work.

School bag over shoulder, a stack of papers in hand for the purposes of appearing to be on Official School Business, and right down the halls. But who is this sliding slyly into the art supply room?

"Hello classmate, fancy seeing you here."
Turn on Ziyou: 2d6+2 4
Ha, ha, nope...
Mark XP

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

XP: 4/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Condition:

"Well, you see an open door, you get tempted---"

to look inside, eh? I was going to say before the door slammed shut behind us with an echoing "Click!" It's a slightly complicated juggle to move the papers from one arm to the other and also check that the door was definitely locked. Yep. Stuck. Trapped. It's not that I don't trust her. It's that...

Okay, deep breath here. Nothing to worry about. It's just a simple human lock, in a human room in school, with regular classmate Ziyou. That's fine. It's nothing like being planted into the roots of Yggdrasil or placed in the Six Sided Box for a thousand years because you spoke out of turn or...

"Ha, yes. I'm fine. Totally fine. I just get a little claustrophobic, sorry."

Turn away from the door and look at the floor, the ceiling, Ziyou, anything but the walls or the locked door. Try to ignore the heady smell of acrylic that's overwhelming the nasal receptors. Try to stay upright and coherent. Don't ask her to paint you a door you can run through, because she'll think you're crazy and she seems like a nice girl who doesn't want to hurt anyone.

"What are you going to paint?" Focus on the conversation, the paint stains on her jeans, the labels on the bottles, anything but being trapped...

If I'm reading Musked right, Ziyou gets a string on me, and I give her a condition, based on her earlier roll, right? I think "Nervous" is most appropriate here.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Close your eyes-- No don't close them. Just remember where you are and stay there. Everything is fine. Everything is absolutely fine.

"That sounds wonderful. You're very good at that, I've seen your work. What colors are you thinking? I'm sorry, you're not seeing me at my best right now. I don't mean to stare, it's just, anything, it helps me focus on, something else. Not--"

King in the Leaves, am I tripping over my words now? This is not good. I need to calm down. I need to relax and think this through.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

"It does, thank you..."

All she's doing is wrapping her arms around my body. Why does it feel like this? What is this reaction I'm having? Such a pleasant warmth even though I'm even more enclosed, safe and secure and... Hugging back is only natural. I'd really rather she never stop. Should I kiss her? At this point, people on TV usually kiss. But that might be a bit too forward. She'd probably stop, get offended, it'd probably hurt her feelings. She's sensitive. No, no, that wouldn't work. Why would she want to, anyways? She barely knows who you are...

What does she want in return? I should do something nice for her. She must really like Harmony if she's going through all the trouble to paint her. How can I engineer getting them together?

Turn on vs. Ziyou: 2d6+2 10
Dense Faerie hugs only complicate matters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

"Ah, Rachel! Lovely, thank you. I don't know whose idea is was to make these doors lock from the inside..."

And like that, Ziyou is gone. That's... unfortunate. I would have rather enjoyed staying like that, and would she have as well? Nah, I doubt it. She wasp probably just being polite. And, oh, that's right, she and Rachel don't get along, do they? I really don't see why not, as Rachel is a friendly, country loving sort, but then, perhaps that could wear on someone. Ziyou seems shy and sensitive. Or... is it not Harmony that Ziyou has a crush on, but Rachel? Can she not make up her mind, and that's why she ran? Goodness, these things are complicated.

"Ms. Williams and I were acquiring some paint. Did you need some also?"

Inadventently hit on everything that moves (Turn on Rachel Brown): 2d6+2 4
Not today

• Locked thread