Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Shadow posted:

Yeah, it was one of those heart wrenchers. In fact, you want someone who thinks "that show is stupid" to watch the show, have them watch the Jurassic Bark, the one with Lela's parents montage showing how they always watched over her, Lars, etc. They usually had at least 1 per season. If you can watch those episodes and not feel anything, then...

Jurassic Bark is so good up until the song at the end. I don't know what it is, but that song is so irritating it completely takes me out of the episode. The episode that always gets me is Luck of the Fryrish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
By all rights Scrubs should have gotten better when JD left because by that point he had devolved into an unfunny caricature of himself and wasn't Turk in charge of the new people? And Turk is good, so... not sure how that got messed up.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

MildShow posted:

Jurassic Bark is so good up until the song at the end. I don't know what it is, but that song is so irritating it completely takes me out of the episode. The episode that always gets me is Luck of the Fryrish.

oh jesus christ... with his nephew/brother?

i loving legitimately got tears in my eyes from that poo poo... it made me long for that kind of connection (im an only child)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Community was on way past its due date. Its amazing how fast it turned to poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

By all rights Scrubs should have gotten better when JD left because by that point he had devolved into an unfunny caricature of himself and wasn't Turk in charge of the new people? And Turk is good, so... not sure how that got messed up.

No, because the previous season has just gone back to the earlier style that made the show good so JD was way down from the cartoon he had become.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shadow posted:

Yeah, it was one of those heart wrenchers. In fact, you want someone who thinks "that show is stupid" to watch the show, have them watch the Jurassic Bark, the one with Lela's parents montage showing how they always watched over her, Lars, etc. They usually had at least 1 per season.

I don't know that those are the best episodes to convince people to watch the show. They're pretty atypical, and probably rely on the audience having some investment in the characters. Something like Love's Labours Lost in Space, Fry and the Slurm Factory, A Head in the Polls, How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back, Parasites Lost or Time Keeps On Slippin' would be better.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I don't know that those are the best episodes to convince people to watch the show. They're pretty atypical, and probably rely on the audience having some investment in the characters. Something like Love's Labours Lost in Space, Fry and the Slurm Factory, A Head in the Polls, How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back, Parasites Lost or Time Keeps On Slippin' would be better.

That's fair.

The slurm factory one was awesome.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Andy Griffith Show wasn't totally terrible after the departure of Don Knotts, but it was certainly a diminished and totally different show. The fact that Aaron Ruben, who was basically the showrunner left at the same time certainly didn't help.

If you're generous enough to concede the Beverly Hillbillies was ever good, it had certainly run out of ideas by the last few seasons.

I don't know when Gunsmoke should have ended, but it was probably around the time the Marshal Dillon's average screen time dwindled to about 8 minutes per episode.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 18, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

The big problem with the Futurama movies is that CC said they were each going to be split up into four episodes. So instead of actually producing movies they just made four episodes that were loosely related.

I could forgive the movies being rough if the actual new episodes were good, but that wasn't the case at all unfortunately. I can't remember the last time my expectations were destroyed so completely and utterly as they were when I turned into the new episodes of Futurama and one of the first ones was a bunch of sub-Family Guy references to iPods and Susan Boyle. Even at the original run's worst I'd take dad jokes about Star Trek over that garbage any day.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I think if there were ever a show that would benefit from some sort of director's cut release, it's Lost. Cutting out the filler and dropped plots of the early seasons, and cleaning and tightening up the later seasons and reducing the show to about 4 seasons would make a huge difference.

It's a shame that television is so disposable because there are so many shows that I would love to have an in-dept post mortem on but never happens because everybody involved is already working on their next project by the time the finale airs and any demand immediately dries up afterward. Like Breaking Bad, the official podcast than ran in conjunction with the show was mostly the minutiae of production and back-patting for the people who worked on the show because they were so worried about spoilers and then the final episode and a fluff magazine article about discarded storylines are all the insight we get into the production before the big fancy series box set is put out and then everybody washes their hands of it and moves on to Better Call Saul.

Terror Sweat posted:

Community was on way past its due date. Its amazing how fast it turned to poo poo

I dunno, season three definitely vanished up its rear end but between Dan Harmon having the show taken away from him and the blow to his ego that came with that, getting a steady girlfriend and a captive audience in the form of his Harmontown shows, and lightening up on the pill-popping it got a little better when it came back. Hell, season 6 was arguably one of the better ones and at the very least Keith David and the Thrilling Adventure Hour chick were a better fit for the show than most of the other cast members that had come and gone over the years.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 18, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

I don't know when Gunsmoke should have ended, but it was probably around the time the Marshal Dillon's average screen time dwindled to about 8 minutes per episode.

Even in the early seasons (Pre-Festus and as well as pre-color) there are episodes where Dillon is almost entirely absent and it focuses on other characters, sometimes even characters that only appear in a couple episodes throughout the gargantuan run of the show.

Regular Law & Order probably should have ended after Orbach died and definitely after Martin left. I can hardly remember any of the later episodes compared to the stuff from early 2000s.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 18, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sleeveless posted:

Even at the original run's worst I'd take dad jokes about Star Trek over that garbage any day.

That's... wow, Futurama really does have a lot of dad jokes, doesn't it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'll admit to liking a bit of the last season, but Frasier was already showing signs of wear by season 7, and I'd have been fine if it had ended with the scene of Niles and Daphne eloping.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Alain Post posted:

I'll admit to liking a bit of the last season, but Frasier was already showing signs of wear by season 7, and I'd have been fine if it had ended with the scene of Niles and Daphne eloping.

Which season was the Fat Daphne season, because geez.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Shima Honnou posted:

Even in the early seasons (Pre-Festus and as well as pre-color) there are episodes where Dillon is almost entirely absent and it focuses on other characters, sometimes even characters that only appear in a couple episodes throughout the gargantuan run of the show.

Regular Law & Order probably should have ended after Orbach died and definitely after Martin left. I can hardly remember any of the later episodes compared to the stuff from early 2000s.

The final two seasons of Vanilla Law and Order were drat good and it's a shame they were too little, too late. Sisto and Anderson were the best team up since Orbach and Martin and Linus Roache owned as the ADA.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Irish Joe posted:

Which season was the Fat Daphne season, because geez.

Season 8, I think.

Also holy loving poo poo Fraiser went until loving 2004.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Season 8, I think.

Also holy loving poo poo Fraiser went until loving 2004.

Fraiser won so many Emmys that after a point Kelsey Grammer actually said during his speech "Stop giving me this award, there are other, better shows on the air"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Those 90s comedy emmys were so stacked. I think '98 was like, Jason Alexander, David Hyde Pierce, Rip Torn, Jeffrey Tambor, and Phil Hartman for supporting actor.

e) and yeah, Fat Daphne was season 8. That's when a lot of writers/producers left the series, too, which, along with general wear-and-tear, was why it went downhill so quickly. IIRC some of them came back for the last season (11) which had some decent stuff.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 18, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Frackie Robinson posted:

The Andy Griffith Show wasn't totally terrible after the departure of Don Knotts, but it was certainly a diminished and totally different show. The fact that Aaron Ruben, who was basically the showrunner left at the same time certainly didn't help.

One character ruined that part of the run: Howard Sprague. I hated that creepy fucker.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

Those 90s comedy emmys were so stacked. I think '98 was like, Jason Alexander, David Hyde Pierce, Rip Torn, Jeffrey Tambor, and Phil Hartman for supporting actor.

poo poo, I would not have been able to ever make my mind up in a vote like that.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
The late great Phil Hartman. Just one of those naturally funny guys, but really normal looking- like Will Ferrell or Fred Willard but combined and turned up to 11.

The Frasier finale was pretty masterful, I thought. My favourite moment might have been Martin sitting in the Eames chair that Frasier originally wanted where he planted his green recliner, and being more comfortable. A decade's worth of Frasier's agita for nothing.

The Fat Daphne was written in because Jane Leeves was pregnant. Different shows hide it in different ways- sometimes they write it in, and other times like Seinfeld, you just get Julia Louis-Dreyfus to carry something in front of her at all times.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The Fat Daphne was written in because Jane Leeves was pregnant. Different shows hide it in different ways- sometimes they write it in, and other times like Seinfeld, you just get Julia Louis-Dreyfus to carry something in front of her at all times.

Or the How I Met Your Mother method, which is have the actress seated at a table at all times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

JLD was pregnant during a season of Seinfeld? You just blew my loving mind because I never noticed or suspected. Holy crap.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The problem with a lot of (American) shows is that as long as they are popular they will keep making seasons, even if the natural ending happened three seasons ago and the show ends up spinning it's wheels. For me, the shows that should have ended long before they did include:

How I met your mother - mentioned before, this show just got very stale very fast, and it sucked that all the supporting characters were more interesting and likable than the main character. I stopped watching the show before the last 2 seasons because I found myself not caring about the mother at all (just like the show itself by the sounds of what happened in the finale) and felt it was just spinning it's wheels until its slow death.

Battlestar Galactica - this was a perfect example of a show more interested in "cool ideas" then actual plots and storylines. The first season was so good, and second wasn't bad either, but by the time it got to the end, the showrunners clearly didn't care anymore and the last season was such bullshit that I didn't care either

Family Guy - mentioned before, this show just sacrificed comedy for mean-spiritedness. It dares you to laugh at unfunny poo poo (like overlong chicken fights and look how mean we are to Meg). I seriously think the show hates it's audiences and wants them to hate the show back.

Supernatural - I have always liked this show, but the last 4 or so seasons were just repeating themselves. Maybe it's binge watching on Netflix but you can see the same plot points appear in each season and it gets boring and annoying after a while.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Frackie Robinson posted:

If you're generous enough to concede the Beverly Hillbillies was ever good, it had certainly run out of ideas by the last few seasons.

Festus-centered episodes are some of the worst things aired on television.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

letthereberock posted:

Or the How I Met Your Mother method, which is have the actress seated at a table at all times.

Sometimes it can really backfire, like when Katy Sagal got pregnant and they wrote it into Married With Children. She then had a fairly late miscarriage and they were stuck trying to figure out what to do. (They decided to write the pregnancy out of the show as a dream sequence.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

Sometimes it can really backfire, like when Katy Sagal got pregnant and they wrote it into Married With Children. She then had a fairly late miscarriage and they were stuck trying to figure out what to do. (They decided to write the pregnancy out of the show as a dream sequence.)

They wiped out the first half of season six as a dream including Marcy's pregnancy. When Sagal got pregnant again, they sent her back home to visit her family for a few episodes.

And on Fraiser, Daphne wrote a letter to Niles letting him know she'd lost 9 pounds 12 ounces so far. That was the weight of Jane Leeves' baby.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

precision posted:

JLD was pregnant during a season of Seinfeld? You just blew my loving mind because I never noticed or suspected. Holy crap.

She got pregnant twice, two separate seasons have her holding a bunch of stuff

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Frackie Robinson posted:

My rankings of black and white era tv go: I love Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, Andy Griffith show.

As far as the topic goes, Suburgatory should have had a 24/26 episode season 2 and tied up everything. They kind of went too mean/stepford wife with some of the secondary but important characters and painted themselves into the corner that led to the weird rear end 14 episode 3rd season where nothing really gets resolved and just kind of dived into strange but not in a good way plot arcs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV39aC4tpzw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shima Honnou posted:

The last few were pretty good.

Also some people say SVU should've ended after Stabler left but it's still been a pretty funny show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FetusSlapper posted:

My rankings of black and white era tv go: I love Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, Andy Griffith show.

As far as the topic goes, Suburgatory should have had a 24/26 episode season 2 and tied up everything. They kind of went too mean/stepford wife with some of the secondary but important characters and painted themselves into the corner that led to the weird rear end 14 episode 3rd season where nothing really gets resolved and just kind of dived into strange but not in a good way plot arcs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV39aC4tpzw

B/W TV is very serious to me and there's no way in hell Beverly Hillbillies/Gilligan's Island can even touch the Andy Griffith Show :colbert:.

(60s TV was the goddamn worst)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I never thought Frasier dipped too far- I'd argue maybe Season 10 dragged , but 8- and the entire "fat Daphne" suplot- is worth it for "Daphne Returns" alone. It was always a good show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alain Post posted:

But then we wouldn't have had one of my favorite moments in the whole drat show: when they reveal they eloped and everyone's all pissed for their selfish reasons and Martin says the only thing he wants to know if they're married, why aren't they on their honeymoon and shuts everyone up instantly :unsmith:

I hated the story arc with the whole Lana thing and loving Kirby who can just go die in an avalanche of hackey sacks. Should have been more episodes with :doom: CAM WINSTON :doom: too

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 19, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It pains me to say this, but Absolutely Fabulous.

Seasons 1-3 are superb- a well written comedy with great banter and slapstick, and it sparked my lifelong crush on Julia Sawalha. They had a planned ending and it was just fine. Later they did a special, The Last Shout, and that was fun too. Season 4, done in late 2001, was a little uneven but had its high points.

But it kinda kept going, and I dunno. It's a show where by nature, nobody changes very much (the whole point is to keep Patsy and Edina from having many redeeming qualities, so they're kept fairly broad), so I think after a while they started to exhaust comic possibilities. The later years are not without their moments (I do like the episode where Saffy puts on a play about her horrible childhood and everyone treats it like a comedy) but they started to focus on really unfunny side characters (Mo Gaffney had a recurring role and her character turned into the oldest, hoariest southern preacher routine you can imagine) to the point where, in the episode where Saffy has a baby, a good portion of the running time is given over to the side characters we don't know much about doing this medley of Chicago songs for no adequately explored reason. (And don't get me started on the kid's father, who was this weird joke of an African engineer who kept talking about plumbing or something.)

It may just be my Sawalha crush talking but I felt like Saffy got short shrift in later seasons- she kinda turned into the show's Meg and didn't give as good as she got anymore.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
MadTV ran until 2009. Holy poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

MadTV ran until 2009. Holy poo poo.

I remember when E! got exclusive rerun rights to SNL, and Comedy Central switched from showing that show to MadTV.

It was a dark day.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Most live action adult swim shows should have been canceled after their first episode, the obvious exception being Eric andre.

Mr. Pickles too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Most live action adult swim shows should have been canceled after their first episode, the obvious exception being Eric andre.

Mr. Pickles too.

Mr. Pickles is not live action?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

It pains me to say this, but Absolutely Fabulous.

I haven't thought about that show in a while but yeah, you're right.

And somehow I don't even remember the "Fat Daphne" season of Frasier :psyduck:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

MTV's Real World probably should have maybe been cancelled after the second or third season. After season 2, I know I just stopped caring about the show entirely. I don't know exactly what changed, but it seems like it felt more scripted after that. I think I heard someone say some of the original showrunners left after Season 3, so maybe that's a reason.

The new format isn't bad. More drama at least. And the chick's and dudes get hotter every year.

Homeland after season 3. Which is when I stopped caring about it after the pentagon got blown up and he had to go live in that shanty appartment complex in some other country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

Mr. Pickles too.

This also applies to most animated Adult Swim shows.

• Locked thread