Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I avoid a lot of TV shows because most of the time it feels like that there's just stuff happening and there's no real theme or arc to events. It's insulting to an audience's intelligence if a show has a long-running major character leave and then just have a new guy replace him as nothing had happened (That 70's Show). Breaking Bad worked because the story had an expiry date, Walt has cancer and one day the other shoe will drop and Hank will find out Heisenberg's identity. The Shield worked because Vic Mackey and friends keep digging themselves deeper with every cover-up, until the day where every little sin falls on Vic's head. What any long-running story needs, either serialised or episodic, is some kind of endgame or exit where all the major characters and themes converge and get some kind of resolution. Dexter had no endgame. He just faced a new killer every season and learnt nothing.

The Simpsons should have ended at 8 and a half seasons, before Maude died and Homer got raped by a panda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Phylodox posted:

Every once in a while I get to thinking, "Man, Family Guy sure is popular. Maybe I should give it another chance!" and, without fail, every time I try to watch it, within minutes of me turning it on, regardless of whether I'm tuning in at the beginning, middle, or end of a given episode, something just staggeringly offensive happens. Whether it's protracted vomiting at the thought of sleeping with a trans woman or an honest-to-god buck toothed, coolie hat wearing Chinese stereotype, it always seems to happen. Either I just have incredibly bad luck or it's just a completely toxic show.

I tried watching a recent episode. My breaking point was when Peter eviscerated a whale with a forklift.

• Locked thread