Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

letthereberock posted:

Weeds will for me always be the prime example of the show that stayed on way past it's welcome. You had the first two fantastic seasons, then a third season where the wheels started to come off and the tone was all over the place, but still mostly solid. Then the third season finale provides the perfect place the end the show; as logical and satisfying a conclusion as could have been imagined..... and then it keeps going for FIVE more tortuous seasons, each one somehow worse than the one before.

And through it all you have the same thing over and over: Nancy makes horrible decision - the brunt of the consequences fall on other people - Nancy gets bailed out by dumb luck and/or the fact that every man on the planet finds her irresistible - Nancy learns nothing - lather/rinse/repeat.

I'm not sure I've ever seen any television other than Weeds seasons 4-8 where the creator/writers are less aware of what a horrible person their protagonist is. Like - it's one thing if a show makes the protagonist awful on purpose. I think it would have been fine if it was like "Weeds is about the terrible woman who constantly makes terrible decisions and needlessly provokes dangerous people which is constantly causing pain and suffering to the people around her until she is saved by dumb luck." But in watching the late seasons of Weeds, I was always getting the sense that from the creators prospective, it was more like "Weeds is about an awesome, sexy, powerful woman who has dangerous, sexy adventures with dangerous, sexy men and if that results in the suffering/injury/death of the various meat-puppets around her then oh well that's just collateral damage in Nancy's quest to be awesome."

Nip Tuck in the exact same way.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think both of those shows had legitimately really good first seasons, but after that they had a massive decline.

Lois and Clark probably should have ended either when Lois discovers Superman's secret identity, she accepts his proposal or with the wedding. The series kept dragging out the wedding, throwing in clones, Lex Luthor and past lives, etc and I think it really derailed the sort of charm the series had up to that point.

Didn't they have some episode where people from the future came back in time and called Lois the dumbest woman on planet Earth? Someone that close to Clark & Superman yet couldn't tell that they were the same person? I found that funny.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't think Boardwalk Empire should have been cancelled at all (and it was not trying to be the new Sopranos in any way, shape, or form) but I rewatched it recently and all the momentum in the show just dies after the third season finale.

Yikes, can't agree with this. Plus the last season might have been my favorite.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Then Vincent D'Onofrio left and it was the shittiest, lamest main character departure I can remember, no one involved in that episode seemed to even give a poo poo. By this point D'Onofrio looked like a fat hobo. Show continued for an awful, miserable season with Jeff Goldblum as the main character. Really they should have just cancelled it. I think I stopped watching here.

I stopped watching CI after a while but it seemed like his character (D'Onofrio) was slowly going through a meltdown and the actor himself seemed to physically support such a storyline. What was the deal with that? Did the actor also have some serious poo poo going on? That or he takes method acting to a whole new level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

He had health problems which was why they did the split character thing in the first place. Then he gained a bunch of weight for a movie part that ended up not happening. BUT D'Onofrio is also known for his extreme method acting, for example in Men in Black he wore braces on his legs in order to make walking more awkward.

His very strange delivery in CI was intoxicating. He had that Columbo feel to him where he'd accept anything people said and then completely butcher them with his sideways glances and weird mannerisms as he picked it apart and made it clear he wasn't the buffoon they took him for. The guy pulled the role off very well.

And yeah, I remember the split. In general I liked that as a concept.

-----

For content, a show that should have been canceled way earlier than it was: That 70s Show. It's really stupid how many shows try to continue after losing their main character. Someone earlier said Robert California (James Spader) was worth Office going on, and I agree to a point, but we really didn't need 2 full seasons (it was 2 right?) without Michael and having to see Jim and Pam smugly lorde over everyone else in the office. They're the ones who should have left, not Michael.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
uh... really? Dexter as a lumberjack?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Luminous Obscurity posted:

It's about his childhood as a young science geek and his wacky sister who always ruins his experiments.

:golfclap:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I couldn't finish Arrested Development S4- primarily because of just how disparate it is with everyone segregated on their own. It's an ensemble cast- it only works when everyone (or at least more than two people) are in the room together. Also because of how much work Portia de Rossi had done. She wasn't bad looking before, but now she just looks like Ben Stiller's wife. Kinda lovely that in the show they make so much of her nose and then IRL she gets a nosejob- I hope that wasn't an influencing factor.

Plus, the S3 finale ties everything together in a neat little box, so perhaps FOX cancelled it at the right time- but they clearly abandoned it before it was expended, forcing it to wrap itself up. Dunno if I'll go back to the new eps, but I'm always looking for something new to watch rather than just rewatching my favourite old shows.

I think they were given advanced notice, that's why a lot of the 3rd season had them joke about HBO or other networks picking them up. Plus they named the last episode "Development Arrested" to have it go full circle (also with it being on the cruise ship).

100% agree on the ensemble cast. I heard that the reason they couldn't afford to bring in more than an actor or two at a time is because they spent upwards of $100million on the first season of House of Cards and didn't have the funds to do AD correctly. A show like that really can't be called in, and I choose to believe that the 4th season didn't happen. It sucked.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Air is lava! posted:

The final season was somewhat better than the one before.
But the actual end was awful.

The final season was BETTER?

It took them 18 episodes to get through 3 days and it dragged on so much that entire episodes had literally nothing occur until the final 2 minutes. That final season was trash.

Sorry but your opinion is wrong!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Imagine how much better the show would have been if they revealed that Robin could fly before the penultimate episode of the series.

I....hmm.

YEAH!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah they really tried to make that story work. Then the actor was like "this poo poo has run its course" and left anyway.

I think they had him join the peace corp and move to Africa.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
The first one was with Lars right? The tentacle heaven thing was dumb.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Same happened with the Family Guy movie. 3 or 4 episodes == 1 movie.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah, it was one of those heart wrenchers. In fact, you want someone who thinks "that show is stupid" to watch the show, have them watch the Jurassic Bark, the one with Lela's parents montage showing how they always watched over her, Lars, etc. They usually had at least 1 per season. If you can watch those episodes and not feel anything, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa6Kv1fOStM

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

MildShow posted:

Jurassic Bark is so good up until the song at the end. I don't know what it is, but that song is so irritating it completely takes me out of the episode. The episode that always gets me is Luck of the Fryrish.

oh jesus christ... with his nephew/brother?

i loving legitimately got tears in my eyes from that poo poo... it made me long for that kind of connection (im an only child)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I don't know that those are the best episodes to convince people to watch the show. They're pretty atypical, and probably rely on the audience having some investment in the characters. Something like Love's Labours Lost in Space, Fry and the Slurm Factory, A Head in the Polls, How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back, Parasites Lost or Time Keeps On Slippin' would be better.

That's fair.

The slurm factory one was awesome.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
In tears? Can you describe the last season, or namely the finale? I stopped watching the show after it kinda lost its mind. It just got so out there with jokes so predictable you'd see them coming 5 minutes before the punch line (no exaggeration. you literally had to sit through 5 minutes of bullshit to get to the punch line you knew was coming). Made me lose respect for Carey.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
i guess that means barbara didn't get violently murdered*. i didn't quite finish s1. i think the last episode I saw had Fish leaving in a helicopter.

* :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
So I guess it's worth watching more than it sucks at this point?

I just started watching Fargo yesterday. Why didn't any of you assholes tell me about this show?!? 10 minutes into the pilot and I was hooked. What a cast and what a story!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

precision posted:

I don't know how you could have been in TVIV anytime in the past year and not seen someone saying that Fargo is the best show since the last best show. But yeah. Season 2 actually looks like it might even be better!
it really is one of the best shows!

:dance:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Are they doing another season of Cosmos? I really hope so.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Huh, I know they rumored to talk of there being a new host (was personally hoping for Bill Nye), but it appears if they do confirm it NdGT would host again, which is awesome.

I'd be just fine with Bill Nye. Tyson was great as well but at times I thought--even though I agree with it--he may have been baiting the religious stupid too much. Catch more flies with honey maybe? Then again, I think Cosmos' real audience is kids to get them interested in science and question, so maybe this is a good thing.

I rewatch season 1 every 4-6 months as I can.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Yudo posted:

While watching I felt he was being a bit on the aggressive side, upon reflection NdGT was just presenting what needed to be: we are all used to walking on eggshells to protect the delicate sensibilities of the religious and climate deniers. For one, it is important to remind people nostalgic for theocracy that it was a thing to get burned alive for wrong think.

Content: Californication. Opinions vary as where Califonication peaked, but in my opinion, it was all downhill after season two and never should have lasted past four. By the end, it was a self referential, wheel spinning mess and I felt bad for all involved.

When she left him the second time I was done. Also I hated how much of a pedestal he put her on. She deserved none of it. She was just as selfish as he was.

I think that was end of season 2? I honestly don't remember. We're probably going back to 2007 or 2008.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Apoplexy posted:

Dexter truly should've been put down after season 4. Lots of people would've been pissed at that, but at least they'd have been spared what came after season 4. Nobody should know that kind of anguish.

I think if post-Rita had 1 last season to end the show it could have ended very strongly. Otherwise, yeah, it loving sucked after then. Worse every episode and every season.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I don't have any qualms with his delivery in the show, although it borders on smarmy trolling of anyone who is religious at times. But since then he's kind of adopted that as his default tone whenever he's in the media and I think if that were to carry over to a second season of Cosmos it would diminish the quality of the show.

Yeah... he almost can't sit still in interviews at this point. :(
Especially when he's on Bill Maher.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

The End posted:

I say him speak on his recent Australian tour. He just gets really excited talking about science in an endearing way. He's a guy who's getting paid to do something he really enjoys, I get the same way when I'm teaching history.

In that regard I agree with you. It is endearing. What I meant by not being able to sit still is he's ready to laugh or ridicule at a moment's notice. It's like he's on edge waiting for it.

When he's talking about science and gets a little huffy and puffy due to excitement, it's great.

When he's interrupting an interview because he's trying to make a tongue in cheek comment, it's annoying. :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Please don't argue about faith in science. It's dumb. :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Speaking of SNL and one example of a show that was canceled way sooner than it should have been: Fridays. They only had 2 seasons back in the early 80s. Michael Richards was on it as well as Larry David. Man on the Moon with Jim Carrey showed the time Andy Kaufman and Michael Richards got very hostile with each other on live TV... and then Jack Burns almost kicked his rear end. I just saw it for the first time recently (it's on Amazon Prime Video I think?) That show was awesome.

Hell, In Living Color was another, but the people who made that show great were getting too famous so ending it only made sense.

Watch Fridays if you haven't.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

precision posted:

When the fresh Hell did they do more than one season per year?!

I think the last season I watched any of was the sixth? It was the one that had a poetry slam guy on it, and I pretty much only watched it cause he was a friend of mine.

Probably multiple cities in a single count as different seasons?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
stop it goonicide is a sin :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

raditts posted:

Yeah, it started to go a bit sour when it got to the point where he wasn't even pretending to be psychic anymore, and the only conflict came from Shawn/Jules drama and moments where the writers suddenly remembered the main concept of the show and were like "Oh yeah, he's supposed to be pretending to do the psychic thing, we should add that to the relationship drama!"

The last episode I remember watching was when some secret masked villain turned out to be his mom. I think it was a season finale and I never went back to it. Can someone one summarize what's happened since?

Also why did Dr. Amber CutThroatBitch get replaced after the pilot?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

EricFate posted:

Yeah. Something like that. Crazy person (Ally Sheedy) was a neighbor who lived a couple blocks away. Eventually they discover she was just covering for her dad (Peter Weller), the true serial killer.

Not sure why I spoilered that. So little of the plotting in the show makes any sense, that even knowing who the characters are and what they eventually do has no actual bearing on how they manage to get there.

this is why i had no issue at all hovering over the spoiler text. plot was beyond irrelevant for that show

i dunno maybe if im bored ill throw it on and continue but it doesn't seem like im missing out if I dont :shrug:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

pentyne posted:

You don't remember the constant "This TOTALLY has something to do with his wife's death JUST KIDDING!"

that's pretty much why I stopped watching. you can only pull that so many times before it gets old. it was a good show but it probably should have gone for the 5 season standard.

how did they end up finishing?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Craig T. Nelson did it, I think.

Timby posted:

Specifically, Craig T. Nelson played a judge who had an affair with Monk's wife before she ever met him, and the affair resulted in an illegitimate child. In order to protect his career, he killed Monk's wife with the car bomb.

What.
The.
gently caress.

So now that he knows, he was.... ok? Bought himself a hot dog from a street car?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
oh good, so the cure is that his wife's estranged daughter who obviously grew up without a mother needs to spend all of her free time around some creepster fuckhead named Adrian.

Cured!

I liked the show but yeah... they could have done better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I wonder how Tony Shalhoub himself feels about how the show ended.

I'm sure everything public was cookie cutter "it was a great ride" HS Yearbook bullshit.

• Locked thread