Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Weeds will for me always be the prime example of the show that stayed on way past it's welcome. You had the first two fantastic seasons, then a third season where the wheels started to come off and the tone was all over the place, but still mostly solid. Then the third season finale provides the perfect place the end the show; as logical and satisfying a conclusion as could have been imagined..... and then it keeps going for FIVE more tortuous seasons, each one somehow worse than the one before.

And through it all you have the same thing over and over: Nancy makes horrible decision - the brunt of the consequences fall on other people - Nancy gets bailed out by dumb luck and/or the fact that every man on the planet finds her irresistible - Nancy learns nothing - lather/rinse/repeat.

I'm not sure I've ever seen any television other than Weeds seasons 4-8 where the creator/writers are less aware of what a horrible person their protagonist is. Like - it's one thing if a show makes the protagonist awful on purpose. I think it would have been fine if it was like "Weeds is about the terrible woman who constantly makes terrible decisions and needlessly provokes dangerous people which is constantly causing pain and suffering to the people around her until she is saved by dumb luck." But in watching the late seasons of Weeds, I was always getting the sense that from the creators prospective, it was more like "Weeds is about an awesome, sexy, powerful woman who has dangerous, sexy adventures with dangerous, sexy men and if that results in the suffering/injury/death of the various meat-puppets around her then oh well that's just collateral damage in Nancy's quest to be awesome."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I remember when I stopped watching the Simpsons around season 11 it felt like is spent most of my life with that show.

It's really weird to me that there have been more episodes made since I stopped watching then there were the entire time I watched it.

Content: I've often wondered it Parks and Recreation would have been better served if it ended after Leslie won the city council election. While there were some great episodes after that, it did start to feel like the show was kind of crawling up it's own rear end after a while.

letthereberock fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 13, 2015

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The Fat Daphne was written in because Jane Leeves was pregnant. Different shows hide it in different ways- sometimes they write it in, and other times like Seinfeld, you just get Julia Louis-Dreyfus to carry something in front of her at all times.

Or the How I Met Your Mother method, which is have the actress seated at a table at all times.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

The Drew Carey Show

Once the character of Kate (Christa Miller) left the show flew off of the rails with reckless abandon. That said, the show was already cruising into weird territory even before that.

The show started as a workplace buddy comedy with a lovable loser just trying to get a corporate leg up but then once Drew was allowed more creative control we'd have the random sing song cold opens and live shows and April Fool's gag shows.

It all started in good silly fun but then the show began to lean more and more upon those tropes. Characters did the whole "who is zooming who?" with relationship roulette which is always the kiss of death.

If I had the power to kill the show, it would be the season with Kate Walsh gradually transforming into an obese disaster. The whole song and dance number in the refrigerator and ending with Kate Walsh's character seeing herself in a make shift sex tape. The Drew Carey Show was always a bit out there and I'm sure this season was a nod to Drew Carey's battle with weight at the time but it just lacked funny and took a huge tangent from where the show started.

What always bothered me about this show was that Mimi's hatred of Drew never made any sense. Like, in the first episode she just decides for no apparent reason she hates him and that's it. But every season there would be a handful of episodes where they would need to work together against a common enemy, and they would - and then next episode they'd be right back to hating each other again. After a while they had worked together so many times that their ongoing feud made no sense anymore.

• Locked thread