Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sliders. What in the gently caress happened here? Why did anyone keep watching it after John Rhys-Davies left? Did people actually give a poo poo about the Cro-Mags and/or Jerry O'Connell's evil twin (that did happen, right?)

Because you know, it actually was cancelled once, and yet there were so many Sliders fan sites (????) or whatever to make the Sci-Fi Channel want it to be one of their showcase productions? Only they stripped everything about the show that was fun (what if it was Earth, but like, some weird evil group of people are in control, like the Pope or something!) They replaced it with actual plot arcs and episodes-spanning developments, which were universally terrible across the board. They brought in Kari Wuhrer because I guess they thought "guys who jerked off during MTV's Remote Control when they were 10" was a prime demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

Always Sunny has had some really strong episodes past season 5.

Seinfeld didn't even really hit its peak until seasons 6-9.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Then Chris Noth left and was replaced by Jeff Goldblum. Show started getting seriously terrible. Should have been put to death immediately.

The Goldblum episode where the criminals are a bunch of white hipsters living in a Brooklyn loft and Goldblum goes to a punk club and gets the "WHATEVER GRANDPA" treatment, and then he sits down at a keyboard and rocks the gently caress out on it for five straight minutes (and this is actually Jeff Golblum improvising) was loving awesome.

Never cancel SVU because it will never stop being embarrassingly hilarious and insane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pron on VHS posted:

The Office (US) became a lot less funny after Jim and Pam got together, and became completely unfunny once Sabre bought Dunder Mifflin, at which point there were still 3 full seasons to come!

The episodes with Spader being full Spader where okay, but even if you hated the entire show it at least had the courtesy of having a pretty drat terrific final episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the bigger problem with That 70s Show was "uh, what're they gonna do after high school?" They threw a bunch of ideas at it but none of them were good and they kept the worst ones (Kelso becomes a cop, etc)

Like they almost had the right idea with Hyde being a record store clerk but they managed to screw that up too. And all the stupid poo poo with Fez.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xoidanor posted:

Oh my god, I did not know that this was even a thing. :stare:

You didn't know 21 Jump Street existed? You thought the movies were original properties? Or you didn't know about the post-Depp seasons?

I think the first 2 seasons of that show were good, but speaking of cop shows that went on too long, Miami Vice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Friday Night Lights season 2 is bad, but not unwatchable by any means. I mean if you were gonna watch the whole show I wouldn't really say to skip it even though yes some of the poo poo that happens gets retconned because it's so dumb.

It still has some great moments due to the acting quality.

And seasons 3-5 are great so it definitely shouldn't have been cancelled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't keep up with that show very much, but it seemed to me like the actual episode quality didn't really decline too much until the last season or two, it just happened to have used the absolute most dogshit ending possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
By all rights Scrubs should have gotten better when JD left because by that point he had devolved into an unfunny caricature of himself and wasn't Turk in charge of the new people? And Turk is good, so... not sure how that got messed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

Those 90s comedy emmys were so stacked. I think '98 was like, Jason Alexander, David Hyde Pierce, Rip Torn, Jeffrey Tambor, and Phil Hartman for supporting actor.

poo poo, I would not have been able to ever make my mind up in a vote like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The Fat Daphne was written in because Jane Leeves was pregnant. Different shows hide it in different ways- sometimes they write it in, and other times like Seinfeld, you just get Julia Louis-Dreyfus to carry something in front of her at all times.

JLD was pregnant during a season of Seinfeld? You just blew my loving mind because I never noticed or suspected. Holy crap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

It pains me to say this, but Absolutely Fabulous.

I haven't thought about that show in a while but yeah, you're right.

And somehow I don't even remember the "Fat Daphne" season of Frasier :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Northern Exposure should have hard cut to black after the first episode of the final season (the one where Joel dreams an alternate New York where all the people from Sicely are his friends/neighbors). The episodes where he becomes a hobo shaman are, you know, kinda interesting and soooooo quirky but the town's new doctor and his wife sucked and the show had clearly lost almost all of its magic very quickly. It's particularly odd because everything in seasons 2-5 is pure solid gold, probably my second or third favorite run of a network TV comedy/drama ever. And season 6 has just enough good stuff in it (Holling's episode, Chris finally getting his degree) to make it all the worse when viewed as a whole.

Plus the season 5 finale was a perfect hour of television. S06E01 could have served as a web-exclusive "epilogue" if it had been possible at the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite line in later-era Cheers is when Woody says something like "Huh, she was on a hit show and decided to leave... why would someone do that?" His delivery sells what would otherwise be a stupidly self-aware joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saying Gotham is especially dumb since the season 2 premiere actually was really, really good. Even Barbara was good in it!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shadow posted:

i guess that means barbara didn't get violently murdered*. i didn't quite finish s1. i think the last episode I saw had Fish leaving in a helicopter.

Barbara is basically the female Joker now. Also the actual child Joker is one of her minions. They've been made into a sort of "suicide squad" if you will. Fish is off the show (for good, I hope). Penguin is in charge of crime for now. Bullock is a bartender for now. Gordan did a bad, bad thing. The Riddler is almost happening. Bruce found the Batcave. Penguin said that having Cat Girl around is "like having a cat around".

I think they listened to everyone saying that they need to accelerate the plot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know how you could have been in TVIV anytime in the past year and not seen someone saying that Fargo is the best show since the last best show. But yeah. Season 2 actually looks like it might even be better!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Peter Dinklage has a good "NPR voice" as heard in video game Destiny so he'd be cool for Cosmos.

Honestly McFarlane's regular voice isn't that bad either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I hope they go with Nye. NdGT was great in S1, but he's high on his own supply at this point and should probably chill before he goes the way of Dawkins as far as being a obnoxious atheist just baiting anyone who disagrees with him.

Wait what? Did Tyson change his attitude recently, because he used to be the "I'm not an atheist, I just don't care about that stuff at all" guy who hated capital-A Atheists like Dawkins. :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

It's gonna be hilarious to see Family Guy outlive the Simpsons.

Fixed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

By the time In Living Color went off the air, the Wayanses had all been long gone. I think the cast was mostly white people at that point too.

It had also gotten pretty unfunny from what I recall. Not Mad TV levels of unfunny, but still.

Speaking of which, MadTV should have been cancelled... probably after one season. I don't even remember if it was ever funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I assume you mean "post-90s SNL" because Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Jim Belushi, Eddie Murphy, Chris Farley, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, etc etc

One could even argue that SNL was the only time Dana Carvey was funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

red19fire posted:

Real World is on its 30th season.

When the fresh Hell did they do more than one season per year?!

I think the last season I watched any of was the sixth? It was the one that had a poetry slam guy on it, and I pretty much only watched it cause he was a friend of mine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While the last few seasons of House were generally letdowns, I don't really think it ever became "bad" and I quite liked the way the finale wrapped it up.

Though I really wish we had gotten that season of House being a doctor in Jamaica or Mexico under a false name.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

That would've been the worst ending until Dexter.

Actually ending it a season early like a lot of people wanted to would've been the worst ending until Dexter (reminder: this is where he crashes his car into his boss's house and the last scene is him on a tropical island somewhere).

when you think about it, House and Archer are basically the same show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The End posted:

I don't know if I'm in a minority on this one, but I thought the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest series 6 opener was really interesting...

No I'm pretty sure everyone sane agrees that was one of the series' high points, maybe even THE high point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd say that the third season of Chuck was, on balance, total garbage. And I liked the first two seasons fine.

Season 4, or whenever Jeffster become spies, was dumpster fire tier

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Small Town Security was mockumentary, honestly

Also nothing beats "bottom of the barrel" like Mustache Wars

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gaunab posted:

Apparently, it's just called Cursed. Bunk was in it. Also Chris Elliot.

quote:

The show's theme song was written and performed by Liz Phair.

How did I never hear of this before :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

But the girlfriends on BBT are like the best part of the show. I would totally watch a spinoff that's just Penny, Amy, and Bernadette.

The few episodes of that show I have seen, I thought that Penny, Amy, Bernadette and Leonard were the only likable ones at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that Monk probably only needed one or two seasons. Instead we got like 30 seasons. I still can't quite figure out why that show was so popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remember the character of Monk more than I remember the show's plots at all. I vaguely remember one at a wine tasting.

• Locked thread