Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ComposerGuy posted:

Plus, honestly, is there any show out there that got objectively better past its 5th season? I'm sure there are one or two, but those would be serious outliers.

The last season of the Sopranos was probably the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Law & Order: Criminal Intent was pretty good the first few seasons. I want to say it was seasons 1-4 that were pretty good.

It started getting bad when Chris Noth joined the cast, although I think that first season with him wasn't too bad.

Then they changed showrunners and the show became real bad. The writing was awful, the visual style changed, just bad all around. Should have cancelled it, but there were still a few good episodes here and there.

Then Chris Noth left and was replaced by Jeff Goldblum. Show started getting seriously terrible. Should have been put to death immediately.

Then Vincent D'Onofrio left and it was the shittiest, lamest main character departure I can remember, no one involved in that episode seemed to even give a poo poo. By this point D'Onofrio looked like a fat hobo. Show continued for an awful, miserable season with Jeff Goldblum as the main character. Really they should have just cancelled it. I think I stopped watching here.

And then I guess someone decided that the whole departure had been a mistake, and they did one last season where D'Onofrio and his partner came back with no explanation given to how they were back (I think they'd both been fired from the police when they left the show).

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I don't think Boardwalk Empire should have been cancelled at all (and it was not trying to be the new Sopranos in any way, shape, or form) but I rewatched it recently and all the momentum in the show just dies after the third season finale.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Breaking Bad worked because the story had an expiry date, Walt has cancer and one day the other shoe will drop and Hank will find out Heisenberg's identity. The Shield worked because Vic Mackey and friends keep digging themselves deeper with every cover-up, until the day where every little sin falls on Vic's head. What any long-running story needs, either serialised or episodic, is some kind of endgame or exit where all the major characters and themes converge and get some kind of resolution. Dexter had no endgame. He just faced a new killer every season and learnt nothing.

Dexter had the same theoretical endgame as all those shows: family member / the authorities finding out about you.

It's just they botched it because they loved Dexter too much.

• Locked thread