Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ront the orc spends a bit too much time looking towards Emen. He's happy to reply about the lift.

"The lift is on the far side of the outpost, away from the guard tower and shrine stalactites, closer to the barracks where the drow (rarely) rest.

A pair of quaggoth guards remain by the lift at all times and wait for signals from below to lower the basket. They don't seem very intelligent.

The basket will fit about four people, quite snugly. Someone would have to remain behind and lower the basket - which is pretty hard to do by oneself, but easier with help and additional muscle. It takes a couple of rounds for the basket to reach the bottom or come back up. I'm not sure what a round is though.

Oh and you should take me. More orcs is always better, and I can see in the dark further than any of you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

HP: 1/8 AC12

Kharkad files the information away and concentrates on his most pressing issue.

Derro, he thinks at Buppido while he works. Have you heard of the Codex of Gumiranbul? I was looking for it in this area, more specifically looking for an old duergar fort called Dug Uluhm. There's knowledge in there that I need."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Buppido shrugs and replies through telepathy.

Never heard of it, but if it's a duergar thing, someone at Gracklstugh might know. I know how to get there...

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

HP: 8/8 AC12

Then our interests are aligned. We help each other out of here and get to Gracklstugh.

Kharkad continues to work, but surreptitiously analyzes the rock formations around him, especially the stalactites, to see if he can see any sort of structural weakness that can be exploited. Would be beautiful if I could send the whole thing crashing to the ground.

quote:

Seems like Investigation is the pertinent skill ("Investigation. (...)or determine the weakest point in a tunnel that could cause it to collapse." PHB178)

Structural Analysis: 1d20+4 15

<Ritorix>: oh yeah, kharkad can do a hit die

Hit Die: 1d6+2 7 :boom:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Marros
9hp

Marros will relay the information about equipment and guard tower to his new friends, either through Stool spores or his Awakened Mind when in sight of the others

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Down the waterfall Coop goes. The other prisoners don't try to stop him, morbidly curious if the escape plan will work. It doesn't even attract the attention of the guards...at least, not yet.

First, the good news! Falling out of the drow outpost isn't an instant-death situation almost no matter where you go. The only 'lethal' fall would be from the lift, onto hard ground. Everything else will either hit the pool of water, or a spider web. I'm sure the webs would be a soft landing.

Now, the not-so-good news. Drow have been taking water from the falls and dumping their waste below for as long as this outpost has been around. All that refuse has to go somewhere, and little in the Underdark goes to waste. Years of free food from the sky have fed a gorgeous specimen of gray ooze.

Coop's barrel hits the pool 100' down, bursting from the force. Coop himself survives the fall without a scratch, though he's now in the center of the pool. It's 15' to the edge of the water. Right next to you is the ooze, and it's quite happy at the big meal coming down the chute. Coop has to flee or fight off the ooze with nothing but his 'underarmor', a few broken planks from the barrel, and maybe a wet towel or two.

An insane telepathic voice cries out at Coop, "Flesh for the Faceless Lord!! NomNoMnOmNOm!"

ooze initiative: 1d20-2 -1

Coop can't lose to the ooze. Take a turn.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Coop
12hp

Coop is tired of throught intrusion. A mushroom and now an ooze! Well back at the station they had a way to block mind reading and divinations and it was called lead-based paint, or glaze, in the case of ceramic pottery like the (clean) chamber pot Coop also packed away in his escape pod. He pulls the thing over his head like a tinfoil cap, and cautiously retreats from the gray ooze, with his barrel top for a shield and twisted wet towel as a whip, or "cloth staff."

Disengaging and moving away 30', keeping the waterfall between me and the ooze since it's probably noisy enough to block the blindsight. The pot who knows might help with the telepathy.

The half elf also waves at the other washers to follow him down the waterfall in their own barrels. If they aren't as lucky as he is with the fall it'd be a shame, but it'd probably keep the ooze off his back at least.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 15, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The ooze, uh, oozes towards Coop, and tries to smack him with a pseudopod of oozy gray ooze. You notice the ooze is staying just inside the water, while you managed to make it to the shore knee-deep (and enough to avoid disadvantage or whatever).

Pseudopod vs coop: 1d20+3 8 1d6+1 5 2d6 9. It flails feebly and misses. With a disengage again you can easily get away. Maybe someone else will jump in and be easier to catch?

Way above the ooze drama, a bunch of folks are considering jumping too. They listened carefully and didn't hear any horrible death cries over the sound of the water. Maybe this was their chance? Derendil, Sarith and Topsy look at Melimdil and each other, seeing who will go first. It will have to be quick if they go at all; in moments the guards will notice their slaves going overboard and raise the alarm. That will spell trouble for everyone else.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

well crap now I really wish I was with those guys

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen
HP:13

"So the lift leads away from this mess, that's the best news I've heard in quite some time. Seeing as you've helped plan this I'll be glad to take you with me when when we make our move but for now we should probably focus on ironing out the details."

Noticing Kharkad focusing on the details of their prison Emen reaches out to him via telapathy "My friend Ront has information regarding the lift that may prove helpful in an escape attempt, do you have any information that would be of assistance in getting out of here in one piece."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Folks by the lift hear a weird buzzing sound coming from the cavern. There's a crash of rock too. It's in the distance. Your quaggoth guards seem distracted and nervous by the noises.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Oh yeah, and Kharkad can tell that the stalactites are hollowed out, so aren't very stable. They weren't really solid stone in the first place. Sufficient force could snap one off (or punch a hole through), but it would take a lot more than a punch.

The easiest way to break one is probably just a lot of weight inside.

The various rope walkways would also be easy to cut off, if you had a blade.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 15, 2015

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Melimdil
9 HP

As Coop hurtles himself over in a dramatic show of derring-do and stupidity, Melimdil panics for the briefest of moments, before realizing what an opportunity he's now got. To the others in his party, he quickly sends a message: Quick! Find something sharp, and aim for the webs! We'll never get a better chance than this! He then scans his surroundings hastily, trying to grab whatever he can find that might be of immediate use, before hurling himself over the walkway and down towards the webs.

Persuasion to Get Some Help: 1d20+1+2 21
Perception For Something Useful: 1d20+2+3 10

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Monk E posted:

Emen
Noticing Kharkad focusing on the details of their prison Emen reaches out to him via telapathy "My friend Ront has information regarding the lift that may prove helpful in an escape attempt, do you have any information that would be of assistance in getting out of here in one piece."

HP: 8/8 AC12 HD:0d6 Spells 2/2

Kharkad thinks back at Emen: The stalactites are structurally unsound and could be compromised if enough force were applied to them. It would take more than simple manual labour, however. Perhaps a Thunderwave spell, or Earth Tremor. Perhaps even a Mold Earth in the right spot. Too bad I never learned any of those... Could also do it by putting a lot of weight inside, I guess.

Oh, and I've hidden away about five feet of silken rope on my person. Could be used to strangle someone, I guess.

[Ritorix, how many are guarding this group? Are they close to the ledge? I'm thinking if there are just 2-3 and they're by the ledge, we could work together to push them off.]

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 15, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Sarith balks at first. "You want to jump? Are you insane? The spiders will..."

Suddenly from behind the group, a few quaggoths start bellowing out in alarm. Oh poo poo!

It's now or never. Derendil, Sarith and the deep gnome Topsy leap over the ledge right after Melimdil.

~~~~

Over by the lift, Kharkad only counts 2 quaggoths next to the lift. A hearty push might send them tumbling below...but they are pretty brutish, and they can push right back. Normally, at least. Right now they seem more concerned about the increasing buzzing and crashing coming from further in the cavern. They are shouting out in alarm, a deep bass bellow that echoes through the cave and is repeated by the other quaggothi. I just made 'quaggothi' up.

~~~~

Marros and his cleaning crew are in the middle of the outpost near the stalactite housing when their quaggoth guards echo the alarm. It sounds like all hell is about to break loose. You might be able to take advantage of the situation while your guards are distracted.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Melimdil and the other prisoners plop right into the thick, sticky webs. From here you can safely jump into the water (otherwise you'll die from falling damage), but the webs aren't so willing to let go. To escape their stickiness you need a DC12 strength check.

If you fail, you'll lose a round. Keep rolling until you get a 12 so I can know how many rounds it will take you to break free. Obviously all the struggling will attract attention of the eight-legged sort.

While stuck in the webs, you count as 'restrained' and the webs count as difficult terrain. That just makes you easier to devour.

Derendil strength check: 1d20+3 23. What a beast.

Topsy strength check: 1d20 2.
Topsy strength check 2: 1d20 13. Stuck for a bit.

Sarith strength check: 1d20 6.
Sarith strength check 2: 1d20 16. Also stuck a bit.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen
HP:13

Seeing as their preparation time was apparently over Emen telepathically informed the nearby prisoners of the weakness in the stalactites Kharkad found and began to push the nearest one hoping to spur them into action.

strength check with advantage : 1d20+2 20 and 19

Monk E fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 16, 2015

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Melimdil
9 HP

As the web cushions Melimdil, he begins to intensely regret the brashness of his decision. Days of torture and malnutrition catch up with him, and he is able to thrash only feebly against the sticky bonds, growing increasingly more desperate as his co-conspirators free themselves.

Four failures, then:
Strength vs. Webs: 1d20+0 19

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Majuju posted:

Four failures, then:
Strength vs. Webs: 1d20+0 19

That is unfortunate.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

BOY I'LL SAY

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Derendil bursts free from the webs immediately, but looks to his fellow elf still struggling. The quaggoth/elfprince makes his way over to Melimdil.

"I'll not leave a fellow elf to these webs!"

Amusingly, he said that a round before the drow broke free, but drow don't really count.

On round 2, the drow and deep gnome break free at the same time, and both go diving into the pool without a glance back at the elves. Splash they go into the water. This is well after Coop has gotten away from the ooze, which is now back at pool's center awaiting a meal. How convenient. I'll deal with them in a bit.

It's about time for a giant spider to show up, checking its web to see what all the vibrations are about.

Derendil is at Melimdil's side. He readies an action to attack if the spider gets close. Now, Derendil is a quaggoth, which is basically a yeti-like creature. Actually, they kinda look like the morlocks from Time Machine, with a similar 'forced underground, went feral' backstory. So it's pretty scary, and the spider isn't ready to attack all by itself.

Round 3 rolls around. Melimdil struggles still. Two more giant spiders show up.

Round 4: Strength in numbers. Now they attack...
First up, Derendil might get tangled up in the webs. Derendil's web checks: round 2/3/4/5: 4#1d20+3 15 9 23 11. He's not tangled on round 4, but he won't have a ready action, then he gets tangled up on round 5.

Now for the pain. 3 spider bites vs Derendil: 3#1d20+5 13 11 13 3#1d8+3 9 9 11. Two hits for 20 damage. Ouch. Derendil is pretty annoyed. Derendil is packing a nasty set of claws, so he puts them to use.

Derendil vs giant spider: 2#1d20+5 18 22 2#1d6+3 6 7. Both hit for 13 damage. Spider is halfway dead. We used to call this bloodied, in better times.

Round 5: Melimdil escapes the webs with his action. You still have a move left. The spiders are still busy with Derendil, but it looks like he is about to get tangled in the webs. If you start your turn in the webs, you also risk getting tangled up. What do you do?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Let's check in on the ooze.

Coop, up to you how far you've gone, or if still in sight of this.

Topsy the gnome, and Sarith the drow, both hit the water at the same time. The ooze hungrily lunges for one of them. Using time-tested methods I will see who get eaten first.

Sarith or Topsy?: 1d2 1. The drow wins an ooze.

But it's not the ooze's day. Ooze vs Sarith: 1d20+3 9 3d6+1 12. He misses another free meal.

In a panic, Sarith drops a darkness spell and swims away. Critical error. Oozes don't need to see, so it gets an opportunity attack with advantage, since not even darkvision works in darkness.

Hilariously, the drow still gets away: ooze vs Sarith: 2d20k1+3 10 3d6+1 11. It misses.

A ball of darkness hangs over the water, awaiting more victims.

Escaped PCs: Coop
Escaped NPCs: Sarith, Topsy

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Back at the drow outpost, a bunch of slaves are throwing all their weight into pushing a stalactite. Madness?

Eldeth, Buppido, Ront and Emen all give it a heave. Hairline fractures appear all over the top of the stalactite. The poor thing has been hollowed out, inhabited with drow, nice furniture and crap stacked within, and this was the final straw.

With a final heave, a thunderous crash sounds and the whole thing gives way. The scream of a lone drow can be heard falling 100 feet to his doom, piercing through webs and colliding into the rocks far below. The boom is deafening, echoing throughout the cavern and throwing up a tremendous cloud of debris.

Quaggoth and drow are running all around, but they aren't coming at the vandals. Why? The cause of that weird buzzing sound is now in range.

Four giant, demonic flies are chasing what looks like a pair of vulture-men. The six creatures are flying through the air, fighting each other with claws and beaks.

Whatever they are, the drow seem to be fully occupied with repelling them. If you are still up at the outpost, you had better do something fast!

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Melimdil
9 HP
Spells: Lv1:1

Melimdil watches as the self-sacrificing elf-turned-quaggoth rushes to his defense. He redoubles his efforts to free himself, eventually getting the webs untangled from the majority of his body. Wincing in second-hand pain as the spiders close on Derendil, he calls on what divine power he can muster in a pinch, makes a quick gesture, and utters a tiny prayer. A moon sigil forms itself, projecting from Derendil's forehead, and its silvery light glows softly against the webs. Its radiance keeps the spiders at bay, though how effectively, he cannot tell.

With a shout of "Derendil! I'm free! Drop!!!", he slips through the web and drops towards the pool.

Bonus Action: Cast Sanctuary on Derendil. For 1 minute, enemies must make a Wisdom save DC 13 to be able to attack him, or be forced to choose another target.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

sorry for the delay!

Marros
9hp

Marros is going to tell the others in the cleaning crew "sounds like this our chance! Go go!" Time to do a quick search and grab anything remotely useful (weapons, food, bags, anything really) and run out to find the others. If he makes it in time to figure where they went, dive over after them.

searching for helpful items in quarters (investigation): 1d20+1 20

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Marros you've got your choice of which place to loot. There's probably only time to hit-and-run one.

Either the Lolth temple/priestess stalactite, or the guard post one. All the guards probably cleared out to deal with the invaders and the chaos going on, and they would have weapons and whatnot. The temple or priestess quarters would have more valuable stuff, but probably not as practical.

Either way I'll take the 20 into account.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Derendil spends his action trying to free himself again. No sense in trying to attack while restrained and sanctuaried.

Derendil escapes the web on 12: 1d20+3 5. Nope, still restrained.
Giant spiders' wisdom saves: 3#1d20 15 4 3. One gets to attack, the other two back away from the weird magic.
Giant spider with advantage v Derendil: 2d20k1+5 18 1d8+3 9. Hits for 9 more. 29 damage so far to Derendil. Still kicking.

Hopefully he can escape before he dies.

Meanwhile, Melimdil hits bottom. There's still a goddamn grey ooze, and it's really hungry and pissed that it keeps missing every tasty bit that floats by. I'll give you the same courtesy I gave Coop, an init roll.

Grey ooze initiative: 1d20-2 11.
Mel initiative: 1d20+2 10. Uh oh.

Mel falls right into the drow's darkness spell. With no armor you are probably AC12. Grey ooze vs Mel: 2d20k1+3 20 3d6+1 14 damage. Some of that is acid damage, but who's counting? The ooze whacks Mel so hard he falls unconscious in the water. He'll need a rescue if he's going to survive this one.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
9hp

As nice as weapons would be, hitting the Temple to hopefully grab spellbooks and components our spellcasters need. I doubt I could carry enough swords to make a difference.

Yeah, totally selfish.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Chaos is running wild through the drow compound. Flying demons are battling each other, battling drow, battling quaggothi all over. Some quaggoth seem to have been overcome by the buzzing sound coming from the fly-demons, rendering them unconsious. Rushing into the fray are a pair of drow priestesses: Ilvara, and another whom you've heard called Asha, the junior priestess. Along with them are the elite warriors you've seen before. They seem to be making a stand, battling the demons with Lolth-granted magic.

It's a good thing none of them notice you looting their sacred temple.

Marros, Stool, Turvy, Shuushar and Jimjar rush into the temple and start grabbing what they can. There's a weird spider statue in the center of the room, that almost looks real but has gems for eyes.

Who's the unlucky bastard?: 1d4 4.

Jimjar reaches for the eyes, but screams in surprise as a real giant spider leaps out from behind the altar.

Spider vs Jimjar: 2d20k1+5 17 1d8+3 4 2d8 13. poison save: 1d20 2 failed. It bites the gently caress out of him and poison takes hold, coursing through his veins. Jimjar screams in agony and drops the gems.

Stool and Shuushar flee immediately. Turvy, the other deep gnome, doesn't help his fellow gnome - instead, he dives down an opening leading deeper into the stalactite. There must be another room down there.

Marros sees a backpack behind the altar. Sticking out of it is an ornate book, a few glass vials, and a silver headdress. He could grab it and run, try to save the gnome, or flee without any loot. There's also the trapdoor that the other gnome dove into, if you want to go deeper into the stalactite.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

HP: 8/8 AC12

Is the dwarf'n'orc group free to loot a place, too? If so, I'm hitting the guard post and taking as much armor and weapons as I can carry. Then I cast Creat Bonfire to set it on fire on my way out. gently caress drow.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

After briefly considering grabbing the bag and splitting, Marros has a moment of "I might as well do one thing right with my life" and fires an Eldritch Blast at the spider.

Eldritch Blast at spider: 1d20+5 12

If it connects:
Eldritch Blast damage: 1d10 1

Woop.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
(1:55:04 AM) slydingdoor: you should blame ritorix for making the drow an idiot who casts darkness to escape something with blindsight
(1:57:09 AM) slydingdoor: Ritorix: can I make the idiot drow stop concentrating on the useless darkness spell w/o an action?

Yep, and I'll assume Coop does just that. A smack on the back of the head breaks the drow's concentration and the darkness goes away, showing an ooze oozing all over Melimdil.

Meanwhile, team dwarfs n' orcs loot every goddamn thing in the guard tower.

quote:

Treasure
The contents of the armory include the following:
• 6 chain shirts
• 6 suits of studded leather armor
• 6 shields
• 6 hand crossbows
• 20 cases of hand crossbow bolts, each case containing
20 bolts
• 6 shortswords and 10 daggers
• 6 bags of caltrops (20 caltrops per bag)
• 4 100-foot-long coils of silk rope
• 2 building hammers (not usable as weapons)
• 2 bags of iron spikes (10 spikes per bag)

There's no time to put armor on, so it's grab-and-go. The whole loving place is on fire as Kharkad and fellow prisoners rush out of the guard tower. Sounds of battle are still going on in the distance. Are you going over the edge into the webs?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Coop
12hp

"Try not blinding everyone to run away from something without eyes next time." Coop says without a hint of sarcasm, clapping the drow on the shoulder. Then he baywatches back into the pool and drags Mel away from the ooze, maybe healing him as well depending on theater of the mind and initiative and poo poo.

If he didn't miss his turn and get get away from the ooze himself I'll just pull him out of its reach then Lay on Hands for 2. If he did miss his turn I'll carry him as far away from the ooze as I can with Dash.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Coop - going in and grabbing the elf would put yourself at risk of an oozy tentacle. Worth the risk?

~~~

Marros completely misses the spider. Jimjar gets up, disengages, does a cunning action dash, and gets the gently caress out of dodge. Now it's Marros and a giant spider.

Spider v marros: 1d20+5 23. Hits.

Spider damage: 1d8+3 5 2d8 6. The first bit is piercing, the second part is poison damage. DC11 Con save to avoid it. Marros CON save: 1d20+1 6. Nope. Marros drops to 0.

This poison is special. When it drops a target to 0hp, the victim becomes paralyzed. You don't have to do death saves, but you do have to watch as you are devoured.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Team Dwarfs+Orcs:

At the next stalactite over, you see Jimjar the deep gnome running out the door, trying to catch up with the mushroom-man and fish-man. That was the work detail Marros was on, but there's no sign of him.

You do notice Jimjar is dripping some blood. Ewww.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

It already used its op attack on the dumbass drow.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I lost track of time in this mental theater.

Mel gets pulled out of the oozy pit and gets 2HP worth of hand-laying.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Well crap, that's what I get for trying to be good

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Did you not learn anything from my attempt at altruism?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Let's check in with Derendil, I'm curious if he'll survive. Lucky for him Sanctuary isn't a concentration spell. He had 29 damage and was still stuck in the webs.

Derendil escape: 1d20+3 9. Still stuck.
Giant spider wisdom saves: 3#1d20 8 11 6. Nope, they are scared of the spell.

Another round...

Derendil?: 1d20+3 7. He's losing strength.
Spiders?: 3#1d20 1 3 14. One gets up the courage.
Spider bite: 2d20k1+5 23 1d8+3 5. Ouch. 5 damage. 34 damage done to him so far.

Another round...

Come on big D: 1d20+3 21. He gets free!
He'll provoke OAs to get the gently caress out of here.
Spiders?: 3#1d20 19 20 20. Oh god.
Spiders?: 3#1d20+5 12 10 7 3#1d8+3 8 11 11. Hahaha they all miss. Derendil is free to fall into the grey ooze pool.

So it's up to were and monk to save Marros and escape!

Escaped PCs: Coop, Melimdil
Escaped NPCs: Sarith, Topsy, Derendil

• Locked thread