Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 8 AC: 12

"Augh! Where is my spellbook!? Come on, let's trash the temple!"

Kharkad rushes towards the temple, hopefully followed by the others :ohdear:

:siren:If Kharkad is hit by a modified attack roll of 12-16, he casts Shield(+5 to AC until start of next turn)

-------
Wielding: Dagger(attack +5, damage 1d4+3)
Cantrips: Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Thunderclap
Lvl 1(2/2): Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Going towards the temple, Kharkad and Emen see Marros with a giant spider on top of him. How appropriate for a temple of Lolth.

Ront the orc grabbed a pair of shortswords. He rushes straight at the spider, probably just trying to impress Emen.

Orc vs spider, 2 swords: 2#1d20+5 7 14 2#1d6+3 5 9. He hits it once - this one hasn't been hit yet, Marros's shot missed.

The spider retaliates!

Spider vs orc: 1d20+5 24 1d8+3 4 2d8 7. Hits. Ront gets a poison save: 1d20+3 21, taking half poison damage. 7 damage total.

Kharkad and Emen are up!

Spider HP: 15/26
Ront HP: 8/15

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 8 AC: 12 HD:0d6

Kharkad takes no chances. Magic Missile vs. Spider: 3#1d4+1 2+3+2=7 (is 1d4+3 in link, my bad)

:effort:

[If Kharkad is hit by a modified attack roll of 12-16, he casts Shield(+5 to AC until start of next turn)]
[If Kharkad is hit by acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage, he casts Absorb Elements, gaining resistance to that damage type until start of next turn]

-------
Lvl 1(1/2): Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Shield

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 17, 2015

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Marros
0 hp

Hopefully paralyzed means I can't release my bladder, how embarrassing

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen
HP:13

Emen grabs her own pair of shortswords joins Ront in squashing the oversized pest.

dual wielding shortswords on the giant spider: 2#1d20+4 15, 10 2#1d6+2 6, 6

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Magic missiles and Emen's attacks leave the poor spidey almost dead. Let's go Ront!: 2#1d20+5 25 12. He kills it.

Killing a spider inside a temple of Lolth has to be all kinds of bad luck. Marros seems to have caught it - someone will have to carry his unconscious rear end out of here, or heal him up and let him walk.

Suddenly one of the deep gnome siblings pops out of a trapdoor on the floor. It's Turvy, and he's holding a bag of loot.

"Back off, this is mine!"

Next to the altar is the backpack full of spellbooks and potions and whatnot. It's about time to go. Now or never. You want to take the loot from Turvy or let him dash off with it?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
0 hp

So wait, you said I'm paralyzed right? But not unconscious? if able I'll use Awakened Mind to tell the others (angry dwarf first) "he left us to die, even his fellow gnome, he doesn't deserve that bag!"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yep you can warn them.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder

Pez posted:

"he left us to die, even his fellow gnome, he doesn't deserve that bag!"

"I don't care, I just want my spellb- wait, is this my spellbook?" Kharkad runs over and grabs the backpack with the magic poo poo. Is it his spellbook?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It sure is. There's also a pair of red potions and a silver headdress worth about 50gp.

At the bottom of the bag are whatever arcane focuses and holy symbols the party had when captured.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
0 hp

I think I'll just lie here until someone heals me or carries me out

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen

Realizing Marros might be in need of a bit of assistance Emen does the proper paladinly thing and comes to his aid carrying him with her out of the temple while telepathically asking any nearby ex captives if they can provide medical assistance.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder

"Let's get out of here. Unless one of you is foolish enough to stay behind and operate the lift, we'll be jumping into the webs."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Eldeth says, "Wait! Give him one of those."

She points to a red potion in the bag. Uncorking it, she drips the fluid into Marros's mouth. His eyes flutter awake.

Marros heals 2d4+1. Roll it up. :rolldice:

There's one more potion of healing in the backpack.

With everyone awake, it's time to go. Kharkad, Marros and Emen hop down into the spider webs...where three spiders await. The other NPCs go with them.

I need the three of you to roll DC12 Strength checks until you pass. It takes a couple rounds for the spiders to home in on you. If you pass before, you can help out the others, but you risk being stuck again like what happened to Derendil. Or you can hop down into the water from the webs.

:rolldice::rolldice::rolldice:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
0 hp 6 hp

healing potion: 2d4+1 6

Aah, much better! Thanks! Now to break out of this infernal web!
Str check to break web: 1d20+2 12

Woop! I'll see how the others do before hopping out of the web, even after my last attempt at heroics I'd like to help my saviors.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder

Strength check to break webs: 1d20+3 20 :smuggo:

Kharkad gets the gently caress out of there and drops down into the water.

If he gets hit with a modified attack roll of 12-16, he'll cast Shield to block it.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen

Emen promptly tears through the webbing around her and joins Kharkad in the water.

Strength check to break web: 1d20+2 22

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
6hp

Jump on down then I guess since my buddies are clear, hopefully the NPCs aren't far behind

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Marros, Emen and Kharkad splash into the chilly water at about the same time, followed by a few of the NPCs. There's Ront the orc and Eldeth the dwarf. Shuushar the kuo-toa splashes down right after.

Buppido, the derro, doesn't make it. He gets tangled in the webs and his struggles only make it worse. After a few failed saves the spiders descend on him.

There's no sign of the rest of Marros's 'cleaning crew', they were either re-captured or killed up above.

Derendil is already in the water, and he seems to be fighting off that gray ooze. He's been in here one uneventful round.

The gray ooze rolled a -1 init, it doesn't get any worse, so you all get a chance to fire at it and/or run the hell away. Consider it in melee range of everyone. It's about 15' through difficult terrain (swimming) to reach the shore. Coop is already there with Mel.

Go get em, everyone can take a turn! :rolldice:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
6hp

I've had enough hurt already, gonna get out of the water and head over to Coop and Mel

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 8 AC: 12

ritorix posted:

Buppido, the derro, doesn't make it. He gets tangled in the webs and his struggles only make it worse. After a few failed saves the spiders descend on him.

Unacceptable! That guy has information Kharkad needs. He sets him on fire.

Create Bonfire on Buppido: 1d8 4 initial fire damage, the webs burn away in one round, dealing another 2d4 5 fire damage.

This assumes the webs work like those from the spell Web, and that I can cast Create Bonfire on them.

Create Bonfire posted:

You create a bonfire on ground that you can see within range

Not sure that I can. Your call.

-------

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 21, 2015

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen

Deciding that discretion is the better part of valor when metal corroding ooze is involved Emen leaves the water with Marros.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Buppido is set on fire along with the webs! :supaburn:

Luckily he's still alive after 5 fire damage. The floor falls out from under him, so to speak, and he mercifully falls into the water. There's a hissing sound and some steam rises up where he is. He scrambles away, too panicked to be angry at being set on fire.

I'm assuming anyone else wants to get the gently caress out of the water, and not tangle with the ooze. It's very sad at not getting to eat any of you.

You've escaped from the drow outpost! Let's take stock of who survived.

Escaped PCs: Coop, Melimdil, Emen, Kharkad, Marros
Escaped NPCs: Sarith, Topsy, Derendil, Eldeth, Buppido, Ront, Shuushar

"Holy crap, we survived! Now what? We need to get away, fast, before those drow or demons catch us."

"Screw you guys. I'm heading off on my own, I like the odds better."

"We should only take who would be useful for an Underdark journey. That excludes most of you."

Judging by the cavern you are in, dimly lit by phosphorescent fungi in places, there are three main exits. Since you can't really tell direction underground, I'll call it option 1, 2 or 3. Some of the NPCs might know, but you would have to take them too. You can take along anyone you want, or tell them to gently caress off and go away, up to you. More mouths to feed could be an issue, but they may have valuable information or be friendly to different Underdark factions along the way.

NPC List if you need a reminder of who is who.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Coop
12hp

"I'm a completionist and only want to run through this poo poo once. We take everyone."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 8 AC: 12 HD:nope

"Now I have saved your life. You're welcome," Kharkad tells the singed derro. He goes through the backpack he liberated from the temple, hugging his spellbook lovingly, and taking stock of what he's got.

What did I get from the temple?

"The derro can take us to Gracklstugh, a duergar outpost. They have information I need, and they will have resources for us. We will just have to show them either that they gain more from not enslaving us, or convince them we're not the trouble."

Do we have time to put armour on?

-------

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
6hp

"So, who has a weapon for me and which way is the surface?"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Werewhale posted:

Do we have time to put armour on?

This is a great question! Do you want to risk it?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Here was the loot list:

quote:

Treasure
The contents of the armory include the following:
• 6 chain shirts
• 6 suits of studded leather armor
• 6 shields
• 6 hand crossbows
• 20 cases of hand crossbow bolts, each case containing
20 bolts
• 6 shortswords and 10 daggers
• 6 bags of caltrops (20 caltrops per bag)
• 4 100-foot-long coils of silk rope
• 2 building hammers (not usable as weapons)
• 2 bags of iron spikes (10 spikes per bag)

Plus any arcane implements you brought with you, in the bag from the temple. The bag also had another potion of healing and your spellbook(s?). There was also a silver chain headdress (Lolth spider theme) worth 50gp.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 22, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
As a bonus, all the of armor and weapons are undeniably "drow style". Spiders and whatnot all over them.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Kharkad Snowshoulder

ritorix posted:

This is a great question! Do you want to risk it?

:ohdear: I'm going to play this as a shameless coward so no, I won't risk it.

(Or wait, is it riskier to not put on armor?!)

"Let's just get out of here. Whatever is down here, we're unlikely to run into anything more dangerous than the drow, so let's put some distance between us and them. Buppido, which way?"

From the loot, Kharkad claims a chain shirt, a dagger, and the temple backpack(and its contents). He'll carry whatever needs be carried of the rest, but I think anyone who wants something from that pile can just take it.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Which way? I have no idea where we are. This is the Underdark, you can't just pick a direction and go. Here, if you want to go north, you might have to go east for a day first. And that assumes you know where north or east is. But I agree, we should make for Gracklestugh. There you can equip and resupply amid the only real civilization down here."

"Or we could make for Sloobludop, home of my people. The kuo-toa aren't automatically hostile to outsiders, unlike the duergar."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
"You told me you knew how to get there!"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Coop
12hp

"Sounds like he lied. What about you, Shuushar?"

insight: 1d20+2 3

The ever optimistic Coop implicitly trusts the fishman. Anyone's better than that drat disappointing dark dwarf.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"I would guess this is Velkynvelve, one of many drow outposts."

Sarith, the drow, rolls his eyes. He obviously knows where you are.

Fish-dude continues. "My home is on the shores of the Darklake. Perhaps a week's travel, if we knew the right direction."

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
6hp

Marros grabs a hand crossbow, some bolts and a dagger, plus his arcane items.

"If the dwarf is lost then maybe we should follow the kuo-toa."

Also I'm still pissed that Topsy ran off and left me and the other gnome with the spider, so I'm gonna keep an eye out and make sure he's not coming with our group.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"I'm not lost! Gracklstugh is also on the Darklake, but on the opposite side from Sloobludop. That could put it a month's journey away. Believe me, you surfacers have no idea what you are getting into. If you want my advice, don't eat every mushroom you come across."

The gnomes have definitely ditched you. Within moments there's no sign of Topsy.

~~

So, decision time. You need to decide 1) where to go, and 2) how fast to go. Time for some game mechanics...

Obviously the drow will pursue you, assuming they survive the demon attack. You can travel fast, normal or slow speed.

Going fast gets you away from the drow faster, and covers more ground, but puts you at risk of ambushes along the way. You'll be at disadvantage (-5) to passive perception, and you won't be able to forage for supplies or food as you go.

Going slow either lets you improves your foraging, or lets you group Stealth to get the jump on things, but it will be easier for things to catch up.

Normal speed covers more ground than going slow, without building up the penalties or benefits of going fast.

Travel will generally be hand-waived a day at a time. You already ate and drank today so that's not a problem...yet.

*These travel rules are pretty much the same as the PHB ones, p181-183, with adjustments for being in the Underdark.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 22, 2015

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
6 hp

I vote fast today at least to get away from the drow we just escaped

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Melimdil
HP 6
AC 17
Spells: Lv1:0

Breathing a sigh of relief as the rest of the captives make their way out of the lake to where he and Coop are catching their wind, Melimdil helps himself to some equipment, trying to ensure he's prepared for the journey ahead, and securing his holy symbol again. "It only makes sense to try our luck at Sloobludop first, assuming we're oriented correctly. From there, we can take stock, and try and figure out the best course of action. And proceed elsewhere, if so inclined," he includes, nodding towards the derro.

Grabbing a chain shirt, shield, and shortsword. AC 17! Cast Healing Word on myself for 1d4+3 4

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Kharkad Snowshoulder

Yeah, let's go fast today. Since no-one else is suggesting anything on the subject of which path to take, I'm voting for option 3 for no reason at all.

Also, I vote for not getting into armour just yet. It takes 5 minutes to don a chain shirt. That's 50 rounds, more than enough time for the drow to find us.

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen

I'm gonna vote for getting out of dodge as fast as possible which is to say traveling fast and holding off on equipping armor.

• Locked thread