Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Marros
6 hp

Option 3 is fine with me, let's go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Alright, option 3, fast speed. Go go go!

Actually, first there's a complication. As you all are preparing to get the gently caress outta here, there's a loud crash as something tumbles out of the sky.

It's a vrock. That's a CR6 demon, for the record.

It's badly wounded, with 11HP left. Looks like it has been fighting the drow and whatever else is up there. The thing screeches in anger and pain.

Vrock init: 1d20+2 8.

:rolldice: Roll init. If you beat that 8, take a turn. You can either get in melee (assume its within like 20 feet) or stay away.

If anyone has a copy of the Monster Manual, you can also take control of an NPC too. Go ahead and choose one. Your options include:

Sarith - drow stats
Derendil - quaggoth stats, injured from the spider fight
Eldeth - scout stats (p349), you can tweak it to be a 'dwarven scout' if you want
Buppido - derro stats, 5 damage from that fire
Ront - orc stats, has 2 short swords

I want each of you to handle an NPC until it dies or leaves. I might jump in with certain behaviors but you can run them around most of the time. The exception is the kuo-toa; Shuushar is a pacifist and won't fight!

ritorix fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 22, 2015

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 8 AC: 12 HD:nope

I'll take Buppido. We're practically kin, after all :v:

Initiative:: Karkhad1d20+2 9; Buppido 1d20+2 21

Buppido shoots the vrock with a hand crossbow: 1d20+4 11 1d6+2 4

"gently caress it," says Kharkad.

Magic Missile vs. vrock: 3d4+3 11 :smugwizard:

-------
Wielding: Dagger(attack +5, damage 1d4+3)
Cantrips: Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Thunderclap
Lvl 1(0/2): Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Shield

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
That magic missile may or may not have just killed it! I'll give you all a chance to grab an NPC and beat on the demon some more.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Melimdil
HP 6
AC 17
Spells: Lv1:0

Grabbing his newly-recovered holy symbol, Melimdil focuses his power towards the vrock. A mote of moonfire sparks into being on its feathered form, the radiant power reacting violently with its demonic form. He backs away as his allies lay into the beast, trying to keep himself out of harm's way.

Initiative: 1d20+2 10
Action: Sacred Flame vs Vrock: 1d8 4 if it fails a Dex save.

Meanwhile, Ront:
Ront Initiative: 1d20+1 13

Ront the orc has almost exacted his fill of vengeance for this day, but not quite. He leaps upon the vrock, attempting to sever its beakly head from its neck, but it proves perhaps a more resilient foe than he thought.

Ront Shortsword vs. Vrock: 1d20+5 12 1d6+3 4

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Coop
12hp

Coop reads the Quaggoth entry in the Monster Manual and wonders whether he's a thonot--aka a psionic quaggoth. Lying about his identity, or perhaps it was implanted, like a replicant from Blade Runner? Now that he thinks about it and looks up gray ooze it seems they have a psionic version too. Food for thought. But food hidden behind his pot helmet if anyone else is looking.

Still, he fought hard to save people so seems trustworthy. "Stay back, Derendil. You do the most damage probably but are wounded, and I don't know if the DM is going to give you death saves or not. Let it be garbage time. We'll handle this."

He draws a hand crossbow from the giant chest of them that someone is just toting around and shoots the demon from a safe distance then retreats lest it fight back.

init, xbow, dmg: 1d20+3 11 1d20+5 15 1d6+3 7

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
6hp

I'll keep up with the drow I guess. He's gonna grab a hand crossbow, chain shirt, and dagger from the pile. Knowing the dangers of the Underdark, while these surface dwellers mercy kill the demon he's gonna put on armor.

Marros has a crappy initiative so won't even roll for his cantrip he was gonna use

Initiative: 1d20+2 5

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen
HP:13

Emen's intuitive 1d20-1 18

Disregarding the etiquette of honorable combat Emen continues the dogpile on the already wounded hellbeast with twin shortswords.

dual wielding shortswords on the giant vrock: 2#1d20+4 12, 6 2#1d6+2 4,4

Eldeth's intuitive 1d20+2 13

Meanwhile Eldeth grabs a hand crossbow and takes a quick shot at the creature before retreating away from it.

hand crossbow on vrock: 1d20+2 11 1d6+2 7

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The vrock dies, horribly. Derendil points out that hey, you could probably cook this thing. Maybe like bird meat? After all you are about to embark into the dark with zero provisions.

Sounds of combat are ceasing throughout the cavern. The drow have probably wrapped it up by now. They'll be right on your tail.

You killed a demon, that's worth some xp! Everyone reaches level 2. Go ahead and level up right now, and we'll do a bit of a travel montage (at fast pace!) This is also a good time to update the inventory on your characters, taking whatever gear you want from the list and probably leaving the rest behind or to NPCs.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 14 AC: 12 HD:1d6/2d6

Stars appear at the ground by Kharkad's feet and spiral upwards around him before fading away. For a moment he is lifted off his feet as new knowledge sets into his brain in the form of two new spells, one of which would have really come in handy ten minutes ago.

Taking 4+2 new hitpoints rather than rolling. Learning Feather Fall(Kharkad plucks a feather from the vrock and stows it away as the material component) and Burning Hands, because apparently I really like setting things on fire. Sleep.

Also gaining Abjuration Savant and Arcane Ward.

-------
Lvl 1(1/3): Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Shield

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 23, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Coop
20hp

"You were an elf before, you know how to break down a creature after a hunt I take it?" Handing Derendil a shortsword. "I'm gonna stay back because this demon's probably poisonous even while recently dead and uncooked, but according to the Monster Manual you're uniquely immune."

Maybe this way I can test the quaggoth's alibi too.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

#notallelves

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen
HP:22

"I would normally vote we avoid trying to eat the thing made out of pure evil entirely but seeing as we seem to have little choice at the moment I think someone non poison resistant should test it before everyone digs in" Emen stated as she gathered up a makeshift set of equipment "I suppose I'd be willing to if no one else volunteers".

Monk E fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 23, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Coop
20hp

"If i get some rest I can probably heal poison with my godgiven healing powers. Twice."

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Melimdil
HP 12/15
AC 14 (17)
Spells: CD 1 Lv1: 0

Gain 6 HP, one Channel Divinity, more 1st level spells (eventually). Get equipped with shortsword, shield, chain shirt (not worn), and 100' of rope, plus my holy symbol. Let's rock and roll!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
12hp

I HAVE THE POWERRRRRR!

Gained 6 hp (adjusted down for my current wounds), fixed my AC since I don't actually have leather armor, gained a spell and 2 Warlock invocations. Carrying a crossbow, bolts and a dagger and my arcane components and doodads. Oops forgot the garnet you gave me at the beginning need to add that bit of loot.

As for the beast, "I've eaten worse on the streets, I'll try a bite."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

quote:

<Majuju>: poo poo do I need material components?!
<Ritorix>: not if you started with an arcane focus, thats in the bag from the temple

Kharkad rummages around in the backpack liberated from the temple and pulls out his five-foot staff.

"I thought it felt a bit lumpy."

Since I don't have to avoid material components, I'm learning Sleep instead of Burning Hands.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
12 hp

"Oh good, you had my amulet in that bag, thanks" #arcanefocusbandwagon

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Out of the Abyss
Chapter 2

Hey, we made it past chapter 1. Beating the odds already.

Alright, so chapter 1 was all about your new, lovely situation and escaping from it. You managed to get away with some gear, but no real provisions. That part might come back to haunt you, especially with the large number of NPCs in tow. A quaggoth's gotta eat.

Now you are loose in the Underdark. It's an endless maze of caverns miles below the surface, with no obvious signs of direction or routes back to the top. Travel down here is far slower than strolling through the forests above - tunnels and passages are often difficult terrain and the routes rarely go in a direction you want to head. They twist, turn, climb and descend and you have little choice but to go along for the ride. And something might leap at you from the shadows at any moment.

For now I'll take it a day at a time. I'm tracking the pursuing drow and your general location. You just hauled rear end at a fast pace for the day. Down here, that means you covered a few miles. Eldeth is your navigator for the moment, and since she's not familiar with these tunnels she's really just focused on leading you 'that a way!' as fast as possible. There's a decent chance of getting lost (survival, -5 for fast pace): 1d20 9. She needed a 10 there, and is clearly stressed by the situation. After a while it seems like you've come through some of these tunnels before.

Hours wasted: 1d6 6. Most of the 8-hour day is spent going in circles in the unfamiliar terrain. At least the pursuing drow are going in circles too, and are probably struggling to keep up with your brisk pace. You haven't seen any sign of them.

There's always the risk of encounters along the way: 2d20 20. Which encounter?: 1d20 1. Very well...the boneyard it is.

That night - well, not that you can tell time here, but you all feel tired as gently caress, you finally collapse. I would say one place is as good as any other, but this particular cavern is pretty drat creepy. It's littered with countless bones of various creatures. Maybe it's a graveyard for some species, or just a former lair. Either way it's full of bones that you might be able to cobble together into something useful, I suppose.

As you all finally rest, Derendil butchers the vrock, scavenging enough food to feed everyone if they want to risk it. +One pound of tainted rations per person to your inventory. There's obviously something unwell about the meat: anyone eating it will count as having eaten for the day, but you need to make a DC10 Wisdom save. Each person needs a pound per day, but you can go a couple days without food. Water will be more of a problem: you haven't found any during your mad scramble, and if you don't get a gallon each tomorrow you are into exhaustion levels.

Either way, you both ate and drank already today back at the outpost, so you aren't in immediate risk. You will be tomorrow.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So, after taking some time to digest all that, there are a few questions before you all continue to day 2.

1) Pace? Do you want to keep rushing, risking staying lost and not getting water? You can also go at normal or slow speed, but those drow are still close by.

2) Jobs? If you don't go at fast pace, some of you can forage for food. I'll assume Eldeth is still on navigation duty unless someone else has a high survival skill. Assign yourself and your NPC to a job.

Some job ideas:
-Forage for food and water. Make a DC15 survival check for your day's efforts. If you pass, roll 1d6+your wisdom mod. That's how many pounds of food and water you find - describe it however you want, but remember it's 1 pound per person per day. Your large group will need a lot.
-Draw a map, so you dont get lost again if you come back this way
-Stay on lookout as you travel. This adds your passive perception to the group's odds of not getting surprised. The navigator and other job-havers are too busy to do this too. List your position in the group: front, middle or back, to cover those areas.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Coop
20hp

Coop has +2 to to Perception and Investigation, but nothing on Survival and no wis mod to buff foraging. Sounds like he should Stay on Lookout or Help someone more Wis focused with foraging.

Derendil has +1 wis mod but no proficiencies. Strangely enough, he has 10 passive perception from an editing error. Unless his 120ft darkvision is really important he should probably be on Help forage duty too. Or map duty, to find out if he can write in Elven or if he's a secret thonot impostor.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 14 AC: 12 HD:2d6/2d6

Kharkad has poo poo Wisdom, but good Intelligence and +4 to Investigation, if that matters. Kharkad will march in the middle, analyzing the surroundings with Investigation+4, looking for clues as to hidden stuff or locations, anomalies in the tunnel(such as weak points we could collapse, wet rock that could indicate water).

Buppido has a -3 WIS mod, so he'll be practically useless in foraging, but he does have +4 Stealth. Buppido will be in the front, using his Stealth+4 to help us move unnoticed.

Kharkad Investigate; Buppido Stealth: 2#1d20+4 9 8 :v:

-------
Lvl 1(3/3): Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 23, 2015

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen

I guess Eldeth will stay on navigation as suggested as for Emen she'll stay in back and help map.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Melimdil
HP 12/15
AC 14 (17)
Spells: CD 1 Lv1: 3

Well, I've got +3 Wis (but no other training), so I'll lead the foraging gang, with my buddies Ront and Derendil I guess.
e: oh also I've got access to Create Water and Purify Food & Water so that's helpful!

I'll memorize Purify Food & Water, Create/Destroy Water, Healing Word, and Sanctuary for the duration we're travelling, which lets me create 10 gallons of water and remove any poison or disease from any food-type stuff we come across (I'm assuming this includes the vrock meat?)

Foraging: 1d20+3 21 1d6+3 4
Ront Foraging: 1d20 10 1d6 3

Mel and Ront search for food as the gang rambles, coming up with a meager selection of mushrooms and cave isopods, but nowhere near what the group will require.

Majuju fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 23, 2015

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
12 hp

So I am a big moron, and happened to see the equipment list from earlier and realized I missed a lot of what's available. As soon as I'm at my PC I'm editing my sheet to have studded leather, and my drow buddy will take a short sword along with the dagger and crossbow. And we'll both take caltrops.

As for jobs, I'm thinking the drow is good for foraging or leading, and if someone else is mapping then Marros will forage too even though his Survival skill is non-existent.

Foraging for food: 1d20 12

Nope.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Majuju posted:

I'll memorize Purify Food & Water, Create/Destroy Water, Healing Word, and Sanctuary for the duration we're travelling, which lets me create 10 gallons of water and remove any poison or disease from any food-type stuff we come across (I'm assuming this includes the vrock meat?)

This will definitely make things easier on everyone, just track your used-up spell slots. You can purify the vrockwings and remove the demonic taint. Your kuo-toa tag-along still refuses to eat it, or any meat. He's a pacifist vegan. Foraged shrooms will do fine for him.

In the future roll some dice so I don't have to. Let me be lazy.

Day 2 summary

Derendil scavenging: 1d20+1 9. Nada.
Sarith scavening: 1d20 8 1d6 1. Nada.
Emen is on map duty, good call. The maze of passages starts to make sense.
Your scout is Coop with 12 passive perception. That was the highest available.
Eldeth is still naviguessing. She has that pesky change of getting lost (survival): 1d20+5 24 but after wandering in circles all yesterday she can at least pick a direction and go. You get a full day of travel.
Kharkad kept his eyes peeled but this place is alien even to a half-surface dwarf. I'll leave what happens to chance again.

Any encounters?: 2#1d20 18 7. Oh yes. Terrain/Encounter: 1d20 4 1d20 2. You win a...(ahem, consulting the tables...) ah ha! More randomness: 1d20 1. Oh, that could be interesting. One more: 1d20 19, ah you lucked out. Just ignore me here.

The Fungus Cavern

A few hours into the trek you come upon a massive cavern full of bizarre fungi. An underground stream trickles from the ceiling and collects in the center of the cavern in a still, black pool. You finally lucked out and found some water!

As for the fungi, they are all the same, though of varying heights and thickness. Each one is between a few inches to 2-foot tall, with a single orange cap. They fill the cavern and surround the pool of water. Sarith the drow says, "these are torchstalks. Be careful with fire around them, lest you blow us all to pieces."

While we are glossing over most of the travel, sections like this might have items of interest and are back to normal time. You see the pool about 120' ahead of you, what do you do?

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Kharkad Snowshoulder
HP: 14 AC: 15 HD:2d6/2d6

"Someone should definitely investigate that pool."

-------
Lvl 1(3/3): Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"I suppose I could go for a swim and check it out...uh, does anyone want to join me? No?"

He looks around nervously.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
12hp

Marros hears the drow's warning and decides a few of those torchstalks might come in handy. "Are they safe to carry? Can they be used as a weapon?" If it seems not completely a bad idea to the drow Marros will carefully cut a few and stick them inside a pocket and hope He doesn't get hit by a fire.

As for swimming.... not me. But we should see what we can find/rig up to carry water in, starting with the empty healing potion bottle that was used on me earlier.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Sarith tells you that once picked, they won't hold their 'power' for more than an hour. But until then they can have an explosive effect. They can be used as a torch, too, but some of them just blow when lit - and you can't tell which will do that.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

If we pick a bunch and let them de-power, are they edible?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Sarith has no idea because that's crazy. But you can try!

:psypop:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Okay, well, plan B, then. Melimdil tells the kuo-toa to hold up on his swim, before picking a half-dozen of the larger mushrooms and throwing them as far as he can into the lake.

Mushroom Toss: 1d20 19

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Are you lighting them first?

If you just throw em in the water, nothing happens. You get soggy mushrooms. Seems to dampen their explosive nature.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

The first batch are unlit, yeah. If nothing's happened, I light a new one and throw it in. After telling everyone to stand back and trying to find myself a safe-ish place to throw from.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Marros
12hp

Disappointing, I was hoping to potentially suicide bomb if we were outnumbered at some point. I'll cut some for potential explosions the next hour or so then keep them for desperation eats.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Sarith cringes and ducks when Mel lights one and throws it.

Bad things on 6: 1d6 2. Nothing happens.

It does light though, and the end burns like a torch. When it hits the water it sputters out.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Coop
20hp

"We can probably lure some horrible things in here and blow them up later. Good to know."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Just don't light one up in a cavern full of them. That would be painful. Briefly. Well, if the festivities are done, I'm going to take a dip in the water."

The kuo-toa wades into the water, and he's quickly floating.

"This is deeper than it looks. It goes way, way down there. I'll take a quick look."

I'm sure this is nothing...: 1d20 5 2#1d20 2 7 1d20+6 10 2d6+4 10 1d20+6 14 2d6+4...

At first there is nothing, then bubbles erupt on the surface. Moments later, he erupts from the water and screams horribly. Quite pathetic and blubbery, really. Then he shouts,

"CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL!"

Whatever that is, it's probably right behind him underwater. You all get a round to act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Emen

"I don't quite understand what Shuushar said I do know running and screaming are usually considered universal signs for bad news."

edging towards the water and readying an attack action for if anything else comes out of the water .

• Locked thread