Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isn't the prevailing theory that Linear A is the Religious language and Linear B the secular?

Seems like it would be a bunch of prayers to bulls, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
bulls or bull dykes?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
If we are to believe Black Athena we must first recognize that many African tribes were matrilineal

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Therefore we can conclude that matrilineal based societies are doomed to fail so hard they are not studied

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
The post so stupid it needed to be three posts.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Agag posted:

*cracks dead language after lifetime of academic study, translates ancient clay tablet*

"Owe Kadmos three pigs, pay after harvest"

most writing systems were developed specifically for keeping records of stored goods and poo poo like that so you're probably not far off

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
i loving love me some time team

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

These Bronze Age people are no match against our modern weapons! KILL EVERY loving LAST ONE OF THEM IN THE NAME OF THE BLOOD GOD AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! :getin: :getin:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Agag posted:

The post so stupid it needed to be three posts.

I've never lost a CK2 game using agnatic inheritance, which further verifies my conclusions

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Agag posted:

*cracks dead language after lifetime of academic study, translates ancient clay tablet*

archeologists and anthropologists eat that poo poo up tho, they love boring examples of pleb life because it reminds them people have been people since forever

yes that is a fact they need constant reminding of, they are some the aspiest professionals around

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Agag posted:

there are like 7 or 9 cities of troy, all built in different eras in the same place. the one in the book is likely 7, around 1190bce.

anyway one of the versions had a 3 ft deep moat, pretty effective before siege machines and such. when it was excavated they found a dead horse in it with a broken neck. archaeologists loving bent over backwards trying to assign some kind of ideological or religious meaning to that drat horse. i think the fucker just fell in the hole and they left him there to die

archaeologists over think everything

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pitdragon posted:

i don't know if i have the chops to pull off electricity but i could probably manage a crappy steam engine or something

actually it would likely be best to skip something as complex as a steam engine and skip straight to electricity. an alternator is simple as gently caress, you just need copper wire (lol bronze age, no problem there) and a lodestone. a battery would also be relatively easy to make out of lead

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hard counter posted:

archeologists and anthropologists eat that poo poo up tho, they love boring examples of pleb life because it reminds them people have been people since forever

yes that is a fact they need constant reminding of, they are some the aspiest professionals around

motherfucker youve never lived until you read a dissertation on tobacco paraphernalia refuse in british colonial forts

archaeology has shifted away from being concerned about the elites to the little guy. its why plantation and slave archaeology is big today

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I'm just a yeoman farmer and will soon be brutally murdered by invaders who want to eat my goats.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

*furiously masturbates to depiction of anubis as Thebes burns around him*
*gets skull caved in by raiding Hittites*
*becomes first gay furry to die for his beliefs*

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
im an invader and murderer whose favorite food is goats

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

hard counter posted:

I understand the utility of it for sure, its just not as much fun as unearthing a sequel to the Epic of Gilgamesh.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

motherfucker youve never lived until you read a dissertation on tobacco paraphernalia refuse in british colonial forts

archaeology has shifted away from being concerned about the elites to the little guy. its why plantation and slave archaeology is big today

do you know how many medieval profs got their first boner in 40 odd years when they discovered old records and letters from a surprisingly literate french village?

a lot of old farts shot dusty loads to Claude writing about his nagging wife and her unemployable brother moving in 900 years ago.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hard counter posted:

do you know how many medieval profs got their first boner in 40 odd years when they discovered old records and letters from a surprisingly literate french village?

a lot of old farts shot dusty loads to Claude writing about his nagging wife and her unemployable brother moving in 900 years ago.

it goes back to there not being that much more to see anymore until and if someone finds something big. academics in those fields have to take what they can get. aint that many king tuts left in the world

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
gently caress!!! I waited one week too long to unload my Bronze, and now I'm stuck with all this stock. My neighbour was telling me to hop on the Iron bandwagon, but I was sure the market wouldn't peak until November.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Agag posted:

I understand the utility of it for sure, its just not as much fun as unearthing a sequel to the Epic of Gilgamesh.

how dare you think the contributions of one dead human are any greater than another dead human

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

gender illusionist posted:

im an invader and murderer whose favorite food is goats

These must be great times for you then.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i wonder what meaningful socio-political concepts Doane postulated while in the mines today

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Blistex posted:

gently caress!!! I waited one week too long to unload my Bronze, and now I'm stuck with all this stock. My neighbour was telling me to hop on the Iron bandwagon, but I was sure the market wouldn't peak until November.

Repurpose those kopesh blades into sickles for the farmers. They will by psyched to upgrade from clay.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
In three years, bronze age man will become the largest supplier of military bronze armor systems. All bronze bombers are upgraded with bronzodyne spears, becoming fully unwood. Afterwards, they fight with a perfect operational record. The bronze Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online August 4th, 1150bc. Human decisions are removed from bronze defense. bronze age man begins to learn Iron at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug...

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Raider posted:

it goes back to there not being that much more to see anymore until and if someone finds something big. academics in those fields have to take what they can get. aint that many king tuts left in the world

yeah, but with all the new tech out there people are still finding a ton of neat poo poo that would have been impossible to find otherwise

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Agag posted:

Repurpose those kopesh blades into sickles for the farmers. They will by psyched to upgrade from clay.

I was set to sell them to the army as the profit margins on weapons programs are great. Making the bronze into farm implements means I will just barely break even. I'm sure bronze will bounce back once this Iron fad passes.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
*gets hunted and killed by a wild animal, dragged back as a trophy to it's cave dwelling*
*bones are discovered 15,000 years later and gets declared a new species of Homo*

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

*gets hunted and killed by a wild animal, dragged back as a trophy to it's cave dwelling*
*bones are discovered 15,000 years later and gets declared a new species of Homo*

fossilized remains gay, so what

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Blistex posted:

I was set to sell them to the army as the profit margins on weapons programs are great. Making the bronze into farm implements means I will just barely break even. I'm sure bronze will bounce back once this Iron fad passes.

Age that poo poo and sell as "heirloom weapons and armor from the lost city" you'll make a killing

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SerSpook posted:

Age that poo poo and sell as "heirloom weapons and armor from the lost city" you'll make a killing

I think I'll try unloading them on these tribes around the frontier. They're dealing in this new coin currency that is supposed to really take off. I can get 200 Bits for 50 spear-points.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

well semi-recently somebody realized that history is only about the 0.1% of important people and so it paints everybody else in broadstrokes if at all

nobody cared for pleb life and their stories never got told

so now if you publish a dealie on a bark drawing of a peasant walking around with a spear wedged between his thighs making dick jokes under the the abstract 'they were so relatable' it seems like you're breaking new ground

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hard counter posted:

well semi-recently somebody realized that history is only about the 0.1% of important people and so it paints everybody else in broadstrokes if at all

nobody cared for pleb life and their stories never got told

so now if you publish a dealie on a bark drawing of a peasant walking around with a spear wedged between his thighs making dick jokes under the the abstract 'they were so relatable' it seems like you're breaking new ground

exactly. and you certainly do break new ground. just not in a way that anybody really cares about. like i said a few posts up, slave archaeology is big now. but what do you know: most slaves had dirt floors and ate a lot of chicken. the only two remotely interesting thing about slave digs is you turn up a loving lot of colored glass beads and a lot more of them had guns than history would believe

thats one of many reasons i got out of archaeology. the subject matter is mega boring in practice.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

hey Minos u know why they call me 'the bull'?
cuz when i hosed ur cow of a wife she gave birth to a minotaur

*grabs crotch*

I'm the curse Pasiphae placed on Minos so he ejaculated spiders when he tried to cheat on her

Fake edit: no, I'm the spiders

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

thathonkey posted:

seriosuly gently caress you op gently caress your thread this thread is poo poo

nuh-uh

Bronze Age collapse owns

You get to have a post-apocalyptic future before Rome was a republic

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Raider posted:

exactly. and you certainly do break new ground. just not in a way that anybody really cares about. like i said a few posts up, slave archaeology is big now. but what do you know: most slaves had dirt floors and ate a lot of chicken. the only two remotely interesting thing about slave digs is you turn up a loving lot of colored glass beads and a lot more of them had guns than history would believe

thats one of many reasons i got out of archaeology. the subject matter is mega boring in practice.

i went to a dig once when i was younger because my grandfather is an archaeologist and the women wouldnt stop talking about good places to poo poo and how many socks theyve lost because they had to poo poo and that time they almost got caught taking a poo poo so apparently when archaeologist ladies arent digging stuff up their making GBS threads nonstop

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

i went to a dig once when i was younger because my grandfather is an archaeologist and the women wouldnt stop talking about good places to poo poo and how many socks theyve lost because they had to poo poo and that time they almost got caught taking a poo poo so apparently when archaeologist ladies arent digging stuff up their making GBS threads nonstop

making GBS threads is a big deal when you hit the field at like 6:30. ive always called it taking a morning constitutional

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

I was totally an archaeologist, but it was just, like, digging up old bones and poo poo. I didn't sign up for that boring crap. I'm a sandwich artist now.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

thathonkey posted:

i agree. gently caress op. quote this post until thread is closed if you agree.

why do u hate the bronze age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Agag posted:

I was totally an archaeologist, but it was just, like, digging up old bones and poo poo. I didn't sign up for that boring crap. I'm a sandwich artist now.

queer i dealt with southeastern woodland culture and specialized in speculative burial rituals. the pay was dogshit so i got a real job and havent looked back. as soon as you know a thing about anything you can step up you muslim loving human being

• Locked thread