Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
I like black licorice

I like it with salt more

I am an American but my forefathers come from Norway

there might be a connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

why is scandanavian food gross?

because they live in a northern hellhole where regular food can't grow, that's why

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

reminder that native scandanavians decided to send their boats to literally everywhere they could that wasn't scandanavia, but they got all buttmad since they found other people there and started venting their butt frustration by raping nuns and then converting to christianity

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

extra stout posted:

i really like black licorice but its hard to find good stuff, in america the best kind is usually marketed as 'australian licorice' which seems weird that they did something right if its true

do the scandinavian ones taste like that with salt in it, or different? the stuff im talking about is brown on the inside like 1 of your examples, and very very good, reminds me slightly of gingerbread dough in there

Scandinavian licorice tastes almost nothing like black twizzlers or their cousin "Australian Licorice".

This will give you some idea what the rest of us are talking about.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Sauna > Salmiakki

the steam bath my ancestors invetned is better than salty fuckin liquorice

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

you can buy salty licorice at ikea

or at your local Scandinavian foods shop

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Scandinavian licorice tastes almost nothing like black twizzlers or their cousin "Australian Licorice".

oh yeah that's the stuff, oh man, this stuff will make your tongue shrivel like a salty slug, this is the closest you can get to eating poo poo without actually eating poo poo. Personally, I just eat poo poo, my tongue drops out of my mouth and I rub feces all over it all day, at least that way I get all the flavor of poo poo, that I love, without getting poo poo all over my teeth and gums.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

a bone to pick posted:

oh yeah that's the stuff, oh man, this stuff will make your tongue shrivel like a salty slug, this is the closest you can get to eating poo poo without actually eating poo poo. Personally, I just eat poo poo, my tongue drops out of my mouth and I rub feces all over it all day, at least that way I get all the flavor of poo poo, that I love, without getting poo poo all over my teeth and gums.

Swede eatin tasty lakrits all day errday. Sweet or salty, chewy or hard, it's all good. Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Dutch, Australian, even Italian. Don't hate and discriminate, it's all good.

When I fly through Finland I pick up salmiakki vodka and boxes of sisu.

E: but what's up with that red poo poo you call licquorice? It's not. Quit it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 11, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I love salty liquorice. Luckily my sister lives in Sweden now. Once a year when there, I refill my stash.
Also nice if not salty: Chili liquorice

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

never tried those. i can vouch for these bad boys though

http://www.amazon.com/Bubs-Godis-Salt-Skallar-Original-Licorice/dp/B00JCCSLHG/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=14CWHZ2KKSBHT4S6JWKR

get your fix

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tasty stuff ITT

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 11, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's extremely good but fucks up your blood pressure like nobody's business, op

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you reminded me that i had a box of the new terva (tar-flavored) pantteri. pretty good

edit: ate it all in one go, i'm a loving goon

quakster fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 11, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I like all of it, but I especially like the ones shaped like gummy fish.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

HoboZero posted:

There goeth the thnikkamaaaaan

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Childhood tax free trips =

Fun fact: a dozen Swedes get licorice poisoning every year. Eating more than 50g/day can cause you 11β-HSD2 enzymes to get out of whack from all that lovely glycyrrhizic acid, so your liver can't turn cortisol into cortisone as normal. On the other hand, you got to eat a poo poo-load of tasty candy.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Salmiaki is good and all, but no Dutch licorice fans here? Double Zout bricks make any salmiaki I've tried taste sweet in comparison. That poo poo burns

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
this stuff'll make you a goddamned sexual tyrannosaurus:

or give you high blood pressure and heart palpitations :getin:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

lilljonas posted:

Fun fact: a dozen Swedes get licorice poisoning every year. Eating more than 50g/day can cause you 11β-HSD2 enzymes to get out of whack from all that lovely glycyrrhizic acid, so your liver can't turn cortisol into cortisone as normal. On the other hand, you got to eat a poo poo-load of tasty candy.

that owns

50g in licorice terms if what, a large handful a day? wouldnt you have to do that a whole lot of days in a row to get poisoned by a candy that doesnt have poison warnings

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

extra stout posted:

that owns

50g in licorice terms if what, a large handful a day? wouldnt you have to do that a whole lot of days in a row to get poisoned by a candy that doesnt have poison warnings

It also varies, some kinds have more of the acid in it. But yeah, about half a small bag of licorice per day over a long period of time is a bad idea.

It's also a bad idea if you are in risk of high blood pressure to begin with. If you are in at risk of high pressure and live in Scandinavia, chances are your doctor will tell you to keep away from it as much as possible.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

lilljonas posted:

It also varies, some kinds have more of the acid in it. But yeah, about half a small bag of licorice per day over a long period of time is a bad idea.

It's also known to have a certain laxative effect.

Apart from that, it is the food of the gods.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

maniacripper posted:

gently caress slated licorice

Gin Gins biotch

Yeah, these are good, and so is salted licorice.

As a dane, I might just a bit biased with regards to the licrorice - or could be that I'm just a pervert who loves salted licorice and ginger chews?

I'll leave this to Jeremy Clarkson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgheHFvQsr4

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Salmiak owns bones, I've been munching on this poo poo since I was kid and will continue til the day I die.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Foulbrood posted:

this stuff'll make you a goddamned sexual tyrannosaurus:

or give you high blood pressure and heart palpitations :getin:

Salz Brezeln is better.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I love these so much

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Tukisk Peber anyone?

There's also some sweets by the same company which are just salmiak (ammonium chloride) and no licorice.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you haven't drank it straight from the flask, you haven't lived

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This stuff looks and tastes like salty rabbit turds.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Dubbelzout; most superior salty licorice!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
this shits delicious except for the urinal cup-like aftertaste

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

lilljonas posted:

only 50? welp... i'm hosed

Gimbal lock posted:

This stuff looks and tastes like salty rabbit turds.

the little round balls? yeah those do. when it's bad it's like salted reindeer crap, and some of this stuff is bad. gotto do some research to sort it out. i'd stay away from the icelandic varieties like that. those guys eat rotten shark and live on a volcano. their tastes are a bit weird. the good swedish/danish/german stuff is totally different and owns

The Whole Internet fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 11, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Proof that salted licorice is the most Metal candy you can eat. It's black and salty like an old corpse that's been baking in the deepest pits of Hell itself, and if you eat a moderate amount of it on the regular it gives you chest pains (that probably won't kill you BUT MAYBE IT WILL).

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Any good stuff that isn't a compete rip-off you guys would recommend. I want some salty poo poo.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, i like it

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ChaseSP posted:

Any good stuff that isn't a compete rip-off you guys would recommend. I want some salty poo poo.

Katjes Salzige Heringe was the first kind I tried that got me hooked, and still probably the best I've had so far.

Also these were given as a free sample from some Amazon seller: http://www.amazon.com/Jahnke-Salmia...keywords=jahnke and were pretty great.

And salty licorice toffee is really loving good but not at all salty.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I like all manner of salty black liquorice but they give me uncontrollable farts, so i only eat if i know that i won't be in public.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Throw all the black licorice my way. Love that stuff.

Super rope used to make black licorice (Was the BES) now they only make red. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i discovered salty licorice when i was in norway and there were these 2 people who had a little stand on the street selling homemade stuff. i never liked licorice but i thought "eh maybe its better when it's fresh" and WHOA HOLY poo poo the clouds parted and doves flew down all around me and they started farting rainbows it was amazing

• Locked thread